Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Exciting game. Amy dialed back the weirdness, but it doesn't surprise me in the least that she has a trained cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Hey y'all guess who got an audition invite for May 30th in DC :whatup:

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

zakharov posted:

Good luck! Get on the drat show!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I haven't watched since Amy left (and also since Elder Scrolls Online launched). After the Battle of the Decades, I really just feel like everyone else on the show is an idiot.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

zakharov posted:

Congrats! Be prepared to wait a while before they call you up for an episode taping, though.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

GhostStalker posted:

Congrats! Be prepared to wait a while before they call you up for an episode taping, though.

Oh I know, this will be my third swim in pool. Third time's the charm.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Who is Mandela Mandel

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

the colosseum? The loving colosseum? loving idiot.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
This is probably the wrong place to ask, but I have a Jeopardy audition coming up. Have any of you gone through with one before? I don't know what to expect, and I'm getting anxious.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Crow Jane posted:

This is probably the wrong place to ask, but I have a Jeopardy audition coming up. Have any of you gone through with one before? I don't know what to expect, and I'm getting anxious.

I will be doing my third shortly. Here is what will happen.

1. A very energetic woman named Maggie will welcome you. She and her staff will take a photo of you and have you sign a bunch of paperwork.

2. You and the ~20 other people there will get another 50 question test. Clues are projected at the front of the room and read by one of the Clue Crew. You have 8 seconds to answer each one. Unlike the online test you can correct old answers.

3. After they grade the test, you'll be called up in groups of 3 to play a mock game with buzzers. In this portion, it DOES NOT MATTER if you get answers right. They are looking to see if you can speak loudly and clearly, answer in the form of a question, pick the next clue quickly, an follow their directions.

4. You'll be interviewed based on the 5 interesting stories they tell you to bring. They'll ask you about your job, one of your stories, and what you'd do with the money if you won. This is your chance to show them you belong on tv. Smile, show energy, speak up, and charm them.

After the audition, you'll be in the pool for 18 months. By getting this far, you've beaten the odds. About 100,000 people take the test. 3,000 are called to audition, and about 300 of those will make it on the show. With that in mind, the audition itself is lots of fun. Enjoy the experience for what is and don't put too much pressure on yourself.

Good luck!

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

zakharov posted:

I will be doing my third shortly. Here is what will happen.

1. A very energetic woman named Maggie will welcome you. She and her staff will take a photo of you and have you sign a bunch of paperwork.

2. You and the ~20 other people there will get another 50 question test. Clues are projected at the front of the room and read by one of the Clue Crew. You have 8 seconds to answer each one. Unlike the online test you can correct old answers.

3. After they grade the test, you'll be called up in groups of 3 to play a mock game with buzzers. In this portion, it DOES NOT MATTER if you get answers right. They are looking to see if you can speak loudly and clearly, answer in the form of a question, pick the next clue quickly, an follow their directions.

4. You'll be interviewed based on the 5 interesting stories they tell you to bring. They'll ask you about your job, one of your stories, and what you'd do with the money if you won. This is your chance to show them you belong on tv. Smile, show energy, speak up, and charm them.

After the audition, you'll be in the pool for 18 months. By getting this far, you've beaten the odds. About 100,000 people take the test. 3,000 are called to audition, and about 300 of those will make it on the show. With that in mind, the audition itself is lots of fun. Enjoy the experience for what is and don't put too much pressure on yourself.

Good luck!

Thank you for the helpful response, and good luck to you too! I thought I'd bombed the test, I was really surprised to get the invitation.

I've heard it's good practice to watch Jeopardy standing up, with a pen to click if you know the answer. And, of course, to practice answering in the form of a question. It'll feel ridiculous, but I'm gonna give it a shot.

I'm guessing just normal business casual attire for the audition?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Wear whatever you'd wear to appear on the show. And yeah, that can help. If you're naturally a reserved person you may want to practice speaking up and smiling a lot. Yes it feels silly but it will probably help!

Edit: Don't tell them you'd put the money into savings or pay off your student loans. Even if it's true.

zakharov fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 12, 2014

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Don't forget that, during the interview portion, you want to give them a reason to remember you. When they ask you what you like doing, don't just say "reading and watching movies," and when they ask what you'd do with the money don't just say "travel." Be creative!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Aww yeah, nothing like seeing all three contestants write nothing during Final Jeopardy when you said the answer during the "Think" music. :smug:

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

CPColin posted:

Aww yeah, nothing like seeing all three contestants write nothing during Final Jeopardy when you said the answer during the "Think" music. :smug:

The winner was wearing peace symbol earrings as well...

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
If you drew it, would you get a correct response?

I was kinda surprised they didn't give the backstory of the peace sign.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
No way I was getting to that bad boy last night. Get dumb finals out of the way before I get on the show plz.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Sandie Baker infuriates me

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

sportsgenius86 posted:

Sandie Baker infuriates me

She might be the most Midwestern person.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Based off of her current win streak, I can't help but think about something the head Contestant Coordinator mentioned to us potential contestants in the Jeopardy Green Room before our tapings regarding a champion that taped after Arthur Chu but hadn't aired yet and her eventual win streak... Sandie might be the person she hinted at...

Can't mention what exactly she said, due to NDAs and stuff, along with potential spoilers about unaired episodes, but her performance makes me keep thinking about it now...

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
What is with Jeopardy contestants knowing gently caress all about Breaking Bad?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

GhostStalker posted:

Based off of her current win streak, I can't help but think about something the head Contestant Coordinator mentioned to us potential contestants in the Jeopardy Green Room before our tapings regarding a champion that taped after Arthur Chu but hadn't aired yet and her eventual win streak... Sandie might be the person she hinted at...

Can't mention what exactly she said, due to NDAs and stuff, along with potential spoilers about unaired episodes, but her performance makes me keep thinking about it now...

Guess not :(

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

wa27 posted:

Guess not :(

Yeah, I just saw as well... drat, guess I'll have to wait to see who she was referring to...

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

That Final Jeopardy question was pretty loving hard. There is like nothing notable about Franklin Pierce except apparently that.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

My problem with Sandie was that 75% of the time she answered correctly, she acted like it was some kind of happy accident. If you're going to be really good at Jeopardy, I want you to be a dick about it.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

That Final Jeopardy question was pretty loving hard. There is like nothing notable about Franklin Pierce except apparently that.

The most notable thing about Pierce is how completely non-notable he was.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

sportsgenius86 posted:

My problem with Sandie was that 75% of the time she answered correctly, she acted like it was some kind of happy accident. If you're going to be really good at Jeopardy, I want you to be a dick about it.

god I miss Arthur

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Colonial Air Force posted:

The most notable thing about Pierce is how completely non-notable he was.
Also that he was actually a really bad President, supported the Confederacy after leaving office, and is a direct ancestor of George W Bush.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

So which one of you is Jake

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Also that he was actually a really bad President, supported the Confederacy after leaving office, and is a direct ancestor of George W Bush.

He had a bad cabinet, and his ineptness at reigning them (or maybe just that he didn't care) is what made him a bad President. He, himself, was pretty useless/boring in office.

I didn't know about the Bush thing, though.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
So that Salvation Army logo...was that captain a secret Targ or something?

angry climber
Dec 6, 2010
Hello, jeopardy noob here.

I was wondering, has anyone ever risked an insurmountable lead on the final question, on purpose? Say, the leader has 25k and the 2nd place has 10k. The leader can safely bet up to 5k and be guaranteed to move on. Has anyone been so confident in their knowledge of the subject that they bet so much that they put themselves in risk of losing?

Thanks.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

angry climber posted:

Hello, jeopardy noob here.

I was wondering, has anyone ever risked an insurmountable lead on the final question, on purpose? Say, the leader has 25k and the 2nd place has 10k. The leader can safely bet up to 5k and be guaranteed to move on. Has anyone been so confident in their knowledge of the subject that they bet so much that they put themselves in risk of losing?

Thanks.

It happened once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=botdmsQilnU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Whoever wrote the closed captioning just missed the point of the category and wrote "What are 'dirth' and 'Earth'?"

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
"Dirth" is not a word, I think.

Oh, also, turns out Arthur Chu will be giving a talk at my/our college reunion in June. Too bad I already have plans...

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Correct. The category was "D Minus," where the responses would be two words, where the second was the first word, minus one "D." The captioner should have written, "What are 'dearth' and 'Earth'?" Knowing the category would have bailed out whoever made that typo.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I just turned on Jeopardy and the first thing I heard was "What is getting shot in the face.... By Dick Cheney?". I wish I heard the clue for that one.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

wa27 posted:

I just turned on Jeopardy and the first thing I heard was "What is getting shot in the face.... By Dick Cheney?". I wish I heard the clue for that one.

It was something along the lines of "harry whittington was best known for this." and category was "accidents" iirc. Was a pretty funny response.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Julia is no joke. It's a shame that the Tournament of Champions is so far away, lots of great champs this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

wa27 posted:

thathonkey posted:

It was something along the lines of "harry whittington was best known for this." and category was "accidents" iirc. Was a pretty funny response.

Yeah, it was something to that effect. The clue had a date (or was it just a year?) and his name and occupation, and asked what he was best known for.