Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

IRQ posted:

Well he is. I spend about 25% of Wheel of Fortune being amazed that Vannah White is still alive and also has the easiest job in the world.

It's even easier now. She used to have to turn the letters but now they just light up with the letter. All she has to do is walk up and touch them. I doubt her touching them even does anything, it's just for show because well, that's what Vanna White is supposed to do. She's technically no longer needed to make the game function.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

The Human Cow posted:

Trebek is a weird, weird dude. Apparently, he just shaved off the moustache between shows one day and didn't tell anybody he was going to do it. Makeup flipped out.

That's funny. They couldn't do anything about it and he knows it. He's pretty much synonymous with Jeopardy.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

tk posted:

I get so angry when the contestants start choosing the clues out of order. Especially when it's a category with a weird theme and the first clue kind of eases you in.

So you'd be the OCD contestant?

I just remembered, my oral surgeons wife was on Wheel of Fortune and won one show. She got like, $2,000 for the main game, won a trip to Fiji due to a lucky spin and puzzle solving and then won the $25,000 prize. I was irritated as hell because her husband charged me $12,000 for the 20 whole minutes he took to take my wisdom teeth out. Fuckers didn't need that money. :colbert:

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

escape artist posted:

There's a cheat sheet somewhere that I read, which I would make into flash cards if I ever got called up. For example "Painter from Venice" is always going to be Titian, "Polish composer" will almost always be Chopin, etc.

It would be awesome if you could find this. Do you remember what it was called at all?

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

raditts posted:

Holy poo poo, $12,000 to take out your wisdom teeth?!

I can't tell if you are 'holy poo poo'ing' because you think that's high or low. It's actually not that bad.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

I don't think you have anything to be ashamed about. Even though you didn't win you still did very respectably. How much did they tax the money you won? Also, did you take down the "Becoming a Jeopardy Contestant" entry? I read the one about going on the show and you got a pretty good laugh out of me with this part:

The Human Cow Blog posted:

We headed back to the green room to be re-made up and to take one final bathroom break. I remember standing in the bathroom, looking in the mirror, and trying to center myself and calm down. It reminded me too much of Dirk Diggler at the end of Boogie Nights (with one big difference), so I gave up and went back to the set.

I think I heard Ken Jennings talking about how important 'buzzer timing' is on the show and you covered that as well. I noticed in the video that you can hear you guys frantically pressing your buttons. Is that why sometimes a person will go on a 5 question tear? They found the rhythm of the buzzer for a moment? Does getting a question wrong or them cutting to a commercial break this rhythm?

Glenn_Beckett posted:

That said, I can still slaughter high-schoolers at both Jeopardy! and Quiz Bowl. I say this because I am a small and petty man who cares about beating children 10-14 years his junior. Ugh what a piece of poo poo.

The Teen Jeopardy shows are always my favorite because I can at least answer those!

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 28, 2012

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Also, thank you to whoever suggested Ken Jennings twitter:

Ken Jennings posted:

Every night around 11pm, NPR falls asleep and in its dreams it becomes smooth jazz or maybe the BBC World News.

Ken Jennings posted:

Hey little kids calling your parents by their first names: see you again when you drop out of art school & move back home in 15 years!

Ken Jennings posted:

We make our kids leave money under our pillows every time one of their adult teeth grows in.

Ken Jennings posted:

Yeah, I don't care if your kids are cute. The little girl from Escape to Witch Mountain is now one of the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills

Ken Jennings posted:

Al Roker shouldn't be allowed to host holiday parades until he gets fat and jolly again.

Ken Jennings posted:

SAPIENS! (no homo)

Ken Jennings posted:

when my kids ask where babies come from, I tell them a claw machine. a claw machine full of babies.

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 28, 2012

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

So if someone is in the zone when it comes to the buzzer and is running the board for a bit, how do you break his rhythm? Can you? Is it possible to buzz ahead of him in those cases or do you just have to wait it out?

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Glen_Beckett posted:

Mutter "hey, human being."

This was all I could think of when I was watching Jeopardy the other night and it made me giggle like an idiot the whole time. I tried to pick which contestant I thought was most likely to do this.

...yes, I'm easily amused.

CarbonCpy posted:

But I totally agree with you, they really lost something in the aesthetic in going with the touchscreens.

One of my favorite parts used to be when Vanna would get to a letter before it lit up and would just stand there with her hand on it staring like, "hurry the gently caress up!"

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Ken Jennings did an AMA on reddit today. He is a pretty funny dude.

This first AMA is pretty hilarious too. I particularly like this answer:

quote:

Question: Did you have a "Duh!" moment when you missed the final jeopardy question with your answer of FedEx or did it truly stump you?

Ken Jennings Answer: I always did my own taxes. I could have thought about that question for 30 minutes, not just 30 seconds, and still blanked it.

Constructive note to all the people who like to come up to me on the street and tell me how "easy" that one was and "even they" knew it: go to hell.

I can't imagine how loving irritating that would be.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Glenn_Beckett posted:

e: how would you NOT guess Mark Twain with a quote like that from 1886? THOREAU? What a bad guess, you absolute poo poo!!!

I really wish you could go on the show and react like this to people. Complete with finger pointing.

Good luck with your White Whale hunts people! I'm not even going to bother.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Island Nation posted:

The one anecdote I can recall watching offhand is some guy who didn't win telling Alex he watches My Little Pony (the one half the Internet watches) although they didn't say the name on the show.

They didn't say the name of the show? That's almost weirder, how did that work? Did he describe it or something? Was Alex like, "So Bob, I understand you like watching cartoons geared toward little girls?"

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Someone posted this in the GBS YouTube thread and I thought I'd cross post it here since someone brought it up earlier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFEBCve-3Cw

It's a hour and a half documentary on the guy who "cheated" on Press Your Luck. I put cheated in quotes because he technically didn't cheat, just figured out the pattern and rhythm of the board. It's a pretty interesting watch and the guy looks loving psycho. If I didn't know better I'd say he just scared the Whammies away with his psycho crazy eyed stare. It's got interviews with the game host, the two contestants who played the game with him and some of the people behind the scenes in production.

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jan 8, 2013

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

uublog posted:

Oh my god I've seen that like two or three times already but I'm still tempted to watch it again. It's a seriously captivating story and depressing as heck he just went through life going from one get rich quick scheme to another. I'm almost surprised he was the first (only?) person to figure that out but then I remember how much work it must have taken to do it on a VCR. I'm glad they filmed it before Peter Tomarken's plane crash in 2006, RIP

I was surprised he was the only one to figure it out as well, but yeah, this was 1984 and I don't think VCRs were even that common then. But once you learn the pattern he's looking for, I couldn't unsee it.

The craziest 'get rich quick' scheme to me was when he brought home $50,000 in dollar bills because there was a contest on the radio that if you match a serial number they read out on a dollar bill you'd win some cash. He made his poor wife sit there and look through 50,000 bills every loving day to try to find a match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Glenn_Beckett posted:

Thank God. I hosed up a few that I should have known. I got thrown by the Egypt one's directions and put Algeria (still way wrong with Sudan), and I put "Rover" as the Mars robot's name instead of its actual name "Curiosity." I'm pissing right now.

Would you would be the guy you'd be yelling at on the show while watching?

Also, reading those questions and answers posted above I got most of them, however I know I would have poo poo the bed while under the gun.