Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

stay the same never change
This should be a good thread! I would abandon any RPer ternt LPer apprehension (mentioned in a retsutalk maybe) since you're doing a great job so far.

I only played, and never finished, the first Mario Galaxy. I've always heard 2 was nothing but an improvement but I had a hard time believing it. I feel like I've seen so many Mario platformer sequels sort of be total rehashes of the first game, so I am looking forward to seeing what I have been missing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

beep by grandpa posted:

The local GameStop had only one copy, used, and it didn't have the case so I was like cya later shitlords, walked down the strip to Target and got it brand new for $50 :tipshat:

I don't know how these games hold their value. There was a time when both Galaxy 1 and 2 were selling for $50 and it was maybe the first time I've ever seen that.

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

I kind of like the attitude of (and of including) an instant kill poison mushroom and think it should appear in more Mario games going forward.

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

RentCavalier posted:

Rayman Origins has no lives system and that game is the best. Therefore, lives systems is dumb.

The lives thing seems like a totally outdated holdover from the past that has been turned into an arbitrary reward item number increaser.

But to be honest, thinking back, maybe it felt kind of weird not having lives present in Rayman Origins. I guess because it's a platformer, but maybe it is so engrained in the genre at this point that excising them entirely just feels weird.

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

I guess in some regards Origins (I don't know much about Rayman beyond that game) has more in common with something like Super Meat Boy than it does with recent Mario games. Which are still essentially old Mario games at heart.

Maybe that is why I don't actually like Rayman Origins very much at all; which is an opinion I alone seem to hold and am made to feel bad about on a semi-regular basis. Expectations in the wrong places, not being the game I thought it would be, etc. Thinking most of the art is kind of icky. Ow ow I will stop now.

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

KevinCow posted:

Wait, you can brake with the turtle shell? How?

The Z button.

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

pumpinglemma posted:

I've always hated the Super Guide feature. I want to beat the game on my own, and having a character pop up and ask me to admit that this level is too hard for me just feels like the developers mocking me.

The worst is the poo poo that New Super Mario Bros. Wii pulled where if you even see the Super Guide your profile stars will no longer glimmer:(

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

KevinCow posted:

Exploring a big, mysterious castle was a big part of playing that game for the first time, and is also something that none of its sequels have really captured.

It's always been pretty crazy to me that they absolutely nailed this on their first try and have had nothing but either of failed attempts (the decent but ultimately tedious Delfino Plaza) and :effort: (SMG1, the bland world maps in all the New Super Mario Bros. games) since. I do think it's fun how more and more creatures start to inhabit the faceship in SMG2, but that cute cozy feeing isn't really as impressive as getting to explore the castle ever was.

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

Death Bot posted:

The main thing that stands out for me is that Mario 64's levels often don't seem intentional, but instead a sandbox of random geometric objects just kinda slammed down here and there.

I kinda like it because of that, though. At least now that I have the context of three other 3D Mario platformers to compare it to. I don't think something like the empty underwater town in Wet Dry World could really have been "intentionally" created today.

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

It's a shame you couldn't find one of those beautiful fanmade MS Paint maps made for Bowser's Lava Lair.

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

FinalGamer posted:

Seeing the bonus stage with that lone goomba far away is actually a really neat detail of keeping it all in the level. I like that. Also billboards love you and gently caress YES LUIGI YO!

Using something like the Yoshi hover trick, what happens if you flutter jump over to that bonus area? Does it act like regular level geometry, or does entering into a 'bonus area' via something other than a warp give rise to any sort of issue?

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

PureRok posted:

Goombas are the brown mushrooms that you eat and Toads are the red and white polka-dot mushrooms that kill you.

I'm totally not on board with Goombas being mushrooms. They're clearly just a species of squat little monsters! Also: not totally OK with Toads being Amanitas, either, but the Goomba thing is priority no. 1.

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

LAY-ZX posted:

If there was a Luma who introduced himself as ♥♪!? and never did anything else he would be my favorite character.

Oh wow. How did this not happen?

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

Diabetus + Slowbeef + dynamic Blisters.

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

I don't know how, but I never noticed the background had changed in Mario Party. That is pretty great.

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

I don't know who is talking. Both look capable of being accused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

I'm pretty sure that 'realistic' and 'gritty' mario fan art are some of my least favorite things.

• Locked thread