Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
Aw man, a Diabetus LP of a Mario game?!

Just the thing I needed before my night shift, thanks Betus! Already enjoying your laid-back style for such a beautiful game. So glad to see more people bring more attention to this amazing sequel.

I hope you remembered your towel, or this game is gonna get real tricky.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Vicas posted:

welcome to the club
Already here brah, this'll be fun for us to watch in catharsis.

Vicas posted:

Her special abilities are jumping a little lighter and getting very close to fires.
Meaning Daisy would make an excellent news reporter, Frank-West style. You won't even need a name tag printed when she remembers her name so well.

"HI, I'M DAISY 8D"

...I kinda wish they go back to Sarasaland one day in a Mario game, why not expand her world some if you're bringing her in so much?

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Vicas posted:

Yeah, I don't think I ever ran into a situation where I really needed more star bits while I was playing. But I am a pretty compulsive collector.
But...

shinies

And YAAAAY DAVE_O :neckbeard: I'm so happy to hear from him again, such a chill dude. And in the first video with Yoshi of all things, that's just fantastic. It really warms my heart to see Yoshi flying with Mario through space after a Launch Star, looking so happy.

The Faceship reminds me of Macro Zone from Super Mario Land 2. I like to think it was inspired by that. Also, Diabetus, were you serious that you hoard things in games? Because I do it to a pretty insane level.

....I finished both Fallout 3 and New Vegas with over 140 stimpaks. v :shobon: v

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 26, 2012

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

President Ark posted:

What is it with younger siblings and deleting save files? Why do they always do this? :argh:
One time, the Sega Saturn trolled the gently caress out of my family by doing this on its own. I started it up one day, and we had the memory card for it which was the size of a SNES cartridge you stick behind the CD-opening top.
Turns out either my memory card or the Saturn memory cards in general were a piece of poo poo, and it completely wiped out my dad's save file of Tomb Raider.

He was on the last level.

He blamed me for deleting the memory and punished me for it even after I swore I didn't touch it :(

Then about two weeks later the memory card wiped itself in front of his eyes and he...I THINK he apologised but I wish I could remember that.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Senerio posted:

I did it twice with Banjo Kazooie.
The "delete-save" button was Z.
I rest my controller on my leg when not using it.
I was at Click Clock Wood. :negative:
...oh wow.

You poor poor motherfucker. Click Clock Wood was a loving chore, especially when in the original version you had to recollect every note again after you die in a level, which thankfully they fixed in the Xbox Live port and the notes STAY collected.

That helped a LOT in Click Clock Wood.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Glazius posted:

I like that they've got Yoshi respawn points now, like they had power mushroom spawn points in the first galaxy. Yoshi's just a big fraidy cat if he doesn't have his buddy, I guess.
I find it still adorable that he runs away in panic when an enemy hits him :3: but at least he's brave in other ways now. We'll see evidence of that later.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

I really hate how Mario games still keep resetting your lives to 5 or 3 the moment you replay your game. But on the other hand, they make getting lives back absurdly easy.

Also, RAINBOW MARIO is just a gorgeous thing to see anytime.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

KieranWalker posted:

Glad to know I'm not the only one. I tend to drive myself crazy trying to pick them up when I actually play the game. They seem to induce an "I MUST HAVE IT" mentality.
Because SHINY

SHINY SHINY SHINY

God videogames are so Pavlovian nowadays...wait no that's achievements, this is just plain ol' magpie instincts.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

kalonZombie posted:

Hell, giving away too many lives is a problem that goes back to Mario Bros 3, where you could easily cheese the game into giving you 5 lives every three levels.
You call it problem, I call it opportunity. :colbert:

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

pandaK posted:

Noki Bay was one of the coolest stages. It was like you were stuck in a deep grotto. Grottos are cool, right?
The deep underwater segment of Noki Bay has The most beautiful music in the entire game too.

Also YAY Chip and Ironicus! :neckbeard: aw man I'm loving your guests so far Betus, this makes everything so fun to watch. Also gently caress I hated Spin Dig Galaxy...though I did like the new powerup they gave you here.
Still wish they brought back the Ice Flower though, I mean come on, you could wallkick up waterfalls for gently caress's sake. The only powerup I genuinely hated was Spring Mario.

The Toad Brigade are awesome by the way, they're probably my favourite group of Toads in all of Mario. Hell they're the ONLY Toads I genuinely like in all of Mario.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

It would be enhanced by an announcer (Luigi, possibly?) yelling "DRILLLL!" every time you pick it up.
RRRROCKET!

Okay seriously Sonic Colors I now realise was an awesome game thanks entirely to Pokecapn. There's ripping off something badly and then there's being inspired to make a pretty good game.

Anyways, can't wait for the next world Betus!

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Ariong posted:

Have you played Paper Mario?
To be fair that was made by Intelligent Systems who are a separate in-house division, and as such take Mario a different route than Miyamoto himself does. Actually I dunno how much control Miyamoto has in the RPG games compared to his platforming baby.

Monkey Fracas posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUu0hy8Aa6E&feature=youtube_gdata_player

My favorite Mario game plot is the one from the Gamecube tennis title.
The outtakes are even better. Best part is what Waluigi says at 1:12.

Seriously I wanna buy this game now, this looks fun as hell. That was some Wacky Races poo poo right there and it was awesome.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Drakli posted:

I tend to assume Mario dies of pure shame. Either that or he put one of his lives up as collateral.
"Oh no, I must-a commit seppuku!" *-1 life*

Also Rightside Down Galaxy was the most loving incredible thing when I first played this game. Still one of my absolute favourite levels in the game.

My absoLUTE favourite is way way further on, but it's not one of the main levels I'll say that much. But why are Gearmos such loving douchebags who can't even do their own drat jobs?
Do they all drive white vans across space or something?

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

ArgonMatrix posted:

:siren: CHALLENGE! :siren:

Point is, I've made a video of myself getting through the first mission of Fluff Bluff without using the Cloud Suit. You can check out that video by clicking the flower.

Also, I'm not too apt at recording modern games. I did the best I could with the knowledge I have, but the quality's still pretty sub-par. I hope you can forgive me for that.
:stare: okay the part going across the three clouds with the ? block I was pretty impressed at. Nice work, and that's some pretty fine recording too I gotta say!

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

NoodleBox posted:

Maybe bowser just has a harem of Koopa concubines, and he told bowser Jr. Peach was his mother so he could avoid scandalous accusations
This is just like one of my many favourite Mario fanfics! :goonsay:

Okay no seriously I have no idea, I always thought the Koopalings were kids, but I'm okay with them being just subordinates too.
As for Gobbleguts, I'm no doctor, but if it's a swelling UNDER the skin involving the stomach, you need to see a vet. He had a very serpentine anatomy and snakes have absurdly long organs.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Digital Jello posted:

Bowser's supposed to be a king, isn't he? I just thought of the Koopa Kids as his royal nobles or something. Despite having played the poo poo out of Mario 3 back in the day, I can't for the life of me remember anything mentioning they were actually Bowser's own kids. In fact, I only thought they were cool cause their names were loosely based off of 80's rock stars.

As for Bowser Jr., all I can say is...screw who his mother is/was, he's just adorable :allears:
FINALLY someone agrees, I seriously think Bowser Jr. is the most adorable thing :allears:

His bratty-rear end crying when he loses in Double Dash is just precious.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Holy balls that is fanfuckingtastic. Piecehomepeac is one swell guy to make that for ya :D

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

The moment Diabetus started up this LP, I was hoping Slowbeef would come into this, ever since I remembered his fake-out of this game during Metroid Prime 2.

So awesome. Also, wow that is a sweet-rear end song, I can't believe I forgot all about it! Thanks for linking us to that Betus :D now it's gonna haunt my dreams forever with hoedowns a galaxy wide. I forgot about this galaxy too, this one's really kickass with the platform destruction you have to gauge with.

A jargogle posted:

This game is fantastic in every way apart from exactly one thing. It is a bird.
NO

NOT CANARY MARY :argh: gently caress YOU AND gently caress CLOUD CUCKOOLA-wait gently caress wrong game.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

DoctorStrangelove posted:

So when is LimePopsicle going to co-commentate?
Yanno I actually HAVE always wanted to ask this, to either Slowbeef or Betus.

Were you guys serious on getting BillyMC to be a co-commentator in future? Or was that a joke during Corruption?
Because I would genuinely love that to happen one day :3: no joke.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

"Pony."

Seriously, he has the bright colours and cartoony eyes for it. ...I REALLY want to use that smiley they just added, but it's not allowed is it?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

...welp. Congratulations.

I have never cried more over a level 1 enemy more than I have now. :(

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

JT Jag posted:

I enjoy those little moments when you know, with absolute certainty, what is on the other side of a link.
You too huh?

But seriously, that guy? That guy and his whole family are loving amazing people.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

How does mail work in the galaxy?

Simple, mass effect fields :science: speaking of sci-fi games, that tiny dodecahedron at 16:30 looked verrrry like the starship from The DIG...except honey-glazed.
This makes me happy because I can make it a reference in my head :3:

I love the idea of Dave_o being in every Yoshi vid, it's wonderfully consistent! The crystals on Boulder Bowl look gorgeous too, I love the fractals in them.

Also those Dash Peppers are kickass...I wonder if you can get a Starman at the same time and get Rainbow Mario while riding Dash Yoshi.
...a rainbow...while dashing. Hmmmmmmmmmm...:catstare: welp, can't wait for the next part.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 18, 2012

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Mr. Bill posted:

Oh my goodness the turtle shells have brake lights on them :3:
I know, it's adorable as hell :3:

I actually really love the water levels in both Super Mario Galaxy games, a far cry for me from the water levels of the previous games.

The 2D games annoyed me with the CONSTANT FISH and BIG BERTHA THE MOTHERFUCKER.
Super Mario 64 was just...not BAD but a little clunky as expected. But not bad, Nintendo certainly did better work in the underwater department with these games, especially with the automatic-swimming of the turtle shell.

And freezing the entire galaxy is just loving COOL, and I am so happy they still let you walljump up waterfalls again. I forgot they did that in this game too, but somehow it was just that much more awesome with the Ice Flower. Since it was just controlled areas you jumped on while ALL the water around you is still falling. So awesome.

Andorra posted:

I loved the ice levels in this game. You should press 'Z' next time you're skating. :slick:
Wait, what happens if you press Z while skating? Do you like skate backwards or something?

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Kobold posted:

I think crouching resets the flutter jump... at least, that's how it looks in the video. You flutter, crouch at the apex, and flutter again.
Wouldn't crouching in mid-air cause you to butt-stomp? Least that's how I remember it since it's with the Z button.

Also, maximum overdrive of adorable yoshi sounds made my day. :3:

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

morsanlgeos posted:

As it turns out, if Yoshi's butt stomp would have been a surprisingly appropriate fix for this glitch, but alas, they forgot to give Yoshi one of his signature abilities.
...oh...wait he DOESN'T butt stomp in this game?!

...god drat I forgot about this game a lot. :stare:

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The Toad Brigade proudly announcing that they found a coin for Mario is honestly one of the funniest things I've ever seen in a game.
"GOOD LUCK BRO, WE'RE BEHIND YOU ONE-HUNDRED PERCENT! 8D"

And you just know that all of them are doing this the moment you show up to take that coin.

...god I love those fuckers, so useless yet I would miss them so much if they weren't in this. :3:

So this was badass, Mario sure knows how to make their boss levels feel...dare I say it, boss, as it were. Also no those floor-devouring boneheads were not in the first Galaxy game. Is it even POSSIBLE to add more chain chomps mod this game at all?
I also love how they use the red door for Bowser, as customary as it should be for all boss entrances in Meh-rio games. I have to say I love the Bowser boss fights in this one more than in Galaxy 1, not that the ones in the previous games were bad! Just...I dunno, SHOOTING A METEORITE AT HIS loving FACE is kinda more badass than spinning fists into his spinning body.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 30, 2013

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Drakli posted:

I have to say, I must politely disagree. I think the Galaxy 1 Bowser fights were better, largely because they were funnier! Watching Bowser miss aim his jumps and then run around on the tiny planet clutching his butt with his tail on fire was hilarious, especially when the boss music decided that turtle dragon pratfalls were EPIC and started getting in with the intense battle chorus.

To me, part of what I like about Bowser is that he actually simultaneously manages to carry off the vibes of big scary intimidating monster warlord, and love-ably laughable oafish villain who's too much of a dingus to realize it probably isn't a good idea to put an axe on one end of his battle bridge overlooking a lava pit. He probably put spiked mines around his arenas in Super Mario 64 because they look totally badass.
Oh I'm not saying the Galaxy 1 fights were worse, I'm just saying I liked...yanno what, gently caress it, both of them are awesome. Galaxy 2 is badass and all about POUNDING poo poo IN, whereas Galaxy 1 is a real saturday morning villain fight, kicking the spinning dragon-turtle-warlord around like he was a hockey puck. So one is more cool-looking, the other is more funny. I do like also that Bowser balances between "evil world-conquering demon" and "cartoonish buffoon with no sense of hindsight". At least in the platformers.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Phlox posted:

I feel like Bowser creates all of these levels for Mario because he's really bored. I can imagine him sitting in that throne room with nothing else in it for hours just waiting for Mario, after all he was pretty excited when he showed up.
They're codependent on each other's existence. The villain cannot exist without a hero to stop him. The hero cannot exist without a villain to fight. They'll always keep fighting forever. A lot of classic stuff does that, though they REALLY take it to a literal extent in Zelda.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Red Suit posted:

Does that mean Mario is Batman and Bowser is the Joker? :stare:

David D. Davidson posted:

It's more like Tom and Jerry really, interdependency and all that.
Both work really, though the latter's more true since they go karting and everything pretty well. It's boring in the Mushroom Kingdom as Neruz said, but NOW we got a goddamn GALAXY to go to :aaaaa:

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Azriel Odin posted:

I still haven't seen a game where Mario and Bowser start to sing along together about how good it is to have a friend, though.

I kind of want to, now.
Wii Karaoke U

It must happen.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Bruceski posted:

It judges based on the characters. For max points you need to sing Mario with an Italian accent, Bowser like a death-metal lead vocalist, and all of Yoshi's lyrics are "yoshi."
As Daisy, it's like Yoshi except the lyrics are all "Hi I'm Daisy". Which would be perfectly in tune with UZ Worm's suggestion.

UZworm posted:

I'm imagining a version of this except with Mario characters and a microphone added.
EVERYONE DO THE TRASH COMPACTOR!

Okay seriously, that's loving terrible, but it's also loving hilarious and I am never gonna stop listening to that. I would love if Nintendo did something like that with their own characters. Honestly I'm surprised they haven't already after the DDR game (which for me actually does have some pretty sweet-rear end music).

Pyrovile posted:

Well they got halfway there, they just need to add lyrics now.
I will never ever get tired of Bowser breakdancing as if he ISN'T a 500lb turtlefuck. :allears:

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Seeing the bonus stage with that lone goomba far away is actually a really neat detail of keeping it all in the level. I like that. Also billboards love you and gently caress YES LUIGI YO!

Everytime Luigi offers himself up, I always pick him for a ride along :3: guy needs to get his adventure on yo, gotta show he's the BEST! Seriously though I'm really happy they give you that option.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

ArgonMatrix posted:

:siren:Challenge!:siren:

So I already had a challenge idea lined up for Tall Trunk Galaxy, namely completing the first star without the Blimp Fruit, but it seems I've also been dared to do Cloudy Court cloudless, so I went ahead and tried that one without knowing whether it was possible. See how it all pans out it this exciting double feature!

Motherfucker.

:golfclap: good effort sir. I'll take that. How come the clouds didn't disappear again after you spin on them?

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Spelling Mitsake posted:

On the other hand, I'd say the consistency in Sunshine was a nice touch. Especially seeing the other levels in the distance.
That was my favourite thing about Sunshine. The fact that you FELT the world all around you, you really could see other areas far out to sea where you would be going, it had a wonderful consistency.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

You asked for it Betus. You asked for it. Sorry if I brought up any bad memories slowbeef. :ohdear:

So I always loved the ghostly galaxies in the Mario Galaxy games, despite hating the Ghost Houses in Super Mario World. LOVE the rearrangement they put there and gently caress YES LUIGI!
I also want to point out that after nearly 20 years, Yoshi has FINALLY gathered up the bravery to enter any ghost-infested area. My baby dino's all grown up. :3:

I'm so proud of him.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 9, 2013

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

MassRayPer posted:

He had the courage to enter them in Yoshi's Island. Something happened in Yoshi's life (his story one might say) that gave him a fear of ghost houses. Perhaps Galaxy 2 happens prior to Super Mario World in the established Mario canon.
...OH wait a minute, Yoshi got just-hatched out of an egg or something in Mario World didn't he? He must have been very young or maybe it was another Yoshi not...from...Yoshi's Island-okay fuckit I dunno what happened to him but it's good to see he overcame that fear.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

ArgonMatrix posted:

Hmm... yeah, okay.

:siren:Challenge Video!:siren:

In addition to the challenge showcased above, I also went and showed how to get through Haunty Halls Galaxy without using the Bulb Berry. This one's short and sweet, so enjoy!

Holy poo poo Yoshi loving curbstomped that galaxy.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Boos are an entirely separate spectral species. There are actual ghosts and then there are Boos. There was a toad's spirit haunting a train in Paper Mario:TTYD for example. Least I'm PRETTY sure that Boos exist as a separate entity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Y-Hat posted:

I remember the original Super Mario Bros. instruction manual saying that Goombas were Mushroom Kingdom traitors who joined Bowser's army.
Indeed! That's some bizarre Original Sin-style background they wanted to put in with Goombas but I don't think anyone really cares anymore.

• Locked thread