Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
Nearly two years later and Bridget STILL hasn't come back from the shave the NSPCA gave her. She literally has no undercoat and being a house dog, gets chilly during nighttime winter walks. She's much more willing to walk when I pop a little jacket on her, but I wonder if I'll have to use it forever. I do plan on moving back to the northeast sometime in the near future and if she thinks Vegas is cold, she's in for a shock.

Beau's coat recently went apeshit and I have an appointment with our fabulous new groomer this weekend for her to tackle it. It seems like no matter how much I brush/comb it, there's always more. :stare: The last time she did a brush/bath on him it took four hours (she hand fluff-dries), so I'm assuming this is gonna be an all-day venture.

Lady's gonna seriously earn her tip this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011
I'm not a BYB because I live in an apartment.

Rixatrix posted:

The coat really looks so bad it's pretty hilarious. Is she blowing her undercoat?
Nope. In the earlier picture she had blown her undercoat and topcoat, but in the other she's still growing them both... This is the most coat she had before a spay.

Captain Foxy posted:

All double-coated breeds experience different levels of temperature discomfort while blowing coat; it's well known that they act like prissy bitches during.
This may be true for small dogs. I've never seen any issues related to temperature discomfort even due to major coat blows like the one depicted and the ones I've seen after each and every delivery (like so) nor your garden variety coat blows (like so). My dogs dislike -20 no matter the stage of their coat and +80 unless they've blown their coat completely due to hormones. They certainly don't act like prissy bitches ever.

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Learning Disabilities: Cat Edition

joyfulgirl129 posted:

How much bathing is too much bathing? My little yorkie-schnauzer mix just hit adolescence and finds the grossest crap to roll around in, and now his favorite target is his own poo and our other dog's pee. Being a teenager, he's also lost the "leave it" command because gently caress you mom lol. I've given him three baths this week, using Filthy Farmgirl poochie soap, and he doesn't seem itchy or dry, just determined to smell the worst he possibly can at all times.

Welcome to owning a terrier.
Ideally you don't want to bathe more than once every week or two, but as long as the stuff that you're using is fairly mild, I don't see a problem with it. Maybe hit him with some conditioner or something.

demonR6 posted:

Ooh found a pic of Lady when we first rescued her.. this is what her coat looked like a few years ago. She's filled out since then.

So what do you think now after seeing this?

I say daaang what a snazzy looking girl.
In all seriousness, it could be that that was her puppycoat and this new coat that came in is her adult coat

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

The Big Whoop posted:

I say daaang what a snazzy looking girl.
In all seriousness, it could be that that was her puppycoat and this new coat that came in is her adult coat

Wonderful, her puppy coat was beautiful and has been replaced with a batting material suitable for stuffing pillows and comforters. I'll contact IKEA as soon as possible.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007

We have Cavaliers, and that is what they looked like as puppies - their hair was short, smooth and glossy with a little curl at the end of the tail. Their ear fur was curlier though.

Now that they are 4 they have more curly hair - they look a bit like Lady when they have had a bath and I've hit them with the hairdryer and fluffed them up. Normally though, I just let them air-dry so they don't look like they've stuck a toe in a power socket.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Oh her hair gets really curly when it gets wet.. even a morning mist and it curls right up like a new perm.

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Rufus En Fuego posted:

Nearly two years later and Bridget STILL hasn't come back from the shave the NSPCA gave her. She literally has no undercoat and being a house dog, gets chilly during nighttime winter walks. She's much more willing to walk when I pop a little jacket on her, but I wonder if I'll have to use it forever. I do plan on moving back to the northeast sometime in the near future and if she thinks Vegas is cold, she's in for a shock.

Beau's coat recently went apeshit and I have an appointment with our fabulous new groomer this weekend for her to tackle it. It seems like no matter how much I brush/comb it, there's always more. :stare: The last time she did a brush/bath on him it took four hours (she hand fluff-dries), so I'm assuming this is gonna be an all-day venture.

Lady's gonna seriously earn her tip this weekend.

Hit that coat with a slicker brush as much as she will let you. More than she will let you. It'll stimulate growth in the hair follicles and allow the natural oils in her coat to spread.

If she is hand fluff drying, I wonder how many dogs she does a day... maybe she has some bathers or something too.

demonR6 posted:

Wonderful, her puppy coat was beautiful and has been replaced with a batting material suitable for stuffing pillows and comforters. I'll contact IKEA as soon as possible.

Well there's always the possibility of turning her into a living pillow.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Comment deleted due to lovely insensitivity. But either way I threaten to take her up the road to a restaurant and sell her if she misbehaves. Fill in the blanks or read the post below, it is quoted there.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 11, 2013

notsowelp
Oct 12, 2012

Though she is small, she is fierce.

demonR6 posted:

Better than the option I tell my wife when the dog misbehaves..

"That's it, get in the car Lady it's off to Asian Palace with you!!"

There is another Asian restaurant up the road with horrid food called Jin Ho, I sometimes say "Jin Ho Lady, Jin Ho.." She knows to go to her bed and lay down.

cool racism

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
It's a lovely stereotype, I know.. but really though their food is awful and everyone avoids it like the plague because you are guaranteed to get sick. No excuse though. I'll kill that comment.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

The Big Whoop posted:

Hit that coat with a slicker brush as much as she will let you. More than she will let you. It'll stimulate growth in the hair follicles and allow the natural oils in her coat to spread.

If she is hand fluff drying, I wonder how many dogs she does a day... maybe she has some bathers or something too.

Right on. I brush her a few minutes every other day and she tolerates it well, so I'll up it to daily and go longer. Thanks! I hope it works.

My groomer works in tandem with another girl, and every time I go in there she has at least one other dog going. I'm not sure how many she does in a day, but she only charges me $45 for a bath, brush and light trim, so it has to be more than two. Here's her FB: http://www.facebook.com/GlitterGroomer.LasVegas.Henderson?fref=ts

She posts a lot of fun before/after photos.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Question for the groomers in the thread. What would you suggest for a smooth-haired Dachshund sort of coat, with dandruff. Her fur otherwise looks fine, glossy but not oily, and she doesn't ever seem to be itchy. She just occasionally looks like someone gave her a light dusting of parmesan across the back.

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Oatmeal or a tar or tree tea oil shampoo. And don't skimp on the conditioner!
Little known fact: you can use Seltson(?) Blue on dogs and it will kill fleas too.

Rufus En Fuego posted:

Right on. I brush her a few minutes every other day and she tolerates it well, so I'll up it to daily and go longer. Thanks! I hope it works.

My groomer works in tandem with another girl, and every time I go in there she has at least one other dog going. I'm not sure how many she does in a day, but she only charges me $45 for a bath, brush and light trim, so it has to be more than two. Here's her FB: http://www.facebook.com/GlitterGroomer.LasVegas.Henderson?fref=ts

She posts a lot of fun before/after photos.
Wow, her photos are really great! I wonder what kind of shampoos she is using. I've never been able to accomplish such nice looking clean feet (then again, I use a 10 blade on light colored dogs, so there's that.)

One of the places I was working had a groomer doing 15 plus dogs a day...then again, she had bathers do all the baths sooo...

The Big Whoop fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 12, 2013

notsowelp
Oct 12, 2012

Though she is small, she is fierce.
Who is liable if a dog seriously bites/injures one of the groomers? Are there ever lawsuits against owners? On a smaller scale, how often do you have to refuse a client because their dog is too fearful or aggressive?

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

notsowelp posted:

Who is liable if a dog seriously bites/injures one of the groomers? Are there ever lawsuits against owners? On a smaller scale, how often do you have to refuse a client because their dog is too fearful or aggressive?

In the year I worked at the place I was at we had only turned down one dog for being too aggressive/biting.
The thing was so bad there was no way to restrain it to get anything done, freaked out over muzzles, and just threw itself into a whirlwind anytime you got near it with scissors or clippers or anything- was way too risky to end up hurting the dog, or get badly bit. It was some little lhasa mix or something. The owner did not believe us when they came to pick up the dog and she tried to hold the dog and got bit herself.

It was very frustrating, because the dog really needed some mats removed especially around its privates. We tried so hard to clean the poor thing up, but it really needed to go to a vet and get sedated for grooming.

It was hard not to feel like a bit of a failure and feel bad we couldn't get the dog cleaned up. We just wanted to help him :( I hope the owner did take our advice and have a vet clip him down.

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

notsowelp posted:

The company covers it. They have you fill out an incident report with the dog's paperwork, to make sure you were doing everything correctly and following all of the safety rules. You then partner with your store manager to see if the dog is allowed back.

We don't refuse dogs that often... I had a crazy aussie-jack mix who wanted to bite for everything, but told the owner I wanted to keep working with him until he got used to the process. My policy is "if one of my employees is not comfortable with working with the dog, I will not force them to." We have several dogs who can only be handled by a specific person because they've put a lot of blood sweat and tears into it.

On a side note, do not EVER attempt to shave a belly with a 7 blade. Today I did so and caught a younger dog's tuck-up. One minute I was shaving, the next was a whaat moment when I found a piece of flesh on my blade and couldn't figure out where it had come from. I had shaved off the top layer of the skin on the poor thing's tuck-up (The area that connects the belly to the back leg). Wasn't too bloody or anything but made me feel really bad and was scary. Had a panic attack, called the e-vet and administered first aide. Of course the e-vet wouldn't recommend anything over the phone, guess they don't wanna get sued.
Will liquid bandage hurt a dog? I assume not...but... I'm thinking of ordering some surgical glue for incidents like these.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

The Big Whoop posted:

I had shaved off the top layer of the skin on the poor thing's tuck-up (The area that connects the belly to the back leg). Wasn't too bloody or anything but made me feel really bad and was scary.

I cannot for the life of me figure out the region on the dog that you are referring to in this statement.

Hey Girl
Sep 24, 2004

Topoisomerase posted:

I cannot for the life of me figure out the region on the dog that you are referring to in this statement.

If dogs were people it'd be like the inner thigh, the part that connects the leg to the body, on the inside of the leg is my guess.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Yeah I assumed Big Whoop meant that little skin webbing/flap that stretches from the thigh to the side of the belly.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

I did that once to a dog too, not that badly though. Didn't need a vet visit, it didn't even really bleed, but it did have a little piece of skin that half off.

I had never groomed this dog because my boss always did her, she came in with another dog that I always groomed. But my boss had to leave the room for a few minutes and had me work on her while she was gone. She meant to warn me that she always jumps up off the table when you try to do that part of her sanitary, but forgot to. :(

I felt really bad, but the dog was fine.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

The Big Whoop posted:

Wow, her photos are really great! I wonder what kind of shampoos she is using. I've never been able to accomplish such nice looking clean feet (then again, I use a 10 blade on light colored dogs, so there's that.)

I live in a :10bux: part of town, so she uses some pretty swank stuff - contains avocado and various other natural ingredients. She just started doing mudpacks on their faces and apparently it works wonders with staining. She showed me some before/after pics and convinced me enough to try it on Bridget next time.

Beau took seven hours this time, and he's :swoon:

He was pretty pooped and slept the rest of the night. Being pampered is hard work.

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Today a bigass golden/lab thing came in for a shavedown. Maaan I hate shaving down goldens. It was in a #7 and a really light haired dog, so clipper marks all over the place. Yep. Sometimes you can fix it by going in a #4 in reverse, which is what I ended up doing. Really friendly dog, never learned bite inhibition though because the guy was mouthy as heck. Then, juuuust before the owner showed up he expressed his anal glands everywhere and I had to rebathe. WHY

Also, unaltered. Coincidentally, I feel like grooming is one of the only places it's acceptable to talk about dog anuses and well... private parts. When a dog is intact it makes it really annoying to do the sanitary trim (Oh god if I press too hard I am going to cut these dog's dangly bits)

The Big Whoop fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jan 19, 2013

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

The Big Whoop posted:

(Oh god if I press too hard I am going to cut these dog's dangly bits)

I don't see why this is a problem. How much does the salon charge for neutering, anyway?

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Pile of Kittens posted:

I don't see why this is a problem. How much does the salon charge for neutering, anyway?

This is exactly what we joke every time! "Your grooming is $X, and no charge for the neuter! :haw: "

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

We've done that joke before too.

Or we joke that the owner will ask us to do it for them, since we've had owners ask if we could just snip off skin tags and moles and dewclaws and poo poo :psyduck:

Yeah we're just going to cut things off them and let them bleed all over and risk getting infected and..what the hell are some people thinking.

The other thing that annoys me is when you do a dog with super long nails and get them down to the quick and the person complains they aren't short enough. They look at us like we're crazy when we explain to them they will bleed and hurt if we take them any shorter.

Still. I miss my job. :cry:

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
So that is why my groomer would not dock my dogs tail??

Joking by the way.. I did it myself with a cigar cutter and some band aids.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I took Tater to the groomer's yesterday and not only did he say he wants to shave him down next time he suggested I could save on vet bills if I remove his dewclaws myself using some fishing wire :gonk:

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Eegah posted:

I took Tater to the groomer's yesterday and not only did he say he wants to shave him down next time he suggested I could save on vet bills if I remove his dewclaws myself using some fishing wire :gonk:

I'm sorry can you expand on the dewclaw conversation because this has to be good..

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Well, Tater has rear dewclaws that aren't easy to clip and can get badly ingrown so they need care. The groomer suggested getting them removed and I could have the vet do it "but your can also do it yourself, what you do is take some fishing wire and" at whch point my brain immediately filtered out the rest of the sentence.

Sorry I couldn't get the rest of the story but hooooooly poo poo I did not want to hear about that.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Lady has her dew claws because the previous owners did not take care of her and our groomer always deals with it. I would have probably explained to the deputy what the groomer had suggested after he arrived to respond to the call about my knocking out the groomer..

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I imagine the guy had a rollicking time extracting his wisdom teeth.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
No anesthesia and he took them out using a broken mirror and a set of needle nose pliers. Oh and that day he had a horrible hangover.

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Eegah posted:

Well, Tater has rear dewclaws that aren't easy to clip and can get badly ingrown so they need care. The groomer suggested getting them removed and I could have the vet do it "but your can also do it yourself, what you do is take some fishing wire and" at whch point my brain immediately filtered out the rest of the sentence.

Sorry I couldn't get the rest of the story but hooooooly poo poo I did not want to hear about that.

Well back dewclaws are kind of just wobbly skin most of the time. Front dewclaws are actually bone and whatnot.
I usually suggest getting them removed while they're under for a teethcleaning or a spay/neutering.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
That'll be a while -- he's neutered and he's only a year so his teeth are white as snow.

I'll just mention to the next groomer that he's got rear dewclaws and to trim if necessary.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

It is scary how some of them on the little dogs just kind of dangle there by a thread. I hate them

Most any good breeder would have had them removed as a tiny puppy imho :shobon:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Yeah well Tater was from a BYB so welp.

(I found that out five months after taking him from another family that had him for a month before saying 'eh screw it')

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

I was just hired as an assistant in a grooming salon (Friday's my first day :ohdear:), I have some experience in grooming but it was a few years ago so I've got a lot of re-learning to do. Can you recommend any books, websites, blogs, or anything else that would be useful to someone just starting?

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011
I'm not a BYB because I live in an apartment.

Greycious posted:

Most any good breeder would have had them removed as a tiny puppy imho :shobon:
I used to remove them within the first day, but they've refined the definition of the animal (welfare) law and it's now just as illegal as cropping and docking. Nowadays I still go over them as I once had a rear dewclaw fall of simply by taking a hold of it and carefully too. Such claws I'd still feel comfortable removing, but anything beyond that stays. They hardly ever cause any problems. Naturally people have between one and four (Finnish Lapphunds get double rear dewclaws occasionally, too.) extra claws to clip, but that's normally about it.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Fat Dio posted:

I was just hired as an assistant in a grooming salon (Friday's my first day :ohdear:), I have some experience in grooming but it was a few years ago so I've got a lot of re-learning to do. Can you recommend any books, websites, blogs, or anything else that would be useful to someone just starting?

This is the book I use to use as reference: http://amzn.com/0975412809
I really love it, and I don't yet have my own copy but plan on buying one because I just loved the book. The grooming school near me uses it for students.

That sucks Riiseli.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

Thanks! I want to educate myself beyond what I'm taught at work.

• Locked thread