Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

aidsMONKEY posted:

Setting off the halon system from smoking in the vehicle: check

Did anybody die? Halon systems are serious poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

DoktorLoken posted:

You drank hand sanitizer? That might be worse than knowing someone used it as lube. :wtc:

Someone I went to AIT with claimed to drink floor stripper to get drunk in basic. It sounds outrageous but this person was a legit major alcoholic so I wouldn't doubt it.

Putting salt in hand sanitizer separates the alcohol from the gel, from what I've been told. It's also real popular amongst the Inuit up in the Canadian territories.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
My mom rejoined the Canadian Air Force after 4 or 5 years, which has similar rules(after three years you gotta redo everything) and when she was sworn in they promoted her back to warrant and sent her on her merry way. This was in a small trade and she knew the career manager pretty well.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

genderstomper58 posted:

Why do people with fat faces + high and tights increase the hilarity of that already terrible haircut by a factor of 10

Is it the fact that it makes the top part even smaller

Is it the dichotomy between sort of professional and fat slob

I just don't know

Because fat people are funny to laugh at, especially when they try to pull off things that only skinny people can pull off.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Nerdfest X posted:

"Chit" is a navy term that refers to certain documents. No-shave chit, LLD chit, 72 hour liberty chit, special request chit, etc. Basically a chit waives you from certain regulations for a set amount of time. No-shave chits could be open-ended AFAIK.
"Hit" refers to a discrepency found during an inspection, be it uniform, workspace or administrative records. Hits must be documented and corrected and a followup report submitted.

Not just a navy term. It's used by the entire CF to describe your medical restriction sheet.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
You guys need to tell them that you demand a hoo-ah at the beginning and end of every sentence.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Stultus Maximus posted:

Wow. An actual helmet fire.

We were firing the Carl Gustavs with helmet scrim. and somehow the dude who was firing it managed to light his scrim on fire. After that we all had to take our scrim off when firing the carl g's.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

DoktorLoken posted:

Firing a Carl Gustav or other RR must give you a huge boner. Confirm/deny.

Yea, but my boner was killed when we started throwing grenades shortly after. God grenades are underwhelming.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Fraser CDN posted:

When Canada was going into Afghanistan (or Bosnia) the CBRN decontamination packets were the training ones and not the real ones.

Are you talking about the RSLD or whatever? Because they use the real stuff in training so the poo poo you got was real.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Fraser CDN posted:

Im not sure im talking about the oily decontamination packets. They were blue and if memory serves me right( its been 5 years) they said for training use on them.

Ya my last run through on CBRN the refresher, the trainers said that the only difference between training RSDL and real RSDL is that the training packet is blue and the real RSDL is green. Who knows, he could've been full of poo poo.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder if all armies use lovely stoves. I know the CF does. We use lovely old Coleman stoves and if you get someone who doesn't know all the tricks to lighting it, it'll more than likely go up in a huge fireball. Some of them are easy to light and keep going but most of them are giant pieces of poo poo.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Samu posted:

Well we use those in field troops/platoons for our 10 man tents provided you're from a mechanized company and can haul them around. If you're dismounted you have a 2 burner Coleman stove in your toboggan that does literally nothing.

Not entirely true, all I've ever had was Coleman stoves and a lantern and the artillery has trucks everywhere we go.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

When I was going for my paramedic certification I had to do clinicals in a hospital ER.

My first patient was a dude who was popping wheelies on a highway on his bike. He drove past a cop while in mid-wheelie, got surprised when he saw the cop, and fell backwards. He slid about 60 feet on pavement, grass, and gravel. On his rear end.

He had no more rear end after that. It was gone.

He was brought in to the ER, and we had to scrub the gaping wounds where his rear end once was to get the gravel and pavement out of his flesh.

I never wanted to buy a bike after that day.

That's because you dealt with a literal retard. gently caress him

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
If you're riding a motorcycle without proper gear for what you're doing(a motherfucker doing 30 mph in the city wearing a bucket and a canvas jacket(w/e))(a motherfucker wearing shorts and a t-shirt doing 80 mph deserves what he gets), you deserve what you get

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Best Friends posted:

The m777 is fantastic though.

Not if it's cold outside.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Mortabis posted:

What's wrong with the M777 in cold temperatures?

Hydraulics in -40C temperatures don't really work too well.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

thehumandignity posted:

How would one have access to a camera, the internet, civilian clothes, or a "barrack room" in any week of basic training?

Officer basic and some non-commissioned member basics have private rooms. Also depending on your instructors you might be allowed to use your cell phone at night. I know I was.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
They can melt to your eyes and blind you.

Albeit thats an extreme example.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Wow so a brony and quick with the furry link...

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Wasabi the J posted:

I don't do that brony poo poo anymore btw but whatever. It's GIP so I'll always be that guy.

It's like being known as the guy who poo poo his pants, except way more embarassing but it comes with the fringe benefit of never having to babysit. Because nobody wants you near their kids. You know, because they're worried that you're a pedophile.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Wasabi the J posted:

Suck ONE dick...

Still preferable to being a brony.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

madeintaipei posted:

Out of curiosity, what do you do? Grab the belt, pull, and twist?

twist first then pull

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Best Friends posted:

some stupid jeep jacked up with a thousand moto stickers but at least it was probably cheap

Haha those are never cheap, a used jeep from the early 90's is still around 6 grand up here no matter what shape it's in.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Xaarman used it during the facebook ipo so that he could get 25k in shares

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Genocide Tendency posted:

Wait.. People buy computers on credit?

I got a laptop on credit once when I was in training because mine got smashed and since we were confined to base I couldn't go out and buy a regular priced one. Only reason I got it on credit was because of the 0% interest rate that the CanEx offers and so I could have money to get drunk on the weekend

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I mean the CanEx itself has an in store credit plan for any member of the CF that has 0% interest

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Guest2553 posted:

Double the fun in Canadia when you get french NCOs in charge of english recruits.

"You think I know gently caress nothing, but I tell you right now...I know gently caress all" :downs:

Haha when did you go through basic. One of my instructors said that but I forgot his name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Samu posted:

One of the few things I remember from basic is when we were being taught hand signals, the French INT corporal who was in charge of us stood up, patted his head and screamed at the top of his lungs while standing in the middle of a group of 45 Privates "EVERYBODY! COME ON ME!".

French people are the best for this. I had a French warrant and he was yelling at us for something or other and he yelled out "YOU THINK I KNOW gently caress NOTHING, I KNOW gently caress ALL". It was really hard not to laugh at that.