Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
So i'm thinking of bumping up my donation to get all of those sweet soundtracks (Station 37 soundtrack? Hell yes. gently caress yes.), but i need to know: are they all properly tagged? I literally start screaming if i open a folder and just see "track 01" and poo poo like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TimeServ
Nov 26, 2006
I think the FAQ is missing an important question especially since $35k has been reached, namely what country do you plan on escaping to after taking all that money?

Also interesting to see the differing reactions from the various websites mentioning this. From people not familiar with the previous work it probably comes across as just another indie developer trying to use edgy Internet humor.

And to confirm Aquaria was some custom thing using SDL. Source code for it was released here.

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing
The humour on Barkley / the kickstartet is a lot less like edgy internet humour and more... well it's hard to describe. Similar in some ways but far superior. How does one accurately describe styles of humour? We need a humourologist.

Juche Fucktodd
Nov 2, 2012

to change the forums
I would describe the humor as "ballin'"

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

immortal flow posted:

The humour on Barkley / the kickstartet is a lot less like edgy internet humour and more... well it's hard to describe. Similar in some ways but far superior. How does one accurately describe styles of humour? We need a humourologist.

I believe it's called "mad ironies yo."

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Glorious and un-pretentious absurdism.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Incredibly well-written and completely absurd but done in a way where it's completely serious for the in-game characters. You can feel Barkley's guilt about his fateful chaos dunk. He means it when he says he'll never perform another.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

Technique posted:

So i'm thinking of bumping up my donation to get all of those sweet soundtracks (Station 37 soundtrack? Hell yes. gently caress yes.), but i need to know: are they all properly tagged? I literally start screaming if i open a folder and just see "track 01" and poo poo like that.

Well here is a picture of my old music folder -

Generally I just mash random buttons on the keyboard. Sometimes I roll my face against the keyboard. I have thousands of songs with names like fhaoierhtoi. It's a really bad system and I don't know what's what.

But yeah, all the songs in the soundtrack pack are properly labeled, even if their names are hgbefrhi. PS - the best soundtrack in there is for a game that's not released yet, Non Human, which I made with the soundchip used in old arcade machines and X68000s. Definitely the best lovely vidcon music I've written.

blurry!
Jun 14, 2006

Sorry for Party Flocking
Basically the team takes the inherent ridiculous nature RPGs and puts it on its head with a single stroke of genius. Basically instead of magic/crystals/cybernetics/whatever, the team's Mystic Force De Jour is basketball. In jRPGs, whatever the Mystic Force is, it permeates all life and civilization, whether its pseudo-science cybernetics that don't really have anything to do with real life science, life stream gaia theory stuff, or crystals mcguffins that do whatever the plot needs them to do (which is everything), it's all the same absurd poo poo. What Tales of Game's does is just take something in real life that some people practically treat this way (I mean, Space Jam was a real movie, for gently caress's sake), and use it as their Mystical Force.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I loving loved the first one. I can't give you a piece of my flesh, CBoyardee, but at least i can give you :20bux:

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.

Chef Boyardee posted:

Generally I just mash random buttons on the keyboard. Sometimes I roll my face against the keyboard. I have thousands of songs with names like fhaoierhtoi. It's a really bad system and I don't know what's what.

But yeah, all the songs in the soundtrack pack are properly labeled, even if their names are hgbefrhi. PS - the best soundtrack in there is for a game that's not released yet, Non Human, which I made with the soundchip used in old arcade machines and X68000s. Definitely the best lovely vidcon music I've written.

Man, did I ever tell how much I love your music? It really is inspiring!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Chef B, I remember reading a post quite a long time ago where you detailed your experiences with a weird jrpg. I remember it featured the Knights Templar, Euclid, and Moses's grave in India with his bones reversed.

Please, what the hell was the name of that game?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

immortal flow posted:

The thing with Barkley compared to other brands of edgy internet humour is that, while both know they're inherently really loving ridiculous, Barkley knows that you know whereas most other kinds beat you over the head with "guys, this is so ridiculous! Do you get how ridiculous this is?!". Basically, Barkley doesn't ruin itself by constantly telling you how funny it is and instead allows you to immerse yourself in its absurdity.

If you wanna get an idea what Barkley 1 would be like with bog-standard internet humour, imagine if Balthios spent the entire game remarking how ridiculous helping sewer-dwelling furries write love letters and grafting basketballs to your face really is. That would easily turn a hilarious and charming game into something completely insufferable.

Really, what it boils down to is Chef Boyardee doesn't think you're a complete massive tool and spelling everything out for you.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

blurry! posted:

Basically the team takes the inherent ridiculous nature RPGs and puts it on its head with a single stroke of genius. Basically instead of magic/crystals/cybernetics/whatever, the team's Mystic Force De Jour is basketball. In jRPGs, whatever the Mystic Force is, it permeates all life and civilization, whether its pseudo-science cybernetics that don't really have anything to do with real life science, life stream gaia theory stuff, or crystals mcguffins that do whatever the plot needs them to do (which is everything), it's all the same absurd poo poo. What Tales of Game's does is just take something in real life that some people practically treat this way (I mean, Space Jam was a real movie, for gently caress's sake), and use it as their Mystical Force.

This game has too many jams, and slams, where's the corner three, or the layup? Huh? Where's the 3 pointer with 18 seconds left on the shot clock? And entry passes and outlet passes? You have a lot to answer for Tales of Games! You can't have basketball as a mystic force without the fundamentals!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Schwarzwald posted:

Chef B, I remember reading a post quite a long time ago where you detailed your experiences with a weird jrpg. I remember it featured the Knights Templar, Euclid, and Moses's grave in India with his bones reversed.

Please, what the hell was the name of that game?
Sounds like it might be Exile for the Genesis/Turbo-CD? Never played it but it's full of weird poo poo like that

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

It's also important to note that B,SUAJ:G doesn't use pop culture references just for the sake of funny pop culture jokes. Wilford Brimely is a character most players would instantly associate as being the authority on diabetes. This circumvents the need to craft an entirely new character for the player to learn just so Hoopz can be injected with Type II diabetes ("the kind they were never able to cure").

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

My favorite music track name was "johnathan taylor thomas". Actually, I think the trailer used a remix of that which is awesome.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

Panzeh posted:

This game has too many jams, and slams, where's the corner three, or the layup? Huh? Where's the 3 pointer with 18 seconds left on the shot clock? And entry passes and outlet passes? You have a lot to answer for Tales of Games! You can't have basketball as a mystic force without the fundamentals!

Note that Charles Barkley double dribbles and is not whistled for it.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Yeah if I tried to back you any harder I'd make you quadriplegic. It's a good time to be a RPG player.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Heavy neutrino posted:

Yeah if I tried to back you any harder I'd make you quadriplegic. It's a good time to be a RPG player.

I can't wait for all these projects I backed on kick starter to start rolling out at the same time :allears:.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
When will you awesome dudes be sending out instructions on what kind of pictures you want for our neckbeard-laden in-game portraits, if you pledged $300? Any idea? I don't have many props I could use. I have a silly looking fly fishing hat though.

Slam with the best, or jam with the rest.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Unemployed me kicked in 15 so I don't have to jam with the rest.

Lamhirh
Sep 8, 2012
Definitely going to chip in within the next few days.

Don't know if this is the right place to say this, but when downloading the latest version of the original game off of your website, I get no music. I'm using Windows 7 64-bit. 1.09 works fine. game_errors.log repeats this over and over again:

quote:

ERROR in
action number 1
of Other Event: Game Start
for object oController:

Error defining an external function.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

Lamhirh posted:

Definitely going to chip in within the next few days.

Don't know if this is the right place to say this, but when downloading the latest version of the original game off of your website, I get no music. I'm using Windows 7 64-bit. 1.09 works fine. game_errors.log repeats this over and over again:

This has to do with supersound.dll. It is very stupid and happens very, very infrequently but it's fixed by restarting your computer. I am sorry!!

Pablo Gigante posted:

Sounds like it might be Exile for the Genesis/Turbo-CD? Never played it but it's full of weird poo poo like that

Hey, sorry, I missed this post but yes, it's Exile. It is one of the most insane games I've ever played, but also one of my favorites. The HG101 article doesn't even begin to cover how insane this game is.

Node posted:

When will you awesome dudes be sending out instructions on what kind of pictures you want for our neckbeard-laden in-game portraits, if you pledged $300? Any idea? I don't have many props I could use. I have a silly looking fly fishing hat though.

Slam with the best, or jam with the rest.
Probably a week or so after the Kickstarter. I think it has tools for contacting people based on their pledge level and we'll be using that. We're also adding a few more reward tiers similar to that, like having your username and avatar in DwarfNET and designing a unique enemy you'll only encounter once (so it will be really unique and memorable).

Chef Boyardee fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 29, 2012

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Tossed in some cash, hoping I can somehow do a sick cross over in real time in this basketball laden post apocalyptic world.

I wonder if it would ever be possible to get sir Charles seal of approval on this game. :allears:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Chef Boyardee posted:

I hope these are .fat files.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Optimus Subprime posted:

I wonder if it would ever be possible to get sir Charles seal of approval on this game. :allears:

Securing official rights to use his name and likeness would be the most amazing stretch goal, however unlikely and impractical.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

univbee posted:

Incredibly well-written and completely absurd but done in a way where it's completely serious for the in-game characters. You can feel Barkley's guilt about his fateful chaos dunk. He means it when he says he'll never perform another.

I read an interview with a few members of Monty Python, and they went into detail about how a good Straight Man was so important to absurdist humor (they used Graham Chapman in his role as King Arthur for their example).

The difference between absurdist and monkey-cheese is that the former is played straight and taken to its logical conclusion, while the latter is usually just a lovely non-sequitor.

Also, backed this like a true doom-murderhead. If my wife gets the job she's expecting I'm totally upgrading to the music tier.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Securing official rights to use his name and likeness would be the most amazing stretch goal, however unlikely and impractical.

Sounds pretty difficult to me. Try going for someone more reasonable first, like Loy Vaught.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Chilly McFreeze posted:

Sounds pretty difficult to me. Try going for someone more reasonable first, like Loy Vaught.

There's gotta be a whole busload of NBA has-beens who are willing to sell their likeness for this game; is Karl Malone doing anything worthwhile lately?

Also how relevant will Barkley's love for Incan Gold be in this second installment?

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
License Darryl Dawkins because he was Chocolate Thunder and he named all his drunks. Also claimed to be from planet Lovetron.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

univbee posted:

Yeah, it's taking an absurd premise and playing it straight. Barkley honestly thinks that ghosts are like dogs and just kind of do things arbitrairly.

Juche Fucktodd
Nov 2, 2012

to change the forums
Yeah, that really was the best thing about the first Barkley game. Just how completely straight it was played. From fighting a ghostly Bill Cosby to a fight to the death (with Sweet Georgia Brown playing in the background!) with Michael Jordan. It is all played dead serious.

Complete with gratuitous ellipsis use so you know it is really serious.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

MultiWerar posted:

Yeah, that really was the best thing about the first Barkley game. Just how completely straight it was played. From fighting a ghostly Bill Cosby to a fight to the death (with Sweet Georgia Brown playing in the background!) with Michael Jordan. It is all played dead serious.

Complete with gratuitous ellipsis use so you know it is really serious.

I'll echo this sentiment. The whole of the game's writing is unflinching in its adherence to the game world. Barkley is the perfect straight man in this sense: he realizes just how ridiculous every thing is, but he still lives inside the world and is forced to comply with it all. In a way, it makes me think of Hank Hill and what makes King of the Hill such a good show.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Chilly McFreeze posted:

Maybe Tim Duncan would be down, his love for WoW and DnD is well known.

Dave47
Oct 3, 2012

Shut up and take my money!
Oh my God, so excited for this!

Also:

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Finally.
The return of the post-B-Ball-apocalyptic Neo-dystopia.

Also the original Barkley did something no other RPG in existence has ever done before:

IT MADE A SEWER DUNGEON FUN.
So, I was all in agreement with this sentiment, but then:

Chef Boyardee posted:

Ahaha

We're actually working on a sewer dungeon right now and I can promise it is a lot more fun than the one in the original Barkley. We've learned a lot about game design since we made the original Barkley and one of the most important things has been that the best dungeons don't actually feel like dungeons. In fact, I think "dungeons" as a designated area where you FIGHT ENEMIES and DO NOT SPEAK TO ANYONE is awful and outdated and there will be none of that in this game. The games with the best dungeons, in my opinion, are Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, Dark Sun: Shattered Lands, Realms of Arkania: Star Trail, Stonekeep and Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter, where there are actual fun things to do in each of them. We're drawing a lot from their area design.
Yeah, I think this is what we're going to be doing, as well as some new ones.
Hey, you reminded me of Dark Sun! That game measured at least 1/2 a Barkley unit on the ratings scale, and it did indeed have a good sewer dungeon. I felt that later in the game, the overarching "secret" that basically every major zone had a group of potentially friendly NPCs you could convince to join you became overplayed, but for the first half of the game it was a really eye-opening experience to not have to kill everything in the "dungeon zones".

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Chef Boyardee posted:

yo just wanna chime in, 3rd song from the bottom? amazing.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Optimus Subprime posted:

Maybe Tim Duncan would be down, his love for WoW and DnD is well known.

I envisioned the Barkley sequel as a game called Slam Spirit Summoners where you allied with the ghosts of ballers past to dunk your enemies into oblivion.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Philip Rivers posted:

I envisioned the Barkley sequel as a game called Slam Spirit Summoners where you allied with the ghosts of ballers past to dunk your enemies into oblivion.

Magic basketballs that you have to do a cross over or an around the back move to summon a baller. Alley oop to your spirit baller for an ultimate jam!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

I am playing Barkley, Shut up & Jam: Gaiden for the first time, since I've never heard of it until a few weeks ago. Just wanted to say, its pretty amazing so far and I'm excited about this kickstarter.