Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Cabbagepots posted:

I think Amiibos are cool. I, Cabbagepots, love the drat product.
http://tindeck.com/listen/wltskj

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I forget, was Cyberdwarf a duergar, or some other kind of dwarf?

Cyberdwarf is a normal dwarf from space. Balthios was a were-Duergar, though.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

FrankieSmileShow posted:

Its a little tricky, the game doesnt have a proper tutorial yet, and is complicated enough that it kinda needs one!

Create a manual. Have a character or a door or something at the beginning ask you for a code. Imply it's in the manual. Put in at least three codes:

- one for those who opened the manual but couldn't be bothered to actually read it;
- one for those who opened the manual and actually bothered to read it;
- one for Barkley Quest.

Put in several codes in random places throughout the game. The player will be informed about the location of codes through the terminals. It sounds complicated, but it's necessary to prove that the player is an open-minded and curious thinker.

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

FrankieSmileShow posted:

hahah, that was me explaining in that video! I was coaching people on the game pretty hard for the Battle build, but I usually left people alone to experience the story build.

Over the course of Pax I slowly learned how to best coach people into playing the game "the way we want them to". This was my first Pax, and essentially my first time showing others how to play, so it had a bit of a learning curve.
Its a little tricky, the game doesnt have a proper tutorial yet, and is complicated enough that it kinda needs one! Yet it *feels* self-explanatory: you run and shoot. But its got some weird stuff, and if you dont know it, you can get confused pretty quickly. Like how you have both your normal gun's which you can cycle through at will, and also a bag of random gun's you just picked up, and you tap a button to try them out one by one. Kind of a weird concept to explain, since it doesnt make much real-world sense.

There were a few recurring problems, like people running around taking the enemies too lightly, which usually resulted in getting overwhelmed. This is because the enemies are a little more tough than they look, so some people run around expecting them to die in a few shots, while they actually warrant your full attention. Part of this depended on how lucky or unlucky they got with their randomized arsenal, too. I found it was a good idea to tell people to either expect the enemies to be tougher than they look, or that their weapons are a little too weak. That usually helped a lot in getting them to play at the right rhythm. There's some balance issues to deal with there, and also just some issues with looks: some enemies dont look buff enough for how much health they got, it sends the player the wrong message about how seriously they should take em. The slightly taller cybergremlins that shoot at you are an example of these, I should redraw their torso sprites, make em look a bit bigger.

Another problem has been the minigun we set as one of the default weapons the players start with. If you know how to use it, its the strongest weapon you start with. Its very strong, but wielding it slows you down, and instead of firing immediately, it needs to wind up for a few seconds before the shooting begins. Players who switch to the minigun in the heat of battle panic when they find themselves unexpectedly slowed down and unable to shoot. A lot of people died to this! Of course in the real game, you wouldn't just start with that unknown weapon in your inventory, you would be building your arsenal slowly over time and know how your own gun's work. There is also a sound cue for the gatling guns and miniguns, a wind-up whirring noise, but you couldnt really hear it much in the chaos of Pax.

There were a few other things, like we should probably have taken out the random weapon property that makes gun's hurt the player when you shoot. One player randomly got two weapons with that property at the start of the demo.

I love how we get a lot of joke posts from the ToG TeaM in this thread and then on occasion get interesting insights like this one about how the game needs changes, learnt from the fallacies of those playing it fresh.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Can you guys make a boxed version that comes in those ginormous boxes that they used to use in the 90's?

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos
I agree, but the box should be absolutely empty except for a CD key typed on a cheap label, and a postcard to register your software via snail mail.

The box itself should have the loving works -- velcro snap cover, raised gold foil lettering, holograms, etc. etc. etc.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
How about one of those cutout windows on the flap so that it looks like one thing, and then when you open the flap it's something else.

Edit: I realize that's not very descriptive. I'll draw a picture or something unless someone else gets it and can find an example.

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Sep 4, 2015

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Blattdorf posted:

Create a manual. Have a character or a door or something at the beginning ask you for a code. Imply it's in the manual. Put in at least three codes:

- one for those who opened the manual but couldn't be bothered to actually read it;
- one for those who opened the manual and actually bothered to read it;
- one for Barkley Quest.

Put in several codes in random places throughout the game. The player will be informed about the location of codes through the terminals. It sounds complicated, but it's necessary to prove that the player is an open-minded and curious thinker.

This, but instead all codes are only available via the Tip Line.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

How about one of those cutout windows on the flap so that it looks like one thing, and then when you open the flap it's something else.

Edit: I realize that's not very descriptive. I'll draw a picture or something unless someone else gets it and can find an example.

Like the thing you can do with the land o lakes label to give that Native American butter woman bare tittays?

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
Will gun's breeding always generate a higher quality product or is it an excel spreadsheet compatibility situation where you can go up or down? I suppose that it's also dependent on what material your gun's are and there might be an upper limit, yeah?

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Groovelord Neato posted:

i like it because i hate watching speedruns of games where everyone rolls all over or hops backwards the entire game

Zelda is the only game where this happens.

So rule #1 of making a good game, don't be like Zelda.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
The thing I was talking about is like there's a front flap on the box that looks like this:

Where the White part is cut out.

When it's closed, it looks like this:

And when you open it up you see the full picture:

FrankieSmileShow
Jun 1, 2011

wuzzathang

Pelican Dunderhead posted:

Will gun's breeding always generate a higher quality product or is it an excel spreadsheet compatibility situation where you can go up or down? I suppose that it's also dependent on what material your gun's are and there might be an upper limit, yeah?

Numbers-wise, guns always get stronger overall when you breed them (tho were still tweaking by exactly how much the growth tends to be), although you could sometimes end up with a big lateral move you don't like. The new gun might get a property you dont want, or that is just really bad in your current context. Also, if you breed gun's carelessly, cramming together any ol' piece of junk, the result will usually be heavier than getting the same stats and properties from fusing fewer, better weapons.

A careless breeding could also mean you lose an important tool in your arsenal, like say you fuse your last shotgun to a high-damage rifle in the hope to raise its firepower, but the resulting gun is a musket, and you're now out of a crowd control tool! It might be a really good musket, but you just limited your options in combat. You will probably end up fusing the musket to a bunch of random shotgun drops in the hopes of getting a powerful shotgun back, but that will raise its weight by quite a bit.

FrankieSmileShow fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Sep 4, 2015

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

FrankieSmileShow posted:

Numbers-wise, guns always get stronger overall when you breed them (tho were still tweaking by exactly how much the growth tends to be), although you could sometimes end up with a big lateral move you don't like. The new gun might get a property you dont want, or that is just really bad in your current context. Also, if you breed gun's carelessly, cramming together any ol' piece of junk, the result will usually be heavier than getting the same stats and properties from fusing fewer, better weapons.

A careless breeding could also mean you lose an important tool in your arsenal, like say you fuse your last shotgun to a high-damage rifle in the hope to raise its firepower, but the resulting gun is a musket, and you're now out of a crowd control tool! It might be a really good musket, but you just limited your options in combat. You will probably end up fusing the musket to a bunch of random shotgun drops in the hopes of getting a powerful shotgun back, but that will raise its weight by quite a bit.

Is there gun fission, or can guns only get more dense and heavy?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Turn one heavy as gently caress, awesome gun into two guns. One heavy as poo poo BB gun, and a lightweight Grenade Cannon.

FrankieSmileShow
Jun 1, 2011

wuzzathang
Not sure how much I should go into details here, especially as some of this stuff is still changing a bit.
A gun can be made lighter by having some of its more malleable properties changed, but this is only a temporary solution. The weight is still "building up" in that gun's ancestry as you breed, and there isnt really a way back, not really. Youre eventually gonna have to deal with slower movement, raise your Might to compensate for the weight, or maybe find yourself a replacement.

Although if you fused two guns of fairly equal overall power, but one was much lighter than the other, the result's weight should be kind of in-between the two. If the heavier gun of that couple was your "main" one and the lighter one was some lucky drop you otherwise wouldn't have a use for (maybe its a type of gun you don't like, etc), then this would be kind of like making your main gun lighter, but it would likely modify your main gun quite a bit, perhaps in ways you wouldn't expect or like, so this wouldn't come without some risk.

FrankieSmileShow fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Sep 4, 2015

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Infrequently Asked Questions megathread.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Someone point me at another game with customizable guns like this that isn't a lovely f2p fps.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Infinitely fused weapon: Black Hole Gun

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Do gun's ever refuse to breed on account of personality incompatibility?

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Cabbagepots posted:

someone's never seen SoTN

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Chas McGill posted:

Do gun's ever refuse to breed on account of personality incompatibility?

That just means you need to raise your ballistic husbandry skills.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The thing I was talking about is like there's a front flap on the box that looks like this:

Where the White part is cut out.

When it's closed, it looks like this:

And when you open it up you see the full picture:

nah nah the other way around, so when it's closed you get

and when it's open

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

FrankieSmileShow posted:

Not sure how much I should go into details here, especially as some of this stuff is still changing a bit.
A gun can be made lighter by having some of its more malleable properties changed, but this is only a temporary solution. The weight is still "building up" in that gun's ancestry as you breed, and there isnt really a way back, not really. Youre eventually gonna have to deal with slower movement, raise your Might to compensate for the weight, or maybe find yourself a replacement.

Although if you fused two guns of fairly equal overall power, but one was much lighter than the other, the result's weight should be kind of in-between the two. If the heavier gun of that couple was your "main" one and the lighter one was some lucky drop you otherwise wouldn't have a use for (maybe its a type of gun you don't like, etc), then this would be kind of like making your main gun lighter, but it would likely modify your main gun quite a bit, perhaps in ways you wouldn't expect or like, so this wouldn't come without some risk.

So basically you can't start with a finite breeding stock of gun's and indefinitely start breeding them without having to put new blood into the mix, because each successive generation of gun's gets heavier and heavier.

All I'm saying is this gun's ecosystem doesn't make sense, unless you expect me to believe gun's just spontaneously appear. It's a chicken/egg problem.

How do wild gun's naturally reproduce? Were they the product of an intelligent designer?

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 4, 2015

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Is it possible for gun's to become inbred and weak in the style of toy dogs and Habsburgs? Could you breed gun's with detrimental physical deformities? Chibi gun's?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Cabbagepots posted:

in goldeneye they walk diagonally while lookin at the floor so i think it sorta counts

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
It should be 1 frame advantage per minute of rolling.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Will it be possible to "fat roll" like in dark souls? How many invincibility frames are there in a roll?

More importantly, have you already talked to From about outsourcing to them for Barkley 3?

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Freakazoid_ posted:

Will it be possible to "fat roll" like in dark souls? How many invincibility frames are there in a roll?

More importantly, have you already talked to From about outsourcing to them for Barkley 3?

The entire staff of from software have agreed to come out of retirement in 2065 to begin work on a sequel to Barkley 2 immediately upon its release

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

dis astranagant posted:

Someone point me at another game with customizable guns like this that isn't a lovely f2p fps.

Borderlands? :shrug: never actually played it.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Descent speedrunners use a technique where they move sideways and also upwards or downwards. They call it tricording.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Stop playing Phantom Pain and get back to work, I gave you a small amount of money a very long time ago and I don't want any of you to have a moment's joy until I'm compensated.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I was expecting gun's breeding to be exactly like pokemon breeding, with a ranch and a guy telling you that a gun egg magically appeared when he wasn't looking.

Also gun's EVs, IVs, natures and all that crap.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Oh man there needs to be a joke about a mommy gun and daddy gun loving each other, and daddy's clip fits in mommy's receiver...

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Blackheart posted:

I was expecting gun's breeding to be exactly like pokemon breeding, with a ranch and a guy telling you that a gun egg magically appeared when he wasn't looking.

Also gun's EVs, IVs, natures and all that crap.

Did they really put breeding into pokemon games? That's hosed up. Why can't they let little kids just be kids without putting sex into the games.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

dis astranagant posted:

Fallout 4

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

nopantsjack posted:

Stop playing Phantom Pain and get back to work, I gave you a small amount of money a very long time ago and I don't want any of you to have a moment's joy until I'm compensated.

I got through it a few days ago, it wasn't very good beyond the basic gameplay which is fantastic, if that makes any sense. After the first 10 hours you'll begin to realize you are just doing the same thing over and over again, and there isn't enough new gameplay elements being added to keep it interesting.

The plot is a mess served in short disconnected segments.

The other ToG losers didn't even get the game.

With that said I'm doubling my efforts to make sure we don't fall into any of the mistakes made in Phantom Pain. We don't want a game that is sort of good but garbage too, we want 100% garbage. Good is verboten.

Anyways, PAX is just a memory, B2 work is resuming as of today, there is a battle plan written to guide us in our harsh dev life but also a mysterious ToG Babby on the loose... who knows what happens next.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gortarius posted:

Anyways, PAX is just a memory, B2 work is resuming as of today, there is a battle plan written to guide us in our harsh dev life but also a mysterious ToG Babby on the loose... who knows what happens next.

dont make any more babbys until you get done making this game

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
Next on Jerry Springer: Cyberdwarf and ToG babby. But who's the babby's cyberdaddy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Is the baby Baby Huey?

Also: I forget so is Baby Huey public domain or not?