Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
So what you're saying is there will be many arbitrary speedrun categories? I like where this is heading.

I like having World Records but only when I don't have to compete for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swimming anime
Jan 4, 2006

Gortarius posted:

The game is very non-linear, and right now there really isn't anything that seperates the optional areas from the rest, besides the objectives you are given to complete the main storyline, which are often times pretty vague and require you to find hints and explore Necron7. There is only one area I know of that sort of locks up after you depart from it, but we could put in some dialog that tells the player that he can't go back afterwards so you better make sure you are ready to leave. In fact I think thats already in there.

With that said though, there isn't really a way to 100% the game in a single playthrough, because there are a lot of quests that can end in a lot of ways and then the consequences of the choices you made will open up and/or close down other stuff related to it. It's sort of like if the Duergar vs. Genie event in B1 went on into additional quests and events after the deal is done, but they would be either Duergar quests or Genie quests, not both.

How many romanceable NPCs are you planning for launch?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

What is the canonical end of the duergar genie conflict

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

DoctorStrangelove posted:

So is the Shrekimono still in the game then?

Haven't seen it but then again, I'm not in the innermost ToG circle. I really doubt it though because there are only new joke's in the game, no recycling.

SeXReX posted:

So what you're saying is there will be many arbitrary speedrun categories? I like where this is heading.

I like having World Records but only when I don't have to compete for them

Speedrunning has come up a few times, for example the dodge roll has a small pause at the end so that it isn't a faster than walking and thus you don't have to roll 100% of the time to move slightly faster. We will also try to avoid using any game crashing .dlls this time around. You can be the world record holder for Barkley 2 speedrun without any candy used. No one else will try for that.

swimming anime posted:

How many romanceable NPCs are you planning for launch?

Those will be featured in the spinoff games "Meet 'n gently caress Necron 69" and "Meet n gently caress Baby Huey"

Blackheart posted:

What is the canonical end of the duergar genie conflict

In my mind I have deduced that it is more likely genies than duergar but I can't tell for sure right now.

Do The Evolution
Aug 5, 2013

but why

Gortarius posted:

We will also try to avoid using any game crashing .dlls this time around.

sellouts. you've lost sight of your forefathers

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug

Gortarius posted:

The game is very non-linear, and right now there really isn't anything that seperates the optional areas from the rest, besides the objectives you are given to complete the main storyline, which are often times pretty vague and require you to find hints and explore Necron7. There is only one area I know of that sort of locks up after you depart from it, but we could put in some dialog that tells the player that he can't go back afterwards so you better make sure you are ready to leave. In fact I think thats already in there.

With that said though, there isn't really a way to 100% the game in a single playthrough, because there are a lot of quests that can end in a lot of ways and then the consequences of the choices you made will open up and/or close down other stuff related to it. It's sort of like if the Duergar vs. Genie event in B1 went on into additional quests and events after the deal is done, but they would be either Duergar quests or Genie quests, not both.

I remember reading that there's a running down clock on the whole game for events (or some equivalent) that progressively changes things. Does this mean that if X114JAM9 fucks around too much shootin dudes the player will miss out on plot/sidequests? Or will Bark2 be sectionalized with each quest you complete (sub and/or main) advancing the clock a certain amount?

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Will the game keep track of any quests or events the player has completed from previous runs to make finding new paths easier?

Also, will every possible path through the game have a unique title, similar to Shadow the Hedgehog?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Gortarius posted:

Speedrunning has come up a few times, for example the dodge roll has a small pause at the end so that it isn't a faster than walking and thus you don't have to roll 100% of the time to move slightly faster. We will also try to avoid using any game crashing .dlls this time around. You can be the world record holder for Barkley 2 speedrun without any candy used. No one else will try for that.

I'm just picturing a system that keeps track of a ludicrous amount of stats to award the player with a speedrun achievement at the end "#4 world time for the 'use-exactly-68-potions-during-the-main-quest-while-also-completing-the-Duergar-Virtual-Pet-questline-without-using-any-golden-frisbees' challenge"

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I'm guessing we won't be seeing that playable beta by the end of December? :shobon:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
The Chef giveth, and the Chef taketh away.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Pelican Dunderhead posted:

I remember reading that there's a running down clock on the whole game for events (or some equivalent) that progressively changes things. Does this mean that if X114JAM9 fucks around too much shootin dudes the player will miss out on plot/sidequests? Or will Bark2 be sectionalized with each quest you complete (sub and/or main) advancing the clock a certain amount?

Time does affect things, for example if there is a quest to deliver insulin to someone and you decide to do 10 other things before that, it'll be too late, the guy will be dead. In most cases though the time limits are very lenient.

Do The Evolution posted:

sellouts. you've lost sight of your forefathers

We will have a button that crashes the game for all the people who want to ruin our reputation by pointing out how the game keeps crashing all the time.

sharrrk posted:

Will the game keep track of any quests or events the player has completed from previous runs to make finding new paths easier?

Also, will every possible path through the game have a unique title, similar to Shadow the Hedgehog?

I don't think I'm allowed to say anything about this, sorry.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm just picturing a system that keeps track of a ludicrous amount of stats to award the player with a speedrun achievement at the end "#4 world time for the 'use-exactly-68-potions-during-the-main-quest-while-also-completing-the-Duergar-Virtual-Pet-questline-without-using-any-golden-frisbees' challenge"

There will be 10000000000000000000000000000000000 achievements that consist of every possible way you play the game, and every single thing you do or don't do. For example "Stood still at the start of the game for 1 second", "Stood still at the start of the game for 2 seconds", "Used options menu", "Didn't use options menu".

Basically the bottom-right part of the screen is obscured 100% of the time because of achievement notifications. If we get this on Steam, that is.

Anonymous Robot posted:

I'm guessing we won't be seeing that playable beta by the end of December? :shobon:

Cicero posted:

The Chef giveth, and the Chef taketh away.

Oh, was this a thing that someone talked about?

I'd like to put out a demo or something but it's not up to me.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Gortarius posted:

Time does affect things, for example if there is a quest to deliver insulin to someone and you decide to do 10 other things before that, it'll be too late, the guy will be dead. In most cases though the time limits are very lenient.
When does the timer start, though? Does it start when you get through character generation, or when you get to the area he's in, or talk to him/take the quest?

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Gortarius posted:

In my mind I have deduced that it is more likely genies than duergar but I can't tell for sure right now.

Is it one of the things carried from an old save?

Gortarius posted:

There will be 10000000000000000000000000000000000 achievements that consist of every possible way you play the game, and every single thing you do or don't do. For example "Stood still at the start of the game for 1 second", "Stood still at the start of the game for 2 seconds", "Used options menu", "Didn't use options menu".

Basically the bottom-right part of the screen is obscured 100% of the time because of achievement notifications. If we get this on Steam, that is.

Will the achievements be Steam-only ( as in, we'll only get to see them if the game gets on Steam), or will they be viewable in-game in a menu as well? Also, when will you guys be going on Greenlight?

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Dec 18, 2014

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Gortarius posted:

So copying noted Roguelike and Sperg Simulator TOME4 then. Will this game have any original content?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I want this game more than I want Incan gold or even apple bottoms.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Gortarius posted:

Oh, was this a thing that someone talked about?

I'd like to put out a demo or something but it's not up to me.

:shobon:

I don't really have any interest in playing a beta anyways, and I actually hope one doesn't come out and spoil all the joke's before the finished game is out, I just want to play this game!

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Anonymous Robot posted:

*Scam picture*

:shobon:

I don't really have any interest in playing a beta anyways, and I actually hope one doesn't come out and spoil all the joke's before the finished game is out, I just want to play this game!

Hmm, well, that estimation was a bit on the optimistic side looking back to it now. There has been a lot of problems, big and small, that make the dev time extend. Ever since day 1. We have no idea what we are doing but everyone already knew that.

Demo would prob give some good feedback, but I think the gameplan is to have all that poo poo in conventions. Our producer says that there are no plans for any conventions right now though.............................................................. besides barkleycon 2015.... and ToGcon 2015

Big Mad Drongo posted:

So copying noted Roguelike and Sperg Simulator TOME4 then. Will this game have any original content?

No.

In other news, I just got a 30+ maps request dumped on me, gonna youtube that poo poo in the following few days if anyone cares. I think Frankie is also uploading some NPC sprites and poo poo.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
When will you put the game on Greenlight? Games are still going through, although Valve doesn't really bother to announce them any more. It's definitely still a Thing. Valve has shown no signs of actually fulfulling its promise to nuke Greenlight and eventually replace it, at least not yet.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Put The Game On Greenlight.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

Gortarius posted:

no they aren't, what the hell game are you playing

Chef Boyardee fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 20, 2014

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Chef Boyardee posted:

I hope that people who wait a year for a steam sale to buy the game are treated to a dead Necron 7 where every quest has long expired.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
barkley 2 features a living breathing world that will die of multiple organ failure within months of release

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Are there any instances of special tense countdown music?

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010
Had a nice dream..

espn.com showcased an *exclusive* web demo of barkley 2 at their annual game jam/showcase. it was set in a classic basketball court,
one of the characters was a basketball player named "Ictal Jordan", who rode little wheels of money that he spun with his feet. here's a picture:

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Chef Boyardee posted:

Ya got me... I was playing Sonic.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

sockpuppetclock posted:

Had a nice dream..

espn.com showcased an *exclusive* web demo of barkley 2 at their annual game jam/showcase. it was set in a classic basketball court,
one of the characters was a basketball player named "Ictal Jordan", who rode little wheels of money that he spun with his feet. here's a picture:

Goddammit I didn't read the part where it was a dream at first.

Gortarius posted:

It's fate.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

Gortarius posted:

the goal of barkley 2 is to punish people for playing.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
What specific elements of a Barkley 1 save file effect Barkley 2? I assume getting the library ticket, but what about being charitable vs. Unlocking Deathtemple in Hell, or your position in the chup miner strike.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

What specific elements of a Barkley 1 save file effect Barkley 2? I assume getting the library ticket, but what about being charitable vs. Unlocking Deathtemple in Hell, or your position in the chup miner strike.

Monsters slain, battles escaped from, total game time, al bhed yes/no, new game+ yes/no, party level average, VP / BP * Neo-shekels, number of NPCs talked to, Cuchulainn freed or not, number of game overs, number of saves, number of loads, screen scaling, fullscreen/windowed, number of bballs raised, rescued Baby Huey or not, square-enix-goya points, duergar points, genie points, alignment, started Baby Huey sidequest, Baby Huey sacrificed himself in the nuclear reactor room yes or no and Beastiary completion percentage.

slouch
Mar 10, 2009

Is there any chance of Barkley 2 containing a Binding of Isaac style randomized dungeon that could be played over and over ad nauseum? Always looking for a stupid rougelite-like fix and was thinking the randomized gun's system might translate well to the format.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

slouch posted:

Is there any chance of Barkley 2 containing a Binding of Isaac style randomized dungeon that could be played over and over ad nauseum? Always looking for a stupid rougelite-like fix and was thinking the randomized gun's system might translate well to the format.

I suppose we could make area like that. It would be a lot less elaborate than Isaac in number of different things that you can find etc. I tihnk everyone has their hands full right now though so you'll have to wait any real confirmation to that for some time.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
They gonna say the "n word" in this game? Maybe add in an optional mode like turning blood on/off where it makes the npcs say it a hell of a lot

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gortarius posted:

Hmm, well, that estimation was a bit on the optimistic side looking back to it now. There has been a lot of problems, big and small, that make the dev time extend. Ever since day 1. We have no idea what we are doing but everyone already knew that.

I can't apologize enough for getting Frankie addicted to heroin those three times.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

They gonna say the "n word" in this game? Maybe add in an optional mode like turning blood on/off where it makes the npcs say it a hell of a lot

There is no N word in Esperanto which is the default language choice of B2.

Now, if you turn on Al Bhed language, well, thats a different story....

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

I would like to come across two npc having a never ending "yo mamma" battle

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Is there zauber crafting/customization/enchanting in the game

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Blackheart posted:

Game seems to be gun's only.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Blackheart posted:

They wanted to make an online Gun'schematic's sharing system but they didn't reach that stretch goal and now they're forbidden from making it by Kickstarter law, even if they want to.

swimming anime
Jan 4, 2006

Blackheart posted:

in the dark future of 666X, there is only gun's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

In case you're not aware, Barkley 1 has been updated so there's even more information in the save file. Old-version save files are still compatible with Barkley 2, but for full punishment for playing both games, you'll have to play Barkley 1 again.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Dec 23, 2014