Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Air units also can't hold onto objectives.

I loved Allied General, such lovely variety. It also has the most confusing Normandy map ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Sheen Sheen posted:

Are there any crazy hypothetical scenarios in this one? Like in Panzer General, if you were good enough, you could play a Sea Lion scenario--is there any sort of Sea Lion defense scenarios in Allied General or the like?

If the Brits do better than historically, Churchill awards them with a chance to invade Norway :suicide:

There's also a defense of Cairo if the poo poo hits the fan.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

I think there is a mislabeling in this scenario with Kronstadt - which is an island in the Gulf of Finland and the base for Baltic Fleet. The city at that map location is Oranienbaum, which was held as a bridgehead throughout the siege.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

I thought even the original PG displayed your unit's movement radius when you selected it... but it's been a while so I could be mistaken. (ninja edit: no, looks like I remembered it right: Panzer General 1994)

At any rate, I think on modern systems it's much easier to get the big picture so you don't get so lost on bigger maps. Original Panzer General on DOS was limited to 640x480 resolution while Allied General was only limited by what your Windows could display - I think I ran it at 800x600 resolution at the time on a 14" monitor. Scrolling the map wasn't so smooth either (crappy PC and Win95...) and the interface was clumsier.

You get some of the same experience when playing Panzer Corps. The graphics are lovely but you get only a few more hexes on screen than in the original Panzer General, so big scenarios with multiple flashpoints like Germany 1945 are a bit disorienting.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Airpower's problem is that all you need is a little rain or snow and they are a no-show. On the other hand when the ground gets muddy the truck-pulled artillery can't stay up with tanks and cavalry, and it'll be a while before we get SU-122. I'll go with C, gotta have more artillery but also some Sturmoviks as a backup.

In Panzer General my favourite tactic versus enemy heavies (Matilda II, KV etc.) before heavy panzers came out was to have level bombers pound them continuously. Level bombers do little damage but their suppression stays on the target for the rest of the turn, allowing even light units to attack them and force them to retreat - in addition to which they lose fuel and ammunition every time, particularly useful against KV-2s. It's probably not a good tactic for Soviets because they don't seem to have too good level bombers.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Can the Flak 88 AD guns engage ground units as well in game?

Only if attacked. The same goes with most ground units vs. planes, eg. the Stug below - note the Air Attack value in parenthesis.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

SU-a The game's about baby-sitting your army of steel tamagochis so they can do that extra mile of damage when necessary. Though sometimes it's worthwhile to recruit an auxiliary horde of conscripts, cavalry and light tanks to just swarm the enemy and reach more places, and keep the pressure while your veterans are resupplying/getting replacements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

US-b Heavy infantry with Bazookas, supported by heavy artillery is the key to most problems. Relying too much on air supremacy will reflect poorly at us in scenarios with bad weather or with few airfields.

• Locked thread