Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Panzer/Allied General is one of my favorite games of all time, so I'll definitely be following this.

What are you using for making the screenshots with the arrows and the circles and other markings? I've always wanted to do a similar LP, but figured that the level of illustration you're presenting would be necessary.

ChaosSamusX posted:

Is there supposed to be a designated scale in this game, or do units just represent abstract amounts of troops?
PG is in a state of flux when it comes to representing unit and map scales, since one scenario might have you laying siege to Sevastopol, but the next will have you making a line-drive towards Stalingrad. It's part of the game's simplified, beer-and-pretzels take on WW2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
This is all from wikipedia, so standard disclaimer for using that as a source.

Terijoki was one of the first towns to be captured by the Soviets, on or around Dec 1, 1939, which matches Kangra's first-turn capture.

There were two Battles of Summa - the first was from Dec 19 to 22, which ended in Soviet defeat after bad tactics lead to about 20 tanks being destroyed or abandoned even if the Finns lacked real anti-tank weapons. The second battle started on Feb 11, 1940 and continued until Feb 15, when the Finns pulled out after repeated large-scale Soviet assaults.

If Kangra captures Summa on the next turn, which would be Feb 1, he beats history. Soviet troops did not enter Viipuri/Tali until the first week of Mar 1940 (which was also when the war ended), Taipale on the eastern side of the Mannerheim Line did not actually fall and held out until the armistice was signed, and the Soviets did not even come close to Sortavala, so taking any one of those objectives is an even bigger historical bonus.

Finally, it seems like Sortavala was originally supposed to be attacked east-to-west, from the northern side of Lake Ladoga, so this is actually putting a lot more pressure on the Soviet player since he has to go the long way around of south-to-north, punching through the Mannerheim Line.

EDIT: Great going, by the way. Not just on the LP, but on the game in general. This is the hardest campaign to start with.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 4, 2012

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Glad to see this got another update. Your game mechanics explanations even let me learn some things I didn't know despite having grown up with the PG series.

Do you know how Rugged Defense works/is triggered? I only know that it happens if a non-Pioneer/Engineer unit tries to attack a heavily entrenched defender, and that it spells bad news for tanks.

One of my favorite other rules in this game are Strategic Bombers. They hardly ever cause any kills, but any suppression they cause is retained for the entire turn instead of only for that one engagement, which makes them useful for generating surrender/retreat/no-retaliation results.

It's also worth noting that Desert hexes cause Replacements to only add one Strength point. I think it also reduces resupply points.

Finally, what are your plans for the shared Allied campaign? IIRC, some scenarios are common across both British and American campaigns, with only the core force being different. Which core would you be using?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Comstar posted:

I played PG for many hours when it came out, but I can't even get past the first mission in this free version. The Poles get huge amounts of Guns and Artillery that rips my Panzer's apart by the time I reach the two back cities.

You might have to tinker with the AI / difficulty settings a bit to get past the first couple of campaign missions, because otherwise the AI has this habit of just buying up whatever and sticking it in the objective cities faster than you can destroy them (especially since your forces are so limited). You also have to try to get adjacency to the objective cities ASAP, to prevent them from buying up units and placing them there.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Cairo for the chance at more prestige and experience for our troops.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Still following this LP. Keep it up!

I vote for (A) keeping a small but elite force of infantry, Yes to an ANZAC unit, and I'd like to suggest getting a level bomber into the core when appropriate. Forcing a Tiger tank to surrender because of excessive suppression is one of my favorite moves to pull on the Germans.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Arcturas posted:

Eh, it's worth losing an infantry now and then if you have the prestige for it.

Do you have a link/recommendation for the campaign trees? I'd like to try a German game on my own, but always get fussy about missing missions/like to know what my options are.

First scenarios are Poland and Warsaw. You need a Major Victory at Warsaw to be able to do Norway.

After that comes Low Countries and France.

You need a Major Victory in France (difficult!) if you want to do Sealion in 1940. There's also an option to do Sealion Plus, in which you have to pay something like 1000 prestige in exchange for having a second fleet of Italians supporting the invasion. A Major Victory in Sealion seals off the Western Front entirely, you move on to Barbarossa and never have to worry about Commonwealth or US forces ever again.

If you refuse Sealion despite the Major in France, or if France / Sealion was only a Minor Victory, then the Commonwealth survives and you get to choose between Western and Eastern Fronts.

West Front:

You start in the North Africa scenario, which is basically the drive from El Agheila to Mersa Matruh. A Major Victory here assumes that British resistance in North Africa completely collapses and you get to do the Middle East hypothetical scenario, which aims for the capture of Baghdad.

A Minor Victory in North Africa advances you to the Battle of El Alamein, where you start near Tobruk and have to capture Cairo. You also get the option of switching to the East Front, where you catch up in Kiev.

A Major Victory in El Alamein or the Middle East gives you the opportunity to launch Sealion 1943. As with the earlier Sealion, a Major Victory here seals off the entire Western Front forever.

A Major Victory in the Middle East also lets you do the Caucasus hypothetical scenario, which shifts you to the Eastern Front and is basically the drive for Stalingrad, but your core battlegroup is coming in from the Caucasus mountains (and the rest of Case Blue coming from Stalino are auxiliaries).

If you are less successful in El Alamein, then the Americans enter the picture and you have to fight them off at Operation Torch. A Major Victory here gives you the option of switching to the Eastern Front at Kursk. Otherwise, you fight on to defend Italy in Operation Husky.

A Major Victory at Husky gives you the option of switching to the Eastern Front at Moscow 1943. Otherwise, you get to fight on in Anzio.

(It might seem like there's little difference between a Loss, a Minor Victory and a Major Victory if you still get to fight the next battle anyway, but remember that even if Torch-to-Husky and Husky-to-Anzio will happen no matter the result, a Major Victory still gives you a bunch more prestige)

If you score any kind of win at Anzio, then you can either switch to Byelorussia and defend against the Soviets in Operation Bagration, or stay in the Western Front and fight off D-Day.

(Note that all of the Eastern Front swap options only matter if the Eastern Front is still active. A Major Victory at any of the Moscow scenarios closes off the Eastern Front)

A Major Victory at D-Day sends you to Southern France to defend against Operation Anvil.
A Loss or a Minor Victory at D-Day will find you defending against the Allied breakout in Operation Cobra.

Both Cobra and Anvil will lead to the Ardennes Offensive on a Major Victory, and Market-Garden on a Minor Victory or a loss.

Any sort of win on Market-Garden will also lead to the Ardennes Offensive, or a final defense of Berlin on a loss.

A Major Victory at Ardennes ends the Western Front with an armistice. If the Eastern Front is already won, then the game ends. If the Eastern Front is still active, then game shifts to the Budapest Offensive in mid-1945. A Minor Victory or a loss still results in a final defense of Berlin.

East Front:

If the Commonwealth survives Sealion or doesn't get invaded, then this Front starts off with the invasion of the Balkans. A Major Victory is necessary to try the invasion of Crete. Otherwise, you move on to Barbarossa.

A Minor Victory at Barbarossa moves you on to Kiev. A Major Victory gives you an option of paying prestige to launch Early Moscow in Sep 1941. Otherwise, you still do Kiev and any victory there leads you to Moscow in Oct 1941.

A Major Victory at Moscow wins the whole Eastern Front and gives you a shot at Sealion 1943 if the Brits are still active. A Loss or Minor Victory sends you to Sevastopol. A switch to El Alamein is also offered on a Minor Victory.

From Sevastopol, any sort of win leads to Stalingrad. You need a Major Victory at Stalingrad (or the Caucasus hypothetical) to get a shot at Moscow 1942. A Minor Victory lets you choose between Kharkov and Operation Husky in the West. A Loss shuffles you straight to Kharkov.

Similar to the previous attempt, a Major Victory at Moscow 1942 seals off the Eastern Front forever and lets you do Sealion 1943. If you are less successful, then you have to fight at Kharkov.

A Major Victory at Kharkov gives you your last shot at Moscow in 1943, although that's October of 1943, so no more Sealion even if you win spectacularly. A Minor win at Kharkov sends you to Kursk, while a Loss skips all the way ahead to Operation Bagration in Byelorussia.

A Minor Victory at Kursk will let you defend against Bagration as well, or move to Anzio on the Western Front. A Major Victory gives you Moscow 1943.

If you fail to end the Eastern Front for the third time, Bagration always happens, although a Minor Victory in Moscow 1943 lets you defend against D-Day if you wish.

(As with the Western Front, none of the locale-switching options happen if you had already won a Major in Sealion 1940)

Bagration can go three ways: Any Victory assumes a successful defense and skips ahead to Budapest, or gives you a chance at the Ardennes Offensive. A Loss causes the defense of Berlin.

At Budapest, you need a Major Victory to force an armistice. Anything less and a defense of Berlin happens.

Berlin:

There are three variants: One where you're defending against the West only, or the East only, or even both sides. For example, if you can win an armistice in the west via Ardennes, then a loss at Budapest finds you only facing the Soviets.

Washington DC:

This is the ultimate hypothetical. To earn this, you need to win both fronts. That means a Major at Sealion 1940 and then any of the Moscow scenarios, a Major at Sealion 1943 and then Moscow 1943, or a Major at Moscow 1941/1942 and then a Major Sealion 1943.

Best Campaign Path:

The fastest route would be something like [Poland, Warsaw, (Norway), Low Countries, France, Sealion 1940/Plus, Barbarossa, Early Moscow, Washington].

However, that will leave your core fairly light in experience and prestige. It might be better to throw a couple of scenarios and build up some 5-star super-units. Go to North Africa, save Sealion for 1943, and then Moscow 1943. Or finish off the Brits early, but drag out the Eastern Front as long as possible.

EDIT:

I've thought about this a bit more, and the easiest campaign path is probably a pre-1943 Moscow followed by Sealion 1943.

Getting that 13 turn Major Victory in France is one of the most difficult feats in Panzer General (and I daresay gaming in general), second only to trying to secure a win at Norway.

So you do Poland, Warsaw, Norway, Low Countries and probably will only score a Minor in France. Five battles so far (six if you want to get cute by taking the Major in France then deliberately throwing Sealion 1940 so you can come back later).

If you go West, that takes you to North Africa, then Middle East, then Caucasus, then Moscow 1942, then Sealion 1943. Ten battles to Washington DC.

If you don't detour into the East Front, that's North Africa, then Middle East, then you would have to deliberately throw the Middle East so you go back to El Alamein, but score a Major at El Alamein so you can still do Sealion 1943, and then Moscow 1943. That's also ten battles to Washington DC.

Alternatively, you can go East and fight in the Balkans, then Crete, then Barbarossa. Eight battles so far.

Early Moscow is the the easiest of the Moscow variants since you have a great head-start in the south, the weather remains pleasant, and the fortifications aren't as dense, but you do need to pay a chunk of prestige, and going Early Moscow after Barbarossa, then Sealion 1943 is only ten battles to Washington DC.

Instead, you could elect to fight in Kiev, then Sevastopol, then Stalingrad, then Moscow 1942, then Sealion 1943. That's 13 battles in total. The trade-off is that the Moscow scenario will be that much more difficult, although the extra experience and prestige and newer equipment should make up for it.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 24, 2013

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Just chiming in to say that I'm still following this LP and am a big fan. I actually got the original Panzer General to play on my Android tablet with Dosbox Turbo, and that and this thread have kept me entertained through many a quiet shift.

Bozikek posted:

I remember playing this for the first time and encountering Tigers and wondering how the heck your suppose to deal with them.

I was a little dim to not use all resources (air, art and tank killers)

To be fair, I think that may well have been the reaction of IRL Allied commanders, too.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I really love how "realistic" the force dispositions and objectives are in the Stalingrad scenario. There are no supply lines to speak of in PG, but you still get the sense that you're creating a massive kessel.

Kangra posted:

gradenko, does the Dosbox emulate it in a way that touch interface works? I can see that being nice for this if you can just tap where to go on the map.

I use relative mouse tracking since the screen is too small and my fingers too imprecise to tap units and buttons directly, which makes a bit slower than working on a real mouse, let alone with PGForever's small interface improvements, but otherwise it works perfectly well. I'm up to the Caucasus scenario now, after scoring Majors in North Africa and the Middle East.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It just wouldn't be a proper British campaign without Churchill's love for soft underupperbellies. Voting yes for Norway and yes for a level bomber.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Just chiming in to say that I'm still following this LP intently. Keep it up! Those big German tanks cannot be pleasant to try to deal with.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I'm definitely still following the LP, but I don't really post because I don't feel like there's a lot I can contribute. Perhaps more wide-angle shots so we can follow the big picture better? I acknowledge that PG/AG doesn't really have much in terms of zoom levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The new battle-plan maps and zoomed-out maps for the Korsun update are pretty cool! Much appreciated.

• Locked thread