Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.

Forti posted:

Maybe it was one of these people instead.

There are an incredible amount of fascinating things going on here, it's like a goony rear end Where's Wally

I found the above post in the Awkard/Ugly thread, and it reminded me of threads we had in ages past, which were nothing but post upon post of awesome pictures of, well, lairs is the best word probably. They're endlessly fascinating to me because of how detailed they are, giant sadness cakes with new horrors to be found on every layer, so I thought it would be a good thread idea to revive.

Post pictures of rooms where only a nerd could live. They don't have to be disgusting, as the first picture illustrates, but if they aren't they still need to qualify for lair status in some other way. Like, you know, with anime statues, road kill skeletons, used panties, human teeth collections, something like that.

reflir has a new favorite as of 17:55 on Nov 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Prancelot
Mar 7, 2008

:h:Knight of the
Rainbow Table.:h:
Looking for material to put in this thread is like playing chicken with my fear and hatred of compulsive hoarding.

And one that's nerdier than it is gross:

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Well....time to start cleaning the house.

Sir Prancelot
Mar 7, 2008

Darth Freddy posted:

Well....time to start cleaning the house.
You and me both, brother.

Puseklepp
Jan 9, 2011

like watching the most beautiful ballerina on the best stage
Don't have any pictures, but a friend of me would print out pictures of anime shows he liked and hang them on his wall until every inch of the walls were covered by pictures of all kinds of anime, from scantily clad anime girls to Goku. It was bizarre walking into that room.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Sir Prancelot posted:

And one that's nerdier than it is gross:

What's the upper left flag? It looks a little, um, white supremacist. http://www.adl.org/hate_symbols/default_graphics.asp

Sir Prancelot
Mar 7, 2008

The Aphasian posted:

What's the upper left flag? It looks a little, um, white supremacist. http://www.adl.org/hate_symbols/default_graphics.asp
It's a Principality of Zeon flag from Mobile Suit Gundam (:suicide:) and within the context of the show it's kinda supposed to remind you of Nazis since the narrative draws some pretty glaring parallels to WWII.

Keeping one in your room is a pretty terrible nerd idea.

grandma why
Sep 24, 2010

terrible
Do not GIS filthy basement.

Here's someones bedroom. Man o man

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Beige
Sep 13, 2004
Bungmonkey's crawlspace gooncave

One of my favourite images of all time and the only hovel I felt compelled to save to my computer.

waste of internet
Sep 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Beige posted:

One of my favourite images of all time and the only hovel I felt compelled to save to my computer.

Every time I see this, I get curious as to how it happened. Any explanation? I always assume he got kicked out of his house and had no place to go.

waste of internet has a new favorite as of 21:39 on Nov 29, 2012

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
Ah, the annual "need motivation to clean up your house? Voila!" thread...I love these. I used to be a bit messy, but I'm becoming MUCH neater, especially with the more stuff I acquire (and a boyfriend who stays over every night), and the older I get. I have a much lower tolerance from clutter, but occasionally I neglect to straighten up or make the bed. Then these threads come along and set me straight again.

Thank you, SA.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

It's amazing how you can't help but demand an explanation whenever you see one of these places. Your eyes fall upon it and your mind instantly cries out "Explain this bullshit!"

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 21:54 on Nov 29, 2012

Beige
Sep 13, 2004

waste of internet posted:

Every time I see this, I get curious as to how it happened. Any explanation? I always assume he got kicked out of his house and had no place to go.

I have no info, I'm afraid.

The lairs in which some people live are fascinating sometimes, especially when you spot an obscure gem tucked away in some corner such as in the third image in the OP. Once you catch that sink in the corner you realise that the person sits at their computer on a blanket in the kitchen. I just don't understand.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
I've been letting my cleanliness slip. This thread is a good kick in the rear end.

Beige posted:

My... "favourite" part of this room has always been my complete inability to figure out what the colossal grey lumps are.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Falls Down Stairs posted:

I've been letting my cleanliness slip. This thread is a good kick in the rear end.

My... "favourite" part of this room has always been my complete inability to figure out what the colossal grey lumps are.

I think it's just the vapor barrier over the dirt. He may have tried to shape it into rudimentary furniture, like the saddest sand sculpture.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

What, in the background on the left? That's just dirt of piles of bricks or something covered by dusty tarps. Far left looks like some carpet.

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed

I've lowered some basments in my time, this is a cellar in the aborted process of being converted into a proper basement. The heavy-duty tarps are to keep out bugs and squirrels and such.

Sir Prancelot
Mar 7, 2008

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

The briefcase is for their private trash.

Or maybe it's got trash to throw around a hotel room so they feel at home while out on business.

Sir Prancelot
Mar 7, 2008

That jar by the TV.

What is it.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

The face-down teddy bear with a hole in its bottom on the bare mattress upsets me more.

EDIT \/\/\/
Someone's eventually going to post the goon house worse than the above, except it also has their children in it, so I think there isn't much that could be worse than that. Too late.

And this may be the kind of thread that the mods encourage the regular derail discussing the best cleaning products and the pros/cons of The Container Store or a materialism-free conversion to Buddhism.

The Aphasian has a new favorite as of 22:17 on Nov 29, 2012

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Would it be outside the scope of the thread to post about goon lairs we've seen in real life, or about ones we've seen on the internet that are too horrible to post here?

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

The Monkey Man posted:

Would it be outside the scope of the thread to post about goon lairs we've seen in real life, or about ones we've seen on the internet that are too horrible to post here?

Tag and link those horrible ones if you think they shouldn't be under img tags.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
From CPS Took my kids this morning

A whole series of pictures

Highlights:

And the icing on the cake:

quote:

BAN 12/04/11 09:32pm WNxOddJob Grotesque mockery of a human being. Lowtax Lowtax

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.
There are no lairs too horrible to post here edit: linked if you have to. Stories are also accepted I GUESS, but I'd rather have pictures. You can't find teddybears that have assumed The Position just by looking at a story the way you can with a picture.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Lazy Programming posted:

Tag and link those horrible ones if you think they shouldn't be under img tags.

The lair in question had posters from an infamous anime aimed at pedophiles all over it, I'm afraid that I'd get banned if I even linked it (and really don't want to look at it again, anyway)

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Well this has been weird. I decided to try and pull up pictures of my old living situation when I was in highschool and it brought up all kinds of old memories. My dad and his wife both basically refused to clean anything and I had friends who lived out of town and out of state who thought I was making poo poo up when I told them I lived in a garbage dump. These pictures were taken maybe a week before I moved out and I've lived on my own ever since (other than a month spent living there when between jobs). I've gradually worked away the habits that living like this since I was pretty young left me with and now own a fairly nice house that is well kept. My father and his wife both died (separately) and while he didn't live at this house at the time, he still has quite a bit of clutter and what not that I have admittedly been putting off digging into for too long. The pictures are kind of blurry because it was taken with a digital camera that is now ~15 years old and was crappy even back then. Anyway, pictures:

Here's the basement, a third of this was my bedroom, a third was a playroom for the younger kids, and a third of it was a laundry room and the "Hell Bathroom". I didn't take any pictures of the bathrooms for whatever reason but the "Hell Bathroom" was basically an old ceramic sink, and a crappy shower stall that seemed like something from a prison. It was full of black mold and spiders so my dad eventually put our old Nordictrack in front of the door in an effort to seal it off.

My room:

This was a loveseat that served as a barrier between my room and the laundry room so laundry got thrown on it a lot.

Laundry area:

Play area:

This is the kitchen, it was gross as hell. I was the designated dishes cleaner for a family of six and at this point I wasn't spending much time at home so things only got worse. I rememberd noting when I took these pictures that in the back of the fridge was a bowl of french onion dip that had been loosely covered with foil and was now entirely mold, as it was there from the meal we fed the people who helped us move in to the house about three years before. By the time my dad moved out, the stove top hadn't worked for a while, presumably from the filth that had built up over the seven years or so that he lived there.

(the dip bowl is the green bowl in the top left)

This is the livingroom. A lot of the pictures are too blurry to post but basically it was full of laundry baskets because that is as far as clean clothes made it from the laundry area in the basement. There were always pizza boxes and about a month's worth of newspapers there, too.

And that's the house I lived in while going to highschool. I don't have any pictures of the house before that or the trailer we lived in before that but they never got quite that bad.

OpusD
Sep 7, 2003

I weep for the motherland.

Jibo posted:

Well this has been weird. I decided to try and pull up pictures of my old living situation when I was in highschool and it brought up all kinds of old memories.

I see magic cards, tons of open PC's and computer parts scattered around, and dirty clothes everywhere. Definitely a goon home.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

This one has a happy ending though! The guy got his poo poo together, picked up the house, got his kids back, got a job, and is working with a therapist.

Some of the other pictures though...well, something tells me that Mr. Teddy Bear Fucker is probably never going to have a happy and fulfilling life.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Can someone explain the appeal of anime figurines? I mean, I like a bunch of video games, movies and shows that have action figures or other merch, but I can't imagine buying 50 of them and putting them on display. And yet, a really common theme of these pictures is a gargantuan collection of them. What's that about?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
It's the same appeal anyone has for collecting hordes of anything. Cat statues or plates or whatever the hell. I don't think it's worth trying to understand it beyond it being an unhealthy obsession, particularly since those things cost like 50 to 100 bucks a pop or more.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Can someone explain the appeal of anime figurines? I mean, I like a bunch of video games, movies and shows that have action figures or other merch, but I can't imagine buying 50 of them and putting them on display. And yet, a really common theme of these pictures is a gargantuan collection of them. What's that about?

So they can do this? :nws:

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.

Sloober posted:

It's the same appeal anyone has for collecting hordes of anything. Cat statues or plates or whatever the hell. I don't think it's worth trying to understand it beyond it being an unhealthy obsession, particularly since those things cost like 50 to 100 bucks a pop or more.

But cats are cute and you can eat off plates. Anime figurines are essentially creepy erotic paper weights.

Inpossible
Oct 9, 2012

This guy doesn't even want to see the outside.

This guy loves his beer.

:sweep:

Beige
Sep 13, 2004

Inpossible posted:

This guy loves his beer.

That is one hell of a classy lamp though. It really draws your eyes away from the squalor.

In all seriousness though, how do people live like this? I mean, those monitors are about 15 inches, tops. And the aspect ratio must make watching anime terribly uncomfortable.

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

They're always figures of women characters, too. I had a few animu figures myself when I was in my early 20's, but they were Spike and Vicious from Cowboy Bebop (neither of whom is a woman, is the point, if you don't care for the animus). My buddy has a gargantuan collection, but they're from all sorts of things, and the most he has of any one thing is Lego Star Wars figures because his wife thinks they're cute. But these dudes, it's like fifty women with pink and blue hair. It's a little creepy.

Like this one, the whole front display case is female characters. What the hell, there's gotta be 100 waifus of the day in there.

Elim Garak has a new favorite as of 23:56 on Nov 29, 2012

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Inpossible posted:

This guy loves his beer.

:sweep:

Too bad, looks like some nice cherry (okay, probably laminate, but still) floors under all that mess.

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Squalor Doo and the Mystery eMachine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

madeupfred posted:

Squalor Doo and the Mystery eMachine

Isn't this the guy that runs The Pirate Bay or am I thinking of something else?

Also I think something that maybe keeps these people from cleaning up is that there's probably hordes of bugs and poo poo under all the trash waiting to be unleashed.

Help Im Alive has a new favorite as of 00:10 on Nov 30, 2012

• Locked thread