Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
The Southampton stars of tomorrow assuming we don't sell them to Arsenal or Chelsea or whoever for £15 million each will be Luke Shaw and James Ward-Prowse who have both made Premier League starts this season and have both been relatively impressive. I suspect we'll see more of Shaw than Ward-Prowse this season because our midfield is far stronger than our defence and even at 17 Shaw is better than our other options at left back. Shaw has been linked with Chelsea recently but I don't see us letting him go unless we get some silly money offer.

I've also heard good things about Jack Stephens but I've yet to see him play so I don't know how good he is/could be.

From the list in the OP we have Gastón Ramirez who is arguably our best player and our improved recent form can partially be attributed to his return from injury, as well as Jack Cork's return. We also have Emmanuel Mayuka but I've not seen him play for more than a few minutes so I can't really comment on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
I don't think Neymar will go anywhere before the 2015 season and then it will probably be to Real Madrid. He needs a team with deep pockets that have an individual player skill focus.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Courtois is pretty excellent

The Fuck Juicer
Oct 16, 2012

TyChan posted:

For me, part of my suspicions are based on the fact that he stuck around Santos in the first place instead of making the jump already. Then again, admittedly, that could all be due to whatever convoluted contract ownership situation the guy is in right now.

The only teams that would spend the £40+ million required for him are Real, Barca, Man City & Chelsea, and even then he'd only go straight into Man City and Chelsea's first-team. He's 20 now though, and his recent interviews suggest he's more open to a European move which would indicate he was a little nervous moving away when he was 18/19.

TyChan posted:

against more physically challenging defenders who will be out to get him and don't have a cultural mindset preventing them from getting vicious. (Is that a "cold night at Stoke" argument?)

Cultural mindset from getting vicious? I can guarantee you there's quite a few brawls and red cards in the Brazilian league. Plus there's defenders like Dede, Leonardo Silva and Heleno who exceed most PL defenders in terms of size. The physical presence is there, they just offer him a lot more room and time on the ball. Messi is tightly marked and players actively try to foul him and it means nothing, he just dribbles past them. Same would happen with Neymar.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Grainbarn posted:

He's 20 years old, staying home and at Santos is not a knock against him. More than most countries I think if you're starting, playing well/scoring goals on Brazil's national team you're probably a pretty good talent that can go just about anywhere, league-wise. I would not make this same argument for someone playing on the USMNT for example.

I really think the biggest reason he hasn't left Brazil yet is because he's owned by like 50 different people/companies and it's going to cost like 40mil+ and that really limits the amount of teams that will even bother.

I saw him in person against Ecuador and while he didn't exactly have the best game, the goal he scored and the way he turned the defender inside out was magnificent. Of course he also missed a penalty by about 25 feet (not an exaggeration, if there wasn't an American Football net behind the goal it would of ended up in the back rows of the lower bowl or the 2nd deck).

My one issue would be his physicality though and I think it's a fair complaint,
but at the same time he is only 20. He just gets muscled off the ball far too easily and not even by big tough defenders. He just seems to completely lack any sort of force or conviction in his play. Not a knock on him as I think he's a very special player and he's going to make his mark in Europe.

Akileese fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 30, 2012

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Akileese's post about Neymar's physicality expressed my concerns about Neymar going to Europe a lot better than I did.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Hatem Ben Arfa posted:

if SAF couldn't sort his attitude out then no-one will.

Nah. This attitude seems to stem from his handling of Cantona, who still ended up exploding spectacularly, and in all honesty, was never as wild in England as his previous reputation suggested he would be. Fergie has spectacularly hosed up his relationships with countless players over nothing over the years and whenever there's a Man Utd gathering you always hear of it being an opportunity for at least one player to reconcile.

I don't think Ferguson has ever really sorted anyone's attitude, so much as implant them into a winning, professional team and give them an avenue to direct their competitiveness, mean streak or even self-destructive nature.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

The Clit Avoider posted:

Nah. This attitude seems to stem from his handling of Cantona, who still ended up exploding spectacularly, and in all honesty, was never as wild in England as his previous reputation suggested he would be. Fergie has spectacularly hosed up his relationships with countless players over nothing over the years and whenever there's a Man Utd gathering you always hear of it being an opportunity for at least one player to reconcile.

I don't think Ferguson has ever really sorted anyone's attitude, so much as implant them into a winning, professional team and give them an avenue to direct their competitiveness, mean streak or even self-destructive nature.

More players speak well of his discipline than don't and many players that he fell out with speak well of him and have returned as guests to the club since, in fact the only one that hasn't is Roy Keane who is easily as stubborn as Ferguson.

Beckham and van Nistelrooy being the most notable, all of the class of 92 have mentioned on more than one occasion how he mentored them, instilled the right behaviour, was like a second father, etc etc. There's the famous incident of him showing up at a party and removing Giggs from it.

It's not as if Ferguson handles all the players in all the ranks himself either and a big loss to the club was Eric Harrison retiring.

Ravel had plenty of support at United and ample opportunity to stop being a massive cock. Rio and I think at least one or two other first team players went and spoke to him and he still couldn't keep out of trouble. He then went on to be a dick at West Ham. There's just no helping some people.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Ninpo posted:

More players speak well of his discipline than don't and many players that he fell out with speak well of him and have returned as guests to the club since, in fact the only one that hasn't is Roy Keane who is easily as stubborn as Ferguson.

Beckham and van Nistelrooy being the most notable, all of the class of 92 have mentioned on more than one occasion how he mentored them, instilled the right behaviour, was like a second father, etc etc. There's the famous incident of him showing up at a party and removing Giggs from it.

It's not as if Ferguson handles all the players in all the ranks himself either and a big loss to the club was Eric Harrison retiring.

Ravel had plenty of support at United and ample opportunity to stop being a massive cock. Rio and I think at least one or two other first team players went and spoke to him and he still couldn't keep out of trouble. He then went on to be a dick at West Ham. There's just no helping some people.

I know all that, I just mean the "if Fergie can't sort him out" is piss, there's plenty of managers that do the same - witness the lengths Walter Smith used to go to with Gazza and others (hell, he had Gazza round the table for his family's private Christmas dinner at one point).

It's not unique, and it's actually far easier to do when a team is doing well. The class of '92 were for the most part professionally minded, Paul Scholes was never going to be a Lee Sharpe mkII, and Giggs falling into line was as much to do with him coming to loathe the invasions of the press in my opinion.

Morrison is a complete headcase and would be where he will undoubtedly end up already if it weren't for football - in prison.

Needledick
May 26, 2012
Cleverley isn't on that list at number 1 therefore they don't know what they're talking about and clearly just pulled names out of a hat.

:colbert:

euroboy posted:

Arsenals Thomas Eisfeld is the real deal

This. Also, Wellington has ability coming out of his backside but just lacks application. Galindo is another who will either be a monster or never be heard of again.

Needledick fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 30, 2012

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Needledick posted:

Cleverley isn't on that list at number 1 therefore they don't know what they're talking about and clearly just pulled names out of a hat.

:colbert:

Meh he's 23 and has been playing first team football since 2009 on loan I'm not overly surprised he's not on that list, it's taken him a bit longer to feature in the United squad.

I didn't realise he averaged a goal every three games at Watford though.

Needledick
May 26, 2012

Ninpo posted:

Meh he's 23 and has been playing first team football since 2009 on loan I'm not overly surprised he's not on that list, it's taken him a bit longer to feature in the United squad.

This is why I thought it was odd to see Man City Superstar Jack Rodwell on the list. Rafael?

Needledick fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 30, 2012

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Needledick posted:

This is why I thought it was odd to see Man City Superstar Jack Rodwell on the list. Rafael?

Only a year younger but yeah, list seems a bit arbitrary unless they're cutting off at 24/25 in which case Cleverley's omission is odd.

Rafael is loving quality I'm so pleased with how well he's doing this season. He's looking like a young Neville, but with some tekkers.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Ninpo posted:

Only a year younger but yeah, list seems a bit arbitrary unless they're cutting off at 24/25 in which case Cleverley's omission is odd.

They cut off at players who were 23 and under on December 2011. Generally, unless a player had a decent number of first team appearances before December 2011, they were not going to show up on that list unless they had made a huge impact in a youth international tournament.

The list might be a bit crazy, but I encourage you guys to read the actual articles and player summaries. I think they put a decent amount of thought and effort into the list and tracking how the players' years have gone.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

edit: n/m I read something wrong

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 30, 2012

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
The articles are cool, but the actual list itself is crap.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

TyChan posted:

They cut off at players who were 23 and under on December 2011. Generally, unless a player had a decent number of first team appearances before December 2011, they were not going to show up on that list unless they had made a huge impact in a youth international tournament.

The list might be a bit crazy, but I encourage you guys to read the actual articles and player summaries. I think they put a decent amount of thought and effort into the list and tracking how the players' years have gone.

Ah makes sense then.

rats off to ya
Jul 22, 2008

Josh McEachran just blew the game for Middlesbrough so let's leave him off.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

rats off to ya posted:

Josh McEachran just blew the game for Middlesbrough so let's leave him off.

What happened?

rats off to ya
Jul 22, 2008

Ninpo posted:

What happened?

Not sure, but had a couple of tweets come in saying he gave it up to make it 3-2 to Birmingham City. He was subbed off right after.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

rats off to ya posted:

Not sure, but had a couple of tweets come in saying he gave it up to make it 3-2 to Birmingham City. He was subbed off right after.

drat I nearly put a both teams to score bet on that match but wasn't sure how good/poo poo Brum are now.

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012
Victor Wanyama is a 21 year old midfielder who plays for Celtic and has loads of potential. He's physically superb: tall, strong, quick and immense in the air. He's also a pretty good goal threat, both from set-pieces and from distance. Wanyama's biggest fault is that his passing is kinda so-so, but if he could pass as well as he does everything else he wouldn't be playing for Celtic. Could see him doing really well in England.

Also Tony Watt is more than just that guy who score the winner against Barca for Celtic, he's scored 6 goals this season for Celtic despite us having literally zero good creative players. Only 18 but again he's got an excellent physique and can finish, I'm pretty excited about him!

I probably should at least mention James Forrest as he's on these sorts of lists a lot but he's been pretty poo poo for like a year and gets injured quite a lot too.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Christian Benteke (21, Belgium, Aston Villa) is just coming into his body and refining his technique, but is already dominating matches in the premiership and in international play. He's extremely physical, but has a "good touch for a big man™". The partnership between him and the more lithe Andreas Weimann looks pretty exciting up-top and they have been involved in most of the teams goals this season.

Villa are one of the youngest sides in the premier league so there are really a couple good shouts in the side, but those two seem the most promising along with Ciaran Clark, Ashley Westwood, and Barry Bannan.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
There's a fairly big generation of danish youth players seemingly coming good right around now.

At Ajax we have the obvious in Christian Eriksen (20). He is getting all the hype currently and he certainly has the potential to be really good. Classic no.10 attacking midfield playmaker. Has been burdened with the label of "new Laudrup".
The less obvious in Viktor Fischer (18) (he has mostly been making waves in the Nextgen but has made his Eredivisie debut and scored goals). He is essentially a more a direct version of Eriksen who plays a bit further up the pitch. He has also been played on the left wing. He has the potential to if not be better than Eriksen, then at least be a better goalscorer than him.
Still at Ajax we have Nicolai Boilesen (20), the boy who would be starting left back for the national team easily if it wasn't for his terrible luck with injuries. He's still very young and is looking to real good.
The latest addition to the group at Ajax is Lucas Andersen (18). He's another attacking midfielder who can play across the midfield. One of the brightest prospects of the generation.

Meanwhile in Italy, we have Frederik Sørensen (20) who is a defender, primarily right back but can also play CB. He was signed by Juventus in 2010 and actually managed to play quite a few games for the first team. He is currently at Bologna in co-ownership thing to get more games.

In the domestic league there's currently two very bright striking prospects, which is sorely needed since Bendtner is the only striker around apparently.

Andreas Cornelius (19) is topscorer with 12 goals and Nicklas Helenius (21) has 8 goals and 8 assists. Of the two Helenius is most polished and most likely to get sold either in the winter or next summer.
There has been a lot of newspaper hype about Cornelius though.

In the category "most likely to get sold" though is Jores Okore. You might have seen him in the Champions League playing for FC Nordsjælland. He plays at centre back and was actually the first player not born in Denmark to play for the national team.

There's also a quite big group of 17-18 year olds who has gone to clubs like Inter, Bayern München, Hamburg etc.

All in all, the declining economic health of the domestic league has meant that clubs are using more youth players so they're getting better and also becoming more visible. I could easily find another 5-7 players to write about but this is probably already long enough as it is. And I doubt anyone really cares.

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

Starsnostars posted:

I've also heard good things about Jack Stephens but I've yet to see him play so I don't know how good he is/could be.

he looked handy in a shambolic league one team two years ago as a literal child, and is very versatile too. pretty sure he'll at least have a solid career and he's at the right club to give him a chance when ready

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Hatem Ben Arfa posted:

He's a Brazilian playmaker trapped in an angry Mancunian's teenage body. If he sorts his attitude out he'll become a world-class player and someone the English national team desperately needs, but if SAF couldn't sort his attitude out then no-one will.

What he needed more than anything else is to get out of Manchester and away from his gang. Its why hes improving so much now - but its worth noting that he still comes up here as often as he can.

Ninpo posted:

Rafael is loving quality I'm so pleased with how well he's doing this season. He's looking like a young Neville, but with some tekkers.

Wouldnt even compare the two, Neville was an immensely better defender and crosser. Rafael is undoubtably a great talent, but in a different way, able to go past defenders and run with the ball. However hes still haphazardley jumping into tackles that he doesnt need to. I did see someone describe him recently and they said "If Rafael is a bad defender, then I want more bad defenders" - with the reasoning being he makes the games so much more exciting to watch because while his defending isnt the best he offers a lot more attacking.

Ive always though at his peak Neville was one of the best right backs ever. Blinkered United view point tho.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches
Went to see our youth team play against Burnley in the FA Youth Cup last night. Always fancied seeing the reserves and youth team a bit more, and since it was at Old Trafford and it was free for members I went along. Was about 3 and a half thousand in the 75k capacity stadium, which made for a weird atmosphere. Its crazy how amplified the Burnely fans sounded at times. There were groups of die hards in the United end singing all the usual songs, with my favourite being when some little kid decided to start a chant, and so everyone joined in in high pitched voices to copy his tone.

Ended up losing 4-3 after extra time, all credit to the Burnley players who never gave up even when their players were dropping like flies with cramp. Particular credit to Jason Gilchrist who played up front for them and scored a hat trick. really good eye for goal, and very persistent. Think he only had 5 shots so really good finishing.

On the United side there were a couple of players who impressed. First off tho - our keeper was called Pierluiji Gollini, which I misread and at first expected a bald italian psycho. Colour me disappointed. He didnt do much in the match, and in truth he and the defence were fairly poor. Liam Grimshaw played ok, seemed the most defensive of them all which was strange since when I looked up after hes listed as a midfielder on our website, whereas the others were happy to go forward and end up out of position.

Was most looking forward to seeing Nick Barmbys kid - Jack Barmby. Ultimately he didnt do much and was subbed in the second half.

Adnan Januzaj was pretty impressive playing in an attacking roaming role. Tries a lot of tricks, likes a stepover and a back heel, which did lead to the first goal

Great little finish by James Weir. Infact he and Ben Pearson were my two standouts in the centre of midfield. Pearson is a quiet effective player, a good passer who plays the effective ball, where as Weir seemed much more of a ballwinner.

Mats Daehli is the name I hear most of from the forums, hes a left winger, euroboy mmay know a little more about him. Very quick and good with the ball. Hes a very confident player too, was constantly trying to organise the players around him.

Of course all of this is from one match, but I thought someone may find it interesting.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
Pearson is boss. Him and Daehli are my two favourite players in that team. Pearson is actually a great ballwinner usually although he didn't show it much last night, he loves a tackle.

Januzaj is the most naturally talented though. Reminds me a bit of Morrison in how he makes difficult things look easy.

Anyway it as a very strange game. United dominated possession and scored three without ever really getting going but their defending was laughable.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Lot 49 posted:

Anyway it as a very strange game. United dominated possession and scored three without ever really getting going but their defending was laughable.

Kinda just sounds like every United first team game this season.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Lot 49 posted:

Pearson is boss. Him and Daehli are my two favourite players in that team. Pearson is actually a great ballwinner usually although he didn't show it much last night, he loves a tackle.

Pearson seemed one of those players that even when you dont notice him hes running things. Very very good on the ball.

The thing that impressed me most with Daehli was how he organised, when he went inside he was directing players to move and cover, instead of just running inbside willy nilly. Seemed to have a good understanding wih Januzaj and lthe left back Powell.

Lot 49 posted:

Januzaj is the most naturally talented though. Reminds me a bit of Morrison in how he makes difficult things look easy.

Not a thing came off for him in the first ten minutes, was constantly trying backheels and they werent coming off. As the game went on he grew into it, he did a fantastic stepover and skipped past a man and from there he went through a real bright patch culminating in that assist

Lot 49 posted:

Guy behind me said "Burnley look desperate for penalties" about 5 seconds before they broke and scored.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Here is the 100 list for 2013. Players are born on or after 1/1/91. At first glance, no Jack Wilshere seems odd (though given his injury issues, eh.) Also, England has only two players, which is lacking compared to all of the other "big" nations.

http://inbedwithmaradona.com/journal/2012/12/19/the-ibwm-100-for-2013.html

TheGoatFeeder
Mar 16, 2005

"One Zaba, Two Zaba, Three Zabaleta, Four Zaba, Five Zaba, Six Zabaleta, Seven Zaba, Eight Zaba, Nine Zabaleta, Heeeeeeeeeey Zabaleta"

DOOP posted:

Here is the 100 list for 2013. Players are born on or after 1/1/91. At first glance, no Jack Wilshere seems odd (though given his injury issues, eh.) Also, England has only two players, which is lacking compared to all of the other "big" nations.

No Nastasic, list is wrong :colbert:

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
AC Milan filed for special permission with Serie A to promote 15 year old Hachim Mastour to the first-team, usually the requirement is 16 years old.

He scored on his recent debut for Italy u-15, video here, and from a few months ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfmTwrXck3M

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

ragle posted:

AC Milan filed for special permission with Serie A to promote 15 year old Hachim Mastour to the first-team, usually the requirement is 16 years old.

He scored on his recent debut for Italy u-15

Whoa, I had no idea he played for Italy too. That owns.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

DOOP posted:

No Bigirimana so clearly a bad list

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Will Milan actually play that kid? It'd be awesome to see a 15 year old in Serie A.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Having 15 year olds playing against adults seems like a bad idea. Wont he get terribly hurt? Hes still growing.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

DOOP posted:

Meh, they forgot De Bruyne.

edit: welp, apparantly they included him last year and by looking at their review of him it's basically "he's very talented etc, but when he goes back to Chelsea it'll really stunt his growth". Which makes sense I guess.

Walh Hara fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 19, 2012

s0meb0dy0
Feb 27, 2004

The death of a child is always a tragedy, but let's put this in perspective, shall we? I mean they WERE palestinian.

DOOP posted:

In a previous post they explain the England choices specifically. Wilshire was injury, but they expect him to make the list next year.

Most other English players just haven't shown enough yet (they really are focusing on first team play, not only future potential).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I watched Bigirimana scythe someone down in European competition for being a massive shite on a drop ball when they had someone injured and thats enough for me

• Locked thread