Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

s0meb0dy0 posted:

11 years old is pretty young to make a list it seems.

But if half those barcelona players pan out, there is going to be a serious lack of available minutes in the midfield and up front. And we'll still need to buy defenders.

defenders are so 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Walh Hara posted:

Personally, I have the impression that defenders really need experience to become good. Of course, strikers and such also need experience, but for those offensive players great technical ability can make up for that. Defenders on the other hand really need to know where to be and how to react and that's just something that takes time to learn.

Also, defenders need to be strong/big, which is something that takes time to improve as well.

As such, there aren't that many defenders that are already great at a very young age.

Agreed. Just watching Caulker this year, he is obviously very technically gifted but sometimes he just isn't in the right place.

Great on corners/freekicks in the box though, got a head on him. (attacking I mean)

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Mean Bean Machine posted:

The NextGen thing is still going on, Sporting just beat Liverpool 4-0 in the round of 16.

Spurs have had off PSG (in paris) on penalties, 4-3.

Big lad up front and cool named spur Shaq Coulthirst scored our only goal (hes our best u19 attacking player is what I've gathered)

Villa also had off Ajax, and Chelsea had off Barca (I wonder if a human mop without confidence scored?)

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Mean Bean Machine posted:

Teams that have moved on to the semis of the NextGen Series are Chelsea, Aston Villa, Sporting (beat Tottenham) and the winner of Arsenal/CSKA. Good show from English teams this year.

Spurs came back from 3-1 down to equalize in the 95th minute only to lose 5-3 in extra time, the second of which was a 45 yard howler apparently

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

MrBling posted:

In the newfangled U21 Premier League, Spurs just beat Liverpool 3-1 and are in first place with 8 wins, 1 draw, 1 loss from 10 matches and with a 10 point lead over Man Utd in second place.

All this with loaning out most of the U21 side at various points and having to play U18 players instead. Hopefully some of them can make it.

Coulthirst is the big one to watch out for I think. 18 years old, Born in Hackney, big lad up front. Starred at the nextgen and now playing for the u21s. pretty sure AVB brought him to train with the first team once or twice too. Wouldn't be surprised to see him in the championship later this season (as they push for "emergency loans") or next year. Though I'm not sure if the academy is legitimately better until they can get a shot at PL football

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Spurs U21s have on the elite group of the U21 PL, scoring 77 times in 24 matches. Now theres playoffs!

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

were gonna do well and then get destroyed by germany in the finals

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

EvilHawk posted:

Not quite sure why Jordan Henderson is still in the squad. I know he is/has been the captain, but a) he's 22 now and b) he should be in the senior side :colbert:

thats the exact attitude which makes our national team development utter shite. Germany and Spain keep the players playing/winning together at a youth level instead of riding the pine on the senior team.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

EvilHawk posted:

That still doesn't answer the question of why a 22 year old can be chosen for an under-21 squad

quote:

Players are eligible to play in the 2011-13 UEFA European Under-21 Championship if they were born on or after 1 January 1990. Players who are eligible to take part at the start of the competition will be eligible until the end of the competition. The national associations are responsible for the strict observation of this provision.

basically if you can play in the qualifiers you can play in the tournament. Makes sense I guess.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

U21 finals tonight, Spurs Vs. United, at OT

Spurs: Archer; Fredericks, Hall, Veljkovic, Fryers; Bentaleb, Carroll, Pritchard; Obika, Kane, Ceballos.

Barthram, Miles, Gallifuoco, Stewart, McEvoy.

United: Amos, Vermijl, Keane, Thorpe, James, Lingard, Pearson, Tunnicliffe, Ekangamene, Cole, Januzaj.

Grimshaw. Sutherland. A.Pereira. Wilson. Pearson.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Wonder if their pay slips got mixed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

trem_two posted:

The NextGen series for 2013-14 has been cancelled due to "funding issues", but they apparently have a sponsor lined up for the following season and it will resume then.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2395446/NextGen-Series-suspended-season-failing-secure-funding.html

oh wow that sucks, think it was great for the kids to get to go all over europe

• Locked thread