Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
A young player I'd watch out for is Ravel Morrison. No seriously, if you see him coming, duck behind the nearest car and pray that he doesn't see you.

I think that all of the hype about Paul Pogba from his time at Man United is completely justified, I get a bit giddy when he comes on for Juve. Such a combination of size, passing skill, good decision making, nose for goal...love that guy.

A couple of young Brazilian defenders in Serie A that are still a bit raw but have really impressed me are Marquinhos at Roma and Juan Jesus for Inter. I expect them both to be fixtures of the Brazilian national team within a couple of years, and I think they'd be a great pair working together, Juan Jesus with the brawn and Marquinhos as the guy to move forward bringing the ball out to the midfield.

GravityDaemon I'm a bit surprised you didn't mention De Sciglio. He's been superb for Milan after being suddenly thrust into a starting role. Last week he did one of the best individual defending jobs on Asamoah that I've seen this year. He might not be a world-beater type, but he's looking like a good bet to have a long international career with Italy.

While Belhanda gets all of the credit for the attacking mid play at Montpellier (and gets onto lists like the one posted here), I think that Remy Cabella is basically just as good and just as important to their success, and seems to be a bit more disciplined than Belhanda. I don't think Cabella will be a world class player or anything, but it's just interesting to me that Behlanda gets such universal praise while Cabella flies under the radar when they're both very good, the same age, and play similar roles on the same squad.

I have seen rumors that the Manchester clubs are both after Saint Etienne 18 year old CB Kurt Zouma in the upcoming window. I've been disappointed that I haven't seen him play the couple of times I've seen ASSE play so far this season, but he's a physical beast and he's capable of some jaw dropping stuff in defense and attacking in the air on set pieces.

A lesser known player in Ligue 1 that I think will go on to bigger things is 19 year old Lille LB Lucas Digne. He looks very comfortable defending and going forward when I've seen him, and since quality LBs are always at such a premium, he'll probably be moving onto a bigger club and/or league before too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

mynameisjohn posted:

the french have the best team so i expect them to win.

I watched their game against Uzbekistan yesterday, it really is a stacked team, almost the entire squad consists of players getting regular first team minutes in France/Spain/Italy.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
The NextGen series for 2013-14 has been cancelled due to "funding issues", but they apparently have a sponsor lined up for the following season and it will resume then.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2395446/NextGen-Series-suspended-season-failing-secure-funding.html

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
The Toulon Tournament final is on right now, France vs. Brazil. It's been sloppy but entertaining through the first 10 minutes, 1-1 already, including a shocking dive by Bahebeck up against Marquinhos to get a penalty.

Also one of the strikers on Brazil's bench is named Mosquito, which is a great name imo.

E: phwoar what a strike by Bahebeck

• Locked thread