Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

metasynthetic posted:

Sure, I'll get right on that.

I've been to Hell and back, and back to Hell, and back.

It's quite a nice place now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Ok, trying this again. We got four people on right now getting a level 1 game going. If anyone else wants in hop on my TS linked and join in.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

So how do I actually upgrade my hull? I have like 5000 credits and a lot of full slots. I can't seem to figure it out though.

Edit: I am dumb, and read the OP again. Command command command. I see now.

Edit2: I accidentally got an economic win in my first sector by doing quests. Hooray?

From what I've seen so far, fringe seems like a pretty safe starting ship. Good bonuses for putting points into tactical (equip sweet weapons), engineering (keep your sweet weapons powered), and a power plant is a pretty useful bonus slot, what with being heavy.

Definitely don't start dropping points directly into command at the start. Get some tactical, engineering, and helm so you can equip sweet weapons, better thrusters, and better power generation.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 7, 2012

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
I think my galaxy is bugged. It started with 5 races and I allied with one and killed the others off but it's telling me there's still an unknown race. I've got 8 sectors out and can't find any trace of another race, and the one I'm allied with hasn't found any either.

Do I just need to grind out an economic win at this point or force a restart? Or am I missing something?

e: there they are. Random colony of Utopians like 10 sectors from the starting area. Weird.

Good Citizen fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 7, 2012

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Filthy Monkey posted:

Definitely don't start dropping points directly into command at the start. Get some tactical, engineering, and helm so you can equip sweet weapons, better thrusters, and better power generation.

I think it's worth getting 11 command points for the second ship upgrade fairly early.

That gives an extra yellow & green slot.

The first extra red slot doesn't unlock until 26 command points, so that can wait a while.

edit: couple pieces of nice loot I've found for my level 24 Drakk ship.

Largepotato fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Dec 8, 2012

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I've been playing quite a bit. It gets more interesting once you figure the game out. I've completed the first three challenges now.

Energy becomes a pretty big issue. I tend to like ballistic weapons more than energy weapons, as they do more damage per point of energy spent. Laser weapons may be instant, but they cost more to fire and do less damage at long distance.

I've been using two railguns as my weapons. I am starting to move to magnetic accelerator cannons now though. I find two heavy weapons are good enough at draining my energy store that I don't need to think about more weapon slots. I still end up sucking down a lot of energy and shield regen surges. Those things are basically your health potions. Once you get established with cash, you'll find yourself buying them 20 at a time.

Largepotato posted:

I think it's worth getting 11 command points for the second ship upgrade fairly early.

That gives an extra yellow & green slot.

The first extra red slot doesn't unlock until 26 command points, so that can wait a while.

edit: couple pieces of nice loot I've found for my level 24 Drakk ship.
Yeah, 11 isn't too bad for the extra medium and light slots. Even then, I would probably at get tactical and engineering into the mid-teens first. 26 is where I am now though.

I've been going with an all-shield, no-structure thing which is doing okay. Two shields and a +45% shield recharger works okay, plus I can snack on shield surges in really hairy battles.

Not sure what I should go for next. Maybe more electronics to upgrade my computers. I am using two supercomputers, which are roughly +100 def, +200 attack each.

I probably have a little too much helm for my current hull size, as I fly around at 200 speed with my ramjet V, but it should be fine one I upgrade command for more slots. There is still definite benefit to more thrust beyond 200 max speed though. You can see it in particular when you are turning. You can make much tighter, snappier turns and get up to top speed more quickly when you have excess thrust.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Dec 8, 2012

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Here's my ship at the moment.

I use a bomb and my 7 bees to kill groups of monsters. I swap the bomb for a 52 dps railgun when fighting a race.

Probably going to swap out the energy regen green part and just rely on energy spikes.

Just replaced the energy regen with a battery backup. Will look for something else too.

Also this quest.

edit: Just got the terraform Hell quest.

Largepotato fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Dec 8, 2012

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
The brawl over Ara & Polis between Humans & Drakk.

My Human allies might be down to their last planet, but they aren't going without a fight! :black101:

edit: They got up to 30 ships briefly.

Largepotato fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Dec 8, 2012

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Has anyone tried modifying the names lists in assets.zip? Even in a medium sized system I'm already getting lots of repeat planet names, I'm wondering what will happen when I just add more to the bottom of the list.

The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat
This game is pretty fun. Does anybody know just how big a ship you can get? I'm assuming you can get max component slots (10 each)?

What stats do you guys focus on or do you raise stats fairly evenly? Anybody found any secrets yet?

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I have to admit, I was a bit turned off by the UI. Mainly the colors but the 90's bubble button look didn't either. Fortunately the game itself isn't an eyesore and actually looks pretty good. The demo is a lot of fun though, I really enjoyed just wandering around and seeing what I could do.

I wish it was on Steam though, it doesn't look like it's even on Greenlight. How is the post-release support for their other games?

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

The Donut posted:

This game is pretty fun. Does anybody know just how big a ship you can get? I'm assuming you can get max component slots (10 each)?

What stats do you guys focus on or do you raise stats fairly evenly? Anybody found any secrets yet?

I'm not sure if this counts as a secret or not, but in my last game one of the named monsters successfully conquered a planet and became a new "player" race called the Talon.

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009

Tagichatn posted:

I have to admit, I was a bit turned off by the UI. Mainly the colors but the 90's bubble button look didn't either. Fortunately the game itself isn't an eyesore and actually looks pretty good. The demo is a lot of fun though, I really enjoyed just wandering around and seeing what I could do.

I wish it was on Steam though, it doesn't look like it's even on Greenlight. How is the post-release support for their other games?

On the official forums he said he was working on contacting steam and seeing if he had to go through greenlight or not.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Tagichatn posted:

Din's and Depths of Peril were both well supported, Din's even got an expansion that added a lot of content and some new gameplay concepts. So in short, the odds are good that Drox will also be.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I've been playing this a lot, and it is reasonably fun. One thing I would like to see is the ability to buy starlane locations like you can with jumpgates. I spent entirely too long looking around for one missing connecting starlane to let me finish off the talon. Eventually ended up getting a terror win.

One component which helps a lot is this harvester.

I just got it with the win, and I hadn't seen one before. Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough. I think this is the thing which might make beams more viable.

Ship is currently looking like this.

The weapons are both 61 dps cheap magnetic accelerator cannon II. They do a pretty good job against most things. The occasional fast enemy, like the ones that do missile runs, are irritating though. I am pretty happy with my choice of the fringe ship though. The race specific heavy power slot is pretty useful for most sort of setups I imagine.

Next five points will probably go into helm, as I have a reasonably good heavy drive waiting.

You can often find medium slot thrusters with just as much thrust power If not slightly more) than a heavy slot drive, but the advantage of a heavy drive is that it doesn't consume any power. Medium slot thrusters often suck down a fair bit of juice on their own.

I do sometimes want for weapons which are faster at taking down planets though. Most planets go down reasonably fast, but the huge oness can sometimes take couple minutes of pounding, which is a little tiresome. Are there weapons which are specifically well suited for planet busting?

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Dec 9, 2012

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
The 10 race challenge is starting to get plain silly now.

Picture doesn't even include the Brunt and Hive that were already eliminated.

The Drakk had a novel solution for sector overcrowding.

It worked perfectly! The Drakk were eliminated.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel
One thing I'd really like to see improved in the game is the Crew aspect. Not crew points (basically renamed character points and could be called 'ship points' for all the effect it would have) but the light component items. You can see he's tried to make them a little bit different from other components by giving them a name, letting them level up, having them lose happiness gradually and needing to be paid occasionally. I'd much prefer it if crew were an entirely separate type of item, and much more common and with more flavour - like a mini RPG meta game inside the ARPG game itself.

Maybe if each component of your ship needed a crew member to station it, and there was a new interface window where you moved crew around to assign them to different areas of the ship. You could have features like hiring them from planets, having them gain skill in using a specific type of component, deploy them sometimes on away missions, the possibility of a crew member being injured when you're critically hit or your structure is damaged. I'm imagining them as a kind of weaker version of leaders/governors/captains from MOO and other space 4Xs. Having more crew members would be a good moneysink too, which I think Drox really needs.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Tufty posted:

Maybe if each component of your ship needed a crew member to station it... the possibility of a crew member being injured when you're critically hit or your structure is damaged.
This kind of already happens. When you take a critical hit to structure it's possible for your invisible primary crew to be critically wounded or killed, crippling a function of your ship until you get back to a planet to heal.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is it usually this hard to get an alliance out of a race? I have the Cortex maxed out for relations, but they shoot down every chance at an alliance.

It wouldn't be so bad if they weren't the only race I have found so far. I am tempted bail on this game since it is the first one on the ship (I did so for others, but I was still getting used to the game then).

Also, the thing I hate the most in this game is quests where they go "Hey, go kill, capture, or colonize this. It is in a galaxy you have not been in. No, we will not tell you how to get there."

EDIT: Though I suppose that is more of a descendant of "Get to this floor right now".

EDIT2: Ohhh...I need to get a non-aggression pact first, then go from there in increasing treaty levels. If it was made clear somewhere, I obviously had missed it, though it makes sense.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Dec 9, 2012

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Unlucky7 posted:

Also, the thing I hate the most in this game is quests where they go "Hey, go kill, capture, or colonize this. It is in a galaxy you have not been in. No, we will not tell you how to get there."

EDIT: Though I suppose that is more of a descendant of "Get to this floor right now".

This is what threw me for awhile as well. The whole "Starlanes" vs "Stargates" distinction was apparently lost on me at first and I got into the habit of avoiding missions that I couldn't find the way to. When I finally got around to trying out the starlanes I felt really stupid for not having figured it out sooner.

I never noticed the alliance before as I was always pushing for the next level as soon as I could. Good to know though.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Unlucky7 posted:

Is it usually this hard to get an alliance out of a race? I have the Cortex maxed out for relations, but they shoot down every chance at an alliance.

It wouldn't be so bad if they weren't the only race I have found so far. I am tempted bail on this game since it is the first one on the ship (I did so for others, but I was still getting used to the game then).

EDIT2: Ohhh...I need to get a non-aggression pact first, then go from there in increasing treaty levels. If it was made clear somewhere, I obviously had missed it, though it makes sense.

I find it much easier to get to alliance levels in galaxies that have already developed a little. If you set the galaxy so that each race only has one planet to start, it seems to take forever. In my last game I just traded more with a specific race than others, and declared war on their enemy right after they did, and after killing a few enemy ships everyone else in the galaxy was throwing alliance requests at me.

Also, don't worry about accepting quests too much. You can complete quests without accepting them first. At most I'll scan for easy ones on the quest list if I'm really looking to focus on one race. Other than that I'll just keep an eye out for quest items when I'm selling/repairing and I'll look to see if I've completed any quests when checking the relations menu.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Good Citizen posted:

I find it much easier to get to alliance levels in galaxies that have already developed a little. If you set the galaxy so that each race only has one planet to start, it seems to take forever. In my last game I just traded more with a specific race than others, and declared war on their enemy right after they did, and after killing a few enemy ships everyone else in the galaxy was throwing alliance requests at me.

Also, don't worry about accepting quests too much. You can complete quests without accepting them first. At most I'll scan for easy ones on the quest list if I'm really looking to focus on one race. Other than that I'll just keep an eye out for quest items when I'm selling/repairing and I'll look to see if I've completed any quests when checking the relations menu.

Another thing, at least early on, Quests give a lot less of a relation boost than aiding besieged planets. A quest might give around 2 points or so, but every ship you kill that is attacking a colony will give you about a half point each. Once the starting races start expanding, and the marauding species start getting more active, colonies will be coming under attack almost constantly if they are on the fringe, so all you need to do is take a swing around a system and you can usually help out for a few easy points.

This game reminds me so much of Armada on the Dreamcast.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

One good reason to do quests is cash and experience though. Most equipment doesn't actually sell for all that much.

But yeah, defending planets gets you reputation faster than questing, there is no doubt about that. With that in mind is actually pretty hard to lose a system. Get on the good side of the strongest guy and go pick on his enemies.

I am still trying to figure out which weapons I like the most. I've tried ballistic weapons, beam weapons, viruses, and a bunch of random medium slot weapons. I haven't really given bombs, missiles, or hangers their fair shot yet though. Be curious to hear what people think of those.

Beams are definitely better at taking out random nobodies than ballistics, but when it comes to the hard targets ballistics easily win. Sporting double helical railguns right now.

My favorite medium weapon I've found is this.

It creates a big storm with you at the center which does damage over time to any enemies inside it.

The hardest enemies I constantly fight seem to be bounty hunters, and the occasional quest related rare spawn. I can kill them alright, but they do crazy damage to me at the same time. It could be my structureless setup coming back to bite me in the rear end.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 9, 2012

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Double hangars (or swapping two) and a virus is my favorite combo for attacking planets. Orbit at a distance letting your minions get in the damage while stacking viruses on everyone you can. Some of this may be because I keep finding hangars with ships 5 to 10 levels above my mothership's level.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Man, I'm... really shallow. I got really excited about Din's Curse reading up on it. It sounded great, with an interesting class and quest system. So I downloaded the demo, started it up, and got sad.

Not cause of the graphics, but because cloth isn't actually a robe! IT SAYS IT'S A ROBE RIGHT THERE ON THE SCREEN CMON

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009

Grondoth posted:

Man, I'm... really shallow. I got really excited about Din's Curse reading up on it. It sounded great, with an interesting class and quest system. So I downloaded the demo, started it up, and got sad.

Not cause of the graphics, but because cloth isn't actually a robe! IT SAYS IT'S A ROBE RIGHT THERE ON THE SCREEN CMON

Haha yeah I found that weird too. Robes just mean a different color shirt apparently.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Filthy Monkey posted:

I am still trying to figure out which weapons I like the most. I've tried ballistic weapons, beam weapons, viruses, and a bunch of random medium slot weapons. I haven't really given bombs, missiles, or hangers their fair shot yet though. Be curious to hear what people think of those.

My highest ship is still only level 26, but so far I've found bombs are easily the best normal weapon for taking out groups of monsters. They act like an explosive rail gun, so just point where you want the bomb to explode and fire away.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I'll have to give bombs a shot. I tried missiles, and while pretty cool, they are again big energy hogs. Missing or getting it shot down means a lot of spent energy without any benefit. They do make for big numbers though.

Hangers are actually pretty fun, and seem more usable. It is fun rolling around with your own tiny fleet.

I am about to lose my first system, I think. Level 37 myself, doing the level 36 'everybody is at war' challenge. I've been picking on the weaker races, but I've been having a lot of bounty hunters sent after me. Equal level bounty hunters are starting to hit ridiculously hard. Like, a single beam will hit me for half my shields. All the dying has kicked in the economic loss counter, and I don't think I can get it back on track.

It is weird, I can merrily take on small race fleets on my own, but as soon as they call a single bounty hunter I have to poo poo myself. I do reasonably good damage to the bounty hunters, it is just that they hit SO HARD. It makes me wonder if I am doing something wrong.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

I just got this game the other day after trying the demo and it's pretty fun.

Does anyone know if the technology that you can trade carries over to new games?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I don't think the technology does, no.

I mostly use techs as cheap bargaining chips. I'll sell them for cash to my allies, or trade them for discounts on gate locations.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Filthy Monkey posted:

I don't think the technology does, no.

I mostly use techs as cheap bargaining chips. I'll sell them for cash to my allies, or trade them for discounts on gate locations.

Cool, thanks. I didn't even realize until recently that you could right click on them to make them do something. I just kept stockpiling a bunch and was wondering why no one was asking for them (thought they were a quest item), but they sold for 0 at the traders.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

:stonk:

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour

Filthy Monkey posted:

I'll have to give bombs a shot. I tried missiles, and while pretty cool, they are again big energy hogs. Missing or getting it shot down means a lot of spent energy without any benefit. They do make for big numbers though.

Hangers are actually pretty fun, and seem more usable. It is fun rolling around with your own tiny fleet.

I am about to lose my first system, I think. Level 37 myself, doing the level 36 'everybody is at war' challenge. I've been picking on the weaker races, but I've been having a lot of bounty hunters sent after me. Equal level bounty hunters are starting to hit ridiculously hard. Like, a single beam will hit me for half my shields. All the dying has kicked in the economic loss counter, and I don't think I can get it back on track.

It is weird, I can merrily take on small race fleets on my own, but as soon as they call a single bounty hunter I have to poo poo myself. I do reasonably good damage to the bounty hunters, it is just that they hit SO HARD. It makes me wonder if I am doing something wrong.

no, I think they accidentally added an extra 0 somewhere as far as bounty hunters are concerned. I was pushed into an economic loss after one three-shot me, followed me two jumps over to to my respawn system, and killed me over and over. The thing was ridiculously fast too.

As far as weapon goes, your options are bombs, high level fighters, and pretty much nothing else. Soldak have been tooling around with weapon balance every single patch and even after nerfing bombs two or three times they're still the only feasible weapon.

I am using a neutron pulse generator I chanced across though. It's midslot weapon which generates a massive AoE damage cloud for a few seconds, and costs no energy, but has a 30sec reload. It's really useful for wiping out planets and their defense fleets in one go.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Small writeup on the monster types I consider the most dangerous.

Tornado - 3rd Talon type that will suicide bomb if given a chance.

Acanth - 4th Overlord type that drops mines. Harmless if distance is kept, but those mine clusters can wreck your day.

Schism - 5th Legion type that's currently fairly harmless. It appears their bombs are currently bugged and never blow up. Fix that and they will be deadly.

Limax - 10th Overlord type that shoots a triple 30 second dot. Will badly damage fighters.

Quake - 10th Talon type that shoots radiation bombs. These assholes will wreck your fighters' day. Can get under your guard as most are small in size.

I came across a seemingly impossible Quake boss. I had been trying to take it with my bees and that turned out to be the worst plan possible.

Its radiation bombs would shred my bees and when each died, it would gain the Well Fed bonus.

Giving him 7 bees to feast on was bad. :gonk:

Finally killed it easily when I went after it with only a single bomber in tow.

edit: Doing the Brunt & Fringe at war challenge and Legion joined the party.

They are starting to get a bit ridiculous.

Largepotato fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 10, 2012

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
Holy god are the Dryad annoying. Every game I have played with them in the mix, they end up with an alliance with every other faction. I have no idea how they do this when their allies are all at each other's throats, but they do. Actually killing them becomes a pain in the rear end because doing so will piss everyone else off, and attacking or aiding any of the other races in the big space group-hug has a similar effect.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Underwhelmed posted:

Holy god are the Dryad annoying. Every game I have played with them in the mix, they end up with an alliance with every other faction. I have no idea how they do this when their allies are all at each other's throats, but they do. Actually killing them becomes a pain in the rear end because doing so will piss everyone else off, and attacking or aiding any of the other races in the big space group-hug has a similar effect.

Something similar in my last game happened. The Lithosoid ended up allying with the Drakk and the Hive, but the Hive was in war with the Drakk. I was also allied to the Drakk and Lithosoid, but once I declared war on the Hive, the Lithosoid started attacking me. I called a cease fire with them once I took out a few ships, but they refused to help out against the Hive, despite being allied with me and the Drakk. I couldn't get them to change their position at all and ended up just getting a fear win.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I just finished my first game of Drox Operative and it's a pretty amazing game so far, having a whale of a time. The only races of note were the Cortex and the Lithosoid, who between them wiped out everyone else. I started in the Lithosoid home system so I was friends with them first, but after they turned on the poor little Hive for no good reason I went against them and ended up helping the Cortex to take the sector.

Dropping into the rear of the Litho empire via gates to wreak havoc before bugging out was wonderful. More games need to allow guerrilla warfare.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
BEES!

:black101:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Filthy Monkey posted:

Energy becomes a pretty big issue. I tend to like ballistic weapons more than energy weapons, as they do more damage per point of energy spent. Laser weapons may be instant, but they cost more to fire and do less damage at long distance.

With a decent amount of thrust, you can kite enemy Escort ships pretty easily with ballistic weapons, too. You hit 95% of your shots when they are following you in a straight line. Sometimes I orbit around a planet and shoot at it while the enemy ships follow me in that circle and can't hit me when I want to kill someone off fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Moridin920 posted:

With a decent amount of thrust, you can kite enemy Escort ships pretty easily with ballistic weapons, too. You hit 95% of your shots when they are following you in a straight line. Sometimes I orbit around a planet and shoot at it while the enemy ships follow me in that circle and can't hit me when I want to kill someone off fast.

Mines though? Not so much. It seemed like they were a win button early on, but everything veers away from them now. If you have a cluster of ships that you can plow through and drop it on great, but otherwise enemies seem smart enough to avoid them most of the time. Sort of makes the human ship worthless. I gotta say that I think the Fringe ship might be the best choice in the early game at least, since it essentially gives you an extra heavy slot (one of their race slots is for a reactor, which I don't think any build would not have at least one of)

I have grown to like missiles. They do a lot of burst damage even if their overall DPS doesn't show it. I use whatever direct fire weapon I have on close targets, and in between shots lob a missile out at more distant ones. EMPs are an almost must have for scrubbing fighters and missiles.

• Locked thread