Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Gods from various mythologies (or Demons from Megaten games, same thing)

The thread does allow for blaming gods...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Pladdicus posted:

What happened to the old thread? Burn out? it got as far as I generally do in FFT before I get bored of the fights :(

Mostly, yeah. I ran out of enthusiasm for it, my class load got bigger, and ePSXe kept crashing on me so I finally gave up on it. I haven't had time to do an LP since, what with being busy posting about sports. :v:

Also I'd like to nth members of Bone Thugs N Harmony.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
In the spirit of previous FFT threads, I'm going to suggest naming everyone dates, or more specifically, July 15. :sun:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

theblastizard posted:

Mega Man 1 Robot Masters

Ramza is blue, Megaman is blue. Not a coincidence.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The cast of Disgaea, to represent the fact that we are playing a ridiculously unbalanced SRPG.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.

Endorph posted:

The cast of Disgaea, to represent the fact that we are playing a ridiculously unbalanced SRPG.

Also voting for this.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I don't really have much to say except that even 1.3 Content is tougher than I was ready for simply because all the classes are improved so much. You can't take anything for granted.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Thwack! posted:

Members of Bone Thugs-N-Harmony.

Members of the Wu Tang Clan :colbert:

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
Four members?
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Anyone know how FFT 1.3 Content stacks up against LFT?

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I haven't played 1.3 in a while. Did they ever nerf Dancers? I remember actually beating 1.3 a few years ago solely because of how overpowered Nameless Dance was. It completely nullified any battle that wasn't immune to status effects. Bosses were still hard as poo poo and required dozens of restarts, but regular battles were so easy that I actually felt I was somehow cheating the system.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Cardboard Fox posted:

I haven't played 1.3 in a while. Did they ever nerf Dancers? I remember actually beating 1.3 a few years ago solely because of how overpowered Nameless Dance was. It completely nullified any battle that wasn't immune to status effects. Bosses were still hard as poo poo and required dozens of restarts, but regular battles were so easy that I actually felt I was somehow cheating the system.

My own game-breaking strategy was to have a high HP character with Half of MP and move-MP UP cast Golem all the time, which for some strange reason causes the AI to derp the hell out and play really stupidly (the AI hates the fact that you have Golem so much that they will run mages right into your army to smack at it). I think Golem has been removed since then, however.

Dancers do well on some maps, but will have serious issues on maps where the enemy team can reach them easily.

sudonim posted:

Four members?
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Anyone know how FFT 1.3 Content stacks up against LFT?

1.3 is the better patch all-around, for sure. Much, much more content and better balance.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Members of the Wu Tang Clan :colbert:

Second theMembers of the Wu Tang Clan. :colbert:

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
I think Shakespeare characters would be the least annoying to read over time.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

meatbag posted:

I can dig it. This or Dead Poets.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

meatbag posted:

Gonna vote for this - although I'd like some of the slightly more obscure / support characters is at all possible.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

PotatoManJack posted:

Gonna vote for [Shakespeare characters too]- although I'd like some of the slightly more obscure / support characters is at all possible.

This'll do for me. Non-main Shakespeare characters.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Sorites posted:

So, like, instead of King Lear, use Regan, or more like instead of Claudio, use Abhorson? How obscure do we go?

I would love to see an Abhorson, because that's a fantastic name. Give him an axe.

edit: Everyone welcome Second Goth to the team!

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012

Sorites posted:

This is a good idea and I'm backing it.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008
Here I was expecting four variations on "Dongs" and you guys give me Shakespeare. I'm impressed.

Update to be posted shortly.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008
Episode 2: Mandalia Plains

Welcome back. For Chapter 1, our hero Prufrock will be joined by assorted characters from some of William Shakespeare's best comedies.

First up is Orlando, the male love interest from As You Like It and definitely not a thunder god of any sort.

Next is Katherine, the titular "shrew" of The Taming of the Shrew. I decided to go with her nickname Katerina for no particular reason.

Joining us from Twelfth Knight is Viola, who, true to source material, will be sometimes swapping between male and female sprites.

And last, but certainly not least, is the lovable buffoon Sir John Falstaff, who first appeared in both Henry IVs, but was so popular among theater-goers that Shakespeare brought him back for The Merry Wives of Windsor

Before we can head out to Igros castle, it's time for yet another flashback.

This time, we witness the death of Lord Balbanes, patriarch of House Beoulve.

For those keeping count, this is a flashback in a flashback in a flashback. I'm not sure we can go any deeper.

Anyway, Balbanes gives young Prufrock some inspirational last words before expiring, leaving the Beoulve dynasty in the hands of his eldest son, Dycedarg.

Of couse no trip is uneventful in RPG-land. While crossing the Mandalia Plains we come upon this unfortunate chap, who seems to have gotten himself into a spot of trouble.

Blame yourself, blame God, blame fate...there's a lot of buck-passing going around.

We're presented with a choice. We could try to save the guy, but rescue is for sissies. Prufrock chooses to murder the poo poo out of the Death Corps instead. :black101:

(Note that choices like this are the only way to permanently increase Brave in 1.3)

This fight is pretty much unchanged from vanilla. Just a Thief, a few Squires, and a...

...why hello there, Mr. Tonberry!

Tonberrys are one of two Final Fantasy staple monsters added in 1.3, the other being Cactuars.

Have a look at the little guy's abilities. Chef's Knight has a chance of instant K.O., Everyone's Grudge does damage equal to lost HP, and Voodoo adds Slow and Poison with a high rate of success. Not bad.

Anyway, hope you like Throw Stone, because it's going to come up about as often here as it did in Gariland!

The unlucky stranger gets a turn in pretty quick.

Algus's Basic Skill now includes a limited number of Knight skills.

Like other Squires, he can equip crossbows (no foreshadowing here).

More rock tossing. Sick of it yet?

Prufrock gets the first K.O. pretty much exactly how you'd expect.

And Orlando immediately follows with a second. Quite quickly, we've forced the enemy onto the defensive.

Voodoo has a pretty cool animation.

Like Haste, the Slow status is very strong in 1.3, where even a single missed turn can turn the tide of battle. Poison here is something of an afterthought.

Remember sandbagging? Here's the animation for Wish, which is now part of the generic Basic Skill set.

They line 'em up, we knock 'em down.

Mr. Tonberry connects with Voodoo on the second try, but it's too little, too late.

Falstaff gets in on that stone throwing K.O. action.

Had this happened earlier, it could have spelled disaster. Charm is a contender for "most powerful status effect". I'm sure it'll wreck my poo poo sometime down the line.

But not today. A quick Pebble Lob sets Katerina straight.

More murder!

You can still target spaces behind units in order to get some close-quarters crossbow shots it.

With all but the enemy Tonberry bleeding out on the ground, I take the opportunity to snag a couple of crystals.

If you're playing 1.3 without a save editor, gaining abilities from crystals is vital, as it lets you learn new skills without gaining levels (which, remember, is a good thing due to enemy scaling).

Finally, Prufrock finishes the fight.

Time to collect our loot. Nothing new from vanilla, I'm afraid.

Seems the Marquis has been noble-napped.

I'm sure the Hokuten are dealing with it.

---

For next time: We can start branching out across the job tree a bit. This means we'll need to pick an intial direction for Prufrock. So...

Which path should Prufrock follow?

(A) That of the proud and mighty warrior
-or-
(B) That of the wise and powerful mage

J. Alfred Prufrock fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 14, 2013

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Mage, everyone knows Prufrock loves him some pointy hats. Also here's hoping this one doesn't collapse in on itself like the last one. Didn't the enemies end up having chapter 4 equipment before the first time the LPer reached Lionel?

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

TARDISman posted:

Mage, everyone knows Prufrock loves him some pointy hats. Also here's hoping this one doesn't collapse in on itself like the last one. Didn't the enemies end up having chapter 4 equipment before the first time the LPer reached Lionel?

Warrior mage... er, geomancer!

If you're really patient and abuse sleep abilities to farm crystals, you barely need to grind out JP. Get lucky on the mages crystalizing at Dorter and you can get the first ~2-3 black mage spells right away which makes everything much easier.

As for enemy leveling, I'm usually around 12 at the end of Ch1 and 25 at the end of Ch2. I've even tried grinding straight to 99 in Ch1, which actually makes the game easier in some ways, provided you steal gear to keep up.

Corvinus fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 4, 2012

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
Every single one of my FFT playthroughs will always involve Ramza going towards the physical, sword(s)-wielding or fist-fighting path. I think a magic oriented Ramza that doesn't involve going Bushido would be neat to see.

McGwee
May 1, 2012

Thwack! posted:

Every single one of my FFT playthroughs will always involve Ramza going towards the physical, sword(s)-wielding or fist-fighting path. I think a magic oriented Ramza that doesn't involve going Bushido would be neat to see.

I like this idea. I've always used Ramza as a monk in all of my playthroughs but I know he makes just as good a mage as a female, so I'd like to see that.

Does he still have female magic growth?

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
A name like Prufrock is all about macho muscle flexing and hitting stuff with big swords.

WARRIOR

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Whoa, I definitely did not play a version that had Tonberries or Cactuars. That's really cool; should probably pick up Content to see what's new.

Tonberries look like they'll be terrifying at high levels; look at that massive base HP coupled with both Meatbone Slash and Everyone's Grudge. They seem pretty weak to being ignored and kept at a distance, though; Voodoo doesn't seem so great.

My vote goes to whatever the hell he needs to be for a specific map.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Ramza's sorcery shall be known throughout the land!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

PotatoManJack posted:

A name like Prufrock is all about macho muscle flexing and hitting stuff with big swords.

Really? I thought he was kind of a weedy guy. Maybe a summoner. Go Magic

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

McGwee posted:

I like this idea. I've always used Ramza as a monk in all of my playthroughs but I know he makes just as good a mage as a female, so I'd like to see that.

Does he still have female magic growth?
I believe Ramza still has male PA growth and female MA growth, so he can go either way easy.

My vote is Mage for Prufrock.

It's nice to see you cranking out updates rather quickly, Prufrock. ^^

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Mime.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Samurai w/ geomancy secondary.

e: that's something like a warrior moonlighting as a mage.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Dec 4, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Yer a wizard, Prufrock!

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
Mage

Can't wait for the real bullshit to start!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

"Mage" is such a wussy word. You wanna be a wuss? Be a MAN! Go Warrior!

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Mage, as I feel it makes gameplay a little more interesting for the forced solo fights.

Of course, this is 1.3, so "interesting" in this is probably closer to "having a death wish" but I'm not the LPer so I reap all the fun and none of the suffering.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Magic

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011
I always made my Ramza into a chemist. It just felt right.

I don't know what option that is...

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

James Totes posted:

I always made my Ramza into a chemist. It just felt right.

I don't know what option that is...

Chemist with a summon/magic gun is a mage, right?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Chemist is the start of the mage class branch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Irish Gal
Jul 8, 2012

Your existence amounts to nothing more than a goldfish swimming upriver.

PS: We are all actually cats

J. Alfred Prufrock posted:

Blame yourself, blame God, blame fate...there's a lot of buck-passing going around.

Surrounded by the stench of mendacity, I say!

I vote for mage.

• Locked thread