Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

skoolmunkee posted:

I am really wanting to play this game, but after like 10 minutes of gameplay the screen is having some problem where it no longer refreshes all of the image. I can't take a screenshot of it, basically only a central square of the screen will update, which cuts off a lot of dialogue and clicking (the mouse usually disappears in the un-refreshed areas). Sometimes when the scene changes the whole thing will refresh, but not always. It does seem to get worse the longer I play, but I didn't really have much patience for that after saving and quitting three or four times to try and play the game unobstructed. I'm pretty uninformed about how to troubleshoot this kind of thing, I did see some kind of vsync option in the esc menu, but I dunno what that is and changing the numbers around din't seem to do anything. Any other ideas? I am playing through Steam and there doesn't seem to be any updates I need to get or anything.
Did you check the file integrity? I would assume that KRZ isn't very graphically demanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Accordion Man posted:

Did you check the file integrity? I would assume that KRZ isn't very graphically demanding.

I looked up how to do that and just tried it. That doesn't seem to help unfortunately. In fact as soon as I went to the map, I got this:

Sorry it's a phone pic, but prntscrn doesn't seem to work inside the game. But you can see how it gets some weird layers and text gets all cut off. The game WILL display normally, filling the screen etc. but most of the time not... and if it does, the whole screen won't refresh.

It would help if the problem I'm having has a name? That would help me look it up. Sorry, I don't really know anything about PC game problems, I'm an xbox person mostly.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

skoolmunkee posted:

I looked up how to do that and just tried it. That doesn't seem to help unfortunately. In fact as soon as I went to the map, I got this:

Sorry it's a phone pic, but prntscrn doesn't seem to work inside the game. But you can see how it gets some weird layers and text gets all cut off. The game WILL display normally, filling the screen etc. but most of the time not... and if it does, the whole screen won't refresh.

It would help if the problem I'm having has a name? That would help me look it up. Sorry, I don't really know anything about PC game problems, I'm an xbox person mostly.

Not sure what you'd call that, but the picture is worth a thousand words. I would contact the developer, and send them that pic. They're on Twitter, @cardboardcompy, or email them at cardboardcomputer@gmail.com.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

OK thanks, I will do that. :]

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

skoolmunkee posted:

I am really wanting to play this game, but after like 10 minutes of gameplay the screen is having some problem where it no longer refreshes all of the image. I can't take a screenshot of it, basically only a central square of the screen will update, which cuts off a lot of dialogue and clicking (the mouse usually disappears in the un-refreshed areas). Sometimes when the scene changes the whole thing will refresh, but not always. It does seem to get worse the longer I play, but I didn't really have much patience for that after saving and quitting three or four times to try and play the game unobstructed. I'm pretty uninformed about how to troubleshoot this kind of thing, I did see some kind of vsync option in the esc menu, but I dunno what that is and changing the numbers around din't seem to do anything. Any other ideas? I am playing through Steam and there doesn't seem to be any updates I need to get or anything.

I don't know if any of this applies to you, but here's some possibly relevant bits from the game's readme file:

README.txt posted:

- 1920x1080 is about the upper limit we recommend for screen
resolution. Some displays, such as Apple's "retina" displays, are
much higher resolution. We recommend lowering your resolution in the
game's pause menu, to ensure the text and icons are legible.

- There is an issue with multiple monitors on the Mac (possibly on
Windows as well, but we haven't seen it there), that can sometimes
prevent the game from running. For the time being, if you encounter
this error please unplug or disable your second monitor. Sorry!

- If you're having issues with the game trying to run at a resolution
your monitor can't actually support, try editing the file
"settings.krz" which you'll find in your
"Documents/KentuckyRouteZero" folder. You can open "settings.krz" In
notepad or TextEdit. Change the values specified for
"screenResolutionX" and "screenResolutionY" to something you know
your computer supports.

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I got this game even though it didn't win the flash sale because it was so highly recommended in the steam sale thread and I'm absolutely floored about it. I want the third act now :smith:

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

K:RZ is the daily deal on Steam at 50% off if anyone wants to nab it.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mira posted:

K:RZ is the daily deal on Steam at 50% off if anyone wants to nab it.

Good to see steam make up for the most dishonorable Community Choice deal.

Anyone know of an ETA on act 3?

E: Oh look who is sitting at the top of the sales list.

frank.club fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 23, 2013

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
Just finished Act II. As a student of the arts I really appreciated the Magritte style perspective in the forest.

This game sort of feels like what would happen if David Lynch made a game.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

I copied my original save and started playing through again to catch up on things that I missed, and boy I missed quite a bit. Also had a few moments where I went, "Oh, poo poo that's a large bit of significance that I didn't pick up on originally." This game has so much goodness in it.

Cardboard Computer said on Twitter three days ago that Act III will be "a few months" away. It's going to be so hard to wait.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

I finished Act II last night. I don't think I've ever been as engaged by a game as I am this one.

The music is incredible.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Once I got the game to work I played it through twice. The first time I was kind of impatient about slow walk animations, wheeling around the map, and stuff. The second time I "got" it more (maybe because I knew what was coming next) and enjoyed the slow pace.

I really do think this game is amazing. The tone, atmosphere, the different ways you can engage with the game (like the dog) and how the game lets you develop the characters. I even like the unclear narration line, mixing up who might respond or even giving control over to another person. Everything about this game touches on themes and things that I really like- the bizarre intruding on reality, unfinished stories, loneliness and personality.

I was trying to think of my favorite part from each episode so far but it's too hard. There were so many cool moments and interesting environments. I am really glad that they're making this game. :]

John Liver
May 4, 2009

I don't suppose anyone's heard news about this? 2013 is on the way out and we still only have two acts. :ohdear:

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

John Liver posted:

I don't suppose anyone's heard news about this? 2013 is on the way out and we still only have two acts. :ohdear:

According to their Twitter, they're working on it but are avoiding giving hard dates. They said "a few months" back in July, at least.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
With any luck maybe they're finished with the next chapter and working on the last two. Maybe it's taking a long time to add bears to various floors about the place.
I think chapter 2 was late and they gave a date for that, IIRC. Maybe they're trying to avoid that.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
I absolutely love this game. It's constantly building a sense of both tension and wonder, and subversively challenges point and click conventions while also fostering a strong identity of its own. It feels as though anything could happen at any moment, yet it never is too absurd or without meaning either. One of the games of 2013 that is pushing the boundaries of what gaming IS, I'm eagerly awaiting the next episodes.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
So - did anyone else find the underground spaces in chapter 2 overly disorienting? It reminded me a bit too much of the "twisty little passages all alike" from my text adventure days, which honestly I didn't miss all that much. This is something that bugged me a bit about chapter 1 as well - the reward is not just in following the plot but in exploration, but tracing all the roads/spaces gets to be tedious.

Still no word on a release date for chapter 3 - one of their tweets said that they wouldn't be releasing screenshots this time, saying it "bugged people last time" but with the delays, it may be nice to show that they have made some progress.

Perpetual
Sep 7, 2007

monster on a stick posted:

So - did anyone else find the underground spaces in chapter 2 overly disorienting? It reminded me a bit too much of the "twisty little passages all alike" from my text adventure days, which honestly I didn't miss all that much. This is something that bugged me a bit about chapter 1 as well - the reward is not just in following the plot but in exploration, but tracing all the roads/spaces gets to be tedious.

Still no word on a release date for chapter 3 - one of their tweets said that they wouldn't be releasing screenshots this time, saying it "bugged people last time" but with the delays, it may be nice to show that they have made some progress.

I liked it, but it's a fair comparison. Hell, if I remember correctly there was a stop in the Zero that was pretty much entirely "twisty little passages all alike". I assume it's what they were going for, and I kinda enjoyed it since it made it feel much more expansive and labyrinthine than it really was, which is a hard impression to capture nowadays with everyone being so familiar with how video games work.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
There's a new short game out from Cardboard Computer set in the KRZ world: The Entertainment. I haven't had a chance to play it yet but it looks interesting. It's also available in an Oculus Rift version for those lucky enough to have an OR dev kit. Still no world on the episode 3 release date.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr.Radar posted:

There's a new short game out from Cardboard Computer set in the KRZ world: The Entertainment. I haven't had a chance to play it yet but it looks interesting. It's also available in an Oculus Rift version for those lucky enough to have an OR dev kit. Still no world on the episode 3 release date.

drat, I saw this pop back up my bookmarks and thought Act 3 had been released. I want Act 3.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Honestly I've done very little exploration out of the main game and I still find it very rewarding. How much or how little your explore beyond the path is up to you.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Honestly I've done very little exploration out of the main game and I still find it very rewarding. How much or how little your explore beyond the path is up to you.

This is very true, though since we're still in the middle of a huge wait for Act III, I highly recommend taking the time to go back and explore everything. I did, and didn't regret it at all.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Didn't get the chance to finish The Entertainment (had to head out to see an actual play) but I'd highly recommend everybody check it out. The bit of it I played was really well-written and was pretty cool to see from the perspective of somebody who has worked backstage on plays before.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Mr.Radar posted:

I think I caught a few allusions to Death of a Salesman. I'll have to go back when I'm not exhausted and feverish.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

It's good to see that they actually directly responded to an accusation that they've simply cut-and-run. It was starting to feel like the Duke Nukem of Hazzard.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Nov 23, 2013

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Just finished The Entertainment, and holy poo poo, that was an ending. (spoilers) If this is what act 3 is gonna be like, they can take all the time they need.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

I didn't like The Entertainment as much as acts I and II of KRZ or Limits & Demonstrations, but I can see how it would be fantastic in Oculus.

NorthByNorthwest
Oct 9, 2012
The Entertainment was good. A little slow going, but Cardboard Computer really did their best in bringing the characters to life. It was neat to see references to the KRZ characters as well, it really ties the universe together.
Are the whisky truck boys the same one that Conway gets mistaken for at the start of Act 2? Do you think they'll be featured more?

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

NorthByNorthwest posted:

The Entertainment was good. A little slow going, but Cardboard Computer really did their best in bringing the characters to life. It was neat to see references to the KRZ characters as well, it really ties the universe together.
Are the whisky truck boys the same one that Conway gets mistaken for at the start of Act 2? Do you think they'll be featured more?

Yeah. And I'm pretty sure they're the ones who crashed the truck in Act I.

NorthByNorthwest
Oct 9, 2012

Lance Streetman posted:

Yeah. And I'm pretty sure they're the ones who crashed the truck in Act I.

:aaaaa:
I love how the universe gets tied together. Lula directing the set, and the other playwright being the script writer. There's so much small detail put into this game, I love it.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The ending actually freaked me out.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Acquire Currency! posted:

The ending actually freaked me out.

Same here. I'm thinking, "I think I know what they're going for but this is getting pretty boring but I'll stick it out because I'm sure there's a point to all of this. Maybe? Nope. Nothing's happening. Well, at least this tides me over a bit until Ac--hang on. Wait, what? What the hell? Oh, poo poo, this just got--:stonk: :stonk: :stonk:"

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Kentucky Route Zero just got RPS's Game of the Year award.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Acquire Currency! posted:

Kentucky Route Zero just got RPS's Game of the Year award.

Somehow I'd completely missed this game and the write up in RPS made me pick it up.

Twenty minutes in and I'm hooked.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
At first I was holding off to play this until all five acts, or at least more acts, had been released, but I decided to play through it today. Wow. Really incredible. That scene at the end of act two in particular was so gorgeous it took my breath away. I'm really looking forward to the rest of this game.

Hostile Rabbi
Jun 25, 2005

by Ralp
Someone posted a link to an article about the references KRZ makes to art, architecture, literature, etc. in the comments section of the recent RPS article. It's a pretty interesting read that shows how much craft Cardboard Computer are putting into these episodes.

Part 1 Part 2

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Got this during the latest Steam flash sale and it's not what I was expecting, but that's not a bad thing. I finished Act I and I'm going to take my time and replay it before I start II, now that I have some idea what's going on. The game is beautiful.

If you're having problems with the screens not scrolling, make sure you don't have Vsync forced off through your control panel. I'd been forcing it off on my Nvidia card, and when you have Vsync off, Kentucky Route Zero won't scroll or will scroll very slowly, making you miss whole sections. So set Vsync to at least 1 in the game menu and make sure it's not off in your control panel!

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

So I was replaying Act I today--did not know that different scenes happened at the end of the mine, depending on who you pick at the end.

The first time, I picked Conway's response and got to look at details of the vehicle. The second time I picked Shannon and got to wander around for a bit. Loving the attention to detail, since I'm not sure how many people will see one scene over the other.

Also, holy crap, there was a whole new conversation if you return to Equus Oil, which leads to a brand-new experience at the museum.

Escape Car 3000
Oct 12, 2008
There's a video up of a talk Cardboard Computer did back in November where they discuss the design and influences of the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-fXrj2bhYg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Escape Car 3000 posted:

There's a video up of a talk Cardboard Computer did back in November where they discuss the design and influences of the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-fXrj2bhYg

This is fascinating. I would never have thought of Assassin's Creed as an influence on the game. (The earlier version was a lot more platform-y / Metroidvania, guess)

• Locked thread