Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Since everyone contributing to this thread seems quite well-informed, I have to ask: who are the worst offenders when it comes to overuse of tinkly piano? It seems like this trend has died down quite a bit since the '90s (I'm looking at you, Forrest Gump score), but I don't see as many modern movies as I used to, so I'm curious if any contemporary composers are carrying on with this tradition. (And although it certainly does indulge in this practice, Jerry Goldsmith's score for A Patch of Blue is the one score I can think of that manages to overwhelm my usual objection to that style.)

Also, was anymore of Hans Zimmer's Cool Runnings score ever released beyond the two tracks at the end of the soundtrack that Disney issued?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Darko posted:

You should probably forgive Forrest Gump, given that it's a change in style from the composer of Back to the Future and Predator. I actually like that score quite a bit because of the break in tone from Silvestri at the time.

Yeah, it's a change in style, but I watched Back to the Future and Who Framed Roger Rabbit? so often as a kid that the similarities between Silvestri's cue style in those started to get just a bit too noticeable for me (e.g., the tunnel scenes in BttF2 and WFRR?), and dropping the bombastic elements of that era of his work wasn't quite enough to un-sour me. I'd go with his score for Flight of the Navigator as the score that diverges most from his usual style (though I feel I should qualify that I'm not very familiar with the bulk of his work; Silvestri is seriously prolific).

Silvestri's Flight of the Navigator score also appeals to me on a personal level because it feels like he was trying to channel Jerry Goldsmith with the electronics that it incorporated, and I've got a soft spot even for Goldsmith's weaker scores (Sebastian and The Swarm jump to mind).

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Might as well leave this here...
http://www.filmtracks.com/ has a sizable collection of soundtrack/score reviews, all (I think) written by the same guy, who gets amusingly catty about small things from time to time. Surprisingly readable if you need a film score review fix, but you'll almost certainly run into points of exasperation.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
George S. Clinton might be best remembered for doing the scores to Mortal Kombat and Mortal Kombat: Annihilation, but I find myself surprised by how much I like his theme for Brainscan. Has kind of a Twin Peaks theme vibe to it.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Payndz posted:

Holy poo poo, the first 11 minutes or so of Krull is Peak Horner, basically everything remotely action-related he did before and after for a decade either way crammed into one place. I think the only thing missing is some Commando steel drum fever.

And 'Ride of the Firemares' may be a bit stock, but it's just so exuberant that I have a hard time not grinning when I hear it.

This might be an odd question, but did (J.) Peter Robinson's score for The Wizard ever get even an unofficial release? Granted, he's hardly a well-known composer, but the movie has such a cult following, I have a hard time believing that no one has gone to the trouble of compiling the tracks.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Graeme Revell is such a mystery to me. He went from doing harsh industrial noise with SPK, to turning SPK into himself and a female vocalist to do synth-pop, to doing scores for the Power Rangers and Street Fighter films. His refusal to talk about SPK in interviews only makes it harder to figure out what happened to change his focus so completely (aside from needing to pay the bills).

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Sat down and listened to Creepshow's score again tonight. John Harrison did such a great job capturing the Halloween horror house atmosphere, and the electronic frenzy in "They're Creeping Up On You" is just golden. It was like a more tolerable John Carpenter. It's kind of bizarre that he's only done a couple of other soundtracks, anyone know why he hasn't been more prolific?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Can't wait to hear how he incorporates Williams' theme.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Has Ramin Djawadi been attached to any upcoming stuff?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Yo CelticPredator, on the topic of themes, do you have a favorite James Horner score?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
What, no "Countrylypso"?
:mad:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Listening to Horner's work can be such whiplash. Put on his score to Batteries Not Included tonight, was enjoying it, thinking 'he's handling those emotional shifts so well...' and then in comes a chunk that he used in Krull. And also used in Pagemaster.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Got a pleasant surprise with a film today that had Horner’s name pop up in the opening credits: House of Cards, from 1993. One score that Horner did put in some fresh work on (unless he had something prior with a lot of Peruvian flutes that I don’t know about). Nice work all around, a stirring and memorable main theme, and capable atmosphere switching for the virtual reality scene cues. So of course the score’s only had one limited official release, 16 years after the movie came out.
:sigh:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I would also like to randomly add that Batman Returns is Danny Elfman's best work.
Just curious, what places it above his first Batman score, in your estimation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
And Bernstein. And Elfman can’t even keep his motifs contained to a single film’s score.