Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haakman
May 5, 2011

Stare-Out posted:

As for worst of the year I'll have to go with James Horner's score for The Amazing Spider-Man. I've said it some other thread, but Horner really is a three-trick pony. He only has a few styles he falls back on every time. His Aliens score, his Braveheart score and his tribal style Apocalypto/Avatar scores. Yet with TASM he provides the film with nothing but generic cues which fall completely flat and fail to be memorable in the least. I know it's Horner, but the source material is pretty ripe for good music; just look at what Danny Elfman did with Raimi's Spider-Man films.

James Horner's 'danger cue!' fucks me off so much. You know the one. Four quick notes, usually brass. It's played lots in Troy (probably due to time constraints, I understand he was drafted in pretty late after the previous score, despite being quite beautiful in places, was scrapped) and makes an appearance in Avatar, specifically "the destruction of Hometree". Lazy, lazy writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haakman
May 5, 2011
http://open.spotify.com/user/ellywu2/playlist/680wtzEEfFA3fCy2kTTdj4

Here's mine. Nothing special, though slowly descends into more classical pieces rather than film scores. (As an aside, if you haven't heard it before, please listen to Tchaikovsky's 'Marche Slave'. Far better than the more popular 1812 Overture. It's great, and has clearly inspired film scores.)

haakman
May 5, 2011

Stare-Out posted:

Yeah, Giacchino is pretty underrated. I haven't listened to the Star Trek score(s) yet but I've always liked what I've heard from him ever since the PSX versions of Medal of Honor and especially the soundtrack to The Lost World: Jurassic Park PSX game where he managed to emulate John Williams' style perfectly while adding his own spin to it.

I like his stuff, but I find the second phrase of the main Star Trek motif grating. One note in particular just doesn't gel with me. I'll have a listen and describe it in more musical detail when I get home.

I did quite enjoy Bryan Tyler's credit scene song for Iron Man 3.

haakman
May 5, 2011

ComposerGuy posted:

Great score that doesn't get talked about much.

I was thinking about 80s movie themes the other day and realized that my favorite isn't actually a Williams theme...its Silvestri. I don't know what it is, but something about the theme from Back to the Future just makes it the definitive "80's Film" theme in my mind. He really nailed that one.

Absolutely great theme. I'm a big fan of Silvestri. One of my favourite scores of his is the Judge Dredd score - specifically the main theme, played over the opening credits. The brass is fantastic and hits, what seems to be, a ridiculously high FFFFFFFFFFFF(note: more F's for exaggeration) note at one point. I get Wagnerian chills whenever I hear that score.

re: ST, the first phrase descends and then the next phrase ascends, resolving on a note which just doesn't subjectively work for me. When I'm in front of my piano I'll play it out and give you the exact reason I find it jarring.

What does everyone think about the Kingdom of Heaven score by Gregson-Williams? (barring the obvious inclusion of a cue from Goldsmith's 13th Warrior). I'm quite a fan - it contains accessible, modernised medieval music - "Burning the Past" is a cue I particularly enjoy.

haakman fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jun 11, 2013

haakman
May 5, 2011
I listened to some John Barry last night. It made me sad about the general shift towards minimalism, percussion and braaaahhmmms.

Love me some John Barry.

haakman
May 5, 2011

ComposerGuy posted:

Generally speaking, this is pretty much how all of us should go through life already. Thanking Mahler every day.

Yup. The first time I listened to Mahler after years of film scores blew my loving mind.

haakman
May 5, 2011
Don't forget committing actual bodily harm against your fellow man, using Micro Machines.

haakman
May 5, 2011
Howard Shore was around 3-4 minutes a day on Lord of the Rings...

... so double that for Williams.

haakman
May 5, 2011
Too brassy and bold? Have they even heard Horner's score for it?!?

haakman
May 5, 2011
Oblivion's score is basically 'Zebra2 - The Soundtrack!'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haakman
May 5, 2011
Ba ba ba baaaaaaaaaaaa

Urgh. Such a hack job.

e: for a bit more content... check out the 1st movement of Mahler's 5th. So that's where Horner got it from!

haakman fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 7, 2013