Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I think Jonny Greenwood's score for The Master should be in contention this year. There Will Be Blood was fantastic work that was somewhat overshadowed by the inclusion of Arvo Part and Haydn, and it was sometimes a little on-the-nose when he was trying to ape Penderecki's style (though admittedly he did a good job of it, and it fit the film fine). In The Master I feel like he really extended his range with what seems like a more limited set of tools, arrangement-wise. While there was a lot of timbral variety in There Will Be Blood, The Master has much more cohesion in it, and I think for the better. I'll have to see it a second time to understand the cues, but I appreciate that there was no developing theme that seemed antithetical to the course of the movie, which in case you haven't seen it, is somewhat meandering (in a good way).

If this track doesn't give you chills, well, then you can skip the rest. Does anyone hear Bartok in this kind of pointillism?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vyu9yH5rvCY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LleYm3HFy0w

edit: On re-listening, it's amazing how that second link sounds so much like a Radiohead song without Thom Yorke. You could easily put a vocal on top of that, slide it into Amnesiac and no one would notice.

ComposerGuy, the only Powell I've heard was what I imagine was the main theme from How to Train Your Dragon, which has become a bit of a guilty pleasure for me (have not seen the movie). Is there something essential I should check out?

Also, I've got to say one of the most under-rated film scores of my lifetime has got to be The Land Before Time by James Horner. I know, I know. But it's fantastic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuoE4l0dAGg I don't know if it's just an association I have with watching a video as a 2-year old, but I really think the motifs in this piece are actually really successful. If you haven't seen the film and can't hear the leitmotifs then it might feel like pure schlock (which it is, in a way), but it's really very effective, and is quite a bit more dynamic than what I think of Horner as today.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Can anyone tell me if they've heard this piece in any film other than Sin City before? It's a super famous piece by Silvestre Revueltas and I'm convinced it's some iconic classic film (i.e. not Sin City) but can't for the life of me figure it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjfE2pUPKrU

It's kind of amazing this hasn't found its way into more films actually, it's quite memorable.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I just saw Monster's University, the score of which was pretty forgettable, but the short before it, "The Blue Umbrella" was not only one of the most charming and impressive things that Pixar has ever done, but featured Jon Brion for the score. I don't know what the general consensus is about Brion- I can understand if some people find him overwhelming saccharine- but I find his melodies to almost supernaturally sweet and catchy. Does Pixar ever released scores/soundtracks for their shorts?

edit: I'm lazy and should have done a bit of googling, it's on itunes.

haakman posted:

Yup. The first time I listened to Mahler after years of film scores blew my loving mind.

For that matter, I also find that Sibelius (sym. 1) and Shostakovich are the same type of treat (don't know about Sibelius, but Shostakovich himself was a prolific composer for silent film).

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 6, 2013

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Hewlett posted:

I thought the short was pretty good, and Jon Brion's work is amazing (just like with his ParaNorman score and others, some of which are linked earlier in the thread). However, it did admittedly feel a bit weird that Disney released two shorts in a row before their major tentpole animation releases that have the same basic premise: boy meets girl, boy loses girl to hustle and bustle of big city, goes through a series of mishaps to get back to her, all through the guise of anthropomorphized everyday objects (paper and the smiley-face city objects, respectively). It's not a complaint about either short individually, of course, but the trend itself is interesting.

I actually don't know what you're referencing- was this the short before Brave? I also haven't seen ParaNorman, which is silly considering the reviews, my appreciation for Coraline, and Brion- I should go get it this moment!

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Well Manicured Man posted:

81 is old, and sure he's no spring chicken, but he's in good health and I'm sure he still has quite enough life in him.

John Williams is what got me into film scores (and just plain old listening to music for fun). His death isn't something I have any interest in thinking about.

I wonder how much good material he can write on a good day. Or if he can compose the theme in one day and then spend a few weeks orchestrating it.