Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
opengl
Sep 16, 2010

iv46vi posted:

Who's feeling lucky?

2004 MSM full of surprises and under 7k :
http://bit.ly/17nTMBd

Ah yes, the good ol "R Racing" floor mats. Been seeing those things since high school 10+ years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I've been over this a bunch of times, it's a good car but:

- fuel cut at 6500
- turbo spools at 4000
- the 4.1 + fuel cut means 2nd ends at 47mph
- 17" boat anchors
- the world's smallest intercooler

It's definitely the most refined car of the NA/NBs; however, it's expensive to "fix" the issues with it. My mom has one and its a great car for my parents.

Phone fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 29, 2013

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Fucknag posted:

Much like the rev limit. :v:

Seriously, doesn't the Mazdaspeed have a lower rev limit and barely enough extra power to match the non-turbo's power/weight ratio?

Not a ton more power but it was like 50% more torque, which is going to be the biggest difference especially in daily driving.

e: maybe not as much in daily driving if the turbo doesn't spool till 4k

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
How is 50% more torque from the turbo going to really matter if the thing doesn't spool up until 4K rpm?

e: heh you edited exactly what I was thinking :v:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Phone posted:

I've been over this a bunch of times, it's a good car but:

- fuel cut at 6500
- turbo spools at 4000
- the 4.1 + fuel cut means 2nd ends at 47mph
- 17" boat anchors
- the world's smallest intercooler

It's definitely the most refined car of the NA/NBs; however, it's expensive to "fix" the issues with it. My mom has one and its a great car for my parents.

Better off just buying an already turbo'd NB as long as it isn't an obvious hackjob. You can fix a MSM by throwing money at it, but you are already paying more in the first place so it's just silly

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

rscott posted:

How is 50% more torque from the turbo going to really matter if the thing doesn't spool up until 4K rpm?

e: heh you edited exactly what I was thinking :v:

Yea I think if I remember correctly there was quite a bit of power to be had (and probably quicker spooling) just by changing out the downpipe.

I wouldn't kick one out of bed.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Rust-free body NA8 yay! What do you mean by "it has to be working"?

quote:

I dont have the mileage there is no rust no accidents and a piston is wrapped around the crankshaft

This one's in Calgary.

iv46vi fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 30, 2013

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
So conflicted right now.

Also we have a buncha snow on the ground so that picture sure ain't recent.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
MSM auction seems to have closed early?

There's always the MSM vs NC argument. Prices can be (or at least were) close enough that I'd probably choose the NC.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

So conflicted right now.

Also we have a buncha snow on the ground so that picture sure ain't recent.

I have no idea what fuel seals are(injector o-rings?) and how does rod wrap around a crank?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
$4000 for a non-running NA? Definitely a steal for the ages!

Speaking of god awful Miatas, I test drove this one today and the kid I was helping out is going to buy it. :smith:

The shifter is a loving mess. The paint job is loving awful. The interior is loving awful. The clutch engages at the top of the pedal.

That said, I got a taste of the sport booster + master cylinder so I'm ready to upgrade. So much pressure, so good.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That custom paint job looks like someone hit a bunch of poo poo, looked at a Subaru Outback and had their body guy throw primered junkyard parts back on to replicate the look.

I'd be surprised if it doesn't start flaking off colour coat in huge sheets because I bet the flex agent wasn't mixed right for the bumper.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's already flaking. I am fairly certain that the shifter might be completely hosed beyond repair, but I don't know that much about 6 speeds.

Teenagers make bad decisions and have bad taste, news at 11.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I'll give him $2k for it this summer if he's still got it by then. It's more than he'd get at auction after terrifying a long line of pensioners on Craigslist.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I told his mom under $4k and that it was extremely generous.

My friend is selling a not perfect 95M for $3k, but it's such an old car! :downs:

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Is invitation the only the only way to access the google group? Can we post the link here somehow?

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Phone posted:

That said, I got a taste of the sport booster + master cylinder so I'm ready to upgrade. So much pressure, so good.

Do you know if i can just slap this into a NA8 and re-use everything else? (NA slave cylinder, NA calipers, NA discs) The pedal feel on the later NBs is really much better, but i dont think i need the whole setup.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Keith Tanner had a big writeup about mixing and matching Miata brake components either on FM or GRM website. It was pretty thorough, just can't find it from the phone right now.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That custom paint job looks like someone hit a bunch of poo poo, looked at a Subaru Outback and had their body guy throw primered junkyard parts back on to replicate the look.

I'd be surprised if it doesn't start flaking off colour coat in huge sheets because I bet the flex agent wasn't mixed right for the bumper.

Flex agent doesn't stay in paint for more than a few weeks. It's for installation, not as a permanent part of the paint. If you don't bend the poo poo out of the plastic parts during install the paint won't lose it's bonding with the plastic and will keep on looking just fine as it cures.

Do you really think those things even came off to be painted and, more importantly, was ever prepped properly to begin with? My guess is "no" on both.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's on mnet, the short of it is that everything pretty much bolts up Plug And Play between the NAs and NBs. For the hard brake lines, you need to massage them a bit, but it will hook up with no issue.

This winter I'm doing a complete brake overhaul and I'm basically replacing everything minus the rear calipers and the hard lines. From my excel sheet...

NOTE: NON-ABS

Sport MC: Rockauto - $89.79 - Mazda PN NC72-43-400B/Dorman PN M630246
Sport Booster: Mazdaspeed - $164.59 - Mazda PN N067-43-800A

I'll probably get a junkyard booster if I can find one. I would also pick up the Wilwood proportioning valve kit from TSE so you can mess with the bias.

e: 01+ Sports (16" wheels) and all 03-05s.

The mnet thread is here: http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=363284

tl;dr: avoid the ABS sports

Phone fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 30, 2013

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Phone posted:

Do tell, I had no idea about this upgrade. Which cars have the "sport" booster and master? How much of an improvement is it actually?

I may be able to do this upgrade cheap off a part out once I know which cars to look for.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 30, 2013

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Motronic posted:

Flex agent doesn't stay in paint for more than a few weeks. It's for installation, not as a permanent part of the paint. If you don't bend the poo poo out of the plastic parts during install the paint won't lose it's bonding with the plastic and will keep on looking just fine as it cures.

Do you really think those things even came off to be painted and, more importantly, was ever prepped properly to begin with? My guess is "no" on both.

Yeah, I meant that they used an improper ratio of flex agent or something. That's what my paint shop guy said when I brought the WRX bumper in from the previous owner's terrible respray and big chunks were peeling off whenever the bumper flexed.

Maybe I misunderstood him. Either way, whatever magic he did (proper prep?) to fix it worked and the bumper looks great now.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

leica posted:

Do tell, I had no idea about this upgrade. Which cars have the "sport" booster and master? How much of an improvement is it actually?

Any car that had the "Hard S" suspension package. basically any car with the 6 speed. 99-00 special editions, most 01-05 cars. Its less an improvment in actual stopping power or fade and more a differance in pedal feel, and in that regard it's night and day, it makes the car feel modern. My NA has so much pedal travel, you're almost at the end of the pedal before it bites, and its very gradual. Newer cars seem to bite as soon as you touch the pedal, and dont travel much at all.

VvV Ahh, i guess i stand corrected. Make that any "Hard S" car from 01-05 VvV

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 30, 2013

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Any car that had the "Hard S" suspension package. basically any car with the 6 speed. 99-00 special editions, most 01-05 cars.

NB1s don't have Sport brakes at all. I found this out recently and was kind of surprised.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
And sport brakes become standard in 03.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Always in California.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Whelp, just went full retard and bought a rebuilt title car for the winter. Pictures with daylight. This can only end well.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Sweet Christ I hope it was that loving Speedster. I think even that one had a clean title though... :v:

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
No, speedster guy and I are playing a waiting game on its pricing. Joke's on him, I've just blown my budget.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

iv46vi posted:

And sport brakes become standard in 03.

Which makes them a 0 point upgrade for NASA.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
The thread started with a 1500 92. Lets's see what an extra 500 can get you on the local market.

Introducing another 97 in slimming black:

Rebuilt title since 2001, so probably will last a while, fresh scrape up front though:

Fully optioned in 97, power everything, cruise, AC, ABS, Torsen LSD, most of it seems to work:

Interior is a land of wonder, seats are surprisingly fresh looking, steering wheel is some Personal stuff, dash has been covered in something soft and crappy looking, fully functional armrest latch and cover, missing stereo:

Unknown LED above hazard switch, and road rage friendly horn switch:

Comes with winter tires in LOL size:

Misc. trivia:
- hardtop in ok shape
- soft top plastic window is split down the crease in the middle
- air bag system is missing completely (best guess since 2001)
- trunk is complete stripped but freshly painted
- minimal amount of rust on the rockers, but the rest of the car is surprisingly rust free
- needs a good wash and polish

Should do just fine as a winter beater/wrenching victim, then I'll have fun in the spring trying to sell a rebuilt title car.

Car needs to-do list:
- horn situation, find JDM as gently caress button in junkyard, put aftermarket horn in stock location and fix its extra wiring
- stereo, probably a Mazda OEM from JY, maybe make an auxiliary mod for it
- find missing trunk bits, carpet, metal shield, jack, battery cover
- make power mirrors work again
- regrease window tracks
- fix passenger side lock

Next, passing safety.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
For serious putting our speed up for sale this time. I'll post up pictures tomorrow when I finish detailing it.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Safety was fine, except for front pads/rotors and rear driver calliper leaking a bit. Must have been a fresh leak because it drove fine the day before and the brake warning light came right after the preliminary inspection. Bought a bottle of brake fluid at the parts store and topped off the reservoir to get home.

Paint is still intact on the wheel, brake fluid doubles as tire shine:

take out lower slider bolt:

disconnect the brake line, slide the calliper off the top slider:

undo the bracket bolt for the parking brake cable, gives enough slack to free the captive end:

not rockauto prices, but $80 gets you a reman calliper the day of:

clean, grease, and slide:

new crash washers, how nice of the reman people:

put the pads back, tighten the lower slider bolt, then adjust the parking brake the Mazda way. Works surprisingly well on fresh caliper:

swap the front pads/rotors as well, notice the relatively rust free parts, before:

after:

flash and bleed the brakes with fancy blue fluid, except the fronts, pass side bleeder is rusted solid, drivers side was rusted solid and someone tried too hard:

Tips/tricks on dealing with rusted bleeders and bleeder remains anyone?

iv46vi fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 8, 2013

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

iv46vi posted:

Tips/tricks on dealing with rusted bleeders and bleeder remains anyone?

Reverse drill bit or EZ Out. Bleed caliper to evacuate any metal shavings to prevent brake cylinder scoring.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Where does one get a miata in this uncertain world?

Miata-specific forums, pricing is enthusiastic, especially the m.net:

miata.net for sale section
miata.net pricing discussion

mazdaroadster.net classifieds

miataturbo cars for sale
miataturbo parts for sale

clubroadster for sale section

mazda-speed (MSM specific forum) for sale section

General miata-friendly forums:

grassroots cheap cars
grassroots classifieds

local ontario racing forum classifieds

Online classifieds:
ontario kijiji
toronto craigslist

it's easier to search craigslist with search tempest:
canada wide miata ads for the last two days
all of usa craigs ads for 1994-99 miata in the last two days

ebay motors miata listings

Car specific online classifieds:
autotrader.ca miatas nationwide

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Why has the Miata become such a popular victim of hellaflush idiots lately? Has inventory of 240SXs and Mk2 VWs finally run out? It seems like everything I find is owned by either one of these toolboxes or a grandpa who chose an AT with 17 inch wheels because he couldnt afford a used XK.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

blk posted:

Why has the Miata become such a popular victim of hellaflush idiots lately? Has inventory of 240SXs and Mk2 VWs finally run out? It seems like everything I find is owned by either one of these toolboxes or a grandpa who chose an AT with 17 inch wheels because he couldnt afford a used XK.

I've noticed this too. Based on being a member of the group "Miata Club" on Facebook I've noticed idiots have discovered the Miata. Painted interiors, LEDs, and hellaflush stances everwhere. :smith:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Did you not pick up the 95M? You could have made a good amount of money on that.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Miata encased in a quarter inch solid ice shell. Freezing rain storm overnight:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

So glad my miata is in the garage.

• Locked thread