Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

That looks like my Miata a couple weeks ago, except mine's an NB so I don't have the :krad: door handles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Yeah you guys in Ontario got screwed on this one. We just got a record breaking load of snow in the prairies. If I still had my miata I'd have to store it somewhere so I'd have somewhere to put all the snow from my drive.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
What is the opposite of value?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mazda-MX-5-...=US_Cars_Trucks

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
He'll come down to a reasonable 15k by spring time.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Had to swerve into the ice curb to avoid a car turning onto main road without stopping:

Seems that gap between fender and hood is larger online side hopefully it's tweak able.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
This thread is depressing all the injured and dead miatas. Even worst mazda sold less then 6,000 miatas last year. Poor little guys are not long for this world.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Elephanthead posted:

This thread is depressing all the injured and dead miatas. Even worst mazda sold less then 6,000 miatas last year. Poor little guys are not long for this world.

The NC is essentially eight years old at this point. It's well past due for a refresh

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yeah, the NC has been the longest run of the Miata since it's inception. There was the recession; however, there hasn't been any drivetrain updates, just different bumpers, taillights, and paint options.

NA
90-93: 1.6L
94-95: 1.8L, Torsen LSD, bigger brakes
96-97: OBD2

NB
99-00: Compression bump, different head, major changes to the tub and every exterior/interior panel is different
01-05: Another compression bump, another head, minor cosmetic changes, even bigger brakes optional, optional clutch-type LSD
04-05: Timbo~~~

NC
06-08: Completely new chassis, completely new engine, completely new everything, no interchangeable parts with earlier Miatas
09-12: Different bumper/lights, forged internals, colors
13-14: Different bumper/lights, colors

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
We get ND this fall? I am down for a new car in 2016 and will gladly take someones midlife crisis used.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

No, it won't be revealed until next year and will probably be a 2016 model.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Sold the winter beater. Looks like 2k is the magic number where depreciation stops on those cars.

I've quit the grad school last fall and still looking for a job since without luck, so next miata will have to wait unless a really cheap one turns up. I feel that at this point it's best to focus on finding a nonrusty one, since most mechanical problems are easy enough to fix.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

Phone posted:

Yeah, the NC has been the longest run of the Miata since it's inception. There was the recession; however, there hasn't been any drivetrain updates, just different bumpers, taillights, and paint options.

NA
90-93: 1.6L
94-95: 1.8L, Torsen LSD, bigger brakes
96-97: OBD2

NB
99-00: Compression bump, different head, major changes to the tub and every exterior/interior panel is different
01-05: Another compression bump, another head, minor cosmetic changes, even bigger brakes optional, optional clutch-type LSD
04-05: Timbo~~~

NC
06-08: Completely new chassis, completely new engine, completely new everything, no interchangeable parts with earlier Miatas
09-12: Different bumper/lights, forged internals, colors
13-14: Different bumper/lights, colors
Some 90-93's had LSD but I'm guessing 94+ it was standard?

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Sten Freak posted:

Some 90-93's had LSD but I'm guessing 94+ it was standard?

No, the LSD always was an option on higher spec models. 90-93 it was a VLSD and 94+ it was a Torsen.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I don't think 94+ means standard Torsen. If it does I'll be very happy, but it doesn't feel like my power-antenna 97 has it.

I think I'll have to call Mazda with the VIN to find out for sure.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
The only sure way to tell is leather interior, other than that Canada/US specs for packages are out there if you want to do the digging.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Or clutch dumps and a buddy/gopro.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah I'm pretty sure it's an open diff. Luckily I have a Torsen sitting in the basement.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop
I wish we had cheap cars :sigh: :australia:

Very Rare Automatic (I bet it feels slow as poo poo with a slushbox)

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Can't you just import them from Japan? They are dirt cheap there.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop
I think our import laws say that if the car was sold here, then you cannot import it.

But yeah most of them have done well over 150,000 kms and there are a few for $5000 but that's about as low as they go. I just miss my old MX5 and seeing threads like this (and the megathread) have me dreaming. However I also just moved and my new place only has space for one car park per person. I'll just live through you guys~

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
The Miatas are expensive and not well suited for long distance moving. So I got a turbo car:

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Should have gotten a rwd one ;)

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
The dog wash is also a car wash?

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

mafoose posted:

Should have gotten a rwd one ;)

AWD yo.

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

The dog wash is also a car wash?

7-11 / Gas station / Doggy wash / Car wash / Detailing place

It's a nice corner to take care of all your Sunday chores.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
And there she goes:

Didn't get to do much with her. Leaking fuel lines above the gas tank. Would have to drop the rear subframe to get to it. That's above my skill level in a garage with just jack stands.

Turned out to be one of only seven manual awd 98 wagons in north america. Had lots of interest from the volvo forums and went to live on a farm in New York State.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

That'll be fun when the trans goes and you can't find a replacement.

Sweet unicorn though.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
I still don't understand miata prices in this province:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/edmonton/1999-mazda-miata/1009254836?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

By god it makes fly-and-drive a cheaper option.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Yeah I'd be surprised if that sells for anywhere near asking. I bought mine (also a 99) in similar shape / less Km's for significantly less, and mine has a torsen diff which that doesn't.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah our Miata prices are obscene. The cars aren't even in that much better shape, either.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Late night idle classifieds browsing and poor judgement presents:

the $500 G_C Canyon:

Just on principle negotiated down to $480:

A very basic 05 SLE, I4 with 2WD, plainest gray cloth/plastic interior:

Missing trim bits:

Missing plastics:

Almost complete bed cladding:

Decent tires:

It was very cheap for a good reason. Previous owner used it as a commuter truck with least maintenance possible.
Eventually engine started to run like poo poo at low RPMs and sprang an oil leak "somewhere". The truck sat in the driveway for a few month before wife made him rid of it for "better than scrap value".

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Nice. Cheap beater trucks are the best.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Wow, you come to this province and start looting our strategic reserve of light trucks.

Jealous of this deal, holy poo poo.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
That's no 500 dollar truck!

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
So this truck sat "for a while" when it developed symptoms of "runs fine on highway, like crap at low RPMs" for the previous owner.
He jump started it for me, the engine did it's best metal-on-metal racket and tried to violently escape the engine bay by shaking it's way out.
Being cautiously optimistic type, I've noted that the important part is it runs.

Flashing CEL came up with 0017 and 0300 codes. The codes plus the symptoms pointed squarely at the GM's version of variable timing going out.
Replaced the variable timing actuator solenoid ($70), changed the oil, and it started running much better.

From luxury options 2 of 4 windows worked, mirrors went only up and right, power locks were weird.
Found an 07 roll over at the junkyard, pulled the master window/mirror/locks switch panel($20) from it to replace mine. Everything works, including the remote lock fob, which according to the PO "went bad couple of years back".

Drove the truck for a week to try it out. Chugs under acceleration, smoke from the tailpipe when you step on the gas. Not fully sorted out yet.

Took the air top apart today to change air filter($17), clean the throttle body.

Found the source for the leak at the back of the valve cover:

PO missed the valve breather hose last time, oil splatter all over the place:

Decided to check if the oil drained down into spark plug wells, perhaps just a tad:

Cylinders 3 and 4 were the worst hit, caked deposits all over the gap:

Also found the TB door adjar, don't know if that's right:

Tomorrow gonna change the fuel filter($5), put in some premium gas and see if any of the maintenance catch up made a difference.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Well, changing the plugs from Deepwater Horizon is going to help your low RPM stumble for sure.

Throttle body looks pretty clean. Maybe try pulling the battery for a bit to force the computer to relearn.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
The fucker is having difficulty starting and refusing to run properly. Almost looks like timing is off, misfires etc. Burned about a jug of oil in two weeks commuting. I did get it as a potential for engine swap but don't think that the work schedule will let get reasonable anytime soon.

Basically how much can I get for getting rid of this with a troublesome engine?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 253 days!)

I'd trade you my runs-perfect-now $1200 '97 C2500 boxnose for that. gently caress that is clean. All it needs is a new engine. :q:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
How's the compression for starters?

Otherwise that still seems like an overly generous amount of truck for what you have into it.

• Locked thread