Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
PSS9 NA Miata buddies, sup :cool: :respek: :cool:

This is a fun as hell first car. Do you have wiring in the car to mate up to the hardtop defroster? Mine doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Unfortunately, when I bought my car it was the start of winter so I haven't had a chance to tinker with it (or even drive it hard outside of a few parking lot rips and one-tire-fires). Right now the PSS9s are at full soft and the alignment seems pretty biased towards understeer as well as having a huge front swaybar from the previous owner. So far the Miata ownership experience is underwhelming. :v:

I don't know what the spring rates on the PSS9 are so I haven't looked into it very seriously yet, but in the general case, it probably goes something like tuning Konis: http://www.bimmerhaus.com/tech/shocktuningTN.html

A lot of it will depend on your driving style. If you wait a few months for me to put summer tires back on I can share what I find.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 5, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Bilstein has a great parts department. Do what OM told you to and you should be able to get everything - adjuster wrenches (two came with mine for some reason, they appear to be different sizes so I'm guessing the collars are different front to rear) and the damping adjuster as well.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

iv46vi posted:

Bilstein wrenches, last I heard were $50 plus shipping. Bit rich for my blood. Still secretly hope to find something compatible in a modded civic in a junkyard one day.
You could probably 3D print them out of stainless at Shapeways for cheaper than that. :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Believe it or not that's actually the factory paint. I was surprised when I went to the US and found BRG Miatas that didn't look like a stripper exploded inside a Jugo Juice.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 23, 2013

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I look forward to the inevitable Miata thread bathroom scale shot where you try to figure out how much weight that alarm system just saved.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I was worried for a second you were going to use the airbag from a 626 which might be calibrated differently for a longer cabin.

I'm curious if the nb airbag controller is the exact same and how picky the na controller actually is (since that harness doesn't seem capable of sending any identifying information about the bag back to the controller). It's probably fine. I doubt Mazda messed with it.

Sure looks good on the na dash though. Good work!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Man, that's what my rockers look like. :( I guess there was no point in deluding myself that they weren't rusty after leaving tiny clouds of orange particles behind after giving them a good punt.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Phone posted:

I added in an aux-in on my stock 96 deck that looked like this (I think): http://www.miata.net/garage/radio_images/CIMG0351.jpg

I have that same deck in mine. How'd you do it, FM modulator?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Found it, thanks. I wonder if Mouser has a proper connector for it instead of making paper clip pins.

e: Looks like it's 13 pin DIN.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 4, 2013

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
This is like that one red paperclip guy except you're just trading Miatas.

Think you can get into a PRHT before the end of the year?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
My insurance broker is pissed at me owning three Subaru Imprezas at the same time so I can only imagine what they have to deal with when the Miatas aren't even different sub-models.

I must admit I have thought about buying a cleaner Miata so I don't have to deal with finding someone to do my rockers.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I'm pretty jealous of your deal-finding ability. In AB, there's $3000 NAs with worse rust than my old one. The only reasonable deals have been ex-autocross cars - also with rust - and a $1500 car with so much rear quarter rot that the trunk was exposed.

There are a bunch of "always garaged, never seen winter" 90-91s that are $5k+. Those don't have hardtops.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I saw that one too. I was like "eh, paint's a little bad, a dent in the fender..." then I hit the interior pictures.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Drifters (and their less talented cousins, the sticker kids) got them.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I'd be interested in that too. Set up a Google group or something?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
So conflicted right now.

Also we have a buncha snow on the ground so that picture sure ain't recent.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That custom paint job looks like someone hit a bunch of poo poo, looked at a Subaru Outback and had their body guy throw primered junkyard parts back on to replicate the look.

I'd be surprised if it doesn't start flaking off colour coat in huge sheets because I bet the flex agent wasn't mixed right for the bumper.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I'll give him $2k for it this summer if he's still got it by then. It's more than he'd get at auction after terrifying a long line of pensioners on Craigslist.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Motronic posted:

Flex agent doesn't stay in paint for more than a few weeks. It's for installation, not as a permanent part of the paint. If you don't bend the poo poo out of the plastic parts during install the paint won't lose it's bonding with the plastic and will keep on looking just fine as it cures.

Do you really think those things even came off to be painted and, more importantly, was ever prepped properly to begin with? My guess is "no" on both.

Yeah, I meant that they used an improper ratio of flex agent or something. That's what my paint shop guy said when I brought the WRX bumper in from the previous owner's terrible respray and big chunks were peeling off whenever the bumper flexed.

Maybe I misunderstood him. Either way, whatever magic he did (proper prep?) to fix it worked and the bumper looks great now.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Sweet Christ I hope it was that loving Speedster. I think even that one had a clean title though... :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah you guys in Ontario got screwed on this one. We just got a record breaking load of snow in the prairies. If I still had my miata I'd have to store it somewhere so I'd have somewhere to put all the snow from my drive.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I don't think 94+ means standard Torsen. If it does I'll be very happy, but it doesn't feel like my power-antenna 97 has it.

I think I'll have to call Mazda with the VIN to find out for sure.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah I'm pretty sure it's an open diff. Luckily I have a Torsen sitting in the basement.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah our Miata prices are obscene. The cars aren't even in that much better shape, either.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Wow, you come to this province and start looting our strategic reserve of light trucks.

Jealous of this deal, holy poo poo.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Well, changing the plugs from Deepwater Horizon is going to help your low RPM stumble for sure.

Throttle body looks pretty clean. Maybe try pulling the battery for a bit to force the computer to relearn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
How's the compression for starters?

Otherwise that still seems like an overly generous amount of truck for what you have into it.

• Locked thread