Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«10 »
Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Oh god how do you strong people eat all this bamboo?

Surfing

Standing up.

Bodyboarding

Lying down (prone) or kneeling (drop-knee).

Kite-surfing

Small double ended board with a kite.

Stand-Up Paddle Boarding

Giant board that is maneuvered with a paddle.

Bodysurfing

No extra device except sometimes a hand glide thing.

Windsurfing

A combination of sailing and surfing. A sail is attached to surfboard-esque board, and the sailor can power over and through waves with sufficient wind (and skill) to do aerobatics and jumps.

FAQ
What board is right for me?
This will mainly depend on your ability, what kind of surf you want to surf in and what kind of surfing you want to do.

Surfing - If you are learning then there are both advantages and disadvantages to learning on a longboard or shortboard. I think if you ultimately want to surf a shortboard then learn on one, it will be harder to start but you will avoid the awkward jump going from long to short.

Bodyboarding - Drop knee boards are usually different from prone boards but when you're learning it doesn't matter. Make sure you get the right core for your water temperatures though. (Dow = cold, Polypro = warm).

Do I need a wetsuit?
If you're surfing in water temperatures below about 20 C then yes it's best to wear a wetsuit. Don't buy poo poo, invest in a good suit and it will pay it back to you with longer sessions and much more comfort. Fit is very important.

How do I know when I can safely surf 15ft Pipe?
If you're asking this here, you're not ready. It's good to push yourself by going out in conditions bigger than you're used to but spend some time studying the conditions and trust your gut. You should do this when you surf new spots also, even if it's small as there might be horrible currents or submerged rocks etc.

What's [insert location] like?
These are probably best asked in the thread. Emailing locals before you go somewhere tends to work out well for me also.

It's flat and I want to go surfing. What can I do?
Youriding might satisfy.

I don't need no lessons! Or do I?
Probably not a bad really especially for kite surfing and windsurfing. Like anything it will teach you good habits.

Sponging/longboarding/SUPing sucks, I hate those fuckers.
That's not a question you intolerant rear end in a top hat. Go cry while I pull in to a sucky shorebreak. Wouldn't it be nice if the mainstream surfing media stopped promoting hate on other wave riders? I think so.

Resources
ASP World Tour. Official pro surfing tour site.

IBA World Tour. Official pro bodyboarding tour site.

Surfline. Global surf reports and more.

Magicseaweed. Similar to above.

Swell Net. AUS swell info.

Sea Breeze. AUS wind/swell info, windsurfing/kitesurfing focus.

Swell Info. USA East coast swell info.

Marine Weather. NZ swell info.

Goon Riders

Red_Fred - Auckland, NZ - Mainly bodyboard but surf sometimes when it's under 3 foot.

A baby ate my dingo - Perth, WA, Australia - Surfs

Fish Shalami - South San Fran Bay area, California, USA - Windsurfs

JoeSchmoe - South Wales - Surfs

bandaid - Wilmington, NC, USA - Surfs

TooLShack - Pensacola, Florida, USA - Surfs

White Phosphorus - Central Florida - Surfs

wigbot v2.0 - SW walex, UK - Surfs

Let me know of other handy resources or questions.

Red_Fred fucked around with this message at Jan 19, 2013 around 04:23

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A baby ate my dingo
May 12, 2001

Red_Fred posted:

It's flat and I want to go surfing. What can I do?
Youriding might satisfy.
Well, there goes any productive plans I had today.

Some more online resources:
Swellnet is a good surf forecast/blog/surfcam site for Aussies.

Seabreeze is also pretty good, but more focused on kite surfing and sail boarding.

A question I have is, does anyone know any good surf forums other than the usuals like Swellinfo and Surfermag?

bandaid
Jan 13, 2008

A baby ate my dingo posted:

Well, there goes any productive plans I had today.

A question I have is, does anyone know any good surf forums other than the usuals like Swellinfo and Surfermag?

Swellinfo has the best one I've found. I just don't think Surfers are internet message board type people, or something. The old thread managed 20 pages over two years. Thats got to be the slowest thread on SA?

For the OP, SwellInfo is the best East Coast US forecast site.

A baby ate my dingo
May 12, 2001

bandaid posted:

Swellinfo has the best one I've found. I just don't think Surfers are internet message board type people, or something. The old thread managed 20 pages over two years. Thats got to be the slowest thread on SA?
Yeah its a shame, I like reading about surf hitting other parts of the world and what goes on in other surf communities, especially when its flat here. Hopefully we can stir up some more discussion in this thread compared to the last one.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

bandaid posted:

I just don't think Surfers are internet message board type people, or something. The old thread managed 20 pages over two years. Thats got to be the slowest thread on SA?

This is totally true. Every surfing message board I've seen just has kids hating on [insert other wave craft here]. Pretty dumb.

Fish Shalami
Feb 6, 2005

What is shalami?

OP forgot windsurfing, probably the best of the watersports.

JoeSchmoe
Jul 17, 2003

Red_Fred posted:

This is totally true. Every surfing message board I've seen just has kids hating on [insert other wave craft here]. Pretty dumb.

Magicseaweed and Swaylocks can be pretty good, especially from a board design perspective, with lots of pretty nerdy surf talk.

Fish Shalami posted:

I thought windsurfers were now all kitesurfers?

Also, how about a bit of a directory of who does what and where? Might be nice to be able to build a picture of goony international surfing (and trick those of you who don't surf in freezing cold brown water to post pictures of waves).

bandaid
Jan 13, 2008

Fish Shalami posted:

Write a windsurfing entry?

JoeSchmoe posted:

Also, how about a bit of a directory of who does what and where? Might be nice to be able to build a picture of goony international surfing (and trick those of you who don't surf in freezing cold brown water to post pictures of waves).

I say we hook this bitch up. Everyone contribute what they know, and keep editing the OP.

Also, if we're getting non surfing goons into the ocean, put this right up top:
http://www.surfinghandbook.com/know...fing-etiquette/

A baby ate my dingo
May 12, 2001

Stick me in the Perth, Western Australia "goon riders". I surf mostly, sometimes bodysurf when its little.

JoeSchmoe posted:

Here you go, non-brown water wave from West Aus... it was cold though (crappy quality from the camera phone too)

..and just to balance, a brown-ish water one from the Outer Banks, NC.

A baby ate my dingo fucked around with this message at Dec 7, 2012 around 03:47

Fish Shalami
Feb 6, 2005

What is shalami?

bandaid posted:

Write a windsurfing entry?

I say we hook this bitch up. Everyone contribute what they know, and keep editing the OP.

Also, if we're getting non surfing goons into the ocean, put this right up top:
http://www.surfinghandbook.com/know...fing-etiquette/

I just moved out to the South San Francisco bay Area now, but I can give some tips for Windsurfing between Annapolis and the OBX back on the East coast. Still haven't been out here yet. Have gone surfing a bunch in Santa Cruz though.

Windsurfing
A combination of sailing and surfing. A sail is attached to surfboard-esque board, and the sailor can power over and through waves with sufficient wind (and skill) to do aerobatics and jumps.

JoeSchmoe
Jul 17, 2003

The one thing I didn't do...

South Wales (UK) Surf.

Also, how's this for brown and cold water - http://magicseaweed.com/photoLab/vi...bc0c63809d210ee

Congobongo
Feb 6, 2004
i break for dinosaurs

SF-Bay Area surfer here. Here's a shot of my homebreak in October.

It might be a good idea to include some etiquette tidbits in the OP since that can be really important when paddling out to a new break.

This thread should have been subtitled "Better than the gym".

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Congobongo fucked around with this message at Dec 8, 2012 around 00:48

A baby ate my dingo
May 12, 2001

I forgot one of the best forecast / modelling sites out there...

http://www.stormsurf.com

Wind, weather, wave and various other models. Its a great way to torture yourself while you're at work or to build anticipation!

There was some great swell (for this time of year) this morning in WA, occasional head high faces on some sets and some good shape too, of course I shared this great experience with what felt like 200 others

bandaid
Jan 13, 2008

Wilmington, NC here. I know there are some other Wilmington goons if you wanna surf sometime let me know.

Brown Water:

I've lost a lot of weight since these pictures. I think at least some of that is because this thread has been in YLLS.

Question for the bodyboarders: I have committed to getting my 5 year old nephew a bodyboard for Christmas. Since Im the cool surfing uncle, I want to get him the most badass bodyboard I can, but since I'm broke and he is 5, its gotta be cheap. My only thing is it has to actually work well, and possibly have a hard bottom. Maybe a leash that doesn't suck. I haven't been on a bodyboard since I was 10, so I have no idea where to look.

bandaid fucked around with this message at Dec 8, 2012 around 04:05

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

He is 5 so I"m pretty sure a costco bodyboard will do. Plus you can probably take it back at the end of the summer

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

2012 Pipe masters. http://www.vanstriplecrownofsurfing...asters2012/live

The camera is live now. Contest starts round 1 and 11am Hawaii time. If course I have to go to work so I won't get to watch it. *sigh*

bandaid
Jan 13, 2008

Hdip posted:

He is 5 so I"m pretty sure a costco bodyboard will do. Plus you can probably take it back at the end of the summer

Yeah, I am over thinking this.

Congobongo
Feb 6, 2004
i break for dinosaurs

bandaid posted:

Yeah, I am over thinking this.

I learned on a Taco Bell plastic tray. I'm jealous of kids since every day is basically head high for them.

Brotax
Jul 29, 2006

He's Mr. White Christmas.

He's Mr. Snow.

Hdip posted:

The camera is live now. Contest starts round 1 and 11am Hawaii time. If course I have to go to work so I won't get to watch it. *sigh*

Yeah, it's been pretty awesome so far.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

Did freddy P win his heat? I guess it doesn't really matter since he'd have to get 3rd to get back on tour. I don't see his heat updated yet though.

Goodbye to captain america. Taylor's a great surfer but he doesn't need to be on tour anymore.

Brotax
Jul 29, 2006

He's Mr. White Christmas.

He's Mr. Snow.

Yeah, Freddy P just won not too long ago. But now it's JOB time! And his first wave was a 8.67!

OldHansMoleman
Jan 4, 2004
I Hate Myself

Bud Light Lime surf team supremacy.

wigbot v2.0
Oct 10, 2008

Hales

Has Parko won yet?

JoeSchmoe posted:

The one thing I didn't do...

South Wales (UK) Surf.

Also, how's this for brown and cold water - http://magicseaweed.com/photoLab/vi...bc0c63809d210ee

Is this you, Schmoe? That's a massive gauge taken out of that there lip!

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

Nope parko and kelly are still in it. Parko is in the quarters already. They stopped the contest after that heat so kelly hasn't surfed his round 4 heat yet.

JJ and Mick are already out. Dane is still in it though. GO DANE!

I guess friday it will be big enough to run again. If kelly loses his round 4 heat but then wins the rest of them he will have to surf 5 times. If parko wins the contest he will have to surf 3 times that day.

JoeSchmoe
Jul 17, 2003

wigbot v2.0 posted:

Is this you, Schmoe? That's a massive gauge taken out of that there lip!

I have nowhere near that amount of style.

That's Greg (No Limits). Fair play, he's got some nice moves for a man who does nothing but play with rubber.

Congobongo
Feb 6, 2004
i break for dinosaurs

Since this is YLLS, what's everyone's resistance training routine like when it gets flat or the onshores come howling?

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

20 reps of lifting my baby. Don't forget all the diaper changes per day too.

A baby ate my dingo
May 12, 2001

Congobongo posted:

Since this is YLLS, what's everyone's resistance training routine like when it gets flat or the onshores come howling?
Beer to mouth bicep curls.

...really though, I just do an alternating weights day/running day routine and skip out on that if the surf is any good.

bandaid
Jan 13, 2008

Pushups, pullups, and situps. I recently got a copy of Convict Conditioning...

Congobongo
Feb 6, 2004
i break for dinosaurs

A baby ate my dingo posted:

Beer to mouth bicep curls.

...really though, I just do an alternating weights day/running day routine and skip out on that if the surf is any good.

My bicep curls are joint to mouth, it's calorie free!

wigbot v2.0
Oct 10, 2008

Hales

ah, erm, yeah, exercise... Not surfed in about a month. Not swam in twice as long. All I do is play 5-a-side football (soccer) on a Monday.

Shocking.

Think I need a new board to get me out of my funk.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

Hdip posted:

Starting in 30 minutes. Kelly in the first heat. It's a no losers round but if Kelly wins then Parko has to win his quarterfinal heat so the pressure will be on Parko.

A baby ate my dingo
May 12, 2001

Parko wins!

The guy deserved it after all this time.

OldHansMoleman
Jan 4, 2004
I Hate Myself

He deserves nothing but pain since he made that Free as a Dog movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUy_Tr0lUnQ

The surfing owns it's basically those first 15 seconds OVER AND OVER AGAIN. The dog never stops talking.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

Push through Parko

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Hdip posted:

Push through Parko

Yeah he made some pretty crazy waves. Feel a little bad for Slater as his semi seemed to have no waves in it and was decided on one wave.

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

bandaid posted:

For the OP, SwellInfo is the best East Coast US forecast site.

Local forums seem to be fairly active for their small size.

Central Florida
http://www.2ndlight.com/
Activity spikes around the time of big swells obviously. It's overrun with epic trolls though, but they are funny. 90lbwaterturkey is a great aggro local douche stereotype.

Going further up the U.S. east coast there is
http://www.nesurf.com/ for the new england area.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Man, the swell that hit Central California this afternoon is NICE. It just started filling in during the last hour or two of daylight, but good god were there some nice waves afoot.

It turned on really suddenly, so we surfed a popular Santa Cruz point break literally by ourselves, with the last 30 minutes in particular being amazing.

What a day. It almost threatens to make up for what a lovely year it's been for surfing on the West Coast.

If you live in this general area, go surf tomorrow morning. Great swell direction, nice clean powerful waves.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

South African surfer checking in here. I spent most of 2011 travelling around the world and surfing my brains out.
Some places I've visited:
California, Central America, Aus, Indo, Brazil, England, Scotland, Ireland, Morocco, Canary Islands, Mozambique.

Would be cool to get some conversations going here, maybe meet some goons with the potential of finding some waves together somewhere down the line.

Ask any questions you like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bandaid
Jan 13, 2008

BadAstronaut posted:

Ask any questions you like.

Why are you traveling around the world surfing your brains out and Im sitting in an office?

«10 »