Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
So me and Prompt just spent the better part of 2 hours trying to get SotS Prime to work via Lan, Via Hamachi, Via Direct Connect. We even toyed with something called 'Game Ranger' to no avail.

Has *anyone* managed to get a SotS Prime game working recently? Is there any chance that we could figure something out that'd actually loving work instead of letting this game's multiplayer continue to languish and die?

Edit: We just got it to work. Somehow. :psyduck:

I hosted via lan, and he joined via lan, and it worked. I swear to god we tried this already but now it's loving working. :shepicide:

E-Tank fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molog
Mar 4, 2004
Title text
I hear Sots2 got a stealth patch which fixed all problems. Can anyone confirm?

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

Molog posted:

Cute. GBS must be really boring today.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Molog posted:

Hot drat there is a version change. I thought this game was dead. It's probably still poo poo but I'll mess with it for a while when I have some time anyways.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Wait has there actually been a patch? I checked and thought that the last patch was in 2013?

e: Oh hey there was a patch Aug 22nd this year. Can't find any patch notes for it though so nfi what changed.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 9, 2014

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Unless the patch is several gigs and basically recoded the game I don't know if it will be fixed.

Really a source release and letting fans fix it would be the best pr move assuming they didn't go under after the pit, which I heard was good.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Their Paradox deal is what's stopping them from doing SotS 2 stuff. That's also why they can't do a standalone combat game - Paradox owns SotS 2/rights to engine/the usual publisher-developer thing.
Supposedly the AI is better at attacking and building ships and using new weapons now, but that's the claim on their forums every time a patch comes out and it's never true. There was a cheap opportunity to pick up the SotS Art/Lore book recently though, and that is one fantastic piece of digital paper. The setting and their art remains outstanding.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Sep 11, 2014

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
And the greedy bastards clearly want to hog this cash cow all to themselves.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Oh poo poo a patch.

loving game is still boring. AI stared at me sending in wave after wave of destroyers while I gleefully murdered them with satellites and a fortress.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Yeah AI seems stupid as gently caress still. Didn't try multiplayer because my friends rightly told me to get hosed when I asked them to try it again.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Still can't find any patch notes so no loving clue what has actually changed.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Neruz posted:

Still can't find any patch notes so no loving clue what has actually changed.

Mecron hasn't

vigorous blowhard posted:

When it comes to these matters we are less interested in your judgments and more interested in the details that will actually lead to a fix for you since your situation is clearly anomalous.

Jungle232
Sep 25, 2005

E-Tank posted:

So me and Prompt just spent the better part of 2 hours trying to get SotS Prime to work via Lan, Via Hamachi, Via Direct Connect. We even toyed with something called 'Game Ranger' to no avail.

Has *anyone* managed to get a SotS Prime game working recently? Is there any chance that we could figure something out that'd actually loving work instead of letting this game's multiplayer continue to languish and die?

Edit: We just got it to work. Somehow. :psyduck:

I hosted via lan, and he joined via lan, and it worked. I swear to god we tried this already but now it's loving working. :shepicide:

I've had success playing SotS with a friend using the Evolve program. We're also looking for some other people to play with us and I feel that you may be those other people.
Steam ID: Anonymous

Jungle232 fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 3, 2014

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Jungle232 posted:

I've had success playing SotS with a friend using the Evolve program. We're also looking for some other people to play with us and I feel that you may be those other people.
Steam ID: Anonymous

That means absolutely nothing. Could you link me to your profile?

There's like 50+ different people with the name 'Anonymous'.

Alternatively, here's mine. http://steamcommunity.com/id/EdwardTank/

E-Tank fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 15, 2014

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Steam seems to think I am into space/strategy/sci-fi games and also insane, which are all reasonable assumptions and generally true.

So this pops up:

Uhh... Visual Novel with an 'Age Verification' check? NOPE! (e: meaning no, not my thing at all)

Hang on a second-

What. :psyduck:

The visual style and particularly ship designs in SoTS2 are distinctive enough (at least for human/Morrigi/Loa) to be recognizable at a glance even in such a highly derivative form. This leaves me wondering:

For all the things Kerberos did wrong, do they really deserve this? Truly a question for the ages.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 25, 2014

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

On balance? Probably. But I'm still aggrieved from pre-ordering and paying full price for a game that didn't work when I first got it and still isn't worth playing years later. :doh:

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
I played through Sunrider recently, because I really needed to play a TBS space game. The game mechanics are solid. I do not really like animu, but to be honest, it was not nearly as bad as I had expected after looking at the trailer.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tarquinn posted:

I played through Sunrider recently, because I really needed to play a TBS space game. The game mechanics are solid. I do not really like animu, but to be honest, it was not nearly as bad as I had expected after looking at the trailer.

How many times did it crash, does it have functional AI, and is it fun?

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Abi gezunt dos leben ken men zikh ale mol nemen.

silentsnack posted:

What. :psyduck:

The visual style and particularly ship designs in SoTS2 are distinctive enough (at least for human/Morrigi/Loa) to be recognizable at a glance even in such a highly derivative form. This leaves me wondering:

For all the things Kerberos did wrong, do they really deserve this? Truly a question for the ages.

That Warp Ring thingy is a pretty common thing. Hell, I googled warp ring and got a big pile of pictures of ships with that ring in various configurations. None of them were from SotS.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Mighty Biscuit posted:

That Warp Ring thingy is a pretty common thing. Hell, I googled warp ring and got a big pile of pictures of ships with that ring in various configurations. None of them were from SotS.

Did you try with safe search off? Are you now horribly mentally scarred?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

The Mighty Biscuit posted:

That resembles human ships in SOTS in way more than just the warp ring.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

The Sharmat posted:

That resembles human ships in SOTS in way more than just the warp ring.

I ain't really seeing it, to be honest. If you take away the warp ring, is there anything there that specifically says "Sword of the Stars"? All I see is another generic phallic rocketboat with Battleship Yamato-style WW2 turrets up top.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Tomn posted:

I ain't really seeing it, to be honest. If you take away the warp ring, is there anything there that specifically says "Sword of the Stars"? All I see is another generic phallic rocketboat with Battleship Yamato-style WW2 turrets up top.

Honestly that's what I'm seeing.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Hav posted:

How many times did it crash, does it have functional AI, and is it fun?

Not once, yes and yes. It is also rather hard on normal. The worst part are the cringe worthy dialogue ("OMG, she just dodged a shot that was moving several times the speed of light!" :what:) and the animu tropes, of which there are tons. I kinda liked how your first officer sort of acknowledges from time to time how stupid some of the poo poo is. But depending on your tolerances you might have to skip some of the optional conversations. Give it a try, it is free after all.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Given that those torus shaped engines are generally based around the idea that they project the outer edge of the ship's warp drive, the ship has to fit inside them, which means it has to be sort of dong shaped.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Well I finally grabbed this. It was included with a bunch of other games for a dollar in the current Humble Flash Bundle.

Good lord you all weren't kidding. It's an impenetrable mess.

Shame the battles are so pretty though... I just might stick with it for a few more hours to see some bigger ships slug it out.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Good lord you all weren't kidding. It's an impenetrable mess.

Shame the battles are so pretty though... I just might stick with it for a few more hours to see some bigger ships slug it out.

I hope you were expecting those ships to be your own, still trashing terribly designed AI destroyers.

The AI still has no idea how to play or even pretend to play, right?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Actually the last time I played this the AI was quite happily throwing antimatter equipped ships at me and even deployed a leviathan a mere thirty turns after I built my second one.

It still had no clue how to use the ships in combat properly but it could at least build em.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
The AI for this game was written by a retarded monkey who doesn't really have the slightest idea how to do video game AI, so you will never get any kind of compelling experience out of it. I really wish that paradox would open up the source code for this game, or make it modable, or something that would allow for the distribution of my AI fixes that were at best in a legally gray area if not outright breaking several technology laws since it requires decompiling and recompiling the source code of the game. I had made quite a few fixes to the strategic AI and had intended to look into the tactical AI but stopped working on it when I realized I couldn't really do anything with it for legal reasons.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Khisanth Magus posted:

The AI for this game was written by a retarded monkey who doesn't really have the slightest idea how to do video game AI, so you will never get any kind of compelling experience out of it. I really wish that paradox would open up the source code for this game, or make it modable, or something that would allow for the distribution of my AI fixes that were at best in a legally gray area if not outright breaking several technology laws since it requires decompiling and recompiling the source code of the game. I had made quite a few fixes to the strategic AI and had intended to look into the tactical AI but stopped working on it when I realized I couldn't really do anything with it for legal reasons.

You could always post your releases in a PGS thread.

Crash74
May 11, 2009

Khisanth Magus posted:

Wait this is a thing? I thought you could change stuff as long as you are not makeing money off it / using copyrighted materials ie: star wars.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Crash74 posted:

Wait this is a thing? I thought you could change stuff as long as you are not makeing money off it / using copyrighted materials ie: star wars.

As I understand IP laws as they work for software it is at least a grey area if not beyond the grey area. I felt it was better to error on the side of caution given the people who own the game IP.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Crash74 posted:

That's at best a gamble if they want to pursue it. You might be able to use a fair use defense but that's basically saying you broke the law but here's why you think the judge should look the other way. Realistically, they'd send a C&D and he'd stop because this game isn't worth going getting sued over.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 24, 2014

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Khisanth Magus posted:

I felt it was better to error on the side of caution given the people who own the game IP.
Though given the people who own the IP, the only lawyer they can likely afford is Leonard J. Crabs.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Talkie Toaster posted:

Though given the people who own the IP, the only lawyer they can likely afford is Leonard J. Crabs.

Given the people who own the IP they would gladly sell body parts to get the money to sue someone for daring to change their masterpiece.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Crash74 posted:

Decompiling or reverse engineering is different to using specific hooks allowed for modding. If the original copyright holder decides that they don't like what you're doing, they can prosecute. The 'not making money' is part of fair use, which is largely an agreement to play nice, but it's not universal.

SotS II is pretty unfriendly for modding, and Mekron has a contentious nature when it comes to such things, mainly because they were shooting for DLC, and there's a feeling that DLC and mods are mutually exclusive.

As for further work on the game, Kerberos is letting one of it's developers work on bugs in his 'spare time', but the relationship between them and Paradox is in the shitter, meaning that there's some tension over contributing anything to the game. Most current modding efforts work around the configuration files and the huge database dumps that are the save games.

Modding guidelines are here: http://www.kerberos-productions.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=47172

Again, their definition of 'negitive' [sic] is fairly broad, and you can't get to the AI or system government algorithms, just changed the input parms.

Talkie Toaster posted:

Yeah, Kerberos is down to making roguelikes and 8-bit knockoffs these days. Casterwar has posted here a couple of times and lurks, but entreaties to break out the ship battle portion from the strategic game have largely been ignored.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I'd guess that the programmers responsible for the ship battle part of the engine are long gone and nobody has the faintest clue how to change anything about the engine at that level anymore.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Neruz posted:

I'd guess that the programmers responsible for the ship battle part of the engine are long gone and nobody has the faintest clue how to change anything about the engine at that level anymore.

As someone who enjoys AI programming(although I am by no means a professional at it) bad AI is one of my biggest turn offs to a strategy game. There are a few ways to make an AI for a strategy game and have them still be good AIs(basically you can either make an AI that plays like another human, or an AI that plays like a computer but does it well(although not too well or else it is just unfair)). Then there are games like SotS2 where they do neither and that kind of offends me. It is pretty obvious they didn't really have anyone on staff who was skilled at AI programming.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Khisanth Magus posted:

As someone who enjoys AI programming(although I am by no means a professional at it) bad AI is one of my biggest turn offs to a strategy game. There are a few ways to make an AI for a strategy game and have them still be good AIs(basically you can either make an AI that plays like another human, or an AI that plays like a computer but does it well(although not too well or else it is just unfair)). Then there are games like SotS2 where they do neither and that kind of offends me. It is pretty obvious they didn't really have anyone on staff who was skilled at AI programming.

Well, except the people responsible for the combat system, which seems to be the first thing they finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Cynic Jester posted:

Well, except the people responsible for the combat system, which seems to be the first thing they finished.

If only it had a competent AI to handle the computer ships in the combat system. They always just tried to fly straight to a planet while I shot them to pieces when I played. I don't really understand why a stand alone game wasn't made out of the combat engine, because it was made very modular: The combat engine is very separate from the rest of the game, it is initialized and launched from a single function that just takes in the fleets and the system. I know that it wasn't done partly due to politics and bad blood between kerberos and paradox, but that is a huge shame, because a multiplayer Gratuitous space battles like game in the sots2 engine would be great.

• Locked thread