Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Oh sweet. New thread. I only stopped by because I worked out how to turn off Trading in SotS1 and was looking for somewhere to tell people about it. Page 2 of a new thread makes more sense than page 300 of the old one. Or is this a well known thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dirk the Average posted:

Out of curiosity, did you make a mod for it or download one? Just removing trade would cripple Morrigi (as their economy is primarily trade-based), and make Zuul a lot stronger, if I understand the way the game's economy works correctly.

If there's a way to remove trade, normalize planet income, and boost overall planet income to compensate for the reduced revenue from trading, that would be ideal.
I just set the chance to research the trade ability to 0. e: And set police ships to just require FTL Broadband and fusion. Yeah it's kind of a kick in the teeth for Morrigi, which is my preferred faction (ships so pretty) but it's just. So. Fiddly. I could probably put more work into it, but if it's just for my own enjoyment I'm not too pushed (and I hate playing against Zuul so I rarely put them in anyway). I looked around for existing notrade mods but nada.

What I'd really like to do would be to keep Trade intact but just have 1 ship per trade route or something. e2: Which I just worked out how to do :stare:

Splicer fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Dec 6, 2012

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

wdarkk posted:

I thought there was a mod for that in the old sots1 thread.
Link? Google is no help.

e: Nevermind, it's actually pretty trivial. Hooray!

Splicer fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 6, 2012

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

WMain00 posted:

patched continually by a bunch of teenagers led by a paedophile?
I'm sorry what

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

WMain00 posted:

Nothing, I just don't have alot of respect for Kerberos anymore.
I got that but I've spent too long on the internet to assume a comment like that was just hyperbole.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Can anyone point me to a good rundown of how civilians affect economy in sots1? The kerberos one is horribly out of date.

As far as I can tell, imperial population gives you cash equal to (pop/14), which is fair, but civilian pop gives you cash equal to (pop/42.4), which is an odd number.

e: nevermind, worked it out. Imp pop gives pop/140,000, civ pop gives (pop/140,000)*0.33

Industry does the same (multiplies what would be imp pop * 0.33)

Splicer fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 9, 2012

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Is inevitable overharvesting an actual thing in vanilla now?
These are the settings for how much you lose due to overpopulation and where the line for overpopulation is drawn. 0.5 means the line is in the middle, same as sots1.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Well they definitely innovated as far as the Zuul go. In the first Sots1 they were pretty much king of the mountain in multiplayer and a well played Zuul could be stopped by nothing short of a 2 man alliance or an opposing well played Zuul. Only the hivers could really hold the line against them 1v1 but they lacked the ability to contain their virus style colony expansion.
As I mentioned a while back, I've made a mod to reduce the importance and fiddlyness of trading (basically limiting the trade routes to 1 ship each which gives out three times as much as before). I'm reasonably happy with what I've done to make the Morrigi not awful but the Zuul work so completely differently to everyone else and I have such little experience with them that I'm not sure how to nerf them down to match the trade reduction's effects on the others.

Since I can't just turn off their +30% income benefit I've basically been looking at slaves, but could someone with more experience with Zuul tell me how important slaves realistically are to their effectiveness?

e: I also made another mod that completely removes trade for everyone but a minimal version for morrigi, same problem with Zuul.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 30, 2013

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Zuul also have trade in Sots2. The only thing other races can do that Zuul can't is trade with allies.

Slaves aren't terribly important and are mostly useful for the I/O boost on front line planets.
Sorry should have specified, referring to SotS1 here. I have a minimal interest in SotS2, but there's no SotS1 thread anymore.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

DatonKallandor posted:

If you just use the mod that makes all freighters cost 5 times as much and have 5 times as much upkeep while being worth 5 times as much in trade (and limit trade routes to 1 freighter per route instead of 5 per route) there is no gameplay difference for the Morrigi or Zuul versus the other races. Trade still costs the same, has the same money output - it's just less hassle (by a factor of 5).
I did that in my first version, but I never really liked how utterly vital trade was in general so I kind of wanted to tone it down a bit.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Dang. The thing about neutering trade for everyone else is that trade is just a fiddly way to get more money, so neutering it just reduces the amount of money everyone has. I just can't see a way to give Zuul less money without also ripping out a huge chunk of what makes them Zuul.

According to the forums the modding community is hassling them to make the cash modifiers editable, in which case I'll probably just remove their 30% raw cash bonus and call it a day.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nephilm posted:

50,000 is a very low cost in SotS1... The only real issue is that there's no way to make the salvage project go faster, even if it's a tech that would take just a turn or two to finish with your current income/budget.
That's the big issue. You're rocking through the universe pulling in a couple of hundred K a turn but there's no way to just throw 50K away to find out if you're waiting on the PD you missed out on or green pulse lasers. It's not the cost, it's the time.

Neruz posted:

Every Salvage project I've had so far has cost less than Antimatter to research.

It's supposed to make up for the fact that they cannot conduct inter-empire trade at all. Which would be a huge blow if the AI's weren't schizophrenic about establishing inter-empire trade routes because inter-empire trade makes a staggeringly huge amount of money.

As is the AI is usually too busy osscilating wildly between "MURDER DEATH DESTRUCTION" and "lets be the best friends" to ever make inter-empire trade a Thing and the Zuul can conduct intra-empire trade so it ends up just meaning that Zuul players have lots of cash on hand.
Are we still talking about SotS1? In SotS1 Zuul can't perform any trade. Still, +30% money was a lazy way to balance it. Should have given them a money-stealing ship or something.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Hav posted:

Edit: vvv Weirdly, I have disposable income to throw at them if they fix SotS II, but I wouldn't purchase a rogue-like for anything above $5 right now. We've even floated the concept of just breaking out the tactical game with a management frontend (maybe attach the designer to it), which most people would probably purchase...
Gratuitous Space Battles with SotS-quality ship building/combat would almost make up for the howevermuchmoney I dropped for this on the pre-order.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Keisari posted:

Yeah this is something I like. Also take note, the scout's eyes look in different directions.

Well yeah she's a scout, only scrub scouts look one way at a time. What if you missed something from doubling up your eyeballs in the wrong direction?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Keisari posted:

:siren: Sword of the Stars series is now on sale of GamersGate for the weekend! :siren:

http://www.gamersgate.com/swordofthestars

PS.

Remember to only buy the "Complete" collection if you want SotS1. It has SotS1, all the expansions plus an extra avatar for every race and a cooler desktop icon.
... $2.50

Are those pre-order refunds still available? Serious question. I have not booted the game in at least a year.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Pound_Coin posted:

Anyone got a screenshot of the Hiver research assistant on fire from researching English from SotS1?
Flammable and Inflammable mean the same thing? What the gently caress kind of language is this?

(my queeeeen)

Splicer fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Mar 13, 2013

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AndroidHub posted:

Mercon started talking about how it "gives you a tiny taste of what violence is really like."
Because lord knows if there's one thing I want about my psychic dolphin dungeon delving roguelike space game, it's realism.

Also the "20 of something you only need one of" is a solved problem in roguelikes. It's called ashop nano-disassembler with semi-random output.

"You find a mysterious device with a hopper. Insert items?"
(you insert X items)
"Press a button (red yellow green)"
(you press a button)
"You have received (random item of less value than the total entered)!"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Arglebargle III posted:

I chuckle whenever I see Mecron defend something with "realism." It's so unbelievably silly coming from a (presumably) grown-up game developer.
Reliable FTL drives result in controllable time travel.

Your move, Mecron :colbert:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Keisari posted:

"Well technically they aren't going on faster-than-light speeds, but get around the fact by mini-teleporting, bending space or detaching themselves from the universe or some poo poo." :smugbert:
Method of travel is irrelevant, if you can arrive at a location X light years away and return such that <2X years subjective time have passed at your point of origin then you can arrange things such that you can depart your point of origin and arrive before you left. Whether you do this by instantaneous teleportation or hyperspace or whatever it doesn't matter. Adding instantaneous teleportation to the mix actually makes it even easier. The Hivers should actually start the game with all techs researched since every time they research anything it would be trivial to toss a datadisc containing all the info back to before they even thought of it.

e: What Neruz said. There are two issues with FTL.
1) You can't go FTL just by pumping out more gofast.
2) Should you find a way to travel other than pumping out gofast, and this method allows you to go FTL, you now have a time machine.

Gates etc. all solve issue 1, but issues 2 is quietly ignored.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 16, 2013

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Neruz posted:

Not neccessarily; if the portal networks are all entangled it wouldn't be possible to emerge from a portal before you enter it. You can do some crazy insane causality nonsense by being in multiple places at the same time relative to your point of origin but you can't actually go back in time.
Set up two portal networks. We know this is possible because if you have two Hiver factions each has their own distinct portal network. Have portal Home1 linked to portal Exo1 at time T, and portal Home2 linked to portal Exo2 at time T-X.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Though to be fair to SotS, a lot of this stuff only holds true in a dynamic universe. When you take into account whatever hideous catastrophe occurred to cease all stellar movement in the SotS dimension FTL becomes much more viable.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
The long and the short of it is that realistic FTL is one of the many things that make reality not fun. If you want to have a multi-light-year strategy game you're going to have to throw out realism from the get go. Or have a super-realistic game where each turn is a decade and you only hear about things from the colonies several turns after they happen and taxing them is pointless because it costs more to ship anything than whatever it was was worth. Or make a really trippy game where you can use tricky maneuvers to refight battles and clone ships and the ultimate goal is to make sure your opponents never existed in the first place.

Honestly I would play either of those games, though trying to multiplayer the first one might be a bit tricky.

But anyway, "because realism" is never a good argument for a game mechanic. If it is one of the reasons you chose a particular mechanic over another that fulfilled the same gameplay need, that's different. And there's plenty of good gameplay reasons to implement a prototyping mechanic in a game. But you need to put the gameplay reasons first and the realism second. Just like how the "you" in SotS is an omniscient, immortal godbeing instead of some guy sitting at a desk reading reports about how there's been no communication from Alpha Colony in three days, which means they sent it 20 years ago/15 years ago (depending on which timeframe you're using) and you won't know more for another century, if you're lucky.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nephilm posted:

Soft sci-fi just gets around it by locking the entire universe in the same reference frame.
Which is how SotS does it. Relativity just isn't A Thing in SotS land. Which was my original point, they already (rightly) realised that ditching realism for good gameplay in one area was the way to go, so continuing to give "because realism" as the only justification for a mechanic in another area is dumb.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

nessin posted:

The whole causality problem is dependent upon our understanding of physics being correct which, if you can travel faster than light, then we're wrong. The entire premise is that an event, and thus the cause, isn't a thing until it can be seen by a particular frame of reference and if someone can introduce the event into a frame of reference that hasn't seen it yet, you've suddenly broken reality. Just because someone can see an event before someone else, then report it before the someone else see's it, doesn't mean the event magically didn't happen or you could somehow prevent it.
This is, like, every single misconception about relativity condensed into one paragraph.

Firstly, relativity isn't theoretical. Our satellites are affected by relativistic effects to exactly the degree predicted (requiring us to account for it when designing them and their orbits, such as having to run their internal clocks "too fast" or else they slowly move out of synch with earth-time). So if our understanding of relativity was incorrect then every single satellites would have fallen out of the sky due to accumulated synchronization errors by now.

Secondly, being able to travel faster than the speed of light would not refute relativity. Relativity does not say you cannot get from point A to point B faster than the speed of light, mass–energy equivalence says that the energy required to accelerate you to that speed in normal space is greater than infinity. Should teleportation or wormholes or some other travel alternative to "apply your go faster engine in the correct direction" be discovered then relativity gives not the tiniest gently caress, but does state that your spaceship is also a time machine, good job.

Finally, it has nothing to do with seeing things. That we use light to see is irrelevant. Relativity is not due to a special property of light. One of the consequences of mass–energy equivalence is that any massless particle moves at a constant speed of 299,792,458 m/s regardles sof your frame of reference, and relativity comes from that (among other things, over simplifying). It's only called the speed of light because photons are the massless particles we are most familiar with, and as such the thing we are most familiar with that moves at that speed. It could also be called the speed of radio, or the speed of glurge, glurge being a theoretical massless particle I just invented that functions exactly like a photon except it doesn't make people think that relativity is because eyeballs.

Anyway, I've been giving serious thought to trying to play some SotS2. Is that a good idea or should I hold off another year or so? Similarly, would The Pit be worth the ~6 euro it'd cost next time GMG have a 25% off voucher?

Splicer fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 17, 2013

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Hav posted:

Oh.

Also the photon has zero rest mass; very subtle distinction.
I was deliberately oversimplifying :( OK fine they wouldn't fall out of the sky but GPS would be all screwed up. Happy?

e: For some reason I thought the synchronization errors were larger that they are. Well, 391 years to fall a second out of synch is still look shut up all right :(

Splicer fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 17, 2013

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Xenoborg posted:

I'm not sure if you were referring to it, but I'm utterly baffled that there are blackouts and redirects for spoilers on the Sots2 wikipedia
I'm 100% in favour of it. I like the exploration of a new 4X (the tech trees, the galaxies, the random events), but these days often the only really useful instruction manual is the online wiki. There's nothing more frustrating than heading to a wiki to look up something trivial and getting a passage like:

Point Defence is in the Ballistics tree. It takes down Missiles and Drones. It is vital against the secret final form of The Pattern Screamer's Stellar Ship, and when used in conjunction with Phase Emitters it completely nullifies the Pattern Displacement beam's Asteroid Metamorphosis effect. The research cost is 15,000 spacebux.

Now, if I'm misunderstanding you and you're saying there's literally no way to find out certain things if you're actively looking for them, well that's stupid, but you shouldn't have to risk having major surprises ruined because you wanted to find out how Trade works.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Neruz posted:

You are misunderstanding, there is literally no way to find out certain things no matter how hard you look because Kerberos delete any references to it that appear.
Well that's just stupid then.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

MoreLikeTen posted:

You guys need to either change the thread title or just designate someone to reiterate how terrible the game is every couple of pages, because I thought about picking this up, and it took a couple of pages for the bitterness to resurface and convince me nothing has changed. You guys are slipping :colbert:
The flesh is you. The digital is the game. The game is perfect, it is the imperfections of your flesh that makes you believe otherwise.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I like the guy who suggests that they're actually presents from some magnanimous godlike being who doesn't understand why they might cause problems.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tomn posted:

Building a ship, something that should pretty much happen in any game of Sword of the Stars 2 that goes beyond starting up and quitting, got 58.1%. Are these REALLY normal numbers for such basic, freebie achievements?
Additionally, a lot of the games I don't play I got in Steam Sale bundles. Anything that appeared in an Activision Complete Collection or a Humble Bundle is going to have a not-insignificant number of people owning it who may not even know they have it. As far as I know the only way to get SotSII is by buying SotSII or the SotSI/II bundle, which puts these numbers further into perspective.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Apr 12, 2013

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

wdarkk posted:

In theory it'd be pretty easy to avoid most nodefucking as long as you're willing to agree to constraints like "all planets have at least two node connections" and "the graph is fully connected".
I thought all planets in SotS1 had three node connections? The problem is bottlenecks, where you have one set of stars connected to the map by only one nodeline, so if either of the connecting planets is well defended you're basically hosed.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Neruz posted:

Bottlenecks are just poo poo you need to deal with as Humans. Don't want to deal with nodefuckery? Don't play Human.
Bottlenecks late and mid game are fun, but if you get bottlenecked into <10% of the map early on it's just annoying.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SIGSEGV posted:

"AI and research tweaks" to be more diplomatic.

The other half is eliminating fleets and admirals so the asteroids don't come and kidnap them anymore.
I like to think that the admirals just get so sick of their horrible military that they hop the first mobile object out of there.

That or they're so stupid that they honestly cannot tell the difference between the ship they just launched and a pile of rock heading in vaguely the same direction.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Say what you like about SotS1 trading, at least defending your freighters was as simple as dumping a bunch of outdated ships into the middle of a cube every few turns.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
My answer to "for realism" is always going to be "You mean like an nigh-omniscient overlord micromanaging every aspect of a multi-light-year empire in real time "realistic"?"

I really like the idea of the prototyping system. In my ideal system it would always give you one "negative" and two "positive" traits, so rapid prototyping is expensive, but you get unpredictable superships out of it. Realistic? No. In genre? Hell yes. Also, as said, better retrofit capabilities.

SIGSEGV posted:

The best piracy related bit in SotS1 was your own decommissioned destroyers coming back as pirate ships
Wait, this seriously happened? That's hilarious! In a good way. Please tell me you're serious, this is the kind of thing I love in games.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 15:56 on May 21, 2013

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Cynic Jester posted:

It's like they looked at SotS1 and thought "It's a good game, but I think we can add more stuff" instead of going "How can we make it better?".
I want SotS1 with a tweaked hazard system (like, maybe a circle instead of a straight line, add in the biosphere thing to prevent bombing a system into an allies habitable range), maybe the new multi-planet system, a more streamlined trade system (maybe a cross between 1 and 2, every so often a planet says "hey we want to build a trade ship" or something), and prototyping-with-good-retrofitting and the superships thing I posted above.

Oh and those little boogers that colonise planets, they sound adorable.

SIGSEGV posted:

Yes it did. It was fun the first five times and after that I wanted a police state button to find the contractor who said "decommissioning complete" and bury him alive for high treason.
How did you know it was your ships? Just eyeballing them?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SIGSEGV posted:

There is a matter of acceleration and deceleration, since they don't go FTL they can't act without causality in the way.
According to this, accelerating and decelerating at G, travelling to Alpha Centauri would take 10 years from Earth's perspective. Of course the energy requirements for this would be huge, carrying your own fuel would be out of the question, and sudden course changes would be absolutely impossible. That said, it can be assumed that whatever method Hivers do use to travel is not a standard reaction drive because when they run out of fuel they lose all momentum and cease moving immediately. If they were just moving by using gofast in real space running out of fuel would mean they would maintain their current velocity, and therefore would continue onwards at their last heading and speed in a straight line until they crashed into something. Probably several billion years later, given the relative density of space.

Or else they're not working on actual real-world physics and rather on whatever makes for good gameplay. Maybe I should tell Mecron that his Hivers lack verisimilitude.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 22, 2013

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kung Food posted:

You can also just hand wave away problems with techno babble. Extreme acceleration and deceleration causing problems? BAM,inertia dampeners, problem solved. Or maybe hivers can just take it, as the fluff says their chitin is akin to tank armor. Any game or story involving interstellar travel already takes space magic, no reason to get hung up on details. What matters more is internal consistency. As long as it makes sense in-universe I don't really mind them going for more "realistic." Hiver STL is one of the more innocuous bits of fluff/gameplay and there are much better examples really. For example as someone who has a BS in Evolution and Ecology, the whole "only 1/1000 Tarka males is sexually viable" bit made my eye twitch.
It's not the effects of changing speed that's the problem, it's that you need fuel to make you change velocity. For Liir it works: They're just teleporting around the place, no inertia. So no fuel = no teleporty. For the Zuul and Humans it works, since they're flying through NOSPACE so running out of fuel makes you lost forever. The Tarkas and Morrigi use magical FTL drives, so the "speed"they're moving at can be handwaved as not being "real speed" and losing all your fuel makes you drop out of warp, so again, no fuel -> drop into realspace and lose all your magic FTL speed (though this goes heavily against the described fluff of the morrigi drive). But there's no real logical explanation why Hivers, who are using perfectly normal realspace gofast, would suddenly accelerate rapidly towards their point of origin due to losing all their accelerant.

And that's my point, there's so much "unrealistic" stuff in there for gameplay purposes* that "because realism" is a stupid, stupid reason for anything.

*I'm being generous here, it's more likely that Mecron&co just didn't understand how space worked when making their space game.

(Mecron: If you're reading this, just give Hivers infinite range! Because all their ships have little gates in their engines that their planets keep pouring fuel into! All problems solved)

JeffersonClay posted:

Imagine if Endless Space had the SOTS2 combat engine instead of some stupid card game bullshit. That game would be awesome.
It would still have Galdos AI* in it though :(

*I am using this particularly awful example as a placeholder for all the terrible things wrong with Endless Space due to ~~~community voting~~~ Actually, SotS2 and Endless Space make a great compare/contrast of the problems that can be caused by two extremes of listening to your fanbase.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 12:12 on May 22, 2013

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Soylent Pudding posted:

The Mecron-Boson is the particle responsible for the Mecron field, the universal source of :smug:. This is not found near star systems as the intense solar wind drives Mecron-Bosons away. However in interstellar space, the concentrated smugness acts as a source of drag and eventually causes all nice things to grind to a halt. When transiting deep space hiver ships must constantly burn fuel to offset this drag force. Furthermore, unusually high concentrations of Mecron-Bosons are so unbearable they have been know to cause certain species of asteroids to commit suicide against the nearest inhabited planet.
As far as I'm concerned this is now canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SIGSEGV posted:

Nah, they know that, when they talked about what went in SotS they junked real space physics because it would be hellish to manage. They also dumped engine torches as weapons because it would be horrible for formations friendly fire parties and full 3D combat because it would suck too many computer resources to place satellites fortify a planet properly. (I'm gonna blame that one on kerbcode since kerbcode loaded every ship apart from the others in a mess where 30 ships of the exact same design were fine but 300 weren't even though there never where more than 30 in combat)

That was also the thing that made them drop building things on colonies since having the player need to tell the colony to build a school, a hospital, some barracks and perhaps a shipyard would be stupid.
These are perfectly good design decisions based on gameplay being superior to realism. So what the hell happened? :psyduck:

• Locked thread