Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Sots really seems desperate to ruin its own fun. Between the absurdly overkill random events and the rolls to see if a given tech is available it just wasn't as fun as it should have been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

To be fair the only thing SotS does better than GalCiv is combat and that's not much of an accomplishment. It may have been somewhat scummy but it wasn't exactly false, especially given the kind of mess SotS was at release.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

My point exactly.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Paradox got tired of their bullshit and cut Kerberos loose shortly after the rerelease.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

RandomBlue posted:

Or better yet, uninstall this garbage and play Dungeons of Dredmore for < $10 with all the DLC.

Why install that garbage when you can get DoomRL, Crawl, Brogue, and about a thousand other games that are far better for free?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

DatonKallandor posted:

I've played DoomRL. It's incredibly hampered by it not knowing it wants to be actiony doom or tactical roguelike.

Huh? It's one of the more tactical roguelikes out there. Most of those tactics involve moving and shooting but I'd hardly call that not knowing what it wants.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I modded Antaran guns to be competitive with regular late game ones. Regular Antarans are a cakewalk most of the game, these fuckers are just wrong. Their star fortress has something like 200 heavy death rays, among other things.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Medoken posted:

I've owned MoO2 for awhile, and while I've booted it up a few times in the 2 or so years that I've had it, I don't know that I've ever really understood what I was doing. Is there a really good beginners guide?

I recommend making a creative race and loving around for a bit figuring out the tech tree. I'm partial to taking subterranean and aquatic along with creative, but it's a bit of a slow burner. You almost always want to take repulsive, ground combat penalty and ship defense penalty to max out race points, only changing that if you have something specific in mind.

Assuming a prewarp start, most every game begins with a mad rush for research labs on the second tier of computers. It is a major boost to your research for only 200 RP invested. From there you'll want to get your basic construction, power and chemistry techs so you can build your first ships. The second tier of construction has Automated Factories, which is nearly as big of a benefit as research labs, only put toward building things.

Early combat tends to be dominated by ships with nuclear missiles, preferably with enough chemistry research to enable the MIRV mod. Take 2 ammo per launcher, fire your shots and run for a corner til they hit. Beam weapons take a lot more tech to actually make useful, since you'll need battle scanners from fairly high up the physics tree in order to hit anything, however once you get battle scanners you can grab mass drivers from the fields tree and rush up to class 3 shields, giving you both powerful weapons that don't run out and decent defenses for midgame encounters.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 26, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Is there some sort of guide somewhere for getting my money's worth out of SOTS1? I've tried picking it up a couple times and always wind up getting annoyed and firing up MOO2 out of spite and disappointment around 50-75 turns in. Between the interface and the general lack of anything happening early on (unless it's a VN probe akullfucking my first colony) I just find it hard to keep playing.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

Huh. What difficulty level and what size of starmap/number of players? The SotS 1 AI can be pretty aggressive if you actually meet it.

I think my last attempt was 3 normal ai on an 80 star 2d map. If I'm lucky I might bump into someone about the time I'm bored of it, with maybe 3 or 4 colonies out and some biotech and engine research done to try to get things moving.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Oh, I know my exploration was terrible, kinda hard not to be when you start in a corner and can't go very far without dropping a colony or piling tankers. Kinda tempted to just scout with tankers so I don't have to colonize every other planet just to get some more range. I've tried human, tarka and liir at various points in time. Been using 2d maps because the last time I tried a regular one I kept getting lost trying to figure out how to get the camera to behave.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Wow, it's night and day different playing on a disk. My empire looks about the same at turn 25 as it did at 50 before and I still haven't quite finished exploring everything within an ER's range of my capital.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Why are my colonizers insisting on slowboating to places that have node lines going to them?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's 2 colonizers and a tanker going to a place that's just one hop from my start. Looks like they only want to take one particular node out and that one's to the middle of nowhere

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ew. So much for my desire to play human.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It was 7 and everything that wasn't prohibitive was going to require recombinant pulsed fission to get a colony ship to.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Nephilm posted:

I haven't seen any good 4X space TBS strategy games come out.

Yeah, it's getting close to 20 years since the last one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Crash74 posted:

Wait this is a thing? I thought you could change stuff as long as you are not makeing money off it / using copyrighted materials ie: star wars.

That's at best a gamble if they want to pursue it. You might be able to use a fair use defense but that's basically saying you broke the law but here's why you think the judge should look the other way. Realistically, they'd send a C&D and he'd stop because this game isn't worth going getting sued over.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 24, 2014

• Locked thread