Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Is the horrible fleet system still in place? If so, gently caress this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Is this playable yet? I looked back a couple of pages to see if it was people having fun but it seemed to be some argument about how ftl drives = jesus or something? I'm not sure.

Is the fleet system still terrible garbage that is single handedly holding this game back?

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Is Sots 2 even remotely playable yet or is it still a cluster-gently caress of bad design decisions? I am in the mood for some 4x games and sots1 is my first choice if sots 2 is still a garbagepile you see.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Hav posted:

Complex Ordinance Launchers, although they were apparently bugged to poo poo. I don't think they ever fixed propaganda ships, either.

SotS I *had* the capability to be perfect if they hadn't also abandoned that; Mecron claimed that they'd keep developing it after the release of SotS II, which is another solid gold promise. Once you get into deep space engineering, there's a whole new strategic game that opens up, usually against the background of some serious interstellar commerce.

At the moment Star Ruler 2 is looking promising, but the first one left me a little cold - A tad abstracted for me. Star Drive II has been announced, but I felt the developer there dropped the ball and won't be pre-ordering.

I think what we find in SotS over and above everything else is that tactical combat portion; god help me if I didn't start reading up on unity...I don't want to program games...

Pretty much this. Star ruler 1 and star-drive played more like concept demos then full games. Star ruler had crippling issues with the physics engine. It was *fully* newtonian, so ship combat would result in two clusters of ships repeatedly flying past each-other or never managing to reach a combat situation because they'd enter into a quasi stable orbit.

Stardrive was an excellent space combat game, but the ground stuff (including building stuff) was just terrible.

also I actually got age of wonders. Leading my evil elf army to victory over the scum sucking parasites that are goblins. :getin:

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Nephilm posted:

Should be noted that while the SR1 devs delivered pretty much the game they promised plus quite a bit of extended support afterwards, and recognized the flaws in it and are actively working into turning SR2 into a better product based on player feedback and lessons learned, Star Drive was left shoddily unfinished throughout its run until the dev (who is quite adept at auto-rectal spelunking) decided to just cut what he didn't finish out (because "he felt like it", not out of any sense of responsibility) and port the game to a new engine, calling it Star Drive 2 and telling the suckers who beta tested his first game to pay full price for it.

Yeah, 100% agreed. A couple of friends are on the SR2 beta and say that it is extremely good. Sadly I've had my hopes crushed too much by shoddy launches to put money on the SR2 preorder.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Yeah, I'm not giving SR2 or SD2 money till they ship the final game. I got dicked over hard by SR1 and SD1 and don't want to give them money to pull the same poo poo again. Both were fun games but had horrible, crippling issues that basically made them unplayable and reduced them to little more than tech demos for their sequals.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

It was feature complete but it had some cripplingly debilitating issues with the combat and movement that made it basically impossible to play as it was meant to.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

The problem was basically it was literally impossible to stop the enemy before they did a flyby of your homeworld and glass it, and since you were always playing catchup with them from that point it was basically impossible to ever stop them doing so. Your ships would go an intercept course, miss, turn around and fly after them, resulting in another couple of worlds being glassed. It was a fun game for the ship design and the goofy setups like von neuman machines but if you tried to play it as a 4x you'd fail miserably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Star Ruler screwed you over? Wow.

I'll tell you it's in no way a tech demo for its sequel. Drastically different in many areas. In fact most areas, there are really only a tiny amount of similarities.

Okay screwed over is the wrong word in Star rulers case. It was a finished, final game but the problem was that the gameplay was really bad because of the problems with combat and ship physics in general. IUt was great as one of those games where you mess around and build a bunch of stuff and crush the AI with a size 10,000 deathstar that shoots torpedos from half the map away but in terms of an actual playable game it... wasn't.

• Locked thread