Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Splicer posted:

I just set the chance to research the trade ability to 0. e: And set police ships to just require FTL Broadband and fusion. Yeah it's kind of a kick in the teeth for Morrigi, which is my preferred faction (ships so pretty) but it's just. So. Fiddly. I could probably put more work into it, but if it's just for my own enjoyment I'm not too pushed (and I hate playing against Zuul so I rarely put them in anyway). I looked around for existing notrade mods but nada.

What I'd really like to do would be to keep Trade intact but just have 1 ship per trade route or something.

I thought there was a mod for that in the old sots1 thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Kinetic Tools posted:

Does the morale boost from money breakpoints still exist? (i.e. 1,5,15 million like sots 1)

It did last time I played.

Arglebargle III posted:

How do feasibility studies work with the research slider? Do they take up research points? I've never seen one last more than a turn or two and I don't know if I'm completely wasting research budget during those turns.

Pretty sure I've seen feasibility studies take more than one turn if I had funding real low.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

He has a 5% or so chance to not get blade drives (that was the worst part of humans in the previous game, thanks for spreading the pain Kerberos). So he probably doesn't :v:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

IIRC carrier levs (off battle riders, requires levs) are good but shouldn't be used alone. Regular levs are more or less the same but not as good.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Caecitas posted:

I've a question for the goons in here who've much more multiplayer experience than I.

I’ve been experiencing a bug where ending my turn in a multiplayer game crashes my client. Having googled the problem I’m told this was fixed in a previous hotfix, but i still seem to have the problem. Would any goons of had an experience with this issue, and better yet, a fix for it?

Cheers in advance lads

This isn't a save from before that hotfix, is it?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Mecron's ego grew three sizes one day?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Neruz posted:

I wonder who was in charge of the art department for SotS2, say what you like about how lovely the rest of the game is but the ship art is brilliant.

Personally I think it looks a little too busy. They were paying for all those bump maps and wanted to put them to use I guess.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

DatonKallandor posted:

Well holy poo poo, the patchnotes for the Beta are kind of crazy. All you people that hated the fleet system? They're changing it. So you can give orders to fleets that are returning or patroling.

Holy poo poo. This game might be good yet!

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Hagop posted:

Traps: Die, their are ways to beat them, but their never worth the cost or time give how randomly these go off.

The tomb trap is fairly persistent and can give you a bunch of money, so researching Morrigi language to disarm it is not necessarily a bad idea.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Tarq posted:

Semi-serious question...

At what point do we decompile and fork this motherfucker and start releasing fan mods/patches?

Part of me was hoping they would abandon the thing so that the community at large could do its thing.

You answered your own question there.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Aren't the only fans left ultra-sycophants?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Lprsti99 posted:

Just got this in my email.

They kept working on this piece of poo poo? Hahahahahahaha.

I was just about to post this.

Can't wait for reviews :toot:
Can't forget forums drama either :toot:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Neruz posted:

Wow.

What happened to all their artists? Did Jim from Accounting do that intro during a lunch break or something?

They kept insisting on this "pay" thing.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Neruz posted:

Yup; SotS locks the entire universe in the frame of the Player.

It's worth noting that if there is a God, said God would work as a universal reference frame and would thus provide a way to 'cheat' some of the time travel shenanegins that FTL causes.

So FTL travel would be a way to prove that God exists? That'd be interesting.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

In theory it'd be pretty easy to avoid most nodefucking as long as you're willing to agree to constraints like "all planets have at least two node connections" and "the graph is fully connected".

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Splicer posted:

I thought all planets in SotS1 had three node connections? The problem is bottlenecks, where you have one set of stars connected to the map by only one nodeline, so if either of the connecting planets is well defended you're basically hosed.

I could swear I saw a few with one. Anyway bottlenecks are pretty bad because I'm not sure how you'd test for that in anything better than polynomial time.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Taerkar posted:

I've traded with civilian colonies the last time I played, but that was a while ago so I dunno.

Fifty-fifty odds it was broken by a patch and they didn't notice.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Call it "AI Works Now" or something.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Is it possible to mod in a hotkey to use psi powers? Last time I checked you couldn't do that.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

DatonKallandor posted:

Biome is a good point, but I'm afraid that AI colonization might bog down completely without it. I'd need people with the current version of the mod to check the AI in the early/mid game (turn 20-40) to see if and when they got the Biome Colonizer tech and if it's actually using them to colonize.

Also question to the goon population: Would you mind if I made upgraded versions of the Blast Beam Polaris missiles availible when appropriate? As it stands there's only one version - Heavy Combat Laser, with no way to upgrade them to Lancer and Cutting Beam once you get Lancers and Cutting Beams.

Also since Kerberos changed Blast Storm missiles to Heavy Mount instead of Polaris Mount, would it be cool for me to make a Polaris version (with appropriately increased UV laser count) in addition to the Heavy Mount version? Sort of a Blast Tempest to the Blast Storm.

Do that, and also add a " Blast Hurricane" missile that uses Pulse Phasers :supaburn:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I'm curious to see why anyone would buy a SotS land-wargame. Hex-based wargaming is fairly vibrant compared to 4X, and there are probably far more innovations there. Or is it an RTS? I'm actually not sure. That's even MORE crowded.

In any case what does it offer that, say, Dragon Commander doesn't, besides the SotS universe?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

So Endless Space is now half-off and available for mac. Is it worth getting?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Their ships cost more than anyone else's.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

So the review of Rome: Total War 2 reminded me of this thread.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Its armor was brittle as hell and the drat thing broke apart exploded after sinking.

Should do the Space Battleship Iowa instead.

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 29, 2013

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Hav posted:

Fiddly bugfixing.

Oh hey maybe now reaction movement will work, last time I played the hivers could get all the way to their destination without triggering any.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I'm just wondering how well it will work without mantle, I've always been opposed to weird single-vendor things like that.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Tarquinn posted:

It does have battleriders. No Loa, though.

Only for Tarka :(

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Mans posted:

Let's say you're playing as Liir and you didn't get point defense technology.

How do you survive the Silicoid queens and Zuul missile spam?

edit: talking about SOTS 1

The electrical weapons arc to nearby projectiles/drones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Benagain posted:

yeah light emitters are your fallback at that point.

Ironically one thing in SotS2 that was really good is the interface for assigning weapons to different firing modes. So if you're screwed enough that you don't get PD OR Emitters you can throw down beamers and set them all to PD mode.

• Locked thread