Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randomly Specific
Sep 23, 2012

My keys are somewhere in there.
Just when I was getting ready to try it again, they sink it under a new load of bugs.

Ah well. Our old hopes of the SotS/BoB/AMoC pattern following with SotS may well come true after all.

I actually enjoyed vanilla SotS (or SotS prime or whatever the Mectards over at the official board get huffy about calling it.) Of course, AMoC took it from cool and relatively playable game to damned good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randomly Specific
Sep 23, 2012

Soylent Pudding posted:

I have yet to make it more than 10 turns into a game. I always just get bored fighting the UI and deciding to go play Civ V or if I really want space booting up Gal Civ 2.

I've played more Gal Civ 2 since SotS 2 came out than in the preceding three years.

That's a very sad statement.

Randomly Specific
Sep 23, 2012

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

It only becomes a problem when a random event like the planet killer destroys the node completely and renders some chunk of the map abut of reach, or when all the lines are 30+LY long

Had a game once where I teamed with the bugs for a hard-fought win. You know how your ally always breaks the alliance after the last enemy is defeated? Happened here, and the game didn't end...

Because the Tarka we were fighting had an AI rebellion and while they glassed all the AI worlds, there were several worlds that had been cut off from nodelines by the planet killer that still had AI defense platforms, therefore there was still an 'active enemy'.

That... was brutal. And after beating the Hivers I had to sublight forces for thirty-odd turns to finish off the AI defense platforms.

That was actually a pretty awesome game.

Randomly Specific
Sep 23, 2012

Contrite? Castewar might've been, but Mecron basically went all "Due to entirely unspecified circumstances the code got blown away but we're going to get it fixed."

That thread he did in the immediate aftermath was the closest to contrition, but there was never any real hint of humility to how he dealt with people.

But hey, his echo chamber and his failure of a game. In the meantime we can all dream about a real MoO sequel.

Randomly Specific
Sep 23, 2012

I knew there was a reason I hadn't unbookmarked this thread.

SotS2 has been sitting on my drive, festering with broken promises and wistful regrets since my first-day download. I once made fifty turns before a CTD, and that was the time that I just shelved it and decided to leave it for the potential of a patch or the slim hope that it would evolve the way SotS did.

Can't wait for the goon patch and I can't wait to see it come to fruition.

Modern 4X. I want to believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randomly Specific
Sep 23, 2012

Mecron actually makes me regret having bought and enjoyed the first game. What a shitlord.

I can see why they still don't have a finished game after five years, though. Probably three quarters of the work day involves him calling his two remaining employees in for smug-tastic lectures. Just imagine what it's like to make any suggestions in that office.

• Locked thread