Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I am in utter AWE of your harddrive capacity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Demiurge4 posted:

I didn't know the part about naval bases in non occupied systems, this changes things!

However mining stations are based only on overharvesting tech in the industry tree. What deep space constructions does is allow you to create torpedo platforms together with torpedo tech, which is crazy good. Fusion torpedo platforms are relatively cheap and easy to get, and they fire 8 torps.

It also leads to the battle rider satellite, though that one costs 3 cap to place, not 1.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Naval Bases. One of their upgrades increases defenses support cap.

Also make sure to retrofit Naval Bases once you give them combat sections (Hiver Gate Stations too) since they only have heavy mass drivers by default. Each large turret is actually 2 mounts.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Sometimes Karma works.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I'm about to break back into this game with a friend next week.

How are Hivers for balance? I believe the gate network issues were worked out a while ago right?

And do they still have the goofy original voice acting please tell me they do.

Hivers do get some definite boosts this game. They can farcast all the time instead of just when the target is in range. They get an extra station type that gives numerous bonuses to casting, their gate networks, research, and even functions as a fairly good defensive platform. I think their trade benefits from the gates too.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

That's unpacked.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Arglebargle III posted:

Found the source of the problem. SotS II was defaulting to my onboard graphics chip instead of my Geforce 660M. :doh: A quick trip to the Nvidia control panel to force the SotS II and Mars executables to use the GPU fixed it. No wonder the game was chugging on a nice computer! If anyone has encountered this problem, or is just dealing with low frame rate, check the graphics device the game is set to.

I have a similar problem on my laptop with SOTS 2, but unfortunately when I try to force it to use the 555M it just won't start.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The button that automatically queues up the stuff the station needs to upgrade will simply hit the minimums for that station step. For everything except for tech labs it's perfectly fine, but for science stations you'll likely want to pick what tech modules you're putting into it, especially if you're aiming to get a lvl 5 station as that requires that all of the labs be the same type.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Anyone else notice that you occasionally find systems now with all planets having the same hazard and rather crazy (10k+) biosphere?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Interceptor missiles seem to be the best PD right now. They fire like mad and track everything including the stuff they shouldn't (other missiles)

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I really wish we knew how exactly the freighters work. Warehouses allow goods to remain there longer... but what does that mean?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Like ships kinda could in the first game but only with micromanaging of their movement. Dunno about them in 2 because gently caress the space dicks.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Arglebargle III posted:

I'll also try deflector shields when I get around to it, but that means research and prototyping. If the Hiver ships are anything to go by the deflector shield is shaped better this time around. I actually should get on that; the Hivers have finally evened out the tech advantage by researching AP drivers and managed to wipe out one of my fleets in a close range brawl. One of my more competent fleets got a better position and wiped out that fleet in turn, but I can't rely on fusion guns doing all the heavy lifting any more.

Deflector/Disruptor shields are far more useful in this one compared to the first one as they hug the ship and cover 2/3rds of the front now. But unlike in the first game I think they are not available on dreads.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Are there any plain "missile satellites" somewhere that I'm missing? I can find:

Drone Satellites: battle rider tree
Torpedo Satellites: engineering tree, comes off of deep space construction, requires a torpedo tech
Rider Satellites: engineering tree, links from deep space construction/heavy platforms

The Enhanced Edition added in Polaris Missile Satellites. They get 4 Polaris Missile slots instead of torpedoes on a Torp sat.

There's also Sensor Satellites but I'm not sure how useful they are.

Has anyone noticed that if you lose something due to crewdeath but win the battle you get it back?

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Bring them back to a planet or naval station or build some repair and salvage ships. You have to click the little wrench icon to repair as it is not automatic.

I think it's something you can set to be automatic in the auto options menu. At least for me my fleets get auto-repaired if there's stuff to do it with.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

There's much less of a reason to put your command ship with the fighting arm of your fleet in SOTS 2. You don't get reinforcements during the battle. Maybe with DN command ships due to the firepower that they bring, but CR command ships don't bristle with guns.

Also you might want to consider adding on the modules that increase crew size to help resist boarders.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Eh, honestly the CnC ship is a good idea. It makes targeting them (and protecting them) to be very important considerations in the game. In the first one because it not only affected where reinforcements would show up but eventually could cripple their ability to bring in multiple new units. In this one it can cause a fleet to retreat early.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I believe the Ghost Ship is specifically set up to go after a science station. It'll show up and kill any station, but it prioritizes any science station.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Demiurge4 posted:

Feasibility studies require a pre-set number of cash invested to finish. Any extra cash is put straight into your wallet, which is why if you have a lot of money in research, you'll often see a big spike in cash on hand after finishing a study.

There's also I think 10% of carryover from feasibility to the actual tech research.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Hivers get insanely hosed with upkeep. They have 6 fleets to start with thanks to having two gate fleets in addition to the 2x Survey, Construction, and Colonization that everyone else gets.

And said gate fleets have I think 7 ships each? (CnC, 2x Supply, 2x Gate, 2x Armor I believe) That's 70k extra fleet maintenance.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Both of those extra fleets combine to 70k.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The gateship is removed from the fleet and deployed. If you later build a gate station (And you always should) it is removed entirely and replaced with a far more effective station.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

That is definitely true. They do make magnificent reinforcements since they don't take up one of the slots for the limit-per-system consideration.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Just like the Hivers they need a survey/gate hybrid mission. You shouldn't have to gently caress around with 2 fleets in the Loa's case or make a 2nd trip as Hivers.

You can do both as Hivers. A survey fleet will have the same travel time as the gate fleet.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Agreed. I was so hopeful that the new fleet order thing would allow for queuing, but no such luck.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The effectiveness of Goop modules depends on what you're facing. They can replenish damaged armor in battle and thus are more effective the better your armor is. If you've got the top tier of armor that adds an extra invuln level they're better, they're better on dreads due to the extra invuln layer they get versus cruisers.

Keisari posted:

No, there is a specific menu to change hotkey binds. You must do it inside a game-save. You can change most of the hotkeys, but the sad part is that not the ones that matter. No hotkeys for your psi abilities or goop modules, sorry!

Goop modules have an automatic trigger if you choose. They'll activate at 50%.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I got the "More agile" trait on my projector dreads as Hiver. That thing is more maneuverable now than my cruisers.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I think they wanted to make CRs still viable in the late game.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Advanced Dreadnaught Construction is supposed to open up a few options depending upon what other techs you have researched. It's also what's needed for the heavy beam turret tech which allows for the War sections and planetary defense beams.

The Trade Enclave is a regular colony in a friendly system, allowing for you to build your own stations there (I think) and trade with the other race at the 'foreign power' rate.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

A reduction in upkeep costs would be good. It's just outrageous how variable your starting income can be.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The thing that really gets me with the tech is that this game is supposed to be starting in the Fusion-era equivalent of SOTS 1, which it both is and isn't.

Trade should be a starting tech, not something that you get with the first 10.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The triple heavy mount can use heavy mass drivers and other similar weapons (AP/HEAP/Heavy Stormers) as well as the beam weapons. Possibly the large polarized plasmatic gun as well?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

nessin posted:

Are you talking about the blue armor layer that increases by one per ship class? Being a cruiser has nothing to do with how you do enough damage (or, more correctly, have a deep enough damage pattern) to get past that, it's entirely based on your weapon.

Well, larger ships are more likely to carry weapons that can punch through those layers. Some of the lighter weapons are useless against a top-armor Leviathan (4 layers of invuln)

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

10% carryover, based upon savegame editing.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Is that a live patch or Beta patch?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

It may not have PD. I usually see AI ships with PD on them, especially that far into the game. It's not completely impossible for Tarkas to not get it (Though they should have a decent chance at Phalanx).

Not scrapping ships is a definite problem though.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Recent Beta Patchnotes time:

Patch 0.0.24705.2 posted:

Critical fixes:
- Fixed crash related to fleet-widgets (reserve relocate)

Other fixes:
- Many strings exposed for localization
- AI now use ships in reserve before building new ones
- AI will properly build battleriders
- AI will properly relocate fleets when required
- Improved transition time to starmap

Patch 0.0.24735.1 posted:

Critical fixes:
- Fixed CTD caused by crit hits list
- Fixed CTD on completion of reserves transfer
- Fixed a combat CTD

Other fixes:
- Fixed lists not updating pre-defined children
- Fixed subverted drones attacking friendly ships after docking

Other changes and additions:
- Exposed combat strings to localization
- Improve AI behaviours
- Fixed some strings / localization issues

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Hagop posted:

Derelicts: fight manual, back fleet away until it doesn't shoot at you. One side of the ship part will be were it use to connect to the rest of the ship. Their are no guns on that side. If you time it right you can fly right next to the ship while staying in the gun shadow of the broken side. Then you can kinda peek around the side and fight one turret at a time. If you shoot off every turret you win and get a research bonus for a few turns.

Monitor: GTFO, manual resolve, run toward the planet and away form the monitor for about 1 minuet. Then click the run away button. Next turn research monitor control at (planet name) in the special projects menu, wait 50 turns now the monitor belongs to you.

Autoresolve got smarter with Derelicts and can actually defang them for the bonus. I've had AR results with single tankers that resulted in the next fight with the derelict missing half of its guns.

For the Monitor you don't have to run away, once you're out of its sensor range it'll switch to peaceful and if you do the same the battle ends. I think Derelicts will too if you're out of their sensor range.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The Inquisition!
It's quite a show!

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The non-combat accelerated time is different than the -/+ time acceleration in a key area: The battle time advances at the normal rate during non-combat acceleration, but is sped up by -/+.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Shift is so 1990's. They were just trying to innovate man!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

If it's version 2.0.24759.3 then the notes are:

Critical fixes:
- Some Optimization to turn times
- Fixed combat CTD
- Fixed Loa AI not expanding

• Locked thread