Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

Laser Lenin approves of hobo murder simulators.

Arglebargle III posted:

... produce goods? What?

Trade view: top row are circles denoting goods produced by the system. they start off empty and are filled by moving the industry slider from construction to trade.

Middle row show possible trade docks constructed in that system (at a civilian station). they also start empty and are filled by a freighter constructed in system.

Therefor, each matched up filled trade good circle and freighter triangle equals one active trade route that produces cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

Drone_Fragger posted:

Is the horrible fleet system still in place? If so, gently caress this game.

Yes. That's one thing that hasn't been changed.

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

Boarding pods bounce off the planet; I cannot in fact conquer systems and thus the game is not really playable to completion right now.

I have also ran into this. This thread purports to have a crude workaround. I haven't tried it though, so caveat emptor.

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah because it definitely happens to every single system. I'm on turn 350 and I just have 5 systems because I just can't expand for the life of me because everywhere I go I just can't kill those dumb stations!

Calm down. All I said was 'war is broken' is an overstatement.

In my game at least, the Tarkas and Liir are hellbent on building a naval station in every goddamned system they can reach,which puts a crimp in the standard expand into captured territory strategy that's needed to expand your fleet ranges.

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

Demiurge4 posted:

I disagree, Loa spinal mount drones have two beam mounts. Which is loving ridiculous.

Wait, what?

So, does losing drones (or battle riders, assault shuttles or boarding pods) cost Loa any space Legos? I assumed drones and battle riders at least would so smeared clear of them as I'm always hurting for more Legos.

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

Yah, I've never really gone balls out with trade, but I normally have a few 5 slot civvie stations up with empire built freighters in each slot and I never see them moving round on the star map at all.

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

Aethernet posted:

Bug or feature?

This is Mecron, so the answer is "yes".

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

Neruz posted:

Oh, and I can safely report that the Liir Dreadnaught class Battleriders are stupidly amazing; they're basically just Zuul Dreadnaughts with more guns :stonk:

that's what you get when you strip out everything not needed for operating for only a few hours; space for even more guns.

Dedicated parasite combat ships are one of my favourite scifi concepts that I hardly ever see used.

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

Also, I'm super tired of the whole patrol-2 turns thing where it includes the flight time back to base so that when you get to the pre-battle screen you get to go "whaaat... gently caress" when your defense fleet fucks off back to base.

This is one of my biggest annoyances as well, especially with non Hivers who have a variable number turns return trip.

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

I've stopped reading the official forums specifically because Mecron's massive smugness and inability to honestly acknowledge any fault annoys me far too much.

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

Aethernet posted:

I read the forums because otherwise I'd miss hilarious e-drama like someone posting a link to a new review of the Enhanced Edition at Space Sector, Mecron having a pop at the reviewer, the reviewer stopping by to defend himself and then Erinys going absolutely mental at him, locking the thread and then deleting it. Just happened now.

You are absolutely not allowed to say this without providing screenshots or something, goddamn.

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

Huh, Stardrive looks kinda cool from that youtube vid, and I'd even say it's just as pretty.

I never liked the SotS II graphics that much; it always looked like they'd suddenly discovered different shaders and were incapable of not using all of tyhem at once, making everything look super shiny and reflective.

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

Tommofork posted:

I've been thinking about picking this up, so I decided to read an AAR on the Kerberos forums. It's turn 53 and he's just finished researching his fourth tech. Fourth. A loving glacier could outrun this game. No wonder you guys advocate starting with 10 techs.

Yah, starting with 10 techs is basically mandatory.

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

The Sharmat posted:

How many more patches are expected, given there will be no new funding for the devs? Because frankly it seems like the thread title needs to go back to "There is no hope for this game.".

Considering they've basically stated they're totally out of money as well, I think there's a good chance we won't be getting any more patches.

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

Talkie Toaster posted:

I hope there's at least 1 more. The way planets keep getting jammed in an uncolonisable state is incredibly annoying. They have mentioned on the forums that they were planning some UI improvements, so it sounds like it's not been thrown under the bus *just yet*.

Anything they say was said under the impression that their godawful roguelike was going to fund them for a while. This probably isn't going to be the case.

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

Can someone link those beta patch notes? I had a quick poke round the Kerberos forums but couldn't find them.

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

Well, the mission system change does give you more flexibility, albeit with a lot of faffing around. You can now (as hivers) deploy a gate, cancel the fleet's mission on the same turn, then start a survay mission at that system, and the gate fleet will show as available (and in system so 0 turns travel).

The Loa seem to benefit from this most, being able to build an NPG gate, then survey the system, then colonise a planet, then build a station there, all with one fleet without having to return to base at all (Loa supply seems to be bugged as well, giving them a flat 15 turns endurance whatever you take, which translates to 30 turns within supply range of a planet/station).

It's still a pain in the rear end micro hell.

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

DatonKallandor posted:

You don't need to cancel the mission actually. Once the Fleet is at the Return stage of the mission it can be retasked.

The Loa thing isn't a bug by the way. It's intentional. Some wierd thing about them being the equivalent of "a person in a spacesuit"...mecron/dembo.

Building a station or colonising a planet always have their mission hang round an extra turn for some reason; cancelling the mission after they've finished puts them in the return stance and allows them to be selected for another mission.

I'm aware of the Cerberos special squad's excuse for the hinky Loa supply, but I'm pretty sure it's just cause they couldn't figure out a way to squeeze a race who can change a fleet's supply situation on a turn by turn basis into the existing supply structure.

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

Elem7 posted:

Any verdict on the AI changes? Bought the game a ways back on sale but still have never played, I don't want to put a week into a game just to find out like Arglebargle that the AI is broken and using the same weapons at turn 300 as they were at turn 50.

I'm playing a new game now off and on (up to turn 60). I'll get up past 100 then hop over to an AI to see hod pants on head retarded it is now.

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

Someone needs to set up a max research, techs and economy game and just click through to turn 100 then save and swap over to the AIs to see if they've expanded and prototyped new designs.

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

Infrastructure. Terraforming is affected by the I industrial output of the colony and if your infrastructure is very low you won't be terraforming squat.

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

I'd forgotten how..... Colourful SotS 1 was.

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

The Sharmat posted:

now that the Money Pit is done.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/24/sword-of-the-stars-the-pit-expansion-due-next-month/

It's never done.

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

Any mod should I think be primarily done to un-gently caress the AI; if the AIs doesn't understand stimus or security spending then yank them out. Same for prototyping, trade or anything else the AI seems blind to. I'd much rather have a game with less features and a working Ai than what we have at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

Just reading this stuff makes the state SotS2 is still in 2 years post release more and more incredible.

• Locked thread