Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Not only that, but they could get PAID to learn this stuff and much more at a two year college

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I've yet to see a 2-year college or career-oriented trade school near me (northern NJ) have anything for IT past A+ or CCNA as part of any IT career education.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

MJP posted:

I've yet to see a 2-year college or career-oriented trade school near me (northern NJ) have anything for IT past A+ or CCNA as part of any IT career education.

That's weird. I went to a CC in Maricopa County in Arizona, and my 2 year degree is actually an AAS in Microsoft Networking Technology, where I had training towards my 2003 MCSE. That was 10 years ago though...

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

skipdogg posted:

That's weird. I went to a CC in Maricopa County in Arizona, and my 2 year degree is actually an AAS in Microsoft Networking Technology, where I had training towards my 2003 MCSE. That was 10 years ago though...

Maricopa County still has outstanding IT classes. All the colleges are in a partnership which results in a HUGE amount of classes you can take. Two of the colleges teach an ESXi class (in person only).

The prices are great if you're in county. It's still worth looking at if you're not a resident, the prices might be competitive with local training options.

In related news, I passed my Security+ exam. The advice in this thread is accurate. Read the book, study the port chart, pass the test.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Has anyone taken midrange / AS400 / IBM Power Training through Avnet, Global Knowledge, Interskill?

I'm up for training but I'm a little unsure which company to go through. From past experience the quality of training can significantly differentiate.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Alright, got my job to pay for me to take the 70-680 exam. I scheduled it out for December 20, which should be way more time than I need, so hopefully I can move it up. Tired of just having A+ and Network+ to my name given how much further along I've come lately.

I've got the Panek book, and I'm watching videos at http://www.professormesser.com/ - any other study materials people might recommend?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Almost done with this stupid 70-410 class. We get access to measure up example exams but what did everyone use to study from?

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
Just passed my 70-410 today. After I finish my school projects I'm going for my 411 and 412. I'm hoping to be MCSA by the end of the year.

It's been a while since I've taken one of these certs but I was asked to turn my pockets out and show I didn't have anything in them and lift my sleeves. They asked me to remove my watch too. Is this the standard now?

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Sacred Cow posted:

Just passed my 70-410 today. After I finish my school projects I'm going for my 411 and 412. I'm hoping to be MCSA by the end of the year.

It's been a while since I've taken one of these certs but I was asked to turn my pockets out and show I didn't have anything in them and lift my sleeves. They asked me to remove my watch too. Is this the standard now?

Is this Pearson or Prometric? Haven't been asked to lift sleeves, but watch and pockets has been the standard at Pearson for a few years now.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Contingency posted:

Is this Pearson or Prometric? Haven't been asked to lift sleeves, but watch and pockets has been the standard at Pearson for a few years now.

Yeah it was my first time taking one with Pearson. Last time I took a cert test was Prometric. They asked to hold on to my phone and that was it. I guess next time I'll leave everything in the car.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Sacred Cow posted:

Yeah it was my first time taking one with Pearson. Last time I took a cert test was Prometric. They asked to hold on to my phone and that was it. I guess next time I'll leave everything in the car.

Nothing beats my 70-291. I was in NYC, and there were a handful of Prometric testing centers in midtown. The one that could take me was basically a small computer school (which as of last April was no longer listed on the test center) that just had me sign in and sit down. I asked if they wanted me to turn out my pockets and take my phone, they just shrugged.

The camera was pointed straight out the window, unless it was some kind of 270 degree lens.

I guess that's why they're not listed anymore.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sacred Cow posted:

Pretty standard in my experience. I had to place everything in a locker, and the last 2 times I went they wanded me with a metal detector. They're getting pretty serious about some of these exams. Some of them require a picture and thumbprint. The Microsoft exams I've taken just need 2 forms of ID. The testing center I go to has cameras everywhere and the employees actually watch them.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
Day 2 of my MCSA Server 2012 Boot Camp...

God, I suck at subnetting. :(

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I just ordered the MS Press books for 70-410, 70-411, and 70-412. Hopefully I can bum rush this poo poo and actually get a drat cert. Hopefully this is better than the last time I tried to get an MS cert. I've got the previous 2008 equivalent of the 70-410 book that I ordered over 2 years ago and never even cracked. At least Amazon is willing to buy it from me for $20!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I've read the books don't cover enough material to pass the test. There are some threads over at TechExams.net that go over the tests pretty well and people post feedback and results there.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcsa-mcse-windows-2012-general/88247-70-410-resources.html

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

skipdogg posted:

I've read the books don't cover enough material to pass the test. There are some threads over at TechExams.net that go over the tests pretty well and people post feedback and results there.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcsa-mcse-windows-2012-general/88247-70-410-resources.html

The problem is some of the questions from 70-411 is in the 70-410 exam. There were questions about HyperV, WDS and even VPN that either weren't in the material or I missed. I'm working on 70-411 now and I'm skimming some of 70-412 just to be safe.

edit - Found another example. I'm reading on DC Cloning in 70-411 but I had at least one question on the 70-410 exam.

Sacred Cow fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 4, 2014

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
Anybody have any experience with the Kaplan Transcender test exams? They're frigging brutal, but my boot camp trainer said they're harder than the actual exam.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Day 2 of my MCSA Server 2012 Boot Camp...

God, I suck at subnetting. :(

Just the act of doing the math, or something else? Because there are all sorts of tricks to make it easier.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

Just the act of doing the math, or something else? Because there are all sorts of tricks to make it easier.

I think it's the math. poo poo like "How many bits are required for a subnet that contains 100 hosts?"

Then again, that was a "Figure out minimum x to accommodate hosts in (2^x)-2 and count the 1s in the host ID" question. I dunno. I just blank at that.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
Subnetting is one of those things that you either use ALL THE TIME so you don't even have to do the math anymore, or you never use so it takes a bit. If you absolutely have to know that poo poo rote for the cert then never look at it again, this and this are awesome practice.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

skipdogg posted:

Thanks for this. This exam has been kicking my rear end (failed it twice with 620ish) so hopefully this will let me laser focus.

The books are very inadequate, most of the exam questions are "you are working on a server core installation and have to do everything in Powershell because of course you do." And, of course, having to learn The Microsoft WayTM of doing things because in the exam universe, third-party vendors don't exist.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

univbee posted:

Thanks for this. This exam has been kicking my rear end (failed it twice with 620ish) so hopefully this will let me laser focus.

The books are very inadequate, most of the exam questions are "you are working on a server core installation and have to do everything in Powershell because of course you do." And, of course, having to learn The Microsoft WayTM of doing things because in the exam universe, third-party vendors don't exist.

Microsoft want you to come out of training full of ideas hoping that you'll go to your boss and tell them about all the wonderful integrated services WINDOWS SERVER 2012R2 STANDARD AND DATACENTER can offer your business.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Other than the CCNA-DC, and EMCISAv2 which I got; any other good datacenter certs to focus on?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Sacred Cow posted:

Microsoft want you to come out of training full of ideas hoping that you'll go to your boss and tell them about all the wonderful integrated services WINDOWS SERVER 2012R2 STANDARD AND DATACENTER can offer your business.

LETS GRIND INTO YOUR loving MIND HOW AWESOME AND AMAZING NAP IS*

*depreciated in 2012 R2

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

Sacred Cow posted:

I'm more than a little upset over how MCSE: Communication and Messaging (Lync and Exchange) require Office 365 exams now.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Lord Dudeguy posted:

I'm more than a little upset over how MCSE: Communication and Messaging (Lync and Exchange) require Office 365 exams now.

Funny you should bring thaty up....

http://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/2llw1k/free_microsoft_exam_vouchers_for_71532_beta_70533/

(REAL FREE MICROSOFT CERTS)

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Its only an "alternate path" to an MCSA. If you go to Microsoft's cert site they still allow 70-410 - 70-412 as a way to get an MCSE in Communication or Messaging under "Additional Options". They're really pushing it because O365 is pretty much standard for any EA now.

Also, never do a standalone O365 Lync deployment unless you hate controlling policies. You only have access to about 10 Powershell commands and 9 of them are "Get-".

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Sacred Cow posted:

Also, never do a standalone O365 Lync deployment unless you hate controlling policies. You only have access to about 10 Powershell commands and 9 of them are "Get-".

The tenth is ForEach-Object

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
What did/do y'all have for your CCIE labs? Time to get off my rear end and get crankin' on this.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

psydude posted:

What did/do y'all have for your CCIE labs? Time to get off my rear end and get crankin' on this.

To prepare I basically mapped out a study plan that covered the next 12 months. It gradually ramped up more over time and I made sure to give myself time in between studying to "cool off" and avoid burnout.

For the first 3 months it was basically 4 hours a night 4 nights a week going through individual technology labs (either using an INE/IPExpert workbook or just straight up going through the blueprint). My goal was first to just get them done using whatever resources (google, blog posts, asking folks, whatever.)

The next 3 months I basically doubled my lab time and focused on solving problems using only Cisco provided documentation. I also started thinking of stupid scenarios that deal with the technology being used in ways you generally wouldn't find in the real world. An example might be to make sure that Router X has a specific OSPF router ID without using the 'router-id' command oh and by the way there's already a loopback with 223.255.255.254 configured and the router ID you need to use is say 99.100.1.1. Those sorts of contrived scenarios you hopefully never run into in the field.

The next 6 months were pretty painful. 8 hour lab days and 12 hour lab days where I can. At this point I'm taking a night off and this is where I started doing my mock full scale labs. Depending on which CCIE you're looking for you'll find INE, IPExpert or maybe even Cisco Press have some mock full scale labs you can do some self assessments. These are usually rated in difficulty by the authors so I saved the hardest ones for last and I didn't read ahead on any of them. Basically I didn't know what was in a mock lab until I sat down to go through it. Also start timing yourself. A big part of the challenge is getting something done in the allotted time.

The last couple months leading up to the exam I took some time off where I could to spend more time doing lab stuff. I also made sure to get a hotel as close to the lab exam as I could even though I live in the Bay Area. I basically wanted to make sure I woke up, had a good breakfast and could get to the testing center with as little stress as possible.

Things I did in the background:

1. Read every configuration guide cover to cover
2. Read chapters of books for things I needed clarity on.
3. Make sure you don't forget fundamentals so it's worth noodling on things like this: https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/133976/reading-and-understanding-ospf-database
4. Teach others on the technology you're learning

If you don't pass your first go-round don't freak out as the second time will be a lot easier. You'll know what to expect and you'll probably get it the second time around.

TheDestructinator
Jul 18, 2006
My company wants me to become more well versed in Active Directory, so they want me to find some sort of training. I'm already studying for my MCSA (and eventually my MCSE), and am looking for some training that is more intermediate to advanced level.

Any recommendations for study material or training courses for AD?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Lync 2013 will soon be Skype for Business. This probably plays into it.

http://blogs.skype.com/2014/11/11/introducing-skype-for-business/

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

TheDestructinator posted:

My company wants me to become more well versed in Active Directory, so they want me to find some sort of training. I'm already studying for my MCSA (and eventually my MCSE), and am looking for some training that is more intermediate to advanced level.

Any recommendations for study material or training courses for AD?

Your real best bet if you're going to MCSE is start doing active directory sites and forests. Simulate and understand replication time and how it impacts deployment of policies, software deployments. Do a non-authoritative and authoritative restore of AD.

Then, deploy a active directory federation server and Certification servers, both enterprise and stand-alone and understand which does which and how to use them.

These are all real, core level AD, things you'll use in your day to day of managing a domain. (ADFS is mostly seen in enterprise SSO, but it IS important to understand and explain it.)

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Has anyone here or anyone you guys know ever used the CompTIA CertMaster thing? I'm just curious if it works.

Also how do you guys deal with the whole "Certification expiring in 3 years" problem? Do you take the Continuing Education Unit program?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

1000101 posted:

To prepare I basically mapped out a study plan that covered the next 12 months. It gradually ramped up more over time and I made sure to give myself time in between studying to "cool off" and avoid burnout.

For the first 3 months it was basically 4 hours a night 4 nights a week going through individual technology labs (either using an INE/IPExpert workbook or just straight up going through the blueprint). My goal was first to just get them done using whatever resources (google, blog posts, asking folks, whatever.)

The next 3 months I basically doubled my lab time and focused on solving problems using only Cisco provided documentation. I also started thinking of stupid scenarios that deal with the technology being used in ways you generally wouldn't find in the real world. An example might be to make sure that Router X has a specific OSPF router ID without using the 'router-id' command oh and by the way there's already a loopback with 223.255.255.254 configured and the router ID you need to use is say 99.100.1.1. Those sorts of contrived scenarios you hopefully never run into in the field.

The next 6 months were pretty painful. 8 hour lab days and 12 hour lab days where I can. At this point I'm taking a night off and this is where I started doing my mock full scale labs. Depending on which CCIE you're looking for you'll find INE, IPExpert or maybe even Cisco Press have some mock full scale labs you can do some self assessments. These are usually rated in difficulty by the authors so I saved the hardest ones for last and I didn't read ahead on any of them. Basically I didn't know what was in a mock lab until I sat down to go through it. Also start timing yourself. A big part of the challenge is getting something done in the allotted time.

The last couple months leading up to the exam I took some time off where I could to spend more time doing lab stuff. I also made sure to get a hotel as close to the lab exam as I could even though I live in the Bay Area. I basically wanted to make sure I woke up, had a good breakfast and could get to the testing center with as little stress as possible.

Things I did in the background:

1. Read every configuration guide cover to cover
2. Read chapters of books for things I needed clarity on.
3. Make sure you don't forget fundamentals so it's worth noodling on things like this: https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/133976/reading-and-understanding-ospf-database
4. Teach others on the technology you're learning

If you don't pass your first go-round don't freak out as the second time will be a lot easier. You'll know what to expect and you'll probably get it the second time around.

This sounds un-fun, but I'm glad to see Cisco hasn't watered down the CCIE. I'm wondering if it's feasible to do this while pursuing a masters in systems engineering, because I'm starting my program in the spring.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

psydude posted:

This sounds un-fun, but I'm glad to see Cisco hasn't watered down the CCIE. I'm wondering if it's feasible to do this while pursuing a masters in systems engineering, because I'm starting my program in the spring.

I'll be honest, for all the pain it was worth it to see that email in my inbox letting me know I passed. Dunno what the maters is going to take because I'm a college dropout but depending on your free time it may be difficult.

As an aside I started watching the route/switch advanced technology videos on INE and I'd say that might be a worthwhile resource as well.

KERNOD WEL
Oct 10, 2012
I'm interested in the RHCSA exam, and I see on Red Hat's website that there are two options for training: a 2 part, 9 days total comprehensive course, or the Rapid Track which is only 4 days. The Rapid Track description says it "builds on a student's existing understanding of command-line based Linux system administration". For those who have taken it, how much prior Linux knowledge does it assume?

I ask because I have played around with Linux on a hobbyist level, and I am fairly familiar with the command line from my work with OS X, but that is my scope of experience with Linux. Could someone like me be OK in the Rapid Track or should I go for the two parter? The cost shouldn't be an issue as i'm sure my employer will reimburse me, but i'm just concerned about the total time spent in class.

I've been the "Mac guy" at various organizations over the past few years, but I want to get away from that and get into Linux administration, which is why I am interested in the RHCSA. I understand that it is an entirely practical exam rather than multiple choice, so I definitely want to get classroom time before I attempt it.

KERNOD WEL fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 12, 2014

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I work as a one man administrator at a small company, and I've had experience deploying 2003 servers and AD along with fixing anything that could go wrong IT related at a company. I don't have any certs, but I'm fairly knowledgeable. I'm looking to get out of here, but I don't know which path to lay out. I basically need to start from scratch. What should I start with? Ideally I'd like to administer enterprise nservers.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

skipdogg posted:

Pretty standard in my experience. I had to place everything in a locker, and the last 2 times I went they wanded me with a metal detector. They're getting pretty serious about some of these exams. Some of them require a picture and thumbprint. The Microsoft exams I've taken just need 2 forms of ID. The testing center I go to has cameras everywhere and the employees actually watch them.

A metal detector? Dang. My prometric place has the two forms of id, general cleanout of pockets, hand/sleeve check and a photograph. It's nice to have one 5 minutes away but the only problem is that it's always either crazy hot or cold due to poor circulation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Leon Einstein posted:

I work as a one man administrator at a small company, and I've had experience deploying 2003 servers and AD along with fixing anything that could go wrong IT related at a company. I don't have any certs, but I'm fairly knowledgeable. I'm looking to get out of here, but I don't know which path to lay out. I basically need to start from scratch. What should I start with? Ideally I'd like to administer enterprise nservers.

Do you want to stick with microsoft solutions or are you open to learning linux? I would seriously invest in learning a hypervisor stack (microsoft or VMware) if you're looking at the next level.