Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hiyoshi
Jun 27, 2003

The jig is up!
Microsoft's offering some free exam vouchers, exam voucher discounts, and exam voucher/practice test bundles through 12/31: http://borntolearn.mslearn.net/goodstuff/p/mcp.aspx.

If you go for the voucher/test bundle make sure you check that there is a practice test for the exam you want to take. Some people have complained that there isn't a practice test for every exam.

Hiyoshi fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Anyone know off the top of their head how long it takes CompTIA to post certifications to your account? I'm not seeing much about it on their website beside show to order new paper certificates.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

skipdogg posted:

I don't know about recently as tests are getting harder, question pools are increasing and the test themselves are adaptive, but those braindump sites are 100% legit. Word for loving word what was on the exam. Word for loving word. Replace Contoso with Testking and they are the exact same questions.

CBT will ask the same type of questions in the same format, but dump sites have the EXACT same question.

Years ago after a cert exam I looked at a Testking for an exam I took and I could easily circle 45 of the questions as exact word for word copies from the exam.

Which vendor's test did you take? I did an IBM one and the testking was similar but not an exact replica.

I was wrong earlier, looks like Microsoft didn't drop the case but they settled out of court.

Microsoft vs. Testking

Note, without out a doubt braindumping is cheating, unethical, etc but I just have a hard time swallowing someone is let alone dumb enough to sell their "test experience" but that a huge hundred-million dollar organization would just allow it to happen openly? :wtf:

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Drunk Orc posted:

Anyone know off the top of their head how long it takes CompTIA to post certifications to your account? I'm not seeing much about it on their website beside show to order new paper certificates.

Up to five business days.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Asked this before and I never got an answer. What do you guys do to keep your certs from expiring?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Race Realists posted:

Asked this before and I never got an answer. What do you guys do to keep your certs from expiring?

More certs for the cert god.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Race Realists posted:

It probably depends on the issuing body. CompTIA has a continuing education program and as far as I understand, you only have to keep your most advanced cert current. If you have A+, Net+, and Sec+ you only have to keep up on your Sec+. I could be completely wrong too though, I'm new to this stuff myself!

http://certification.comptia.org/stayCertified.aspx

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Thanks for the responses guys.

Are the non-A/Network/Security+ CompTIA certs worth getting? It seems like A+/Network+/Security+ then making a straight beeline to vendor certs is what the cool kids all do

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Related question: If I have Security+ can I just ignore A+ and Network+?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

A+ Yes.

Do you have a basic understanding of TCP/IP/DNS/Subnets/Ports/etc? Then skip the Network+

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I just finished the Stanly Community College VMware course and it's was pretty straight forward. I've done more virtualization with IBM's PowerVM with IVM than x86 stuff and this is much easier.

Everything is just laid out much simpler and easier to follow.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

PneumonicBook posted:

More certs for the cert god.

Pretty much. I only have my GSEC right now but it doesn't expire until like 2018. At which point I should have at least a couple more "higher" (GCIA/GCIH, etc) certs that I can not worry about retaking older ones.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

My problem with security certs is that so much of their content is just rote framework/policy memorization that I really have a hard time giving a poo poo about them.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
Passed the A+ 801 exam after loving around so long. :toot: That was definitely...easier than I thought it'd be, given as I was panicking about it so long. Only took me reading the entirety of the Mike Meyer's book in 2 weeks and watching all the professor Messer videos, and I probably didn't even need to read all of the book.

I feel pretty good about doing the 802, but I'm definitely gonna give myself a little extra time so I don't frustrate myself cramming.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Outside of the small risk of getting pre-screened by some lovely HR "Do you have A+? Y/N" thing, yes. I feel like based on your posts you're past looking for desktop support/help desk roles anyway...?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Doing Security + in a couple weeks.

Just read the book, do the practice tests and memorize the port chart and I'm good right?

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

skooma512 posted:

Doing Security + in a couple weeks.

Just read the book, do the practice tests and memorize the port chart and I'm good right?

I'm doing it in 2 weeks as well - just finished watching the Professor Messer's videos and have printed off the port list to stick on the wall behind my monitor. Next I'm going to do a run through Darril Gibson book, and then either get these practise tests http://gcgapremium.com/sy0-401-security-practice-test-questions/ or splash out for the transcender.

Think that will be plenty as it seems mostly common sense.

Assuming that goes well I'm thinking of either doing Certified Ethical Hacker or CISSP next. The CISSP would be nice but the thought of a 6 hour exam is a bit of a brain killer.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Baconroll posted:

Assuming that goes well I'm thinking of either doing Certified Ethical Hacker or CISSP next. The CISSP would be nice but the thought of a 6 hour exam is a bit of a brain killer.
As much as it gets poo poo on by InfoSec professionals, the CISSP actually holds weight with human resources and recruiters. Definitely head in that direction.

I can't imagine too many people in a position to hire looking at Certified Ethical Hacker on a resume and thinking anything other than, "Oh, ok".

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

Ozu posted:

As much as it gets poo poo on by InfoSec professionals, the CISSP actually holds weight with human resources and recruiters. Definitely head in that direction.

I can't imagine too many people in a position to hire looking at Certified Ethical Hacker on a resume and thinking anything other than, "Oh, ok".

With that said, how different is CISSP from the Security+ exam? If you studied for one would you be prepared for the other?

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

Ozu posted:

You make a good point - there are niche roles within my existing company for Ethical Hackers, but the CISSP is a nice tick box for a lot more possible security roles. I'll bite the bullet and do that next.

The curriculum looks like an extension of sec+ really, so another month of study at lunch/evenings/weekends should get me ready. Next challenge is expensing the exam :)

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Elucidarius posted:

With that said, how different is CISSP from the Security+ exam? If you studied for one would you be prepared for the other?

CISSP goes much, much more in depth than Sec+ and introduces a lot more in the way of frameworks and policies. The questions are also written in a much more confusing fashion. I'd plan to spend at least 2-3 months on it.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Elucidarius posted:

The CISSP covers an incredible amount of material and problem domains. Prepping for the CISSP would make Sec+ completely pointless. Sec+ would do basically nothing for many of the problem domains in CISSP.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Ozu posted:

What do InfoSec people like as far as certs? Are there any?

Baconroll posted:

I'm doing it in 2 weeks as well - just finished watching the Professor Messer's videos and have printed off the port list to stick on the wall behind my monitor. Next I'm going to do a run through Darril Gibson book, and then either get these practise tests http://gcgapremium.com/sy0-401-security-practice-test-questions/ or splash out for the transcender.

Think that will be plenty as it seems mostly common sense.

This is perfect. Thank you goonsir!

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

skooma512 posted:

What do InfoSec people like as far as certs? Are there any?

Probably OSCP and the various SANS certs. I have none of them, still studying on and off for the CISSP.

KERNOD WEL
Oct 10, 2012
Would it make sense to take the RHCSA exam if you haven't had any real experience with Linux beyond some at-home hobbyist tinkering? I would plan on taking the in-person classes before taking the exam, provided my work can give me the time off for that.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

Ozu posted:

Probably OSCP and the various SANS certs. I have none of them, still studying on and off for the CISSP.

GIAC (http://www.giac.org/), SANS just teaches the material/courses.

:eng101:

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
For anyone planning to do the new CCNP, Cisco Press still has a Black Friday sale going on--55% off list price for 2 or more items. I picked up the new CCNP three book set and another book, and the set worked out to $65 before tax. The set retails for $133 on Amazon right now.

http://www.ciscopress.com/

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Some of you guys reference CBT Nuggets, Pluralsight, etc. for your studying. Do some of your employers pay for subscriptions? Do you? Just wondering since their subscriptions are pretty pricey.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

So Security+ has added performance based questions since the Gibson book went to press.

One of the questions could be getting an md5 hash. That's fine, but that feature doesn't come with Windows and you need to get a program for it. How you'll know what to run on the test will be hard unless that program happens to be in the directory you're in. :catstare:

I'm not sure how to feel about them adding things like that and the review books not getting new editions. Luckily I've been looking for supplemental material but someone could just as easily use only the book and show up to the exam only to get dinged on something minor like that.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

skooma512 posted:

So Security+ has added performance based questions since the Gibson book went to press.

One of the questions could be getting an md5 hash. That's fine, but that feature doesn't come with Windows and you need to get a program for it. How you'll know what to run on the test will be hard unless that program happens to be in the directory you're in. :catstare:

I'm not sure how to feel about them adding things like that and the review books not getting new editions. Luckily I've been looking for supplemental material but someone could just as easily use only the book and show up to the exam only to get dinged on something minor like that.

The performance questions are not what I would call difficult. "Performance" is a very loose term to use with them.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

skooma512 posted:

Getting an md5 hash is always going to be the exact same process.

First, you're going to want to break up the data into blocks of 16 32-bit words, pad the data to be divisible by 512 if you need to.

Next, (you might want to use a calculator for this), you just run through a simple 64 step process detailed here: http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1321

And you're done! This'll work on any version of Windows, linux or even mac!

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007

skooma512 posted:

Windows does have a built in method of getting MD5 hashes if PowerShell version 4.0 is installed: Get-FileHash -Path <File> -Algorithm MD5

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I took security+ in October and didn't run into anything close to that. There were a few questions where I had to drag items into boxes or do pulldown selections for routers.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Contingency posted:

For anyone planning to do the new CCNP, Cisco Press still has a Black Friday sale going on--55% off list price for 2 or more items. I picked up the new CCNP three book set and another book, and the set worked out to $65 before tax. The set retails for $133 on Amazon right now.

http://www.ciscopress.com/

Thanks for this, I've been waiting for the new CCNP books to land.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

skooma512 posted:

Not sure what version of the Gibson book you are using but the SY0-401 version of his book shows a screenshot of exactly how to do this on page 389.

In the screenshot it shows them doing a dir which shows md5sum.exe and the also the file you want to hash.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Baconroll posted:

Not sure what version of the Gibson book you are using but the SY0-401 version of his book shows a screenshot of exactly how to do this on page 389.

In the screenshot it shows them doing a dir which shows md5sum.exe and the also the file you want to hash.

I'm doing SY0-301.

He has it in that book too, but they added the practical questions a year or so after SY0-301 was implemented. So the commands themselves aren't deemed as particularly important. I'm almost certainly overreacting, but still.

The Interpolator
Jan 20, 2004
Unorigional Bastard

skooma512 posted:

I'm doing SY0-301.

He has it in that book too, but they added the practical questions a year or so after SY0-301 was implemented. So the commands themselves aren't deemed as particularly important. I'm almost certainly overreacting, but still.

Just check out Gibson's blog and calm down. The performance based questions on the 301 were some of the easiest on the test.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
i was all set and ready to get the Sybex A+ and Network+ books for christmas but to my horror it looks like they'll be scrapping the current tests soon.

Should I wait till N10-006 book comes out, or is it okay to buy and still read them?

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I'll change my suggestion of using Transcender tests for Security+ as they seem awful. I've used them for other certs in the past but for security+ it seems to be lots of random questions and terms that are never mentioned in the study guides including one gem where the correct answer is the key combination needed by Internet Explorer to allow a pop-up window when pop-ups are blocked.

The references for the answers seem like a random list of hits off google including sites in china and diy personal webpage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Are there any recommended CCIE podcasts? I need to do something on my commute other than listen to lovely awesome punk rock from my highschool days on Pandora.