Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I had a decent number of vCOPS questions on my 5.5 exam. It's good to know what the major badges are, what minor badges are a member of them, and what they describe.

Also good to know the update manager patch workflow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
I am now a JNCIS-ENT. Yay, or something.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Just started a week long RHEL7 school. Rh199. Anyone take the 7 course too? It was recently shifted from RHEL6 to 7.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Daylen Drazzi posted:

The exam really hits you hard on networking, storage, HA, FT, DRS, and troubleshooting. I wouldn't even bother with memorizing the minimums and maximums - I think I had one question on them out of 90. Focus on 5.5, download the objectives, and lab the gently caress out of it.

This Sybex book got me through when it was just on the 5.1 version last December: http://www.amazon.com/VCP5-DCV-Cert...p=1418656843840

Passed on the first try.

Definitely DEFINITELY know what dVswitches can do in and out, same for storage. Make sure you're keen on how VMware views what storage is presented to it.

Labbing every single aspect of the book you use is going to be the key. The Stanly course is literally just a rubber-stamp and does not cover anywhere near enough of what the book does, so spend whatever time you need to get the book down pat and practice what it has. Practice, practice, practice - more so than an MS exam.

high six
Feb 6, 2010
Hurray, passed ICND2 this time. Third time is the charm, I guess. Now I can relax this weekend.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
Looking for some advice. I've managed our SQL based grants management software and SharePoint portal for about 6 years, picking up SharePoint and SQL training from LearningTree. No current certs, I had a political science degree and strong process and computer knowledge so I became the project systems guy. I think that, career wise, I want to be in management. Managing policies and processes, staff, choosing software, rather than being the SQL or SharePoint guy. I enjoy being the go between with our vendors and other departments, like translating between our vendor and staff to get something built.

What's the best way to go about this? It seems ITIL may be a good direction, or CAPM/PMP which may be a harder sell for my employer to cover.

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.
I got the green light to do 1-2 training classes in 2015 so I'm going to try and get my MCSA, then MCSE in 2016. That was before I let the CFO know that we actually have 4 training day vouchers and I'm expecting 6 more in January due to increasing licensing with Microsoft, so the cost is a fraction of what the CFO was expecting. So... she's obviously open to spending some cash on training, but the main issue is time out of the office. I've been looking primarily at TLG learning, which offers classes here in Seattle locally, however... after learning that the 410 and 411 exams have overlapping material on the exams, they recommended taking the two classes as close together as possible. I have a feeling my CFO isn't going to let me be out of the office for 10 business days in the span of a month or two.

Are bootcamps a legitimate option? Just from a quick search it looks like there's bootcamps that go over 410, 411 and 412 and their exams in a 9 day period. Looking at it from that perspective it sounds preferable to 15 days out of the office and another 3 days partially spent taking exams. If bootcamps are worth looking into, can anyone recommend a company or two?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Those 4 and 5 day training courses are almost worthless. I've done a few of them in the last few years with our Microsoft vouchers and each one has been a waste of time. I've never done a 'bootcamp' but the problem with these kinds of training courses is you get pulled down to the lowest common denominator in the class which slows everyone down.

I learned more in 2 days working with a Microsoft PFE about SCCM than I did in their 5 day instructor led class.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I just passed the Security+! :slick:

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.

skipdogg posted:

I learned more in 2 days working with a Microsoft PFE about SCCM than I did in their 5 day instructor led class.
Not too familiar with PFE's. I'm guessing they're high level, on-site engineers that you used for... deploying SCCM? Could you elaborate a bit?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I think it means Primary Field Engineers, they're basically consultants employed by Microsoft that will come in and do Microsoft stuff for you. In his case I'm guessing one came in and setup some SCCM stuff.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

skooma512 posted:

I just passed the Security+! :slick:

Congrats! Did you find it difficult?

high six
Feb 6, 2010
So after some thought, decided I'd like to go for the CCNA Security now. Can anyone recommend the best book on the subject?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Drunk Orc posted:

Congrats! Did you find it difficult?

The performance based questions threw me off as I wasn't explicitly prepared for them since Gibson's book predates their invention. The concepts they said I missed questions on weren't what was covered by PBQs, so I think I managed to grope my way to victory on those.

Other than that, I think Gibson's book plus Messer and CBT Nuggets adequately prepared me.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I had 6 performance based questions. 3 were pretty clear, 1 was clear but used some terminology I hadn't seen so I now know I got it wrong, 1 was a bit subjective, and the 6th was really really subjective (e.g. do you put this security device here or here ? I've seen both used 50/50 in the real world so quite how one is the 'correct' place is a total guess).

The multiple choice questions were clear and I didn't see any trick questions.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

goobernoodles posted:

Not too familiar with PFE's. I'm guessing they're high level, on-site engineers that you used for... deploying SCCM? Could you elaborate a bit?

Sure, PFE's are Premier Field Engineers that work for Microsoft. Specialized consultants that help companies out when they need it. We have a 7 figure annual spend with Microsoft via our Enterprise Agreement, and a part of that is we pay for Premier Support. Premier support doesn't suck at all. We have access to a Technical Account Manager (TAM) that handles our Microsoft interactions, we get so many free premier support technical support calls, and a certain amount of consulting hours and training vouchers every year. We can use our consulting hours on bringing in specialized PFE's for whatever we need to do. Exchange, AD, SCCM, whatever. I've been very impressed every time I've dealt with a Microsoft PFE.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Is there anywhere that's just a general tutorial for the Red Hat certifications? I don't want just a braindump, but I could use some directed instructions or tasks, without having to fit the official red hat classes into my schedule.
I've been a linux personal user for about 10 years, and have to manage linux servers for my job, so I'm familiar with the general configuration and upkeep of linux and how to handle myself with man pages, but I'm worried about coming across something that I just haven't had to deal with in the course of my tasks before.

I can bite the bullet on the classes if I have to, but my schedule's pretty erratic so I'd prefer to just have a resource I can turn to when I have free time and need some info, without spending a whole bunch of time googling to find the specific information I need.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

surc posted:

Is there anywhere that's just a general tutorial for the Red Hat certifications? I don't want just a braindump, but I could use some directed instructions or tasks, without having to fit the official red hat classes into my schedule.

This is pretty much exactly what Michael Jang's RHCSA/RHCE book is. Unfortunately he's still working on the RHEL 7 edition and (as far as I know) there's no official release date yet.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Oh well, I'll keep it on my radar at least. Thanks for the heads up!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

surc posted:

I've been a linux personal user for about 10 years, and have to manage linux servers for my job, so I'm familiar with the general configuration and upkeep of linux and how to handle myself with man pages, but I'm worried about coming across something that I just haven't had to deal with in the course of my tasks before.

I can bite the bullet on the classes if I have to, but my schedule's pretty erratic so I'd prefer to just have a resource I can turn to when I have free time and need some info, without spending a whole bunch of time googling to find the specific information I need.

I have the RHEL RH199 book, since I'm in the class right now. I suppose scanning the labs would be a no-no, right?

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

Docjowles posted:

This is pretty much exactly what Michael Jang's RHCSA/RHCE book is. Unfortunately he's still working on the RHEL 7 edition and (as far as I know) there's no official release date yet.

I confirm this as well.

I'd also if you plan on it buy a RHCSA or RHCE cert exam ASAP. If you get it by Feb you can take it any time at a Kiosk over the next year for RHEL6.

Also of note on Red Hat Certified techs: if you don't have an account with RHEL be sure to go make one now. Your cert won't come back as verified on their site unless it's associated with an account. This is a recent change they've done.

Also, just wondering: how easy/hard was the RHCSA6 for you all? It seemed really easy for me. I had plenty of time to triple check everything.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Is it fair to say that a good portion of businesses will still be using rhel6 for a while?

I'm also assuming that getting rhcsa certified for rhel6 will provide more than enough foundation to get it for rhel7.

I know i will need to learn systemd for example, which is quite the :can: from what I've read.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

madpanda posted:

Is it fair to say that a good portion of businesses will still be using rhel6 for a while?

I'm also assuming that getting rhcsa certified for rhel6 will provide more than enough foundation to get it for rhel7.

I know i will need to learn systemd for example, which is quite the :can: from what I've read.

My understanding with Red Hat is that this is the first time they're going to allow people with RHCSA6 to be able to take RHCE7 instead of needing the same version of RHCSA first. I was just able to take the RHCSA6 since it was a major push for everyone in the deptment ot have a Red Hat cert instead of the LPIC, which is now being de-emphasised. (Of course having an LPIC is still a good way to get into the department)

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

madpanda posted:

I probably deal with over 1000 support tickets on Linux boxes ever year covering hundreds of different customers across all sorts of industries - I see a pretty even split of RHEL 5 & 6, with not even 1% using RHEL 7 yet. So I wouldn't worry about about the amount of life left in RHEL 6 as its got years yet.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Technically, WinXP is still supported but only through specific contractual engagements with Microsoft.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

madpanda posted:

Systemd blows service and chkconfig away. How are people complaining about it?

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

From what I can tell the main complaints are that it greatly over-reaches as an init process by trying to control way too many system functions. Additionally the developers apparently do a poor job of fixing bugs and responding to the community in a professional manner.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

madpanda posted:

poor job of ... responding to the community in a professional manner.

linux.txt (though if it's not clear from my posting, I :h: Linux).

If you search around on Google or Hacker News there is no shortage of blog posts going into excruciating detail about why systemd is literally Hitler if you want that perspective.

I haven't spent a ton of time with it yet to really form an opinion. But for better or worse all major distros have accepted it so it is here to stay. Ignore at your own risk.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
Any good practice tests that aren't actual test answers for the ICND2? Been looking and I can't really find anything.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Just got back from passing my 70-680! Wasn't sure when I clicked Finish, I got hammered on a bunch of BranchCache configuration questions when my knowledge of that was basically limited to the fact that it exists and what it does. Time to review that and then onto the next... thinking Security+.

Crunchtime
Dec 16, 2005

I like to move it move it!

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Just got back from passing my 70-680! Wasn't sure when I clicked Finish, I got hammered on a bunch of BranchCache configuration questions when my knowledge of that was basically limited to the fact that it exists and what it does. Time to review that and then onto the next... thinking Security+.

what all did you use to study?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Crunchtime posted:

what all did you use to study?

The Poulton book, the Panek book, and Professor Messer videos.

Of the two books I liked the Poulton one a little better, but they're both good. Work offered to buy me one so I let them buy me the Panek one.

If you're planning on taking it, the one bit of advice I'd offer is to make sure you know DISM command options well, since it comes in for both .wim files and .vhd's, and was covered more than a couple of times in both instances for me (specifically adding drivers, packages, and changing Windows 7 editions).

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I've got a 10% off discount for the CompTIA A+ exam through Pearson, but I noticed there are a lot of sites out there selling discounted vouchers as well. Are any of them legit? Where should I look to get the best discount?

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
Passed my A+ 802. :woop: Finally done with that dull poo poo. Now to go back to studying networking and update my resume...when I find the effort.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
C

Zeratanis posted:

Passed my A+ 802. :woop: Finally done with that dull poo poo. Now to go back to studying networking and update my resume...when I find the effort.

Congrats, I took the 801 and passed easily but never got around to the 802. By the time I was finished studying for it I had job already and kinda defeated the purpose of getting an A+...

...which reminds me, I need to start working on some certs if I ever wanna move up out of help desk/desktop support.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
Does anyone know if Microsoft is doing the 50% off cert tests at Ignite (Teched) in Chicago this year? I did Teched in Houston last year, did not do any tests.
Thinking I should get off my rear end and do 410, 411, and 412 (MCSA Server 2012) considering I have been doing the job for 2 years now.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Meydey posted:

Does anyone know if Microsoft is doing the 50% off cert tests at Ignite (Teched) in Chicago this year? I did Teched in Houston last year, did not do any tests.
Thinking I should get off my rear end and do 410, 411, and 412 (MCSA Server 2012) considering I have been doing the job for 2 years now.

It's a pretty standard offering at their conferences, although I'd still argue that your time at a conference is far better spent networking and going to sessions vs taking tests.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Really REALLY esoteric, but does anyone know if there are any alternatives to IBM's sanctioned super expensive System z training path?

http://www-304.ibm.com/services/learning/ites.wss/zz/en?pageType=page&c=a0000625

I want to get some fundamentals under my belt but I have to do things like eat and pay rent and not die destitute.

Unfortunately there aren't any "z/OS for dummies" books :q:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Martytoof posted:

Really REALLY esoteric, but does anyone know if there are any alternatives to IBM's sanctioned super expensive System z training path?

http://www-304.ibm.com/services/learning/ites.wss/zz/en?pageType=page&c=a0000625

I want to get some fundamentals under my belt but I have to do things like eat and pay rent and not die destitute.

Unfortunately there aren't any "z/OS for dummies" books :q:

Nope. It's the most annoying thing about IBM, I'm sort of surprised that no one hasn't had O'Riley publish a book for IBM's solutions but if you actually want to become proficient you'll need to shell out for training at Avnet, Global Knowledge, Arrow, etc... If you're working for an IBM Partner you should receive a few vouchers a year dropping the class cost by 80%.

I'm suppose to be a Powersystems/IBMi guy but I've managed to hack at it reading through midrange.org and Knowledge Center.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
What's a good PMP basics read-over? I'm toying with What the Future Will Look Like and want to explore shifting from sysadmin into project management as a way to be rid of after-hours and walk-ins.