Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

300-101 down. Can't believe the amount of sims they thew at me. Keith Barker's CBT Nuggets hands on labs covered quite a bit of it, anyone taking 300-101 should definitely have a look at those. On to Switch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

MrBigglesworth posted:

Does your book have any type of labs/labbing software, etc? Mine only has some practice tests.

There's a basic sim that I think Lammele made himself. I'll be happy to dig it up for you when I get back to Canada in a few days.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

Ashley Madison posted:

There's a basic sim that I think Lammele made himself. I'll be happy to dig it up for you when I get back to Canada in a few days.

Thanks!

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

MrBigglesworth posted:

Anyone have CCNA Data Center? Im studying the first book, 640-911 now from Odom, a lot of severe and extreme overlap with CCNA.

Most Ive learned that wasnt about CCNA is Nexus Switches, which we work with in the office. Very similar to IOS, however, you can do network statements with a CIDR notation of /24 if you choose over 255.255.255.0 so to speak so it speeds things up a bit.

Also learned of the "where" command, big woop, and few minor things about VRF and that they have an mgmt interface. Also when dealing with Nexus the interfaces are just ethernet, no specification of the inteface like regular switches of fa0/1 or gi1/0/25 or whatever.

Other than that, feels very deja vuish.

I actually won Odom books as a door prize at an event recently but haven't had time to read them. Let me know how similar the test is to icnd when you take it since you think the material I'd similar.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
I've decided on pursuing CompTIA Storage+ for my next cert - I spoke with my friend over lunch about it today and he thinks it would go well, along with Linux+, as a companion to my VCP5-DCV, rather than pursuing a vendor-specific cert like EMC. The only problem is the lack of study materials. I found two books total for Storage+, and that seems kinda scarce for something that is supposed to be vendor neutral. Guess it's not one of the more popular certs out there, although it does have the advantage of partially fulfilling the CE requirements for my Security+ cert.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Scheduled my 70-410 exam. Anyone taken this recently? How hard/easy did you find it? I've got some study materials on the way, and I've scheduled the test for October but if it seems easy enough and I can get through the materials, I'll reschedule it for an earlier date.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I've decided on pursuing CompTIA Storage+ for my next cert - I spoke with my friend over lunch about it today and he thinks it would go well, along with Linux+, as a companion to my VCP5-DCV, rather than pursuing a vendor-specific cert like EMC. The only problem is the lack of study materials. I found two books total for Storage+, and that seems kinda scarce for something that is supposed to be vendor neutral. Guess it's not one of the more popular certs out there, although it does have the advantage of partially fulfilling the CE requirements for my Security+ cert.

In 10 years in the storage industry I've never met or worked with someone with a Storage+ cert. It's almost without value.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I've never seen that listed anywhere as a preferred cert or requirement. Seems like one of CompTIA's more useless certs like their healthcare IT certs. I'd go with EMC certs first. I had one of their study guide books for their beginning certification. It's kind of like the CCENT in a lot of ways, in that there will be some vendor specific information but that it provides you with more a general base of knowledge that applies to all of storage.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Scheduled my 70-410 exam. Anyone taken this recently? How hard/easy did you find it? I've got some study materials on the way, and I've scheduled the test for October but if it seems easy enough and I can get through the materials, I'll reschedule it for an earlier date.

What's your background managing Windows servers? The 2012 tests are no joke.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I've never seen that listed anywhere as a preferred cert or requirement. Seems like one of CompTIA's more useless certs like their healthcare IT certs. I'd go with EMC certs first. I had one of their study guide books for their beginning certification. It's kind of like the CCENT in a lot of ways, in that there will be some vendor specific information but that it provides you with more a general base of knowledge that applies to all of storage.

I was leaning towards the EMC cert after speaking with the storage guy who is assigned to my unit - he's actually employed by EMC, and he recommended I either go with the Storage+ cert or the EMCISA cert. After speaking with my friend and him recommending the Storage+ cert as well I sort of figured that was the way to go. I may just go for both if push comes to shove - it doesn't sound like it would take me more than a month or two for either one. And as I mentioned earlier the Storage+ cert has the added advantage of giving me enough CEUs to renew my Security+ cert, which expires next year.

It would be nice if there was a clear market leader in storage, like VMware is in virtualization, but from what I can see EMC has about 30% of the market share, with NetApp a close second. My unit uses EMC, however the virtualization position I interviewed for 2 weeks ago uses NetApp, so even in the armed forces there's no consistency across the board. Hell, I may as well add a NetApp cert to the list - between it and the EMC cert I'd have a 50/50 chance of finding a company that uses one of them.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I'm strongly led to the conclusion most CompTIA certifications are worthless when real vendor certifications exist.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Tab8715 posted:

I'm strongly led to the conclusion most CompTIA certifications are worthless when real vendor certifications exist.

Yes and no. I mean, I don't necessarily think a lot of CompTIA certs are great, and they're not on the same level as high level vendor certs, but the amount of CCNAs I've interviewed who don't know non-Cisco-marketing terminology for basic concepts is embarrassing.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Tab8715 posted:

Ehhhhh... Sorta. My opinion about the CompTIA certs is they're entry level. Baaby's first cert if you will. For someone looking to get their foot in the door, they serve a small and brief purpose. After the first 2 years of work experience though I would expect a motivated individual to pick up at least a Microsoft Desktop Cert, CCENT, or something else not CompTIA.

I do list the Project+ I earned through WGU though on my resume, it at least shows I have some concept, however basic, of project management terminology. I wouldn't list a Net+ or A+ on my resume though even if I had them. I'm 12+ years into a IT career at this point though.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

skipdogg posted:

Ehhhhh... Sorta. My opinion about the CompTIA certs is they're entry level. Baaby's first cert if you will. For someone looking to get their foot in the door, they serve a small and brief purpose. After the first 2 years of work experience though I would expect a motivated individual to pick up at least a Microsoft Desktop Cert, CCENT, or something else not CompTIA.

I do list the Project+ I earned through WGU though on my resume, it at least shows I have some concept, however basic, of project management terminology. I wouldn't list a Net+ or A+ on my resume though even if I had them. I'm 12+ years into a IT career at this point though.

I'm 9 years into my IT career and until last week all I could list on my resume was A+, Network+, and Security+. As a lark I also added VCA-DCV, Cloud and Workstation when the exams were free and I passed them. Unfortunately the only thing that ever seems to get traction from headhunters is Service-Now experience as a user (they keep sending me emails about great opportunities as a Service-Now programmer or manager in some other part of the country) or helldesk.

I still think listing A+, Network+ and Security+, in addition to my new VCP cert, are still an overall benefit in a job search - I'm not sure how they would be a detriment, at least.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

skipdogg posted:

What's your background managing Windows servers? The 2012 tests are no joke.

Now you've got me worried :ohdear: Been in IT for quite awhile, but up until 2009 worked in a Novell shop. Been working with Windows servers/AD since about 2010. I currently manage a domain with 7 2008r2 servers and about 200 users.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Daylen Drazzi posted:

It would be nice if there was a clear market leader in storage, like VMware is in virtualization, but from what I can see EMC has about 30% of the market share, with NetApp a close second. My unit uses EMC, however the virtualization position I interviewed for 2 weeks ago uses NetApp, so even in the armed forces there's no consistency across the board. Hell, I may as well add a NetApp cert to the list - between it and the EMC cert I'd have a 50/50 chance of finding a company that uses one of them.

NetApp is very common in the public sector. EMC has a huge product portfolio so their certs will only be useful for a small portion of what they sell and for a very general understanding of traditional storage architecture and protocols. The NetApp cert will be more applicable to a broader range of positions since it covers ONTAP based arrays which are the vast majority of what they sell.

If you're planning on staying on the government contracting side you will probably get more use out of a NetApp cert. NetApp also has a very feature rich simulator that can be used for studying and labs which makes learning it much easier.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Now you've got me worried :ohdear: Been in IT for quite awhile, but up until 2009 worked in a Novell shop. Been working with Windows servers/AD since about 2010. I currently manage a domain with 7 2008r2 servers and about 200 users.

Powershell. For every thing you learn in 2012 R2 you better know its PS equivalent. You're going to have to be able to fly an infrastructure from the shell and if you can't you'll be found out in short order. 2016 isn't going to get any easier if the rumor are true windows default install will be no-gui.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm going to be taking a CCNA course over the next two months. I'd like to set up a GNS3 lab.

I guess I need to acquire some IOS images for cisco, anyone have recommendations on what would be most appropriate at this level of study for the current exams?

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm going to be taking a CCNA course over the next two months. I'd like to set up a GNS3 lab.

I guess I need to acquire some IOS images for cisco, anyone have recommendations on what would be most appropriate at this level of study for the current exams?

I just went and looked for the latest versions I could find, they haven't let me down yet. Not sure if there is a reason you will absolutely need an older version if you're just using GNS3.

If you get physical equipment to play with you'll be limited on which IOS images you can use according to the amount of flash memory the gear has. The 2950 I got from eBay didn't have the IOS with the crypto command so I had to hunt down the one that did and load it. That in itself was a good experience to have though.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
just found out that the ccna exams don't allow calculators

gently caress

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Race Realists posted:

gently caress

You don't need one.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Just practice multiples of 16.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Race Realists posted:

gently caress

You are provided a whiteboard and marker. Take the time allotted for the survey to break down an octet into slash notation, subnet mask, and number of hosts. Use the whiteboard as a lookup when needed.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
I like to have notes around my weaker subjects, and read them just before I go in so its really fresh in my mind, and then jot it down on that whiteboard that you get given as soon as you walk into the testing room.

A good one to write down if you're uneasy about subnetting and can do a bit of mental arithmetic or use your whiteboard:

No of Subnets = 2^n, ( n = Number of borrowed bits from host)
No of Hosts per Subnet = (2^h - 2), ( h = Number of Host bits)

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Any flavours of IOS of 15.x should be fine, even 12.4 should be at least 95% correct as there is very little difference between them, its not like moving from IOS to NX-OS

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 26, 2015

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Just failed 70-410.

Advice: Know your Hyper-V. Holy shitballs they were throwing poo poo at me I hadn't even heard of. What the gently caress is Virtual machine Chimney?

Know your network services too. Not just DNS\DHCP but VPNs, firewalls, what ports things run on. All that.

Free second shot. :hurrah:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
"Virtual Machine Chimney, which is new in Windows Server 2008 R2, enables virtual machines running within the Hyper-V server role to benefit from the TCP Chimney Offload feature. Virtual Machine Chimney can offload external virtual network processing from multiple virtual network adapters to a physical network adapter on the management operating system. When Virtual Machine Chimney makes TCP Chimney Offload available to virtual machines, the management operating system can also use TCP Chimney Offload for normal network traffic. Offload processing for virtual adapters is not prioritized; processing is offloaded on a first-come, first-served basis."

Yeah I don't what any of that means why don't you quiz me about something I'll use thanks. (e: Also, I may be misreading that, but why would you need to offload traffic from one NIC to another unless the first NIC is completely saturated? Tell you what, if your 10g or 1g NIC is the bottleneck in your equation, then mazel tov my man, but I can't imagine needing to offload traffic. Plus doesn't EVERYONE separate management and VM traffic, if not via VLAN tagging, via NIC? Why would I want to use my management NIC for VM traffic? I split them up for a reason...)

I guess fundamentally, Microsoft and I have different opinions. I believe that the MCSA/MCSE relate to administrating Server, and that Hyper-V is effectively a separate product. Microsoft doesn't make the distinction, which means the new certs are incredibly difficult because I just Can't Even with Hyper-V.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 06:43 on May 27, 2015

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
I had a lab, the books and a practice test and I never once saw a reference to Chimney. I'm not that butthurt about it but seriously, its called "Chimney".

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Yes the books and the tests have profound disconnects. Hyper-v is such a complex feature that it needs it's own discipline, even if the hyper-v they ship in the box is extremely anemic on features. Everyone who's taken a microsoft test vs other established tests can vouch for it.

Don't forget SCCM (referenced on a surface level) and sharepoint (also surface level)!

Also nobody uses Chimney. The amount of heartache from vendor-specific implementation (gently caress you brodcomm and your lovely rear end drivers) is never worth the implementation.

Then again, I just failed my 70-646 (644 :argh:)

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I've probably said it multiple times in this thread now, but sometimes I wonder if the guy who writes the Microsoft tests does side business with the test dump websites. It's almost like their tests are designed to make people seek out the answers to their trivia questions.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
It's like some horrendously misguided attempt to make their test un-dumpable. Make the tests so complicated that you believe no one could possibly memorize the answer pool. Question: how could then one memorize the material?

I make one good point year, and I made it a month ago, so I'll make the same one again. Do not make your certification tests so convoluted that my best method for passing the test is to download the test dump, then use the answers from the dump to browse Technet and find out why that's the answer. Honestly, for 2012, and you can believe this or not but I would appreciate you believing it, I've not done a tremendous amount of studying, and no test dumps have passed infront of my eyes. But I've got to believe based on what I've been told about the test, and what I know about the available study material, that the only way to get a non-upgraded 2012 MCSA (much less the MCSE, although from what I can tell, 70-413 and 414 might be the easiest 2 tests) is by either killing yourself, or reading a test dump.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I think they could create a very challenging, but fair, test if they gave you access to an archive of Technet or the powershell help files during the test.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Swink posted:

Just failed 70-410.

Advice: Know your Hyper-V. Holy shitballs they were throwing poo poo at me I hadn't even heard of. What the gently caress is Virtual machine Chimney?

Know your network services too. Not just DNS\DHCP but VPNs, firewalls, what ports things run on. All that.

Free second shot. :hurrah:
Last I'll say. Was curious about this since I hadn't heard of it. Searched my 8,709 page Technet dump and, well:

Features removed from Windows Server 2012
Hyper-V - VM Chimney (also called TCP Offload) has been removed. The TCP chimney will not be available to guest operating systems.

Da fuuuuck? Why is dude being asked about something that doesn't exist?

Here's the Technet article that the dump is referencing: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831410.aspx

Microsoft MCSA: Just dump it because we're going to ask you about poo poo that's not even in the OS anymore.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

If you think thats bad think of how many admins had to study and learn network access protection (NAP) only to be depreciated in 2012.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think they could create a very challenging, but fair, test if they gave you access to an archive of Technet or the powershell help files during the test.

Fair would be to ask a question that has SOME ASPECT of the content that located in the goddamn book somewhere.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

incoherent posted:

If you think thats bad think of how many admins had to study and learn network access protection (NAP) only to be depreciated in 2012.

Hey, that's me! I'm taking 70-411 today!
Gotta memorize this poo poo!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

A good rule of thumb for Microsoft tests, is if it's a new feature or technology, you're going to get asked about it. Reading the "What's New" in <whatever> might as well be study prep for the exam.

edit: Finished reading the new posts

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Last I'll say. Was curious about this since I hadn't heard of it. Searched my 8,709 page Technet dump and, well:

Features removed from Windows Server 2012
Hyper-V - VM Chimney (also called TCP Offload) has been removed. The TCP chimney will not be available to guest operating systems.

Da fuuuuck? Why is dude being asked about something that doesn't exist?

Here's the Technet article that the dump is referencing: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831410.aspx

Microsoft MCSA: Just dump it because we're going to ask you about poo poo that's not even in the OS anymore.

Swink should contest that question with Microsoft. It shouldn't be in their test bank for the 410 exam if it was removed. Ironically the most recent born to learn blog post covers this.

https://borntolearn.mslearn.net/b/weblog/archive/2015/05/26/lets-talk-about-item-challenges-how-the-process-works

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 27, 2015

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I also love that with all the heavy Hyper-V saturation in the 410 there is a whole other exam (the 409) dedicated to Hyper-V which is considerably easier (for me at least).

The new job will be paying for my certs and training so I'll likely take another stab at the 410 soon but god drat I am not looking forward to it.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

m.hache posted:

I also love that with all the heavy Hyper-V saturation in the 410 there is a whole other exam (the 409) dedicated to Hyper-V which is considerably easier (for me at least).

The new job will be paying for my certs and training so I'll likely take another stab at the 410 soon but god drat I am not looking forward to it.
Oh you gotta - even myself, I need to finish closing on this house and then after that I intend to hit some certs full speed.

That technet dump that was posted is still the best resource, the only problem is that 8709 pages is a bit of a beast to browse through. My tablet for example, scrolling through that PDF is very slow. So I did the simple thing - split the 8709 pages into eleven 800 page PDFs. Now I can browse it quickly from the tablet, get some reading done anywhere.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Oh you gotta - even myself, I need to finish closing on this house and then after that I intend to hit some certs full speed.

That technet dump that was posted is still the best resource, the only problem is that 8709 pages is a bit of a beast to browse through. My tablet for example, scrolling through that PDF is very slow. So I did the simple thing - split the 8709 pages into eleven 800 page PDFs. Now I can browse it quickly from the tablet, get some reading done anywhere.

That's still a ridiculous amount of information to have on hand at any time though. I can't imagine memorizing even a portion of it and have it be useful.

The test are really tough for people who aren't already immersed daily into the environments. Even with test environments a lot of the poo poo they were asking on the tests were so out of scope from what I thought I was supposed to be studying it wasn't funny. I'm sitting here setting up DCs using powershell, working with core setups and understanding as much of the features provided as possible and they ask me questions "Which menu can you find memory NUMA settings". 2 seconds of actually being able to click through the menu system I could discover this information and yet that's how they qualify my expertise on the test.

I feel like the tests should be more "When would you want to adjust your NUMA settings" or "What situation would you want to configure NIC Teaming".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Has anyone used Pluralsight? It comes with my MSDN Subscription and is free!