Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Make sure you go to a reputable one, though. My friend still doesn't have his because years ago the one he paid disappeared overnight, and he hasn't shelled out the $500 again since.

If there's one at a college near you, I'd suggest that one.

Yeah this is basically exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
CompTIA uses Pearson vue, and has you go through the PV site to book a test. Pearson should hold high standards for their centers, and being a big business you should never run in to scam centers. If you have a bad experience I'm sure they have remediation procedures.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Was this true 5 years ago? Because that's when it happened. Probably too late anyway.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Was this true 5 years ago? Because that's when it happened. Probably too late anyway.

Yeah probably. He should've gotten a print out of his results with Pass/Fail on it at the test center. CompTIA will use scans of that for issues and they do investigate pretty quick, to their credit.

I don't remember if they were still doing their perpetual certs 5 years ago or not. Ultimately though, it's a CompTIA cert.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

MrBigglesworth posted:

Ashley Madison did you get your CCNA DC 640-911 yet? I can't remember. I think I am close to wanting to schedule mine. Seems like I said, lot of overlap with regular ICND1 with NX-OS instead, and for that, pretty minor differences.

Practice tests are doing ok, cept for this one ACL question I got, from the look of it the ACL would allow http 80, but block ftp 21 for a specific computer, but EIGRP was involved and since you have the deny any any statement at the end, it would not have really let anything through since you didnt specifically allow "permit eigrp any any" as a statement. Wondering if there is any of that kind of "gotcha" crap on this test.

The 640-911 is basically a single test CCNA with NX-OS. If you're comfortable with the ICND1 material then learning the NX-OS commands should be easy enough. The second test is the dumb product knowledge test.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Yeah probably. He should've gotten a print out of his results with Pass/Fail on it at the test center. CompTIA will use scans of that for issues and they do investigate pretty quick, to their credit.

I don't remember if they were still doing their perpetual certs 5 years ago or not. Ultimately though, it's a CompTIA cert.

The place disappeared before he could take his test.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Obviously can't speak to 5 years ago but nowadays you're paying Pearson directly, not any specific testing center. While there are definitely testing centers that are better than others they can't just vanish and take your money with them. I'll second trying to take it at a local university or community college; they often have an area and staff designated for these kinds of tests so they'll usually have a competent setup.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Without going into too much detail, I failed one of the ccnax sims because of a gotcha involving an acl. They said I needed 3 lines in the acl, I met all criteria in 2. I tested every connection method they specified and was permitted/denied in all the right places.

I either missed allowing the routing protocol (which didn't affect the current environment) or I was expected to put in an explicit deny any any at the end instead of relying on implicit.

I still passed the test but I was loving pissed when the "network security" score came back at 40%.

Always explicitly state your deny any any. Don't rely in the implicit one and remove all ambiguity. This could likely have been the case.

starry skies above posted:

How comparable is the CCNA: Security exam to the 2nd part of the CCNA in terms of difficulty?

I've heard that the CCNA Security exam is basically all ASA configs. Personally I would buck up to the CCNP Security and just bypass the CCNA Security entirely, but I don't know if that fits in your future plans or not.

edit: clarity

ChubbyThePhat fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 1, 2015

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Garrand posted:

Obviously can't speak to 5 years ago but nowadays you're paying Pearson directly, not any specific testing center. While there are definitely testing centers that are better than others they can't just vanish and take your money with them. I'll second trying to take it at a local university or community college; they often have an area and staff designated for these kinds of tests so they'll usually have a competent setup.

Definitely pick these if possible, the first cert I took was a pretty lovely testing area where I'd be shocked if they weren't closed down by now. Could've cheated extremely easily if I wanted to. The other tests I took were at a community college where the proctor had a solid view of my screen and the general area along with a camera and another was at my local DOE with decent monitoring.

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Always explicitly state your deny any any. Don't rely in the implicit one and remove all ambiguity. This could likely have been the case.

I've heard that the CCNA Security exam is basically all ASA configs. Personally I would buck up to the CCNP Security and just bypass the CCNA Security entirely, but I don't know if that fits in your future plans or not.

edit: clarity

It's one of my remaining 8 classes at WGU.

Sypher
Feb 4, 2003
Greetings everyone! I recently got my foot in the door at an IT company that manages and installs firewalls for hundreds of locations all across the US. I am currently a Tier 1 shitstain. Today they offered to pay for 1 of 3 certifications(Classes + Test):

Netowrk+
CCENT
A unknown Linux cert

Now, I am currently attending community college with the end game getting an associates. The networking class I am currently taking is a straight up Network+ prep guide, so I am obviously not going to have them pay for that one. So it is a toss up between the CCENT and the Linux cert.

-My goal after obtaining an associates degree was to pursue a CCNA Cert, so maybe having them pay for the ICDN1 would be a great head start on that.
-Outside of messing around with Fedora and Gentoo 10+ years ago, I have no real Linux experience.

From talking to HR and a couple of the engineers, our firewalls are straight Linux based and have no GUI. Maybe the Linux cert would have a more immediate impact on my future since I will gain command line experience?

Option 3- Don't take any of them, focus on school and finishing my associates.

Edit: If it helps, our firewalls are Fortigates.

Edit2: I should also mention that in order to take them up on this offer, I would need to sign a 2 year contract to work for them. If I were to quit within 2 years, I would have to pay them for the course out of pocket.

Sypher fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 2, 2015

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

A 2 year contract is loving ridiculous, just pay out of pocket for the cert test.

Get the CCENT

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Sypher posted:

our firewalls are straight Linux based and have no GUI.

Edit: If it helps, our firewalls are Fortigates.

There's something wrong here. I work at a Fortigate shop and there is most definitely a UI. Your engineers may spend all of their time in the CLI (likely), but FortiOS is a proprietary software image to Fortigate. When you say you work with Linux firewalls I would expect more software firewalls (Untangled, IPCop, ZoneAlarm) as opposed to hardware firewalls.

skipdogg posted:

A 2 year contract is loving ridiculous, just pay out of pocket for the cert test.

Also this. 2 years is insane.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
You might be out of pocket a whole $500 for all three of those tests, so gently caress the 2 year contract.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Anecdote but I made a 1 year agreement for the ccnax, and it exclusively benefited my employer. He though holding me for $300 was good enough to avoid giving me a raise for earning my CCNA.

I broke the agreement two months later and paid the $300 fee. My new salary increase covered that in a week and a half.

Might as well pay for it yourself to avoid your employer holding it over your head.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Heck, if the cert can get you a new job, use it to negotiate for a sign on bonus to cover the cost that your old employer is holding over your head.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope
I decided to take a plunge and bought cisco VIRL. The VM requires at least a dedicated 16GB to run like 1Kv, 2xIOSXRv, 4xIOSv topology CE=>PE=>PC=> C => PC =>PE =>CE basically if you are familiar from the service provider standpoint.

I'd say probably not worth the investment unless you got a powerful dedicated box that some of the INE pros run with like 64GB and dual xeon etc.

Stick to GNS3 folks, it works though building networks can be tedious. That was one neat feature in VIRL. IOUL2 is still buggy as gently caress in VIRL too.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Any online Security+ stuff that's decent? I ordered the book that's recommended in the OP but the seller on amazon sent me the entirely wrong one (although it was interesting getting Number the Stars, haven't read that since grade school) so I have to wait on returns and hopefully getting the correct book.

Sypher
Feb 4, 2003

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Anecdote but I made a 1 year agreement for the ccnax, and it exclusively benefited my employer. He though holding me for $300 was good enough to avoid giving me a raise for earning my CCNA.

I broke the agreement two months later and paid the $300 fee. My new salary increase covered that in a week and a half.

Might as well pay for it yourself to avoid your employer holding it over your head.

My concern is actually quite the opposite of this. If I decide to not get the training done through work I am afraid my employer will look at me and say "Oh, well you clearly aren't invested enough in the company, no reason to give you a raise/promotion"

After these responses, I will probably end up passing on the contract. I am getting all the classes paid for via pell grants, I don't understand the point of turning a pell grant down in order to have a contract over my head.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

When you take the CCENT/CCNA, are you given scratch paper to write stuff down on? The binary reference table for CIDRs seems like it would be relatively easy to write out even if you don't have it memorized, but it would be a pain to calculate for every question.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Yes, you will get a sheet of paper or a laminated sheet for the test.

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

Stanos posted:

Any online Security+ stuff that's decent? I ordered the book that's recommended in the OP but the seller on amazon sent me the entirely wrong one (although it was interesting getting Number the Stars, haven't read that since grade school) so I have to wait on returns and hopefully getting the correct book.

Check out https://www.cybrary.it it's free and the classes are pretty decent. I wouldn't count on it as a sole source but it would be great as a supplement.

ok_dirdel
Apr 27, 2003

Professor Messer on YouTube is also good for a lot of the CompTIA certs.

molotoveverything
Oct 18, 2010
I have a bachelor's in information systems from a nice school and I can't find a job, I'm looking at entry-level help desk positions at the moment. How typical is it for people in my position to get the A+ and N+ after getting a four year degree? I find it depressing that even with a degree, employers don't find me qualified enough for an entry-level help desk position. Is there a really good all-in-one study material to study for A+? I understand that such material will have a cost associated with it, I'm okay with that. I'd rather just have an all-in-one resource that will help me prepare, so I don't have to dig through different sources second-guessing myself whether I've covered everything.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
A+ is really only good if you want to do desktop hardware support, which has low ceilings in the tech world. With a 4 year degree you're better starting with the n+ or s+, which should be easy to knock out with a 4 year IS degree. That should get you in the door, and make sure to press in an interview that you're planning on studying for the CCNA or a Microsoft cert or whatever field you want to get in to. You can even give them an estimated date of completion for it, usually 4 months out is a good bet.

Just stress that you're not done learning after your degree and you should be fine. And keep looking for jobs, you'll get a call soon enough.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.
Just started a new job today and looks like I lucked out. Second day I get to start class for openstack certification.

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot

Completed the Scripting: Foundations course tonight. It was easier than I thought (though I was familiar some stuff like Boolean expressions from some math background). All I did was read ten or so chapters from this book which I probably didn't even need to bother with:

Python Programming: An Introduction to Computer Science, 2nd Ed

I also did a fair number of the simpler programming exercises from that book, which were kind of fun.

Basically this course can be completed in two weeks.

Next up is the Java course!

Singh Long
Oct 9, 2012
So I'm planning on going for the Network+ cert. Anyone know which study guide I should get for the N10-006?

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Singh Long posted:

So I'm planning on going for the Network+ cert. Anyone know which study guide I should get for the N10-006?

I used Mike Meyers for both A+ and Net+. If you want free, Professor Messer is pretty good, he has online video tutorials. Went well with the book I bought.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Gothmog1065 posted:

I used Mike Meyers for both A+ and Net+. If you want free, Professor Messer is pretty good, he has online video tutorials. Went well with the book I bought.

Same for me. Mike Meyers and Professor Messer will get you everything you need.

Singh Long
Oct 9, 2012
I figured I'd ask since I went with Sybex for my A+ Exams and used Professor Messer as well. Definitely will look into Mike Myers' book, since I heard good things about it. Thanks.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

starry skies above posted:

Completed the Scripting: Foundations course tonight. It was easier than I thought (though I was familiar some stuff like Boolean expressions from some math background). All I did was read ten or so chapters from this book which I probably didn't even need to bother with:

Python Programming: An Introduction to Computer Science, 2nd Ed

I also did a fair number of the simpler programming exercises from that book, which were kind of fun.

Basically this course can be completed in two weeks.

Next up is the Java course!

We got ourselves another programmer in training! If I ever have to refactor your code (and it's awful) you wont hear the end of it goon sir.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Slow day at work, reading through my Lammle CCNA book:

quote:

I sometimes refer to the CLI as the "cash line interface" because the ability to create advanced configurations on Cisco routers and switches using the CLI will earn you some decent cash!
:jerkbag:

(I otherwise very much like the book.)

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

lol

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

I like it when he talks about using the pipe and says something like "no not THAT pipe hehehe"

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

He's right

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
It's a rough read, man

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Pitched up budget requests for 1 year of cbt nuggets and $1500 for exam certs, or vcp-dcv course and exam. If either one is approved I'll be very busy and very happy. If both get approved I'll have a new job by this time next year.

If neither are approved I'll sulk a little bit and keep chugging along on my own dime using the inferior udemy courses.

If you had to push for one over the other, would you prefer vcp-dcv alone or checkpoint ccsa, CCNA collaboration, vca-dcv (the associate level), sec+, aws CSA, aws sysops admin combined?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

CLI, even outside of networking is worth extra $$$.

People see the black screen with the blinking cursor and they freak out, so when YOU don't, you earn the loving money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

At least he's thorough. Some of these Udemy and CBTnuggets videos I've been watching sometimes feel like they don't go into stuff deeply enough.