Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

psydude posted:

Failed 210-260. Simulator was indeed bugged. Also stupid, because doing the configuration via CLI is way faster for what it was asking. I really wish Cisco would let you go straight for the NP exams if you already have one instead of making you do the NA.

Did you tell the proctor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
You guys are making me nervous. I take 210-260 on Monday afternoon.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

psydude posted:

Failed 210-260. Simulator was indeed bugged. Also stupid, because doing the configuration via CLI is way faster for what it was asking. I really wish Cisco would let you go straight for the NP exams if you already have one instead of making you do the NA.

Holy poo poo, looks like I'm waiting that thing out until I hear about the bug fix

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

You guys should not be failing because of bugs/crashes, please tell the proctor

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

My vouchers are covered under tuition but if i was paying out of pocket I'd throw a loving fit over that

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'll complain on Something Awful instead, thank you.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'll complain on Something Awful instead, thank you.

I talked to Pearson Vue and opened a case with the BBB. If i had a way to contact the person of interest at Cisco responsible for the 210-260 I would.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Zeratanis posted:

Darill Gibson book with professor Messer to fill in any blanks as I got close to the date. I wanna say know your ports but the amount of material I got involving ports was very...small. Your test might be very different from mine though. I will say definitely know your cryptography inside and out though, since that was the subject that threw me off the most on the exam itself.

I took it a while back. The big thing is knowing the differences between the hashing and encryption standards and public key infrastructure. At least for me that seemed to be heavily covered along with your standard attack types and common sense poo poo.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Vadun posted:

I talked to Pearson Vue and opened a case with the BBB. If i had a way to contact the person of interest at Cisco responsible for the 210-260 I would.

What did the proctor say/do when you told them?

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

Vadun posted:

Right, but you didn't tell the proctor which is kind of...the thing that you're supposed to do when something like that happens. PearsonVue will tell you to gently caress off because you didn't follow the instructions for a bugged exam. The BBB will tell you to gently caress off because PV told you in advance if something happens, tell the proctor.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Doug posted:

Right, but you didn't tell the proctor which is kind of...the thing that you're supposed to do when something like that happens. PearsonVue will tell you to gently caress off because you didn't follow the instructions for a bugged exam. The BBB will tell you to gently caress off because PV told you in advance if something happens, tell the proctor.

No instructions were given what to do in the middle of the exam if something goes wrong. There are (and never have been that i've noticed) no proctors in the room with you when taking the exam. How am I supposed to know that standing up from my assigned computer and leaving the room wont simply forfeit me the test? Am I supposed to wave frantically at a camera until the proctor in another room notices and walks in?

As I mentioned earlier, I was super pissed off when I noticed my score at the end. If I had talked to the proctor following the exam I would have been swearing profusely, which I didn't exactly feel was appropriate to do when the woman herself did nothing wrong (and would have gotten me thrown out anyhow).

I dont see the difference in calling into Pearson Vue support 10 minutes later when I get home. If you can't talk to their support lines about this kind of thing, why do they even have one?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

I did. He said he didn't know what he could do. I'll actually probably complain to Cisco through our partner channel.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Vadun posted:

No instructions were given what to do in the middle of the exam if something goes wrong. There are (and never have been that i've noticed) no proctors in the room with you when taking the exam. How am I supposed to know that standing up from my assigned computer and leaving the room wont simply forfeit me the test? Am I supposed to wave frantically at a camera until the proctor in another room notices and walks in?

As I mentioned earlier, I was super pissed off when I noticed my score at the end. If I had talked to the proctor following the exam I would have been swearing profusely, which I didn't exactly feel was appropriate to do when the woman herself did nothing wrong (and would have gotten me thrown out anyhow).

I dont see the difference in calling into Pearson Vue support 10 minutes later when I get home. If you can't talk to their support lines about this kind of thing, why do they even have one?

It's specifically in the exam instructions and agreement that if there's a problem with the exam, like a crash or freeze, you're to immediately inform the proctor. You're not going to forfeit the test by following the instructions. You hosed up by not informing the proctor right away that there was a technical problem with your exam. I've done like a dozen Pearson exams and a few more Prometric (what ever happened to them), and had problems in some of them, this is what you are supposed to do.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Vadun posted:

Am I supposed to wave frantically at a camera until the proctor in another room notices and walks in?

Yes.

This is exactly what every Pearson proctor has told me to do if I have problems. They tell me they're watching the cameras and if I raise my hand, they will come in and help.

You need the proctor to verify the problem before you move on to have a valid complaint.

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

Vadun posted:

You apparently did not read the exam agreement. This is explicitly stated in a form you agreed to.

If the sim was bugged you should have mentioned it then, not after you had found out you failed. No reason for your temper to be up at that point. Again, even if you had mentioned it after you received the grade report, it would not matter.

I mean feel free to call them and let them know, but don't expect any personal remediation in the form of a refund or retake, because you did not follow the instructions. Escalating the the BBB over your inability to read things you agree to is completely unwarranted.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
It pays to read the stuff you sign each time at a testing center at least once and if you schedule online I'm pretty sure you are presented with the terms there as well

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm kinda pissed off. Yesterday I ordered a Pepperoni Pizza from Dominos and they delivered Cheese. I called them this morning and they said there was nothing they could do and that I should have called them earlier.

I'm going to leave a 1 star rating for them on Yelp.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
So I've got funding for training this year and I want some input. I'm CCNA Routing/Security already, and a lot of what I do is managing our multi-site WAN, but I also have a lot of responsibilities with our virtual cluster (VMWare) and associated hardware and VMs. We are thinking of moving to a 100% VOIP phone system in the next year or two. Funding for training in 2017 and on is not guaranteed.

So the way I look at it I should at least try to get the following certs given my job responsibilities:
CCNP: Routing and Switching
CCNP: Collaboration
VCP: Datacenter
MCITP: Enterprise
RHCSA

Of these, how should I prioritize. My goal is one per year but I could do two. Given that funding for training could collapse after this year, I have a concern that I should try to get a good bootcamp for the toughest one.

Spudalicious fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 5, 2016

ZteleME
Dec 27, 2009

Zeratanis posted:

Darill Gibson book with professor Messer to fill in any blanks as I got close to the date. I wanna say know your ports but the amount of material I got involving ports was very...small. Your test might be very different from mine though. I will say definitely know your cryptography inside and out though, since that was the subject that threw me off the most on the exam itself.

Thx, I was able to skate by and pass with just a few points above passing yesterday evening. A pass is a pass! Wtf Comptia needs better test writers for the simulations. Long winded and confusing as all hell.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

Spudalicious posted:

So I've got funding for training this year and I want some input. I'm CCNA Routing/Security already, and a lot of what I do is managing our multi-site WAN, but I also have a lot of responsibilities with our virtual cluster (VMWare) and associated hardware and VMs. We are thinking of moving to a 100% VOIP phone system in the next year or two. Funding for training in 2017 and on is not guaranteed.

So the way I look at it I should at least try to get the following certs given my job responsibilities:
CCNP: Routing and Switching
CCNP: Collaboration
VCP: Datacenter
MCITP: Enterprise
RHCSA

Of these, how should I prioritize. My goal is one per year but I could do two. Given that funding for training could collapse after this year, I have a concern that I should try to get a good bootcamp for the toughest one.

This only my opinion but this worked out for me:

1. VCP
2. CCNP R+S (or collab if you're really interested in voice work)

The rest I would take in order of interest level. That makes you a pretty attractive hire for 1099 work, VARs, consulting, etc.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Keep in mind the re-test frequency on these tests. You don't want to be in the middle of trying to cram for your NP stuff and realize you've only got a couple of months to get your VCP re-upped. The VMware tests are only good for two years, in particular, so plan for having to pass another VCP or delta exam somewhere in that timeframe.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Some tests have a survey at the start asking about your experience and knowledge of the test subject. Does that have any bearing on the question selection of the test? I've been answering the surveys that I'm a total stupid newbie that knows nothing (which I guess I am) just in case it is a factor.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

No. It's used in aggregate to see if the test's difficulty is tuned correctly.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Spent my month's fun money on a license of Boson NetSim 10 with the ICND2 labs yesterday.

This is like CCNA studying easy-mode for me. I guess I just need things to be structured for me to learn quickly, but I love how these labs are laid out and that I have full functionality for STP and port-security, etc. on the simulated switches.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

If you can't be bothered to act like a normal human being and inform the test Proctor while you're running into issues instead of yelling to someone that can't confirm your story after the fact. You need not worry about the certification because you probably won't secure a job that requires the certification anyway.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
210-260 this afternoon been hittin 86-95% on the boson practice exams so hopefully I can wing it

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

crunk dork posted:

210-260 this afternoon been hittin 86-95% on the boson practice exams so hopefully I can wing it

If you hit the bugged sim make sure to tell your proctor immediately and possibly get a refund if you fail it. Or don't tell the proctor, bitch in this thread a bunch, and accomplish nothing.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Haha it's paid for by wgu tuition so I'll scream my head off if anything doesn't work right. I really want to know which one it is before going in but that's touchy on NDA poo poo

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

From everything I've read, the sim is bugged on every exam. So you can either wait until they fix it, or focus on the multiple choice questions instead.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
So I'm going down the WGU route to upgrade my associates to a bachelors, and from what everybody in this thread has said it's well worth the investment. As far as the quality of the non-cert classes, are they pretty easy / well organized? Or is there a clear-cut difference between a cert class and the others? Are non-cert classes just "read thing, take test" or is there a lot more involvement there?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Judge Schnoopy posted:

So I'm going down the WGU route to upgrade my associates to a bachelors, and from what everybody in this thread has said it's well worth the investment. As far as the quality of the non-cert classes, are they pretty easy / well organized? Or is there a clear-cut difference between a cert class and the others? Are non-cert classes just "read thing, take test" or is there a lot more involvement there?
Depends on the course and whether they're graded on Objective Assessments (proctored exams) or Performance Assessments (typically writing or code assignments) or some combination of both. Some are certainly very easy, I took and passed the Critical Thinking and Logic OA without even looking at the course materials, while it's taking much longer to grind my way through ~80 videos for Integrated Natural Science. For something with a PA, here's an example of a performance assessment I'll have to do for the "Data Management - Applications" course.

quote:

Scenario:

You are the database designer and developer for a donut shop that wants to create a smartphone application where customers can order donuts. First, you will design a normalized entity-relationship (E-R) logical database model to store data related to the customer, donuts, and donut order. Next, you will create four tables with primary and foreign keys that are derived from your E-R model. Once the tables have been built, then you will create views and indexes to protect and fine-tune query performance. You will populate each of the tables with sample data. Finally, you will create both a simple “select-from-where” (sfw) query and a complex join query to produce meaningful reports on individual donut orders and summaries to determine which donuts sell the best.
Most of the OA-based classes are "read materials, take test" though.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Non cert classes are a joke imo and you can knock each one out in a week or two depending on how much time you can dump into them daily.

Just failed 210-260 with a 760, lots of poorly worded and vague questions coupled with a few areas that weren't touched at all in the OCG or even Keith Barker's updated videos. I wouldn't even bother retaking it if I didn't have to for my degree. This is the last class before my final paper too

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

crunk dork posted:

Just failed 210-260 with a 760, lots of poorly worded and vague questions coupled with a few areas that weren't touched at all in the OCG or even Keith Barker's updated videos. I wouldn't even bother retaking it if I didn't have to for my degree. This is the last class before my final paper too

The more I hear about the updated test, the more I'm really kicking myself for not taking it back in November. Being slightly ill-prepared would have still given me a chance at passing, it seems like the new test is nearly impossible.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

crunk dork posted:

Non cert classes are a joke imo and you can knock each one out in a week or two depending on how much time you can dump into them daily.

All these stories are making me glad I've been slacking on studying for the ccna sec.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Has anyone taken a masters degree from WGU?

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
If you sell firepower devices you'd probably pass it. Way too many questions on product knowledge for my taste. I've seen a few people saying they had to study CCNP level stuff to find some of the answers they are looking for.

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

SaltLick posted:

Has anyone taken a masters degree from WGU?

I'm enrolled in the MS Information Security and Assurance program, if that's of any help.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Favorite question I got was asking me about a "VLAN hoping" attack.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

crunk dork posted:

Favorite question I got was asking me about a "VLAN hoping" attack.

Really, on a CCNA exam? Well then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Judge Schnoopy posted:

The more I hear about the updated test, the more I'm really kicking myself for not taking it back in November. Being slightly ill-prepared would have still given me a chance at passing, it seems like the new test is nearly impossible.

I took the old one cold in November and just barely failed it. Wishing I had gotten in another attempt before it was retired.

crunk dork posted:

If you sell firepower devices you'd probably pass it. Way too many questions on product knowledge for my taste. I've seen a few people saying they had to study CCNP level stuff to find some of the answers they are looking for.

Yeah the Sourcefire stuff isn't covered in the study guide at all. I wouldn't even say that the exam is hard, it's just full of poorly worded or ambiguous questions, as you already mentioned.