Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

rafikki posted:

Interesting. I wonder how a brand new cert that relatively few people will have heard of, even though it's Cisco, will look on a resume.

I would imagine people going the CISSP track would have a better chance getting more Jr. Level security engineer roles with that cert than say a normal CCNA only if not because it is a "hot new cisco cyber ops" cert

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
What's it consist of? Sourcefire, I'm guessing?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Huh. I'll see if I can find some time to dig into that and determine whether it'd be worth it for me or not.

Chaka
Apr 20, 2011
Any Book recommendations for ROUTE 300-101?
Ive got the ciscopress Kevin Wallace book and i find it rather boring.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

vyst posted:

I would imagine people going the CISSP track would have a better chance getting more Jr. Level security engineer roles with that cert than say a normal CCNA only if not because it is a "hot new cisco cyber ops" cert
Seems like it could be a reasonable alternative to CEH or the like, especially if it gets on DOD 8570. The 2 tests come out in Nov/Dec 2016.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Ozu posted:

Seems like it could be a reasonable alternative to CEH or the like, especially if it gets on DOD 8570. The 2 tests come out in Nov/Dec 2016.

So it's basically a mashup of CCNA Security and CCNA Data Center? I guess it's nice to have a specialized crossover cert for this but there can't possibly be any new information in there that isn't covered by the other two exams.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Has anyone in the voip field done the sip school certs? Thoughts?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I generally don't like posting a question when the previous question hasn't been answered yet, so hey, everyone go answer Bigass Moth's question.

My question: If I take a Microsoft exam from home, what's my experience going to be like? What can I expect as far as, am I going to have to swing a webcam around the room every 5 minutes, am I going to have to make absolutely no sudden movements so as to be considered cheating, am I going to have to empty my pockets at my own dining room table, etc. Just curious about that proctoring over the internet.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
MS has their own course up for the 2016 upgrade exam for MCSAs. Not much more than the layout is out, but if you wanted to take it, here's the info: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/course.aspx?cid=20743

Looks like Nano will be a good sized chunk of something.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

My question: If I take a Microsoft exam from home, what's my experience going to be like? What can I expect as far as, am I going to have to swing a webcam around the room every 5 minutes, am I going to have to make absolutely no sudden movements so as to be considered cheating, am I going to have to empty my pockets at my own dining room table, etc. Just curious about that proctoring over the internet.

That's pretty close to what the experience will be. Webcam swing around the room to show it closed and you are alone. Empty pockets on table in front of camera. Phone always in view of the webcam and obviously never touch it. Mic needs to be on. Basically exactly what you're expecting. I didn't know they let you do it from home though, I only had seen it done at the office.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Just go to the testing center. Come on guys.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

gently caress that I'm taking my ITIL foundations exam next week at home. Gonna give the proctor a surprise when they see my huge donger hangin out.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Tab8715 posted:

Strangely, even though I am in a massive metropolitan area (DFW), I am a good 30 minutes away from my testing center. 30 minutes isn't forever, but it's time. Was going to try for the convenience at home, but even before any answers were provided here (thanks Chubby!), a lot of what I was reading online made it sound pretty obnoxious. Already signed up for my next cert at the local center, but down the line maybe I try one from home.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I took a proctored test at home for WGU last night, forgot to turn off my browser plugins. Halfway into the test I get text messages from Yappy popping up on screen and thought for sure I was going to get disqualified. Luckily they didn't care so much and let me finish the test, but I'm sure if it was a Microsoft test they would have DQ'd me, taken the money, and said better luck next time.

It's really hard to lock down your own computer to the same level as an exam-center PC. Maybe install Windows cleanly to a separate partition and use IE?

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdUAtnHJwRZRwfBL6xoSiUw/videos

:stare:

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I'm sure he's just trying to get young girls into tech!. Right? RIGHT!?

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

:staredog:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I actually feel kinda sorry for someone who has been uploading for that long with that few views, regardless of anything else I should be laughing at.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I actually feel kinda sorry for someone who has been uploading for that long with that few views, regardless of anything else I should be laughing at.

On the one hand, yeah i can feel sympathetic to a guy who makes a 7:30 video on FTP and acls and gets 6 views. On the other hand, after the first three videos fail to hit a combined 200 views common sense would say to move on instead of making 12 more. On the third hand, what the gently caress is this brony poo poo this guy deserves exactly 6 views.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!
I'm pretty sure his viewership just spiked from that getting pasted in here. The real question is, when you hear that voice in a job interview can you stop yourself from laughing?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Judge Schnoopy posted:

On the one hand, yeah i can feel sympathetic to a guy who makes a 7:30 video on FTP and acls and gets 6 views. On the other hand, after the first three videos fail to hit a combined 200 views common sense would say to move on instead of making 12 more.
That's what I mean though, I feel sorry for their inability to know how to do that, not the lack of viewership

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
hosed up part is that im actually learning

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
15 subscribers lol

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Garrand posted:

I'm sure he's just trying to get young girls into tech!. Right? RIGHT!?

How Do We Get Young Women Interested In Computer Scientists?

Lobus
Jun 24, 2016

What happened here?
:parrot:
I get a lot of the Office 365 \ Exchange questions in my organization and I am thinking that this is a good way to round off what I know.

Has anyone gone down the path for the MCSE in messaging?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/mcse-messaging-certification.aspx

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

I also enjoy working right behind a rack of servers.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Moey posted:

I also enjoy working right behind a rack of servers.

Apparently the answer is "put them in the server room where no one has to listen to them." How progressive and forward-thinking.

Edit: the more I look at that picture the more I hate it. ATX cases, rack of crack blowing directly at you, etc.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jun 27, 2016

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Is the one on the right a woman too?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Sheep posted:

rack of crack blowing directly at you, etc.

We put the console in the hot isle because we hate our employees and wish deafness and uncomfortableness upon our admins.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

vyst posted:

Is the one on the right a woman too?

No, of course not.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

Sheep posted:

Apparently the answer is "put them in the server room where no one has to listen to them." How progressive and forward-thinking.

Edit: the more I look at that picture the more I hate it. ATX cases, rack of crack blowing directly at you, etc.

Have you seen the recent season of Silicon Valley? Laughed my rear end off when they wanted to have on site Data Center techs in their cages.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

MrBigglesworth posted:

Have you seen the recent season of Silicon Valley? Laughed my rear end off when they wanted to have on site Data Center techs in their cages.
Small joke easter egg. Notice how drab he is (let me show you the next location where we'd install your device), but notice his datacenter ID badge. It's him like 20 years ago with the biggest, most eager smile.

Best sitcom on television.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Verily. This show points out how accurate corporate deals with IT....

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

MrBigglesworth posted:

Verily. This show points out how accurate corporate deals with IT....

Yep.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Well, gently caress. I just took ICND2 200-101 and flunked (got 801, needed 825).

Used the official cert guide & the practice exams that came with it, plus Boson's practice exams. Was getting 950-1000 on the practice exams, with all the question & answer order randomized, plus all the book questions and part questions. Same strategy got me like 920 the first try on ICND1, but like 25% of this exam was just :wtc:

Sort of don't know what to do now preparation-wise other than cramming the cert guide some more and hope more minutae sticks when I re-take it in a week or so. Is there a practice exam that's a better match to the real one to use? Some other poo poo I'm not thinking of?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
If you were that close you should be fine on the retake assuming you cram the stuff you weren't sure on.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

MJP posted:

MS has their own course up for the 2016 upgrade exam for MCSAs. Not much more than the layout is out, but if you wanted to take it, here's the info: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/course.aspx?cid=20743

Looks like Nano will be a good sized chunk of something.

I scheduled this for the end of October. I hope the curriculum is decent.

edit:

Anyone else going to Ignite in September? This will be my first big IT conference.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 5, 2016

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

sean10mm posted:

Well, gently caress. I just took ICND2 200-101 and flunked (got 801, needed 825).

Used the official cert guide & the practice exams that came with it, plus Boson's practice exams. Was getting 950-1000 on the practice exams, with all the question & answer order randomized, plus all the book questions and part questions. Same strategy got me like 920 the first try on ICND1, but like 25% of this exam was just :wtc:

were the questions that stomped you in your study material?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

skipdogg posted:

I scheduled this for the end of October. I hope the curriculum is decent.

Scheduled the MS course or the exam?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

MJP posted:

Scheduled the MS course or the exam?

Taking the weeklong course.