Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
Are the good CCNA V3 books out yet?

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/ccn...k_clickid=3x231

wargames fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Aug 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
I'm getting a review copy of the OCG next month. Hopefully it's a good one.

minstrels
Nov 15, 2009
I'm looking to start a career in IT and I have no experience other than using computers almost my whole life.

I'm planning on getting an A+ to hopefully get an entry level helpdesk position and also help fill gaps in my knowledge.

I was planning on getting Network+ as well but after reading the first 40 pages of this thread it seems that CCENT is a much better certification. Is this still the case?

Would A+/CCENT get me an entry level position or should I be looking at some of the Microsoft certs? I'd like a good grounding to start my career on that'd give me the flexibility to go into whatever part of IT I'd like after getting experience in an entry level position.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

CCENT would be time/money better spent, it's basically NET+, minus some filler garbage and adding some more indepth stuff.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

minstrels posted:

I'm looking to start a career in IT and I have no experience other than using computers almost my whole life.

I'm planning on getting an A+ to hopefully get an entry level helpdesk position and also help fill gaps in my knowledge.

I was planning on getting Network+ as well but after reading the first 40 pages of this thread it seems that CCENT is a much better certification. Is this still the case?

Would A+/CCENT get me an entry level position or should I be looking at some of the Microsoft certs? I'd like a good grounding to start my career on that'd give me the flexibility to go into whatever part of IT I'd like after getting experience in an entry level position.

Skip A+, get the CCENT, apply for an MSP. Any MSP gig will "fill gaps in knowledge" so much better than the A+ could ever hope for, and you'll get paid for it.

MSP work will build a fantastic foundation to a career, and after a year or two (depending on how much stress you can take) you should be able to jump past helpdesk work.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

I got my foot in the door in a NOC with just a CCENT.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I know this was asked recently and I can't remember the poster who asked, but has anybody taken the CompTIA Linux+ exam? I'm heading in to Part 1 early next week and I honestly have no idea what to expect, because the training materials are so loving broad.

I could get a bunch of order, process, design, workflow, and essential program questions and be rock loving solid.

I could get a bunch of command switch questions (do you want -c or -r or -w?) and be totally hosed because the only way I'll ever memorize that is to sit at a Linux terminal and bash commands in all day, and I don't really have the time.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
I've interviewed about 15 candidates for entry level helpdesk positions lately. I'm throwing resumes with A+ on them straight in the garbage now - it shows me you know absolutely nothing about IT cause you're putting an A+ cert on there. If you don't already know what they're teaching for that cert you aren't going to hack it.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
That's loving stupid, you're a lovely hiring screener. Oh no, the candidate showed initiative to validate their skills in an attempt to get their resume seen by more companies! gently caress those guys!

I hope you get a smelly antisocial annoying as gently caress turd who escalates every tiny thing to fill the position.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Judge Schnoopy posted:

That's loving stupid, you're a lovely hiring screener. Oh no, the candidate showed initiative to validate their skills in an attempt to get their resume seen by more companies! gently caress those guys!

I hope you get a smelly antisocial annoying as gently caress turd who escalates every tiny thing to fill the position.

Personality is the #1 thing I'm looking for. Don't want to derail this thread too bad, but the five or so people I've interviewed with A+ failed at: navigating a fake open-ended CS scenario about wireless connectivity, understanding you need a print driver for a printer to work, and don't know anything about password resets or directories or anything related to entry level helpdesk work. I did have one idiot tell me how he's pretty sure he could solder components back onto a motherboard (??) for about ten minutes though. I don't know exactly what A+ teaches, but it's not even enough to BS through a helpdesk interview sooo

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
It teaches you about card pin outs and Daisy wheel printers. The cert is useless but it shouldn't be a deciding factor in whether someone is hired or not.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Bigass Moth posted:

It teaches you about card pin outs and Daisy wheel printers. The cert is useless but it shouldn't be a deciding factor in whether someone is hired or not.

Used to, 900 level dropped that and a bunch of other outdated garbage.

Don't get me wrong, A+ as their only credential doesn't make for a good candidate, but somebody with a little tech background shouldn't be disqualified for getting a certificate.

I list A+ N+ S+ CCNA R&S on my resume, would you throw mine out as a matter of principal because A+ is poo poo?

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Used to, 900 level dropped that and a bunch of other outdated garbage.

Don't get me wrong, A+ as their only credential doesn't make for a good candidate, but somebody with a little tech background shouldn't be disqualified for getting a certificate.

I list A+ N+ S+ CCNA R&S on my resume, would you throw mine out as a matter of principal because A+ is poo poo?

No, let me clarify: if all you have is an A+, I'm throwing it out. I'd value a six month contract doing nothing but password resets at a call center over an A+ at this point. These are entry level positions - were getting people with just A+'s and they aren't worth anything.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

Fudge posted:

No, let me clarify: if all you have is an A+, I'm throwing it out. I'd value a six month contract doing nothing but password resets at a call center over an A+ at this point. These are entry level positions - were getting people with just A+'s and they aren't worth anything.

If its entry level then just hire someone (A+ or otherwise) with a reasonable personality thats willing to learn. The only people who are going to know how to do the job you've probably already fired or they've been promoted. Unless you're paying better than market rate I wouldn't expect anyone to make lateral moves to your open position that already knows everything you're looking for.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Just barely passed my ICND2 exam

oh man it was close. That test was not easy, ICND1 really gave me a false sense of security.

minstrels
Nov 15, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Skip A+, get the CCENT, apply for an MSP. Any MSP gig will "fill gaps in knowledge" so much better than the A+ could ever hope for, and you'll get paid for it.

MSP work will build a fantastic foundation to a career, and after a year or two (depending on how much stress you can take) you should be able to jump past helpdesk work.

Am I likely to get a job at an MSP with just a CCENT then or should I aim for other stuff too?

I'm currently working as a brewer and I'm looking to switch career after I get married next year so I've got a year to train, essentially. I'm in the UK too, if that helps.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I worked phone sales for an online company for a few years, then got my N+ and landed an msp job. They tend to bleed entry level employees that jump ship to jr admins after a year or two so most openings have a pretty low bar.

CCENT should be plenty to get in the door but expect your salary to be silly low for that first year.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

Renegret posted:

oh man it was close. That test was not easy, ICND1 really gave me a false sense of security.

Way to go hombre :hfive:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Renegret posted:

Congrats! A pass is a pass. I passed one of the msft exams with a 702 once. 700/1000 is the cutoff. I took it

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

skipdogg posted:

Congrats! A pass is a pass. I passed one of the msft exams with a 702 once. 700/1000 is the cutoff. I took it

As my VP likes to say:

What do you call a Doctor who graduated bottom of his class?

A Doctor.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I just failed the mcse 70-413 exam with a score of 653.
It was so much more difficult then the mcsa exams and I could not go back to previous questions. I'm gonna brush up on "plan and implement file and storages services", "design and maintain a dhcp solution" and Design a name resolution policy"

I'm thinking about studying the coming few days and retaking the exam on friday.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
I passed the SIP School SSCA. The material was pretty good and the test was open note. Probably not worth the $400 my company paid for it, but I did learn quite a bit. It was vendor neutral and spent much less time on trunking than I would have liked, but overall it was good for someone of my experience level.

Was looking into the RCHSA but quickly realized I'd never need most of the skills for my job so it isn't a priority, but maybe someday down the road. Guess I'll just keep working and prepare for the CCNP collaboration next year.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sefal posted:

I just failed the mcse 70-413 exam with a score of 653.
It was so much more difficult then the mcsa exams and I could not go back to previous questions. I'm gonna brush up on "plan and implement file and storages services", "design and maintain a dhcp solution" and Design a name resolution policy"

I'm thinking about studying the coming few days and retaking the exam on friday.

You got this! That's only 2 or 3 questions away from a pass.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

skipdogg posted:

You got this! That's only 2 or 3 questions away from a pass.

Thx for the encouragement. I rescheduled the exam for this week. My boss thankfully gave me the go ahead to retake it. Hopefully i'll pass this time.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
640-916 scheduled for this Thursday at 2pm.

Here is hoping it doesnt have 7 or 8 questions that the book doesnt even touch on in passing.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

MrBigglesworth posted:

640-916 scheduled for this Thursday at 2pm.

Here is hoping it doesnt have 7 or 8 questions that the book doesnt even touch on in passing.

Oh poo poo, man. Best of luck to you!

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Bigass Moth posted:

I passed the SIP School SSCA. The material was pretty good and the test was open note. Probably not worth the $400 my company paid for it, but I did learn quite a bit. It was vendor neutral and spent much less time on trunking than I would have liked, but overall it was good for someone of my experience level.

Was looking into the RCHSA but quickly realized I'd never need most of the skills for my job so it isn't a priority, but maybe someday down the road. Guess I'll just keep working and prepare for the CCNP collaboration next year.

How hard was this and how much experience do you have with SIP? I am thinking about taking it, but my company refused to pay for the training, so I would have to take it cold or spend the money myself. Not sure if it is worth it given I have other things to study.

And speaking of that, it sounds like my company is trying to become a VMWare partner. We are not getting that much training, but what there is is being done through work, which means my login to VMWare's site is my work email and everything is done via the partner site. Do this at all tie any certs I earn to my current company if I go elsewhere? I doubt it does but every other cert I have ever got I did myself, and my company has said that certs are 'the employee's responsibility to keep up with' so it makes me paranoid,

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
I have over a year of SIP study.

If you take good notes you will pass. You could probably do it easily if you read and understand all the RFCs. One test voucher is good for three attempts so you can try it and get a feel for it, then have a year to study. I did it in two weeks since I already knew a lot of the material.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I worked phone sales for an online company for a few years, then got my N+ and landed an msp job. They tend to bleed entry level employees that jump ship to jr admins after a year or two so most openings have a pretty low bar.

CCENT should be plenty to get in the door but expect your salary to be silly low for that first year.

How low is silly low? I'm pretty much in the same position as Minstrels. I'm making a whopping 10 bucks an hour doing security and my roommate is now making $83k at Paypal. I need a career starter NOW and I've settled on IT. I had A+ when it was 701/702 but did nothing with it because I didn't want to work at best buy. I was thinking about going for the new 901/902 and trying for N+ and see where I can go with that, but CCENT sounds better so I'll aim for that instead. Also, what is MSP and NOC?

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
MSP = managed service provider (companies that contract out IT services to clients)

NOC = network operations center

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
MSP = Managed Service Provider, basically a company that does outsourced IT for other companies too small to have their own IT department.

NOC = Network Operations Center, first level of escalation for a larger company.

I work at a NOC right now, and we're basically a jack of all trades. We know a little bit about everything but nothing in depth. It's a fantastic starting point because we can get a taste a whole bunch of different technologies and are surrounded by experts knowledgeable in all those fields so we can branch out as we want. You don't need as as technical knowledge because the entire job is centered around communication first and foremost. blah blah blah every NOC is different, but that's how ours operate.

e: it helped a lot with my CCNA to have a department full of CCNAs and CCNPs sitting 10 feet behind more, eager to answer any questions I had (so I can start doing their job for them)

Renegret fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 29, 2016

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I worked for a small MSP, 4 full time techs (including the president who did much more business management work until we got behind, then he'd step in) and 1 part-time or intern. We were the 'IT department' for 30 small companies between 2 and 40 employees with the average being near 8. Most places had a single server running their entire domain, lots were moving to office 365, so many of the places were on autopilot.

Day to day is resetting passwords, cleaning viruses, fielding printer problems, helping with excel, and installing software on new computers. Really basic stuff but the ratio of employees to techs is so high that the work is non-stop wall to wall. Occasional projects come in but they're usually simple and never cutting-edge, and typically you'll be so blinded by the never-ending cascade of poo poo tickets that you won't be able to really dive in to the project to learn every aspect.

Closing 20 tickets every day for a year will teach you a fuckton of useful career knowledge though.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

All right I'm definitely shooting towards the CCENT. What's a decent estimated time of studying to passing the cert? Anything specific to double dip on?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Schroeder91 posted:

All right I'm definitely shooting towards the CCENT. What's a decent estimated time of studying to passing the cert? Anything specific to double dip on?

They're pretty upfront with exam topics:

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/ccna/icnd1/exam-topics

As far as double dipping, subnetting is the single best skill you can walk into the test with. Even non-subnetting questions will have subnetting elements in them. It took me a month, but I'm single and childless so I was able to hammer it out really quickly with a fair bit of work. Even though the OP is out of date, the information is still pretty good. Cisco Packet Tracer is free and will get you through just fine if you don't want to put down a few bucks on some test equipment. The official Cisco Press books by Wendel Odom are dry, and while I personally don't like them, they have all the information you'll ever need for the test.

Also keep in mind that the exam was just revised. Not many people have taken the new version yet so details on the new revision are kind of sparse.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Packet Tracer isn't really free unless you are enrolled in some kind of class though.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

skooma512 posted:

Packet Tracer isn't really free unless you are enrolled in some kind of class though.

It is, since enrolling in the class to get it is free. It's been that way since earlier this year.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I just passed the VCAP6-NV, so if anyone decides they want to subject themselves to a three hour lab exam to provide their NSX chops I can provide advice.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Schroeder91 posted:

Tell us your background and what kind of time you're budgeting and we'll be able to tell you how long it might take.

It took me about 3 weeks from starting to study to passing the test, but I had also taken a year long CCNA course in high school and had a few years of IT industry experience so it was 85% review.

If you were starting from nothing, though, then it would take a lot longer.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

ErIog posted:

Tell us your background and what kind of time you're budgeting and we'll be able to tell you how long it might take.

It took me about 3 weeks from starting to study to passing the test, but I had also taken a year long CCNA course in high school and had a few years of IT industry experience so it was 85% review.

If you were starting from nothing, though, then it would take a lot longer.

Not much of a history. Brief stint at Phoenix Job Corps as a computer tech student and got my A+ and left. Class was a joke, wasn't taught anything but to read a book of outdated poo poo (701/702, it went to 801/801 a month after I got it) I passed the tests first try and bailed. They offered N+ and S+ too and I wish I took them since it was free. I'd say I'm decently proficient in computers. High school classes were only basic stuff and some web development, and multimedia stuff. Unfortunately no CCNA type stuff at the time afaik.

I'm currently watching CCNA/CCENT Training Series (200-120 CCNA, 100-101 ICND1, 200-101 ICND2): in my free time at work. I've also got the Official Cert Guide by Wendell Odom. The videos are a bit older but the book is most recent I believe. I figured I'd watch the videos and takes notes and then hit the book. I learn much better being instructed, and reading is my enemy.

I took a ccent practice test earlier for shits n giggles and got 2/15 correct, the rest was moon language to me haha.

Edit: for time budgeting I've only haven't really put much aside yet. But I have no life and only work and go home so I've got a lot of time, including at work.

Schroeder91 fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
loving failed the Linux+ Part 1 today. Report sheet shows the sections I missed, 101 is great, 102 is OK, 104 is fine, 103: missed every loving subsection. 103.1 through 103.8.

"Working on the command line"

And guess what, they're all flag or option questions that require rote memorization, so yay. "You need to do X. Pick the two commands to do X" and all 5 options are the same command with different option flags or the syntax is in a slightly different order.

I guess that's what I get for assuming this was going to be easy and theory based like every other comptia exam.