Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digitalpope
Feb 12, 2007

penga86 posted:

Glad I'm not the only one who felt it was out of order. It also doesn't help that the "instructor" reads the powerpoint verbatim and sometimes can't even pronounce some of the items properly. When others here said this alone won't prepare you to pass, there weren't kidding.

I'm supplementing by working my way through the Lowe book, and I'll probably watch the CBT videos later on down the road.

I guess I can't complain too much, really...even the all up cost of my lab + books + stanly course is cheaper than almost all of the other courses for the VCP....it just means a lot more solo work on it learning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Vintimus Prime posted:

Thanks for the info. Sounds like I'm in the sand boat.

The 2012 exams are doable but tough with just the MS Press book and lots of lab time. I did the 70-417, which only focused on the 2012 upgrades, but you really gotta know your Powershell syntax and how cmdlets are formed. That counts for as much as, if not more than, the contents of the remainder of the cmdlet. Know what verbs Powershell uses - that really, really helps. Hell, just knowing that it's almost always an actual verb will do you right.

If you can, narrow down your studying and practice to just one exam at a time. I don't know if CBT Nuggets or other methodologies do this - for me, it helped to focus on the material (networking, etc.). Don't rely solely on your included practice questions - look for legit other sources, and vary them frequently so you don't end up just getting good at the practice test vs. knowing the material.

If your workplace is OK with it, ask existing IT people how X feature is set up as you go through its counterpart in 2012. See about replicating it in your test environment, or at least something like it.

But it's very definitely doable - 2008 was just made the standard at my last job and there was zero interest or plans to go to 2012. I wanted to get it in before R2 came out in case MS' exam gods decided to instantly switch it over before good prep materials were out.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Digitalpope posted:

I guess I can't complain too much, really...even the all up cost of my lab + books + stanly course is cheaper than almost all of the other courses for the VCP....it just means a lot more solo work on it learning.

By what I've heard the $4000 courses are just as bad.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Looks like work is gonna pay for MCSA Server 2012 training! Exams 410/411/412. I'll be taking a week long class for each test at the local New Horizons, aside from whatever I get from them, what other training things should I pickup? I've got a server here at home I can basically throw whatever on to play with as well.

stoopidmunkey
May 21, 2005

yep
Anyone got any experience with the SANS GPEN test? My boss had an online credit with them for a class, so he signed me up. CEH and GSEC were cake, so I'm just wondering how tough theirs is. I don't have access to the practice tests yet.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Venusy posted:

I did it recently and passed with 869. There were quite a few question areas that hadn't been covered completely in the practice exams I'd done or from the book I was working from, but I can't remember what they are right now. Overall, aside from panicking a little about those questions, it wasn't too difficult, and there were a few easy questions worth multiple marks. Be clear on subnetting (since it's a pretty easy question if it comes up), and know as much as you can on BranchCache, Scanstate and Loadstate, Windows ADK, group membership, as well as the basics of Group Policy and PowerShell.

Thanks! Glad I went over BranchCache a bit more.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

mattfl posted:

Looks like work is gonna pay for MCSA Server 2012 training! Exams 410/411/412. I'll be taking a week long class for each test at the local New Horizons, aside from whatever I get from them, what other training things should I pickup? I've got a server here at home I can basically throw whatever on to play with as well.

Powershell, powershell, powershell. Breathe it, live it.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Does anyone have any experience with itpro.tv?

I've watched some of their CISSP course and the material they cover seems pretty basic. Is that the nature of the test or just a lack of depth from the course?

KuNova
Oct 12, 2005
I REPORT MODERATORS BECAUSE I'M FUCKING RETARDED
Any thoughts or advice on the CISA exam?

Pantology
Jan 16, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
VCP-NV was announced at VMworld:

http://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrReg/plan.cfm?plan=51111&ui=www_cert

Until February 28, 2015, anyone with a valid CCNA or better can take VCP-NV without the course requirement.

An extremely motivated individual could do an end-run around the VCP-DCV course requirement by going CCNA (DC or R&S) -> VCP-NV -> VCP-DCV.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
So anyone up for these 3 MS vouchers?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

MrBigglesworth posted:

Vouchers for what?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

MrBigglesworth posted:

At this point its better if you took them to SA mart.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

incoherent posted:

Powershell, powershell, powershell. Breathe it, live it.

Luckily I already use powershell quite a bit in my job, but I'll be sure to dig deeper in it. Thanks for the tip!

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

Tab8715 posted:

Vouchers for what?

I have 3 MS vouchers that I am not going to use that I got via my college classes. Im sticking with my Cisco track, so rather than let them go to waste Id rather sell them to someone who can use them. They expire at the end of the year, so they are good for 4 more months. If no further bites here Ill move it to the SA Mart.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Anybody done the aws administration certs and if so any resources you would recommend?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Pantology posted:

VCP-NV was announced at VMworld:

http://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrReg/plan.cfm?plan=51111&ui=www_cert

Until February 28, 2015, anyone with a valid CCNA or better can take VCP-NV without the course requirement.

An extremely motivated individual could do an end-run around the VCP-DCV course requirement by going CCNA (DC or R&S) -> VCP-NV -> VCP-DCV.

I'm in the Stanly course for VCP, but might shoot for this before testing since I'm a CCNA, then grab the DCV afterward.

I'd only do it in this order since there's a time limit of 6 months.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

MrBigglesworth posted:

I have 3 MS vouchers that I am not going to use that I got via my college classes. Im sticking with my Cisco track, so rather than let them go to waste Id rather sell them to someone who can use them. They expire at the end of the year, so they are good for 4 more months. If no further bites here Ill move it to the SA Mart.

If you have the vouchers why not do it? I see far too often where people paint themselves into one-trick-ponies then complain when they are pushed out.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Because I have zero loving interest in Microsoft poo poo. I took 70-642 and got a 500. It was asking poo poo that was not in the book, or mentioned in class. Ill be goddamned if I am going to continue that path of study and not be able to actually study for poo poo on the test.

Cisco is a different beast, and where I work at, there is more than enough for my Cisco needs. The stuff we do for MS Windows Server 2008 is criminally simple otherwise.

Basically, MS can go gently caress itself.

Who wants some slightly discounted vouchers is all Im saying.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I want to fist bump you and knock back some beers. I've not doubled back to 70-642 but I still just do not give a drat about that test or trying it again. I want my 2012 MCSE and it's objectively quicker for me to do 70-642, 70-417, 70-413 then 70-414, but screw that, I might just start over all on 2012 because nope, 70-642, nope.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
:hfive:

I have 2 senior guys on my team and they let their MCSE's expire as we just have so much on the network side in doing various Data Center stuff. Maybe its something Ill circle back on but focus on 2012 stuff when the time comes. Right now, Im 73 days away from graduation and Id rather just take a break after that and resume studies on ICND2 and then eventually Data Center path for CCNA, then CCNP R&S and up the chain.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I want to fist bump you and knock back some beers. I've not doubled back to 70-642 but I still just do not give a drat about that test or trying it again. I want my 2012 MCSE and it's objectively quicker for me to do 70-642, 70-417, 70-413 then 70-414, but screw that, I might just start over all on 2012 because nope, 70-642, nope.

70-642 is stuff of nightmares. I have never hated studying for an exam more than that test. I think we revist this every 20 pages and its not enough.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

mattfl posted:

Luckily I already use powershell quite a bit in my job, but I'll be sure to dig deeper in it. Thanks for the tip!

You're gonna need a hyperbolic time chamber if your New Horizons course is anything like the New Horizons Powershell course I took - lots of high-level, not enough to pass the exam.

Granted, this was back in 2012, so maybe - MAYBE - things have improved, but I'd start reading up the prep books or watching the CBT Nuggets videos now-ish.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

MJP posted:

You're gonna need a hyperbolic time chamber if your New Horizons course is anything like the New Horizons Powershell course I took - lots of high-level, not enough to pass the exam.

Granted, this was back in 2012, so maybe - MAYBE - things have improved, but I'd start reading up the prep books or watching the CBT Nuggets videos now-ish.

The funny thing is by the reading I have done so far on the course, you are going to learn more from the "power shell in a month of lunches" than doing that official coursework in concerns to powershell.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sickening posted:

70-642 is stuff of nightmares. I have never hated studying for an exam more than that test. I think we revist this every 20 pages and its not enough.

That test is a bitch, IMO you have to have this book as a supplement to all the other training materials to pass the test. I failed it, bought this book, then passed it the next time.

http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Serve...server+2008+nap

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
At this point it can't hurt, I'll read a bit of that book and see if it re-motivates me, thank you.

Pantology
Jan 16, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

OhDearGodNo posted:

I'm in the Stanly course for VCP, but might shoot for this before testing since I'm a CCNA, then grab the DCV afterward.

I'd only do it in this order since there's a time limit of 6 months.

The time limit is around existing CCNAs-or-better going for VCP-VN. If you take the Stanly course and then pass VCP-DCV, you could then take VCP-NV at your leisure. There are three pre-req paths for VCP-NV:
- Existing CCNA/NP/IE in R&S or DC (through February 28, 2015)
- Existing VCP-DCV, -DT, or -Cloud
- The NSX ICM class

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

At this point it can't hurt, I'll read a bit of that book and see if it re-motivates me, thank you.

It won't motivate you, its another 700pg hellbook bound with the sorrows of man. However, it expands on every glossed over aspects in the self-paced.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Died of boredom, August 29, 2014.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

The funny thing is by the reading I have done so far on the course, you are going to learn more from the "power shell in a month of lunches" than doing that official coursework in concerns to powershell.

Month of Lunches covered the exact same things as the official coursework. I wish my company sent me for VMware training instead, but oh well.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

incoherent posted:

It won't motivate you, its another 700pg hellbook bound with the sorrows of man. However, it expands on every glossed over aspects in the self-paced.

Yeah, it definitely won't motivate you, but it will cover all the NAP and other networking poo poo that NO ONE IN THE WORLD USES EVER that is on the exam. That was my weakest portion of the test, and that book clarified and covered enough I was able to pass the next go round. That book took me from a 612 to a 760 score on that exam.

TeamIce
Mar 16, 2004
LET JESUS FUCK YOU

So I took ICND1 a few days ago, passed it, found it stupidly easy - was done in about 35 minutes and scored 920/1000 on it.

I've got a structure in place with my boss for a few guaranteed raises on my next 3 certifications -

-CCNA
-finishing my MCSA (need 70-685, already have my 70-680)
- Sonicwall Network Security Basic Administration (we use Sonicwall for a lot of our clients)

If I want to just bang one out and hit my next raise with him, what's going to be my best bet? I've got Todd Lammle's book for the CCNA, which had the first 14 chapters for ICND1, and the last 7 chapters for ICND2. Given that the page count on the ICND2 part is about half that of the ICND1, which I went from starting study to finishing the test in the span of about 2 weeks, could I expect to pull off the ICND2 in a similar timeframe if I study 2-3 hours a day?

I've also read some people advocating taking the 200-120 CCNA composite exam to make things easier to pass, since it will include some questions from the ICND1 - anyone done this?

On the other hand that, I imagine the Sonicwall certification would be fairly easy, looks like it's only about 12-14 hours of actual training material.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
ICND2 is more difficult than ICND1, I think. The number of topics is smaller (that's what makes ICND1 annoying, a shallow exploration of a ton of different topics), but ICND2 provides a deeper treatment of a smaller number of topics, like, say, how OSPF/EIGRP work.

Also, there's a ton of spanning tree problems, and those are annoying as poo poo.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

STP is stupid easy and I don't know why people keep complaining about it.

- find root bridge via priority or BID. use the topology or sh span. Number all other switches in descending priority (I put 2,3,4 on my own topology I draw on the white board)

- all RP ports are DP

- all direct connections to the root are RP.

- get costs of each link. All lower costs are RP from the switch. Other side cannot be blocked.

Finally that leaves you with the ports to block.

Finish all that then answer the question.

Bone
Feb 15, 2007

We're boned.
Once you pass the A+ 801, how long can you wait to take the 802 before it expires? I just passed the 801 and am going to take the 802 in like a month, so I just want to make sure I have time.

kuive
Feb 28, 2014
Are there any vendor agnostic or Debian / Ubuntu Linux certifications that are worth the cost/effort?

I see RHEL starting to fall out of favor with developers, and to be honest, I've always been more comfortable with the Debian way of doing things, so investing in Red Hat-specific certifications doesn't seem like the right move for me.

rouliroul
Mar 8, 2005

I'm all-in.
How useful/marketable is TERP10?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

kuive posted:

Are there any vendor agnostic or Debian / Ubuntu Linux certifications that are worth the cost/effort?

I see RHEL starting to fall out of favor with developers, and to be honest, I've always been more comfortable with the Debian way of doing things, so investing in Red Hat-specific certifications doesn't seem like the right move for me.

There's the LPIC certs which are vendor neutral. I can't say one way or the other how useful and well known they are, though.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

kuive posted:

The RHCSA, RHCE, and analogues are relatively vendor-neutral. Yes, there are Red Hat-isms, but the vast majority of stuff you do cross-applies to other distros, and none of the LPIC stuff or anything else comes close.

But RHEL was never "in favor" with developers, so it can't fall out. RHEL is "in favor" with business and enterprises. The kind of people using Ubuntu on AWS would never have used RHEL in the first place. Developers haven't picked RHEL first since RHEL was... RHEL. RHL used to come first, years ago. And new releases of RHEL get interest (interest and a large bump in new CentOS deployments). But before Ubuntu got popular, developers used Debian or Slack or Gentoo or Mandrake or SuSE, depending on the era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

OhDearGodNo posted:

STP is stupid easy and I don't know why people keep complaining about it.

- find root bridge via priority or BID. use the topology or sh span. Number all other switches in descending priority (I put 2,3,4 on my own topology I draw on the white board)

- all RP ports are DP

- all direct connections to the root are RP.

- get costs of each link. All lower costs are RP from the switch. Other side cannot be blocked.

Finally that leaves you with the ports to block.

Finish all that then answer the question.

The problem isn't that it's difficult- like subnetting, it's not particularly interesting, and the only way to learn it is to do it over and over again, so it tends to be a frustrating point for learners.