Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp

Kaethela posted:

Any advice to someone who's planning on taking it? Specific stuff to memorize, out of left field questions, etc?

Based on my own A+ exam and talking to a few other people that passed it, the questions that caught us all off guard were related to printers. Know the parts, what they do, and the troubleshooting stuff for them. In my exam there were definitely enough printer questions that I wished I had paid more attention to that section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp
So I'm loving pissed right now. I just failed the CCNA Security exam for the second time, this time with a 773. I nailed both ICND1 and 2 the first try. I felt like I really knew the info on this but I think I botched a sim question. The worst thing? Thanks to the NDA I can't talk it over with anyone to see if I'm approaching it all wrong. gently caress you Cisco.

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp

quicksand posted:

Passed the Project+ exam with an 871/900.. so many words I'll never use ever again.

WGU student? How was this test? I have my 70-680 next, and then Project+ is the last cert exam I need to take for my degree. I'm hoping it's as easy as all the other CompTIA stuff I've done.

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp
Because it's :frogsiren:THE FUTURE:frogsiren:

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp

Martytoof posted:

Oh neat. For some reason someone told me the new CCNA Sec. is heavy on ASA. I should probably do my own research before jumping to conclusions, huh.

I found the book to be heavyish on ASA, but the exam not so much. I actually had a hard time with the CCNA Sec, but trying to study while going through a divorce will do that to you.

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp
I've been studying for a month now for the 70-680 with the materials WGU provided. Really had the book down, did all the labs,did well on the practice exams. Last week my mentor suggested I buy the Kaplan practice exams because they give you a better sense of what an MS exam is like, so I did. It was like a foreign loving language. Now I'm 2 weeks out from my test date and scrambling with a different book and different labs. I feel like the stuff WGU gave me was a basic primer for the subject matter, but missed about 90% of the important details. And I'm out of bourbon. :shepicide:

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp

MJP posted:

Why not reschedule the exam? I forget what Prometric's policies are but I think it's free to reschedule up until a certain date very close to the exam.

My term ends at the end of the month so I have to take it and pass or I fail the course.

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp
Taking the 70-680 tomorrow. I read Poulton's book cover to cover, making notes of almost everything (I learn best writing things down), I have about 20 hours of lab time in, I've watched the Professor Messer videos, and I've been doing pretty well on the Kaplan selftest exams. I still feel like I don't have a clue about anything, it's just information overload.

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp
Failed 70-680 with a 680. I was doing pretty well until I got hit with a bunch of IPv6 stuff. I made the mistake of glossing over the networking chapter since I have my CCNA.

Now I have an afternoon in Seattle, where's this legal weed?

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp

Toxteth OGrady posted:

I failed 70-680 with exactly that score recently, chin up man.

Although I still haven't retaken it - I might have to wait a couple of months as I'm way too busy at work to get any time off to retake anyway.

Hope you got a good smoke in Seattle :drugnerd:

Thanks guys, I went to Pikes for lunch and had several people try and sell to me, but I've got an interview today for a Law Enforcement IT job and if I get it I'll probably have to piss in a cup.

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp

Ozu posted:

Possibly related, but what the general requirements to joining say a state police "cyber crimes division"? Massive amounts of forensics experience or do you need to join and work your way over from detective?

Most of the guys I've ever met in that position were police officers first. The Fed puts on some really intensive computer forensics class at FLETC in Georgia, and to qualify go there you don't need to know a whole lot more than the average skilled computer user. Mostly understanding how disks work and some basic command line stuff. The first class (IDEA) is a week and gets everyone up to speed for forensics, but the second class (SCERS) is two weeks and from what I've heard it's a lot harder than the website makes it sound. FLETC also offers a ton of other computer related courses, but those are the big ones. A lot of the other stuff in "Cyber" poo poo is just being savvy about social networking and which hip hops those kids are playing on their boom blasters these days. It is possible to work your way in from the IT side, but it's also possible that at some point you'll likely have to cross over and get sworn in. The exception would be major metro departments.

Here's FLETC's page on it. Technically these are all certs that you would put on your resume so I guess it's relevant.
https://www.fletc.gov/training/programs/technical-operations-division

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp
Not precisely cert related, but does anyone have any book recommendations for learning AD stuff? There's potentially a sysadmin job opening up at my work soon and while I'm doing ok on the networking side, my windows server/AD skills are lacking. We're running 2008R2 for what it's worth. I'm not specifically looking to test on anything at this point, but maybe down the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp
Thanks for the recommendations. I got my boss to order a couple books for me since our training budget poo poo the bed.