Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Just passed my CCNA... barely. I made a pig's ear out of two of the three sim questions and was sweating when I clicked to submit the final answer.
My relief at passing was dampened a lot by a message that the score is provisional and I might have to retake it if they don't think it represents a "valid measure" of my ability. How likely is that? Has anyone here had to do that after getting a low score or is this for if they think you cheated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

psydude posted:

I might add this to the OP just to head people off:

Unless your job specifically requires or will pay for a N+, go for a CCNA instead. You'll cover all of the same material in ICND1 at a lower cost, and the CCNA will have a substantially higher return on investment than a N+.

Bottom line:
Get your CCNA instead of wasting time on the N+

I think it depends on whether you're trying to improve your knowledge or your CV. I did N+ first, as my understanding of networking technology was very poor. I think if I'd just dived into the CCNA I would have really struggled; Lammle even says in his book's introduction that he's writing assuming you're at N+ level.
My employer does pay for my exams though, so it's not like it's my money I'm wasting. :v:

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Anyone know any good videos for powershell? There was one posted in the more poo poo pyo thread some time ago but I foolishly didn't save the link.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Venusy posted:

I'm suspecting that it may have been this one, but the Practical PowerShell Workshop videos also on that channel are also very useful.

That's it, thanks!

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Radio Talmudist posted:

So I'm setting a goal for myself to get at least one cert and a helpdesk job within a year (maybe I'm getting too big for my britches...). Generally speaking, how much time does it take to pursue the A+, N+ and CCENT/CCNAs? Or does it vary dramatically?

It varies and depends a lot on your current knowledge (and how much time you have to study). A+ is simple stuff, but covers a broad range. N+ is more focused and a good introduction to networking basics; I found it the easiest and quickest of the three; took three months of study and that's with a full time job and other commitments. CCNA is a big jump up. The networking stuff is more advanced (and quite interesting), but you also need to learn the CLI back to front. The exam format is horrible.

A+ and N+ is all multiple choice and you can rattle though all the questions you're certain of, flagging any you're not to go back to later. CCNA won't let you reconsider your answers. You have 90 minutes to answer ~60 questions, most of which are multiple choice, but three are configuring virtual networks and are worth lots of points. If you take too long on one config question you'll need to make the hard choice of keeping at it or leaving enough time for the other questions. The pass mark is ~85% so you need at least 2 of them aced (you get next to nothing for partial answers, I've heard).
CCNA took me the longest, mostly because I narrowly failed my first attempt and got disheartened.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Going through some sample questions on the training guide for 70-410 and one of them asked to choose all possible reasons something could fail. They all looked feasible and when I looked in the answers, it said three were correct and I should have chosen D because it was "possible but unlikely". :what:

E: specifically Windows update site being down would stop binaries being downloaded to install a feature is merely technically correct but an invalid answer because Microsoft tries really hard to make sure that doesn't happen.

Does that sort of bullshit really happen in the exam?

bitterandtwisted fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 15, 2016

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Just finished a four day course on AZ103.
12-14 hours a day staring at the azure portal.

Then the labs failed to load in the exam. The invigilator was all “it might not count towards your score :shrug:
Fuuuck
I passed so I guess they didn’t but gently caress me that’s not good for my blood pressure.

Can’t deny it’s a good way to get a cert quickly but drat my brain is exhausted. Gonnae grab a couple tinnies on the train home

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I took a practice exam the night before and I failed - that really knocked my confidence. The questions on the day were better than I expected. One of the biggest advantages of the course was the instructor knew the sort of questions that show up in the test, so there was nothing there I hadn't heard of.

btw killhour, what do you call the people who monitor exam candidates? Didn't occur to me that word wouldn't be used in America!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Congrats!