Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
Well after 12 long years in IT, I'm actually going to get some certs this year! :woop:

The boss has put "get certified" as one of my goals this year, and he's put me up for some targets:

Linux+
MCSE: Communication
Certified Sonicwall Security Admin (CSSA)

Any hints or tips for these baddies? I've got Linux+ in the bag (5+ years RedHat/Debian experience). I'm wondering a little about the CSSA and a LOT about the MCSE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
Does anyone have an experience with training contracts?

My company wants me to sign a 3-year "I will not terminate my employment" contract for every cert I go for, effective the date I get my cert.

I'm concerned because it looks like I get no protection whatsoever. They could fire me because my hair was brown and I'd still be on the hook for the cost of the training and cert.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

routenull0 posted:

Are you being forced to sign it for employment or because they need you to get some certification?

Yearly review objective, they need me to get certified in a few products, etc.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

routenull0 posted:

3) Have a lawyer look it over and see if it holds any water with respect to termination via the company

Option 3 worked out. It only applies if I voluntarily leave. That makes a great deal more sense to me.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
Just passed my CSSA (NS-101) certification. Funny that my 3 year no-quit contact extends beyond the 2-year expiration. I'll renew on my own dime, methinks.

The class was wrought with technical difficulties, so we were able to squeeze out a free SRABA certification class credit from the training vendor. That hits in November.

Never been certified before! :feelsgood:

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
Day 2 of my MCSA Server 2012 Boot Camp...

God, I suck at subnetting. :(

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
Anybody have any experience with the Kaplan Transcender test exams? They're frigging brutal, but my boot camp trainer said they're harder than the actual exam.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

Just the act of doing the math, or something else? Because there are all sorts of tricks to make it easier.

I think it's the math. poo poo like "How many bits are required for a subnet that contains 100 hosts?"

Then again, that was a "Figure out minimum x to accommodate hosts in (2^x)-2 and count the 1s in the host ID" question. I dunno. I just blank at that.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

Sacred Cow posted:

Microsoft want you to come out of training full of ideas hoping that you'll go to your boss and tell them about all the wonderful integrated services WINDOWS SERVER 2012R2 STANDARD AND DATACENTER can offer your business.

I'm more than a little upset over how MCSE: Communication and Messaging (Lync and Exchange) require Office 365 exams now.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
I'm taking my 70-410 exam tomorrow. Any last-minute advice?

I've been getting over 90% on every Transcender practice exam I've taken this week (random 50 questions of 150, 9 runs so far). I'm just terrified that the actual exam is going to "pull a fast one" on me.

The trainer said that the Transcender is more difficult than the actual, but I am wondering if that's just a line. :ohdear:

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

incoherent posted:

but it will ask stupid things

What will? Transcender or 70-410?

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
Failed my 70-410.

If you are using Transcender, dump it. It didn't prepare me for question types/format/material at all. I was passing near 100% with their flash cards and practice exams. I got a 644/1000.

I'm pissed beyond reckoning at this point. What a waste.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

incoherent posted:

I'm so sorry :(

What did your printout say you need work on?

Didn't get a printout. The training center was a malfunctioning dump (adding to my irritation).

Gotta try and get the printout faxed to me, or find a way to get my transcript.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
The proctor/administrator gave me a sob story about how they don't get paid for handling PearsonVUE testing, even though they're forced to administer/proctor 80+ tech vendors and nobody shows up...

I missed the details, I was too pissed off from failing and not getting my transcript to hear very well.