Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I'm planning to write my CEH in the next couple months here. Anyone have any experience with any of the SANS certs? I'm thinking I want a couple before going for a CISSP because I hear that poo poo is rough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Again echoing to know your show commands. Being able to know what you're looking for and how to parse what the router spits out at you will make it indescribably easier. Spending some time with GNS3 will be your best bet here if you are comfortable with the theory already. Also you will literally never not use show commands for debugs. That poo poo will stay with you for the rest of your life as useful information.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Unfortunately I did all of my Cisco practice either in PacketTracer or on a live rack, so I can't speak too much to GNS3. I do know that I have a couple friends that use it, love it, and have never complained they couldn't get something done in it. Not sure if you can download modules for specific hardware or what; best to differ to somebody with more experience with the software.

(I realize I voluntarily submitted this post)

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Congrats! Keep it up!

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

As I don't have many friends that work in IT, and my wife just smiles and nods when I try to talk about this, I have to post here just to say how nice it is once subnetting finally just clicks. That's all. :v:

And now you'll never be able to explain how you do it so fast to anyone. You can only do bitwise breakdowns that just make them gloss over. You have ascended. You have made it.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Getting every question right on subnettingquestions.com. Starting to not need paper, too. Doing a weird amalgamation of the techniques taught by Keith Barker's subnetting course on CBTNuggets and Lammle's chapter in the CCNA book. It works!

One of us. One of us.

Also, I guess I'll keep an eye on that CCNA-Security exam. I'm not too worried about needing to cram to study for it as I should be able to pass it fairly easily, but I would hate to try and line up some of the other certs I want around a date that is no longer possible :psyduck:

Any other security goons have cert suggestions a little more targeted than "CEH, then SANS, plan for CISSP in a few years"? I assume a CCNP-Security is fine to want, but haven't seen a lot of buzz in industry for it.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Mostly looking to steer myself into the security field. Just trying to rough out a long game so that I don't lose sight of what I want and get too complacent or comfortable with where I'm at.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Doug posted:

Security is a really broad field so if you can narrow it down between offense, defense, or forensics, it might be easier to make a long term game plan. Also possible: auditing and management.

True. I feel like I should be heading myself towards the more defensive side of Security Engineers to play to my strengths. I'm always just behind the ball when attempting aggressive topics like vulnerability research, but I admittedly have basically zero professional experience on either side of that coin. Maybe once I poke around and grab study material for a couple certs I can help focus my search.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

psydude posted:

Get R&S. Security engineering is built upon a solid foundation in R&S and layer 7.

I already have my CCNP R&S.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Thanks psydude and Doug. Already having a programmatic background (previous Comp Sci. major), I will continue to look into pen testing in order to shore up my very apparent weaknesses in the area.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Ashley Madison posted:

Going through the official Cisco text for CCNA data centre 640-911 and it talks about TWO TCP/IP layer models in addition to the OSI model.

The only difference between the two is that Layer 1 and 2 are called the "Link" layer on the older one (4 layers), and the newer one (5 layers) goes back to calling them Physical and Data Link. Why not just skip to the end and only talk about the 5-layer model. Cisco :psyboom:

E: Lammelle's text only refers to the 4-layer TCP/IP model.

I didn't know that they still brought up the DoD model and such. I found it useful to help remember what was happening at which layers of the OSI model when I was first getting into networking. Between that a mnemonic device for the actual layers, OSI managed to cement itself into my brain.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Other than the completely inappropriate ones, I was always a fan of: Please Do Not Teach Stupid People Anything

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Ahdinko posted:

I've always known it as American Pussy Seems To Need Deeper Penetration

I hadn't heard this one. Filing that away for later use.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Didn't that stupid A+ book still go over poo poo like IRQ numbers? Or have they finally updated it to not tell you poo poo you don't need to care about anymore.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Has anyone used the Lynda videos for the CCNA? My library just gave its members free access

I have not. Let me know if they're good if you check them out. I have a friend that would appreciate some video sources on top of his book.

Gothmog1065 posted:

800 dropped IRQ/DMA.

Thank god; I was worried. I never did get my A+ but I remember helping a friend study for it in high school. I was of the mindset that I can prove to you I know what I'm doing by actually doing things and explaining them if need be. I used to think having to write a test to get a card that said you knew what you were doing was dumb.

Well isn't my face red a decade later lol

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Roargasm posted:

Does that mean that the book you're reading does have IRQ numbers? If you're reading all about that or the great new control panel in Windows XP you might have the wrong book

Oh god please don't tell me it goes over shared bus too :cry:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Race Realists posted:

you're right for the most part. It IS loving dumb.

But HR and employers want people who have them, therefore we have no choice.

I'm more on the cert bandwagon once you're actually specializing yourself into a specific field. That's fine. But I feel things like A+ are just a waste of time.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

I believe Cisco discontinued that stupid rollover cable nonsense and just went back to standard console cables.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Judge Schnoopy posted:

If you can do subnetting the cli is the least of your worries. Just ? after everything to know your options and it becomes really easy really fast.

This is literally how I work most of the time. What was the order for the damned NAT access list again?

#>ip nat ?
<poo poo I wanted to know here>

Obviously you remember them as time goes on, but it's your go to resource. Although the exam will ask you specific command questions so you do need to know them, your friend ? helps you learn them quite nicely.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Without going into too much detail, I failed one of the ccnax sims because of a gotcha involving an acl. They said I needed 3 lines in the acl, I met all criteria in 2. I tested every connection method they specified and was permitted/denied in all the right places.

I either missed allowing the routing protocol (which didn't affect the current environment) or I was expected to put in an explicit deny any any at the end instead of relying on implicit.

I still passed the test but I was loving pissed when the "network security" score came back at 40%.

Always explicitly state your deny any any. Don't rely in the implicit one and remove all ambiguity. This could likely have been the case.

starry skies above posted:

How comparable is the CCNA: Security exam to the 2nd part of the CCNA in terms of difficulty?

I've heard that the CCNA Security exam is basically all ASA configs. Personally I would buck up to the CCNP Security and just bypass the CCNA Security entirely, but I don't know if that fits in your future plans or not.

edit: clarity

ChubbyThePhat fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 1, 2015

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Sypher posted:

our firewalls are straight Linux based and have no GUI.

Edit: If it helps, our firewalls are Fortigates.

There's something wrong here. I work at a Fortigate shop and there is most definitely a UI. Your engineers may spend all of their time in the CLI (likely), but FortiOS is a proprietary software image to Fortigate. When you say you work with Linux firewalls I would expect more software firewalls (Untangled, IPCop, ZoneAlarm) as opposed to hardware firewalls.

skipdogg posted:

A 2 year contract is loving ridiculous, just pay out of pocket for the cert test.

Also this. 2 years is insane.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

starry skies above posted:

Completed the Scripting: Foundations course tonight. It was easier than I thought (though I was familiar some stuff like Boolean expressions from some math background). All I did was read ten or so chapters from this book which I probably didn't even need to bother with:

Python Programming: An Introduction to Computer Science, 2nd Ed

I also did a fair number of the simpler programming exercises from that book, which were kind of fun.

Basically this course can be completed in two weeks.

Next up is the Java course!

We got ourselves another programmer in training! If I ever have to refactor your code (and it's awful) you wont hear the end of it goon sir.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Slow day at work, reading through my Lammle CCNA book:

:jerkbag:

(I otherwise very much like the book.)

lol

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Doug posted:

A note to both of you. You can take and pass the CISSP without the experience requirement. You're just an associate of CISSP. However, those letters alone are probably enough to get your foot into some doors.

I know the CISSP is widely regarded, but honestly I wouldn't touch that thing with a 10ft pole unless my employer wanted it and was paying for it. There are infinitely more useful certifications for security, particularly SANS and Offensive Security. I'd even pursue something like a CEH over CISSP to be honest with you.

Other than the apparently broader scope, is there much of a difference between the CEH and the OSCP in terms of what an employer would prefer? Lots of the postings I see list them side by side.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Not crazy at all. Wanting to learn it is the best motivator.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Ashley Madison posted:

My workmate just passed her CCIE routing and switching lab. She had to drive from Toronto to North Carolina to do it. 8 hours?! :aaaaa:

I am immensely curious what she had to do for the lab. I am even more curious what they make her do for the troubleshoot. Mind seeing if we can get a tiny bit of insight?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

I have a 10 year goal to get CCIE certified. I'm not even CCNA yet. :sigh:

It's a lot of work but absolutely attainable. Don't go thinking you're crazy just yet!

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Ashley Madison posted:

I'll get her to tell me all about it and relay her story to you guys.

Much appreciated :tipshat:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Question for you security folks: Is there any real difference in candidacy between somebody who has an OSCP and somebody who has an OSCP + CCNP (all other things being equal)? I feel like the CCNP is just a bit of fluff here, but maybe it's dependent on the actual network infrastructure that will be worked with.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

So don't be a dink and let the CCNP expire; go renew that poo poo. Gotcha. (I still have some number of months)

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Yeah I just have R&S. Haven't really thought the CCNP-Security as something I want just yet.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Mugaaz posted:

Just retake Tshoot man, it has to be one of the easiest things to recertify.

Exactly my plan. Already scheduled.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Langolas posted:

Working on my VCP right now... I am seriously lacking motivation. I got my lab built up but I just can't get myself to dig into things.

Anyone got any tips for getting motivated or words of encouragement to kick my rear end into gear? I've got a few months to get the cert done for a personal work goal. Got the other certs done on my list and this is the last one for the list and then next year Ill jump back into my networking certs.

Set a date. The golden rule of making yourself study (for me) is to just set the date and put your money down. That way you're committed. No waiting around or thinking "oh I'll get to it later". Just pick a day, schedule the exam, and get working.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Gothmog1065 posted:

Is there any good resource to test knowledge on the OSI model? I kind of still get crosseyed and look at it wrong, or will I get better at it as I go through Lamelle's book for CCNA?

Which part of it are you having the most trouble with? Remembering the model? What happens at each specific layer? You will certainly become more familiar with the latter as your progress through CCNA study and your best bet with the former is an acronym/mnemonic device (at least it was for me). I was always a fan of "Please Do Not Teach Stupid People Anything" going from Layer 1 - 7.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

It took me forever to remember the encapsulation order...

bit > frame > packet > segment

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

psydude posted:

Looks like I have 4 months to crank out the CCNP security. Good thing my work is paying for all of it.

Let me know how that turns out for you. I'm still uncertain as to whether I want it or not.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Do you have the CCNA yet? From what I've heard it's the CCNA + real world scenarios, so it's more practical knowledge that you will need experience with to master.

Basically this. Take all the stuff you needed to know for CCNA R/S and then instead of asking a question like "What does this do?" you get a paste dump of a show command on a couple devices and asked "Does this work? If not, why not?". There's some extra stuff to learn beyond that as well. Then there's also the third exam which is straight troubleshooting. BUT, it's not so bad really.

I also believe the CCNA is required in order to challenge the CCNP.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Alain Post posted:

ROUTE is going to kick my rear end, man. Studying when you actually have a job is so much harder :smith:

I do all my cert studying on Saturday mornings because of this. When I get home from work my brain is in massive gently caress off mode to the learning process.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Bigass Moth posted:

I have the ccna voice and collaboration. You can't get the voice anymore.

Collaboration will certainly help you out but it is heavily Cisco product focused. Route and switch may be more useful since those principles largely apply across all networking.

My main gripe with collaboration is there is no book, so you will need to study outdated materials and Cisco websites and white papers. I took the voice and video tests so I can't speak for the collaboration test itself, but expect the typical ridiculous Cisco questions.

Would the collaboration exam focus largely on CCM like voice did? Or did they add a bunch of other poo poo to it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

LochNessMonster posted:

Unfortunately I didn't get any anwsers on above question, maybe because it's on the end of the last page. Anyone got any idea which CCNA would be the better choice, Routing & Switching or Security?

I would say get the R/S and look to expand that to a CCNP R/S in the future. A solid networking base will be invaluable in security fields.