Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I've been getting between 90% to 95% on my A+ practice tests, but people recommend I get 100% twice before taking the real test. The real annoying thing is memorizing all the different types of motherboards, CPU sockets, and RAM. I mean gently caress, you either need to be a computer or autistic to memorize all of these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPU_socket

And these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIMM

poo poo like Wireless standards and port numbers are easy because I use them everyday at work, but hell, if I ask any of my coworkers what kind of processor goes into a LGA 775 / Socket T, or "what's the voltage on an ATX motherboard" everyone's like "gently caress if I know, I'd just check online." I've never actually had to change out a processor, because generally in that event it tends to be more cost-effective for us to just replace the motherboard or the whole computer.

I'm sorry, I'm just venting a little frustration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

DropsySufferer posted:

The questions about socket types are no longer on that test, nor were any questions on voltages other then what the voltages were for each color of a 12 pin power connectors. Be aware of ATX, BTX, and NLX the other subtypes are not included. Best advice is read and read some more and eventually some will sink in. Really the worst part about the A+ were the stupid printer questions why the hell would a PC tech need to know the intricate details of how a printer works. If there is a real problem with a printer you call a printer maintenance tech anyway.

Thank God. Getting the different motherboard form factors shouldn't be that bad.

The printer troubleshooting bit IS loving dumb. Like you said, whenever a printer or copier has trouble, I call the tech. Of course, I start learning a bit here and there as our local Sharp guy is the kinda person who really likes talking about printers and won't shut up and get the hint that I have other things to do as I slowly inch away.

From what I can tell... scratches on the drum will leave vertical lines, don't put the wrong paper in, you need a special vacuum to suck up toner, bad rollers will cause jams... and such and such.

Am I going to have to tell what order to put the different colored wires in a RJ-45 Ethernet connector? Because I haven't done that since college, and I've only done it once.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

All right, I got my A+ certification! :toot:

Time to veg out and play some video games before the next cert.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Docjowles posted:

Congrats :guinness: I gotta ask, since you haven't posted about much else in this thread, why were you going after the A+ and where are you hoping to get in a couple years?

Well, I started my A+ before I landed my current job. At the time I was in Call Center hell, but during it I landed a pretty decent job in Desktop Support for a smallish company. Not the most glamorous job, but it's pretty easy and I don't wanna kill myself everyday. Having done the A+ training has definitely helped me in this job, as there's quite a few things they didn't tech me in college. Probably going after Network+ and CCNA next.