Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApocalypseMeow
Mar 4, 2008

I love the smell of Catnip in the morning....Smells like Victory.
Just booked my 70-410 exam for the end of January, so far the studying doesn't seem too tough so far
I'm quite comfortable with Server 2003/2008, although I'm quite new to scripting and have little PowerShell experience so that's what I'm spending the most time on.

I ordered the Learn Windows PowerShell 3 in a Month of Lunches book that seems recommend all over the place.

Are there any other good resources for learning Powershell V3 besides the material I've got and hands on practice?
Has anyone else done 70-410 yet and how did they find it?

I used the voucher to pay for all 3 MCSA Server 2012 exams at a discount to get a jump start on Server 2012, before realising that for 411 and 412 seeing as the books aren't even in print yet :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApocalypseMeow
Mar 4, 2008

madmaan posted:

The book you bought was the best book I ever got for scripting, period. Every other book or guide I ever read for vbscript or powershell was garbage in comparison.

That's a pretty drat good recommendation, I'm hoping it's arrived at home so I can dig through it before dinner now!

"[oMa posted:

Whackster" post="411306767"]
I did the 40-417 last week, which is basically 3 mini-exams of 410, 411 and 412. It was reasonably straightforward; my best tip is make sure you know how to do all the routine server role/feature installation on a core installation. I'd recommend looking at the jumpstart guides from Microsoft itself as there's some excellent stuff on there. The 2-day 70-417 jumpstart course in particular is really good and will give you a great overview of what's required for all three exams. It was a live event, but it's now streamable on demand after registering.

Thanks, will make sure I concentrate more on server core until I'm more comfortable with it and I've found the jumpstart course so that'll be on tonight's menu too.

ApocalypseMeow
Mar 4, 2008

Passed my 70-410 exam on saturday morning. There were surprisingly fewer PowerShell related questions than I was expecting but I'm still glad I studied up on that anyway.

Now I can relax a bit before 411 and 412 as the books aren't even available to buy yet :downs:

ApocalypseMeow
Mar 4, 2008

Passed 70-411 on Saturday, just scraped through with 783/1000 but I'm still really please as I only had 3 weeks of studying.
Just need to pass 70-412 and then I'll have my MCSA Server 2012, then I guess start to look at the next two exams needed for MCSE :eng101:

ApocalypseMeow
Mar 4, 2008

Zaii posted:

Hey, congrats. I'm looking to do my 70-410 and then onto the 70-411. Do you have any resources you recommend?

Spambort posted:

Im taking the same route and any suggestions are welcomed.

If you have access to CBT Nuggets then the videos covering these two exams were pretty good, especially if you make the effort to write notes and follow up with experimenting in a virtual environment.
(Although your mileage may vary if James Conrad drives you mad)

I also used the official training guide for 70-410 but for the other exams they aren't available yet which is a shame because I found it pretty good:
Training Guide: Installing And Configuring Windows Server 2012

If you're a powershell beginner like me then this book is a godsend, recommended by others in this thread:
Learn Powershell in a month of Lunches

I also got Windows Server 2012 Unleashed which is a pretty good book but didn't really help with the exams much to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApocalypseMeow
Mar 4, 2008

b0nes posted:

I have a CBT Nuggets and that dude's voice is driving me loving crazy. He takes too drat long to explain poo poo, and his voice is annoying, plyus all the tangents he goes on.

Yeah I did say it's not for everyone, I have to listen to it with headphones on so I don't get murdered by my missus.
Once I got past the "Wacky" anecdotes they were pretty useful though