Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I've read through the first 50 pages or so of the CompTIA Security+ guide, and they very strongly emphasize that you need to have a Network+ cert before bothering with Security+. I'm skeptical, since of course the guys who administer the tests and write the books want you to pay for and take as many certification tests as possible. If I do exactly as the OP says, read the book a few times and copy the port chart from memory, will I be screwed by my lack of Network+ chops or am I probably okay?

I really just need Security+ (for helping me out in one facet of a job that I already have) and don't want to spend more time and money getting Network+ if I can avoid it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Finally got around to taking Security+, studied for 2 weeks and got a passing grade :toot:

I watched the Mike Meyers Security+ series on Udemy (which regularly goes on sale for $10) and took a zillion practice exams including some that I paid for on Udemy (again, for $10). Was surprised at how ill-prepared I felt for some of the questions, but I guess it worked out in the end