Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

inignot posted:

Also, go look at a crossever cable sometime, one end is A, one end is B.
This was the source of my confusion. I thought he was saying no one used crossover cables anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I got my CCNA a coupleish years ago, and work is paying for CCNP classes for me this year. Do I need to backtrack and learn the new stuff in CCNA v5 before those classes or should I be comfortable that anything I missed from taking the older CCNA I'll more than make up directly in studying for the current CCNP?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

You don't owe them poo poo. I don't owe my employer anything for this, I consider it part of my salary.
Plenty of shops do make you sign something saying that you do in fact owe them a certain amount of time before leaving after they pay for training, so

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Stanley email came today. I'll be in the class starting May 19th.

:toot:

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Ha, that was just what I came to the thread to ask!

To follow up, the course is 5.1, but the latest version of the book by Scott Lowe is 5.5. I get the impression that the course will let me sit the 5.1 or 5.5 cert. People seem to think the 5.1 cert is the easier test?

Should I get the 5.5 book anyway?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

OhDearGodNo posted:

Lucky bastard.

Stanley is adding additional sections for the Summer VMWare course and is emailing people. Keep checking your spam if you're on the waitlist.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Today is Day 1 of the Stanly course, and I live in North Carolina, but I'm cracking up at how much of a southern accent the guy in the videos has. I love that people around the world are taking this course. VMWare: Install, Configger, Manage

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Next round of courses begin in August, current that just started is May-July, waitlist is at https://vmware.stanly.edu/waitlist.php

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

BaseballPCHiker posted:

The only negative is that you wont get the little paper certificate of completion sent to your house.

I used my own address and didn't get a little paper certificate and now I want one.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Drunk Orc posted:

It's not free because the course requirement is already met by a previous class at a different school, apparently.

I thought at WGU you pay by the semester, not the course, and also that you can immediately pass a given course by passing the cert? So presuming you can pass A+ cold wouldn't it be no additional cost to you to get the cert compared to having the requirement waived?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I have about two months before my CCNA expires, so I need to bust something out. I'm brushing up on what I've forgotten from the last few years of not tooling around with Cisco kit, and I think it would be pretty painless to just resit the CCNA. Of course if I'm shelling out the cash I'd rather pick up something shiny and new for the resume.

What is the relative difficulty of CCNA Data Center / Security / Voice? Or maybe just knocking out ROUTE or SWITCH?

Voice is the one I'm most interested in, but also seems to be the one that would require the most $$$ in physical kit to lab, and I mostly just have GNS3.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

GiveUpNed posted:

Apparently I need to be a maintenance Technician before I can even hope to become a network technician. Apparently I need to have hands on experience with the HFC network before I can work on the head end and do networking type things.

If it is networking type things you are interested in, why are you angling for working in a headend instead of a NOC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Wanting to get my VMWare cert. I've been sitting on my Stanley course pass for a while, and the 5.5 VCP test expires in three months. Any advice / study outline to follow to knock this out while I can? I have the Lowe/Marshall Sybex book everyone recommends.